Jack McNeely commits to UNO

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

keepyourheadup wrote:You indict a kids ability and I give two examples of kids that got labeled in much the same way, nothing more...thats it...don't look to deep..let time determine if the kid can play or not.
Likewise :wink:

Agree about time.
loonanny

Post by loonanny »

Let me see if I have this straight...a JUNIOR in his third year of varsity play at LN , who played on the state AA runner-up team, SCC conference champion team, was his team's best defenseman over a 30+ game season, recorded 30 points while playing a tough schedule, played in the elite league as a junior on the team that won the league title and was drafted by a USHL team after his sophomore year, is 6'3" 180 lbs, is being ripped on this forum for committing to UNO why? Isn't this the type of kid you would expect to be recruited by D1 schools? At least Blais, along with Motzko and Sandelin thought so. Isn't this the type of kid whose comittment to a d1 program should be celebrated by the likes of puckbreath and the other so-called hockey genius types with an obvious acumen for evaluating D1 talent? Lean in on this thought fellas...let the likes of Dean Blais and Troy Jutting populate their team with the players their many years of experience coaching at the D1 level deem to be worthy and you go back to selling cotton candy at the dakota county fair. Embarrassing!
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

loonanny wrote:Let me see if I have this straight...a JUNIOR in his third year of varsity play at LN , who played on the state AA runner-up team, SCC conference champion team, was his team's best defenseman over a 30+ game season, recorded 30 points while playing a tough schedule, played in the elite league as a junior on the team that won the league title and was drafted by a USHL team after his sophomore year, is 6'3" 180 lbs, is being ripped on this forum for committing to UNO why? Isn't this the type of kid you would expect to be recruited by D1 schools? At least Blais, along with Motzko and Sandelin thought so. Isn't this the type of kid whose comittment to a d1 program should be celebrated by the likes of puckbreath and the other so-called hockey genius types with an obvious acumen for evaluating D1 talent? Lean in on this thought fellas...let the likes of Dean Blais and Troy Jutting populate their team with the players their many years of experience coaching at the D1 level deem to be worthy and you go back to selling cotton candy at the dakota county fair. Embarrassing!
Welcome to the forum, with your first (?) post !
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

loonanny wrote:Let me see if I have this straight...a JUNIOR in his third year of varsity play at LN , who played on the state AA runner-up team, SCC conference champion team, was his team's best defenseman over a 30+ game season, recorded 30 points while playing a tough schedule, played in the elite league as a junior on the team that won the league title and was drafted by a USHL team after his sophomore year, is 6'3" 180 lbs, is being ripped on this forum for committing to UNO why? Isn't this the type of kid you would expect to be recruited by D1 schools? At least Blais, along with Motzko and Sandelin thought so. Isn't this the type of kid whose comittment to a d1 program should be celebrated by the likes of puckbreath and the other so-called hockey genius types with an obvious acumen for evaluating D1 talent? Lean in on this thought fellas...let the likes of Dean Blais and Troy Jutting populate their team with the players their many years of experience coaching at the D1 level deem to be worthy and you go back to selling cotton candy at the dakota county fair. Embarrassing!
All spot on! Ps-you have the BEST username I have ever seen!
loonanny

Post by loonanny »

Typical retort. And yes it is my first post. Thank you. I have read this forum for many years at the behest of co-workers with the same passion for high school hockey. You know...water cooler banter. I have enjoyed the content for the most part, especially the informative stuff like Karl's Monday morning rankings. Uninformed dribble like yours about the skating of a 16 year old on the other hand wears thin and serves no purpose. For the previous stated reasons, I regret ever having read this thread but will continue to read the informed stuff by the informed posters.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

loonanny wrote:Typical retort. And yes it is my first post. Thank you. I have read this forum for many years at the behest of co-workers with the same passion for high school hockey. You know...water cooler banter. I have enjoyed the content for the most part, especially the informative stuff like Karl's Monday morning rankings. Uninformed dribble like yours about the skating of a 16 year old on the other hand wears thin and serves no purpose. For the previous stated reasons, I regret ever having read this thread but will continue to read the informed stuff by the informed posters.
Gee, I'm hurt. :wink:
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

