Who's Not Returning 2014-2015

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

The Exiled One

Who's Not Returning 2014-2015

Post by The Exiled One » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:04 am

Previous Lists
2009-2010
2010-2011
2011-2012
2012-2013
2013-2014

Try to include a link to your source if you can. I might take your word and add your player to the list if you have a history of sharing accurate information.

I know some would like me to add JV departures, but that's difficult to track and less consequential than varsity departures. So, the rule is, if they had played varsity and were still eligible to play varsity as of the final varsity game, they will be added to the list. Those who left before the season ended last year were already added to the 2013-2014 list.

Code: Select all

Class Pos Player            HS Team              New Team               College
So    F   Joey Anderson     Hill-Murray          NTDP                   Minnesota-Duluth
Jr    F   Sam Rossini       Burnsville           Waterloo-USHL          Minnesota
Jr    F   Kiefer Bellows    Edina                Sioux Falls-USHL       Boston University
Jr    F   Blake Lizotte     Chisago Lakes        Minot-NAHL             St. Cloud State
Jr    F   Austen Long       Spring Lake Park     Omaha AAA              Colorado College
Sr    F   Matthew Freytag   Wayzata              Tri-City-USHL          Wisconsin
Sr    F   Tom Novak         St. Thomas Academy   Waterloo-USHL          Minnesota
Sr    F   Jake Wahlin       White Bear Lake      Tri City-USHL          St. Cloud State
Sr    F   Jason Krych       Totino-Grace         Tri-City-USHL          Minnesota State-Mankato
Sr    F   Brock Boeser      Burnsville           Waterloo-USHL          Wisconsin
Sr    F   Zak Lambrecht     Chisago Lakes        Bauer-Emerson
Sr    F   Jared Bethune     Warroad              Prince George-WHL      N/A
Fr    D   Jack Lagerstrom   Blake                Shattuck
Jr    D   Ryan Zuhlsdorf    Edina                Sioux City-USHL        Minnesota
Jr    D   Tyler Jutting     Mankato West         Shattuck
Jr    D   Matt Hellickson   Rogers               NTDP                   Notre Dame
Sr    D   Tye Ausmus        East Grand Forks     Lincoln-USHL
Sr    D   Adam Maxfield     Austin
So    G   Jack Robbel       Holy Angels          Shattuck
So    G   Dayton Rasmussen  Holy Family          Colorado Thunderbirds AAA
So    G   Jake Oettinger    Lakeville            NTDP
Sr    G   Vaughan Ahrens    Wayzata              MN Magicians-NAHL
Sr    G   Zach Driscoll     Eastview             Austin-NAHL            St. Cloud State
Sr    G   Andrew Lindgren   Eagan                Corpus Christi-NAHL

*24 kids played at least some time with Achiever Academy in the '13-'14 season. Few, if any, will be playing MSHSL varsity hockey in '14-'15.
Last edited by The Exiled One on Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:29 am, edited 34 times in total.

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:36 am

Exiled - What was the final number from this past season...?

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:44 am

SuperStar wrote:Exiled - What was the final number from this past season...?
I don't know if it's exactly accurate (probably not), but the list on the last link above shows 38. Even if it's off by a couple, it was easily a new record.

nosoupforyou

Post by nosoupforyou » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:15 pm

I don't have a link, but I think it's pretty common knowledge that Jake Wahlin (Jr) will not be back at WBL next year. Assuming he'll be in Des Moines.

BP

Post by BP » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:51 pm

nosoupforyou wrote:I don't have a link, but I think it's pretty common knowledge that Jake Wahlin (Jr) will not be back at WBL next year. Assuming he'll be in Des Moines.
Yes, Wahlin is gone.

Iceburg

Post by Iceburg » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:36 pm

Joey Anderson

LINK

nosoupforyou

Post by nosoupforyou » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:05 pm

BP wrote:
nosoupforyou wrote:I don't have a link, but I think it's pretty common knowledge that Jake Wahlin (Jr) will not be back at WBL next year. Assuming he'll be in Des Moines.
Yes, Wahlin is gone.
Check that - Wahlin at Tri-City.

inthetwine

Post by inthetwine » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:40 am

nosoupforyou wrote:
BP wrote:
Yes, Wahlin is gone.
Check that - Wahlin at Tri-City.
rumor has it that if he does commit to another collage, he may come back to WBL for his senior year.

Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:50 am

Another rumor has it Jake Wahlin will be in the USHL next year and will end up at a Big 10 school that he saw play recently in St. Paul. Lots of rumors but I don't see him going back to WBL with even greater obstacles in Section 4 to make it to the X.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:32 am

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Another rumor has it Jake Wahlin will be in the USHL next year and will end up at a Big 10 school that he saw play recently in St. Paul. Lots of rumors but I don't see him going back to WBL with even greater obstacles in Section 4 to make it to the X.
Hope all the kids (and mommies and daddies) get their wishes met. Lots of cultural entitlement this day in age. Enough going around to make an old man puke!!

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:36 am

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Another rumor has it Jake Wahlin will be in the USHL next year and will end up at a Big 10 school that he saw play recently in St. Paul.
Psssst... he's referring to the Gophers.

I remember reading on the Gopher's message board that whomever he committed to would likely be accused of recruit tampering. Whether true or not, it'd be an interesting twist if it ends up this way!

Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:23 am

Let's clarify the buzz mill doesn't refer to the Gophers but I'm with NW Oldtimer on the amount of entitlement and puke (not sure about the cultural part though). The interesting thing will be what happens with the older brother regardless of where Jake ends up. :roll:

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:29 am

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Let's clarify the buzz mill doesn't refer to the Gophers
My apologies, I assumed you were referring to the NCAA regional. Apparently you were referring to the B1G conference tournament, which included all six B1G teams. So Wisconsin, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State are all possibilities.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:39 am

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Another rumor has it Jake Wahlin will be in the USHL next year and will end up at a Big 10 school that he saw play recently in St. Paul. Lots of rumors but I don't see him going back to WBL with even greater obstacles in Section 4 to make it to the X.
Keep hearing UMD and SCSU.

And keep hearing the North Star Cup has become a big draw for kids wanting to stay in Minnesota.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:59 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:Keep hearing UMD and SCSU.
I've heard nothing about SCSU, but I've been surprised in the past.

If it takes a roster spot for Brandon to seal the deal, I'd be okay with that, but SCSU has TONS of forwards lined up for 2015-2016. I'm always amazed at how D1 coaches are able to plan rosters.

I keep hearing UMD, but everything second or third-hand. Jake is definitely a stud, but it'll be interesting to see if he was worth all the hype about three years from now.

Wblhcky2424

Post by Wblhcky2424 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:14 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
Keep hearing UMD and SCSU.

And keep hearing the North Star Cup has become a big draw for kids wanting to stay in Minnesota.
I've heard SCSU too

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:34 pm

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Let's clarify the buzz mill doesn't refer to the Gophers but I'm with NW Oldtimer on the amount of entitlement and puke (not sure about the cultural part though). The interesting thing will be what happens with the older brother regardless of where Jake ends up. :roll:
I will use Brandon just as an example. Worked his ball sack off down in Austin, earned the right to get an offer from u-mass and is thankful for it. I would hire this style of kid out of college in a New York minute!!!! Not picking on the younger boy backing out is part of way things go.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:40 pm

The Exiled One wrote:I remember reading on the Gopher's message board that whomever he committed to would likely be accused of recruit tampering. Whether true or not, it'd be an interesting twist if it ends up this way!
Let me clarify since it was my statement. My remark was meant in the context of if Wahlin had committed somewhere else very quickly after decommitting. For instance, Wade Murphy had decommitted from Merrimack in 2012 and word was right away that UND had been tampering behind the scenes. Within a few weeks of decommitting, he ends up at UND. Kind of made that initial rumor seem pretty valid.

It is a little different if a kid decommits, looks around a little while, and commits somewhere down the road. That's inevitably going to happen. It is when it happens quickly after a decommit where it appears a little shady.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:04 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:It is a little different if a kid decommits, looks around a little while, and commits somewhere down the road. That's inevitably going to happen. It is when it happens quickly after a decommit where it appears a little shady.
It's been a little while on this one, plus more than two schools already mentioned as being in the mix. Fair to say that this one is probably on the level?

GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:10 pm

Would love to see him end up at St Cloud State, hes the kind of player Motzko recruits, Wahlin is just a more known name than who we usually get. As for tampering, hopefully all that goes away, at the end of the day as long as the kid is where he wants to be that's what counts.

Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:03 pm

Heard that Oettinger from North is leaving and on his way to NDTP. Any truth?

Wblhcky2424

Post by Wblhcky2424 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:45 pm

Defensive Zone wrote:Heard that Oettinger from North is leaving and on his way to NDTP. Any truth?
Correct https://twitter.com/jake_oettinger/stat ... 6683206656

Tenoverpar

f

Post by Tenoverpar » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:38 am

Has anyone considered that UMASS overcommited to players...that they had offers out to 10 kids (verbal) and only ended up having 6 slots for incoming players, thus leaving them with having to figure out who's coming and who's not, who's going to juniors and who isn't. Perhaps there's alot more to the story than any of us know. Who knows what the acceptance standards are at UMASS? Every single year kids who were early commits suddenly become "available" the spring before they are supposed to play for Ivy's and other private schools with very high admission standards, why? Because they can't get into the school regardless of talent. I'm not saying that's the case in Wahlin, I'm saying it happens regularly.

green4

Re: f

Post by green4 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:22 pm

Tenoverpar wrote:Has anyone considered that UMASS overcommited to players...that they had offers out to 10 kids (verbal) and only ended up having 6 slots for incoming players, thus leaving them with having to figure out who's coming and who's not, who's going to juniors and who isn't. Perhaps there's alot more to the story than any of us know. Who knows what the acceptance standards are at UMASS? Every single year kids who were early commits suddenly become "available" the spring before they are supposed to play for Ivy's and other private schools with very high admission standards, why? Because they can't get into the school regardless of talent. I'm not saying that's the case in Wahlin, I'm saying it happens regularly.
Umass is not an Ivy league school nor is it extremely difficult to get into academically.

Sparlimb

Re: f

Post by Sparlimb » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:56 pm

green4 wrote:
Tenoverpar wrote:Has anyone considered that UMASS overcommited to players...that they had offers out to 10 kids (verbal) and only ended up having 6 slots for incoming players, thus leaving them with having to figure out who's coming and who's not, who's going to juniors and who isn't. Perhaps there's alot more to the story than any of us know. Who knows what the acceptance standards are at UMASS? Every single year kids who were early commits suddenly become "available" the spring before they are supposed to play for Ivy's and other private schools with very high admission standards, why? Because they can't get into the school regardless of talent. I'm not saying that's the case in Wahlin, I'm saying it happens regularly.
Umass is not an Ivy league school nor is it extremely difficult to get into academically.
True dat. That is the same school that got Marcus "dumb-dumb" Camby in...