Senior Festival-Jr Festival and other MGHCA Programs

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

greybeard58

Senior Festival-Jr Festival and other MGHCA Programs

Post by greybeard58 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:30 am

Anyone have the cost for the players in these programs?

inthestands

Post by inthestands » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:00 pm

Jr Festival from a couple years back was $50 try out fee/$225 Festival fee.

Silent But Deadly

Re: Senior Festival-Jr Festival and other MGHCA Programs

Post by Silent But Deadly » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:15 pm

greybeard58 wrote:Anyone have the cost for the players in these programs?
Senior Classic was a very reasonable $150 this year. In addition, the MGHCA found alternative insurance so there wasn't a US Hockey registration fee.

D16Dad

Post by D16Dad » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:31 pm

Anybody have any experience with this MGHCA Development Camp http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/page/sh ... pment-camp? Daughter received an email invitation. Not familiar with it...

JohnnyBuck

Post by JohnnyBuck » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:10 am

It can be good. Typically several girls from your district/regions recieves that letter. Usually referred by your coach. The initial tryouts and practices are not much to brag about, however once the tournament starts it is good hockey. If your daughter gets invited to the Select 15's camp (top 104) or select 54 for 16's and 17's I would definately do it. Very competitive hockey and lots of scouts.

D16Dad

Post by D16Dad » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:13 pm

Yes, my daughter will be participating in the MN Reebok High Performance program again this year. This Development Camp is affiliated with MN Girls Hockey Coaches Association (MGHCA). Just not familiar with it, hoping to get some feedback...

MinnGirlsHockey

Post by MinnGirlsHockey » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:27 am

JohnnyBuck wrote:It can be good. Typically several girls from your district/regions recieves that letter. Usually referred by your coach. The initial tryouts and practices are not much to brag about, however once the tournament starts it is good hockey. If your daughter gets invited to the Select 15's camp (top 104) or select 54 for 16's and 17's I would definately do it. Very competitive hockey and lots of scouts.
I think pretty much any girl high school player can attend this MGHCA Development Camp nowadays. It used to be called the Freshman/Sophomore Development Camp but they opened it up to grades 9-12 last year. It's first-come, first-serve -- there are no tryouts or tournaments. Just training during the day and scrimmages on most evenings and Friday afternoon. Similar to the Senior Classic, new this year you do NOT need to register with USA Hockey.

TaNite

New "Premier Prep High School Showcase"

Post by TaNite » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:37 am

I saw that the following information was recently published on the MGHCA website:

PREMIER PREP HIGH SCHOOL SHOWCASE COMING!!
The Minnesota Girls Hockey Coaches Association would like to invite players to learn more about the new "Premier Prep High School Showcase" which replaces the High School Junior Festival. The HS Showcase will be held in June at Fogerty Arena in Blaine.

The MGHCA Premier Prep High School Showcase will be held on June 16 - 18th at Fogerty Ice Arena.
The format for this year will be:
Monday June 16th: 1 game (Evening Times)
Tuesday June 17th: 1 game (Evening Times)
Wednesday June 18th: 2 games (Afternoon and Evening Times)
Exact schedule will be released after tryouts and teams are determined.

Does anybody know why Junior Fest is being replaced? I'm thinking perhaps one or all of the following...
- Not enough participation in recent years?
- Not enough Juniors nominated by their coaches this year?
- Not competitive enough with only 1 H.S. class represented?

It does seem a bit strange to me to have this event during the week. Perhaps this was done for the convenience of (at the request of?) out-of-town college coaches? It looks like the first 2 weekends of Os Prospects are now immediately before and after this new HS Showcase event.

Maverick2000

Post by Maverick2000 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:55 am

I think this new system is a terrible loss to incoming seniors that need to be seen and recruited by at least D3 colleges. This new format will be the prospects jv as all the top players will be at prospects and the others will be at this new league.

Otter

Post by Otter » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:47 pm

Last year was the first time that I know of that Junior Fest was held on the weekend, and it clashed with the 2nd OS Prospects weekend so it was not well attended. That would be the reason it was moved back to the weekdays, which is good. Now "all the top players" can do both again.