My favorite part about this thread is puckbreath saying mcneely is just another dman picked for his size that can't skate, yet you turn around and say how impressed you were with Wolffs skating! McNeely is a MUCH better skater than Wolfe. In fact, skating is wolfes biggest weakness. Pretty confident gophers didn't give him an honest look because of the fact that his weak skating would struggle on big sheet at mariucci.
loonanny

Post by loonanny »

puckbreath wrote:
loonanny wrote:Typical retort. And yes it is my first post. Thank you. I have read this forum for many years at the behest of co-workers with the same passion for high school hockey. You know...water cooler banter. I have enjoyed the content for the most part, especially the informative stuff like Karl's Monday morning rankings. Uninformed dribble like yours about the skating of a 16 year old on the other hand wears thin and serves no purpose. For the previous stated reasons, I regret ever having read this thread but will continue to read the informed stuff by the informed posters.

Crickets....
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

Sats81 wrote:My favorite part about this thread is puckbreath saying mcneely is just another dman picked for his size that can't skate, yet you turn around and say how impressed you were with Wolffs skating! McNeely is a MUCH better skater than Wolfe. In fact, skating is wolfes biggest weakness. Pretty confident gophers didn't give him an honest look because of the fact that his weak skating would struggle on big sheet at mariucci.

NO ! Wolff is a MUCH better skater !

(this is where it's your turn now).

:roll:
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

loonanny wrote:
puckbreath wrote:

Crickets....
Hey, I'm just happy this thread was able to draw you out of your "read this forum for many years..." but haven't posted a single time until now shell.
:wink:
gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 »

loonanny = Lou Nanne??? Welcome to the board Sweet Lou!
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

He's entitled to his opinion isn't he? That's the point of this forum, isn't it? To discuss opinions about high school hockey players? If his opinion is that he needs to work on his skating, then come back with your opinion why that isn't the case. If you regret ever having read this thread.... Well then see you later. Unless barking at people is your thing. Then allow me to retort: Karl puts out his rankings on Sunday, not Monday. And it's drivel, not dribble. Embarrassing!
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
BlueLineSpecial

BlueLineSpecial wrote:
He's entitled to his opinion isn't he? That's the point of this forum, isn't it? To discuss opinions about high school hockey players? If his opinion is that he needs to work on his skating, then come back with your opinion why that isn't the case. If you regret ever having read this thread.... Well then see you later. Unless barking at people is your thing. Then allow me to retort: Karl puts out his rankings on Sunday, not Monday. And it's drivel, not dribble. Embarrassing!
PS welcome to the forum :D :wink:
loonanny

Post by loonanny »

I read them Monday morning and I stand by what I said. Give the kid some credit. Apparently the coaches at the next level do.
BlueLineSpecial

loonanny wrote:
I read them Monday morning and I stand by what I said. Give the kid some credit. Apparently the coaches at the next level do.
I've got no doubt that if the coaches at UNO see him as having a lot of upside that he absolutely does. Good size, good potential. Haven't seen him enough to comment one way or another but I wish this kid a lot of luck. I love seeing another MN kid make the jump to a great college program. Hope he excels.

That said, if several people only just saw this kid at the tourney, and they thought he struggled, well then it is what it is. Nothing like a little motivation to get the fire started
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

What is the over/under on Lakeville North parents that have made their first post on this site since March 1st? I put it at 8. Though at least one uses more than 1 name :idea:

Oh North picked up their first boys title tonight Sats, too bad Tubby was an idiot and didn't recruit Macura.
Cootslayer

Post by Cootslayer »

Sats81 wrote:My favorite part about this thread is puckbreath saying mcneely is just another dman picked for his size that can't skate, yet you turn around and say how impressed you were with Wolffs skating! McNeely is a MUCH better skater than Wolfe. In fact, skating is wolfes biggest weakness. Pretty confident gophers didn't give him an honest look because of the fact that his weak skating would struggle on big sheet at mariucci.
Actually, having spoken with quite a few D1 folks. They all gave the kid an extra look. In the end, it wasn't the on ice that made folks shy away.

You can start with something that is easy. Why did he only play 23 out of 25 games?

