Iron Range vs Duluth All Stars

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins the Cup?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:30 pm

Iron Range
44%
Duluth
56%

Total votes: 9

north_bear

Iron Range vs Duluth All Stars

Post by north_bear » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:30 pm

The annual Iron Range vs Duluth all stars competition and games will be held this Tues in Duluth at the Amsoil and Wed at the IRA in Grand Rapids. It is an entertaining, fun event. The game can be more exciting than most and the skills competition offers some exciting moments but there can be a bit of down time between events/participants. The game will also be broadcast on TV on My9 for anyone interested in tuning in. Duluth looks like the favorite on paper, with some big well known players. Not surprised that Avery isn't attending but it should be fun to watch Hunter again, last year he was a brick wall.

Should be a good time as a last salute to the 2014 season.

http://www.kernz.com/v3/event_01.html
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:17 pm

This thing snuck up on me this year. I'm watching on TV.

It's unusually low scoring this year, with Duluth up 2-0 after 2. The Iron Range is struggling to break out past the Duluth forecheck, but they have had a few good chances, especially at the beginning of the game, when Zack Strom made some big saves. Phil Beaulieu scored on a blast from the point(Nice to see Phil stick around for this thing before heading back to the USHL), and Aaron Miller of Superior had a crazy goal after stickhandling through the entire Range defense.

Not the wide open goal-fest you expect in an all-star game, but it's being played at a pretty good pace and has been fairly competitive.

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:27 pm

karl(east) wrote:This thing snuck up on me this year. I'm watching on TV.

It's unusually low scoring this year, with Duluth up 2-0 after 2. The Iron Range is struggling to break out past the Duluth forecheck, but they have had a few good chances, especially at the beginning of the game, when Zack Strom made some big saves. Phil Beaulieu scored on a blast from the point(Nice to see Phil stick around for this thing before heading back to the USHL), and Aaron Miller of Superior had a crazy goal after stickhandling through the entire Range defense.

Not the wide open goal-fest you expect in an all-star game, but it's being played at a pretty good pace and has been fairly competitive.
Karl, it looks like there are only 50 people there!

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:44 pm

east hockey wrote:
karl(east) wrote:This thing snuck up on me this year. I'm watching on TV.

Karl, it looks like there are only 50 people there!

Lee
Hey, that's 5 more than last year. :lol:

It'd make a lot more sense if they played this thing at Heritage.

Miller with a 2nd for Duluth. 3-1 now.

wayfncold

Post by wayfncold » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:07 am

Who picks these teams? Seems a shame no one from I'falls, Greenway, Northshore or Ely were represented.

EHSHack

Post by EHSHack » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:32 pm

I mystified at how Brainerd qualifies as Duluth...? Why not put Spinner and Snuggerud on the Duluth team too!
Go Hounds.

Winter is Coming

Post by Winter is Coming » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:47 pm

EHSHack wrote:I mystified at how Brainerd qualifies as Duluth...? Why not put Spinner and Snuggerud on the Duluth team too!
I thought I saw them on the Range team. They are on it when I looked.

How did that turn out last night? I think I saw someplace that Duluth was leading 3 to 1 or something like that.

EHSHack

Post by EHSHack » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:56 pm

Regardless Brainerd doesnt belong on a Duluth OR Iron Range team!
Go Hounds.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:51 pm

This subject comes up every year. Bemidji and Brainerd kids compete and also Warroad kids too. They try to field a competitive team year in year out. The range is too thin for talent these days. Sad but very true.

GR3343

Post by GR3343 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:50 am

northwoods oldtimer wrote:This subject comes up every year. Bemidji and Brainerd kids compete and also Warroad kids too. They try to field a competitive team year in year out. The range is too thin for talent these days. Sad but very true.
Kind of a gong show in GR last night - Duluth team was way loaded in comparison to the IR. Shooting gallery all night for Duluth - very little forecheck, backcheck or offensive presence for the IR. Heard Esse say he wanted his team to have fun but wanted them to play hockey & win the games. Looked like the undermanned IR team just went in for the "fun" part because they sure didn't compete like they cared to be there.
Character is who you are when no one is watching