That is all. I know how Karl feels about the kids personal lives.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Cootslayer wrote:
Actually, having spoken with quite a few D1 folks. They all gave the kid an extra look. In the end, it wasn't the on ice that made folks shy away.

You can start with something that is easy. Why did he only play 23 out of 25 games?

That is all. I know how Karl feels about the kids personal lives.
Delving into kids' personal stuff? Bad idea.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

BlueLineSpecial wrote:
Right on BLS.
OnFrozenPond

Post by OnFrozenPond »

puckbreath wrote:
loonanny wrote:
puckbreath wrote: Gee, I'm hurt. :wink:

Crickets....
Hey, I'm just happy this thread was able to draw you out of your "read this forum for many years..." but haven't posted a single time until now shell.
What difference does it make if it's his first post or his thousandth? Everyone starts at one sometime.
loonanny

Post by loonanny »

goldy313 wrote:What is the over/under on Lakeville North parents that have made their first post on this site since March 1st? I put it at 8. Though at least one uses more than 1 name :idea:

Oh North picked up their first boys title tonight Sats, too bad Tubby was an idiot and didn't recruit Macura.
Thanks for the 8 goldy, but I only deserve a 6. And BLS for correcting my word selection but I really can't help that since I have a severe case of lexdysia and always seem to get my words and thoughts forback and wardward. But I degress.

As I said, my first post... as I consider myself a reader. I enjoy the Hub, Follow the Puck and this forum. College-wise I am a big fan of GPL, like to read what Chris Dilks has to say, enjoy Goon's World, the Ciskie Blog etc. I also like the real Lou Nanne when he is on with Bump, which I guess also makes me a listener.

The thing that prompted this first post happened a few years ago with a thread like this concerning Luke Voltin. At least I think it was him. A commitment thread just like this one anyway. I was appalled at the negativity as these types of threads always tend to lean towards the positive. I didn't get that one and don't get this one. Maybe there is a bias as keep-m-up suggests, regarding certain people and towns. Yeah, I'm going with keep-m-up on this one.

Anyway, opinions do matter, ignorant or otherwise, so here is mine: The Luke Voltins and Jack McNeelys of the world may play in the NHL or they may do nothing with their opportunities but the fact remains they have the opportunity and that in itself is special. Good luck to them and others like them.

Now back to Doc Emrick. The best play-by-play man in all of sports. My opinion of kourse.
agate88

Post by agate88 »

I watched both teams several times this season and there is no question McNeely is a much more polished skater and player than Wolfe from Eagan. IMO Wolfe made it on raw talent/strength and needs to improve on fundamentals to compete at the new level.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

agate88 wrote:I watched both teams several times this season and there is no question McNeely is a much more polished skater and player than Wolfe from Eagan. IMO Wolfe made it on raw talent/strength and needs to improve on fundamentals to compete at the new level.
Not as familiar with either player as some are here, but college coaches will sometimes take the player who they believe has the best upside potential, even though they are currently a little "rough around the edges" and are in need of some "polishing". If a player - and particularly a D-man - has enough of that "raw talent/strength" that coaches believe can be developed into polished players they will be all over them to add to their program. One that comes to mind: Brady Skjei of the Gophers who has improved at least five-fold from the beginning of his freshman year last season to where he is now.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

OnFrozenPond wrote:
puckbreath wrote:
loonanny wrote:
Crickets....
What difference does it make if it's his first post or his thousandth? Everyone starts at one sometime.
Why nothing of course.

In fact, some people like it so much, they do it over and over !

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
agate88 wrote:I watched both teams several times this season and there is no question McNeely is a much more polished skater and player than Wolfe from Eagan. IMO Wolfe made it on raw talent/strength and needs to improve on fundamentals to compete at the new level.
Not as familiar with either player as some are here, but college coaches will sometimes take the player who they believe has the best upside potential, even though they are currently a little "rough around the edges" and are in need of some "polishing". If a player - and particularly a D-man - has enough of that "raw talent/strength" that coaches believe can be developed into polished players they will be all over them to add to their program. One that comes to mind: Brady Skjei of the Gophers who has improved at least five-fold from the beginning of his freshman year last season to where he is now.
Very true.