17s National Development Camp Roster

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

OneMoreYear

17s National Development Camp Roster

Post by OneMoreYear » Fri May 02, 2014 10:29 am

Congrats to the following players. Rosters were posted yesterday, I assume to give the appearance of full consideration by the black jacket think tank. :lol: Some turnover from last year. Only one goalie, which I believe is the same as the last couple years for 17s?

Nicholas Altmann F Duluth East
Koby Bender F Cloquet
Matthew Freytag F Wayzata
William Garin F Holy Family
Michael Graham F Eden Prairie
Kobe Roth F Warroad
Nicholas Swaney F Lakeville South
Peter Tufto F St Thomas
Christiano Versich F St Thomas
Max Zimmer F Wayzata
Wyatt Aamodt D Hermantown
Jack Ahcan D Burnsville
Tye Ausmus D East Grand Forks
Jason Krych D Totino-Grace
Jacob Olson D Hill Murray
Ryan Zuhlsdorf D Edina
Zachary Driscoll G Eastview

Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts » Fri May 02, 2014 10:47 am

Always some surprises and disappointment. The overall process stinks to get to this point. Lots of very good players representing but several that got the shaft.

B-Ville Hockey Guy

Post by B-Ville Hockey Guy » Fri May 02, 2014 10:55 am

Congrats to all the kids that made it. The 54's was fun to watch and there are a lot of talented kids.
Does anyone know why only 16 players are chosen? Are there fewer kids from each region out in NY this year? I assume that there will be a few "invited" kids that show up out in NY but I would think that MN should still send 20 kids.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Fri May 02, 2014 1:02 pm

Nuts&Bolts, How does the Process stink? it is a good model. Always going to be issues with the final list, at some point they have to get to the final number allotted.

Bruins

Post by Bruins » Fri May 02, 2014 8:02 pm

I agree that it is a difficult process to get it down to 16 players. They could have picked 16 different players and still get the same results and disappointment.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sat May 03, 2014 7:02 am

alcloseshaver wrote:Nuts&Bolts, How does the Process stink? it is a good model. Always going to be issues with the final list, at some point they have to get to the final number allotted.
Process stinks when guys get added to rosters that were not at a tryout or did not "show up" evaluation weekend but make it to the next level. Other than those type of shenanigans it's a decent model.

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Sat May 03, 2014 10:28 am

As I've seen here before, and agree with, it's a $ maker, pure and simple.

Anyone who believes it is a tryout process is deluding themselves.

Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts » Sat May 03, 2014 2:33 pm

As NW Oldtimer says the model is fine (outside of it being a revenue maker for MN & USA hockey) but the overall process stinks. We go down this path annually but it'll never change. Need fewer old time guard with the black coats paid for by high participation fees. Bring in some independent evaluators like local coaches from the MIAC, NCHA, or junior programs to run the teams and drive the process. Get the high school coaches out. Like in squirts the evaluators should have nothing other than the # and jersey color. No names or high schools or how far the player advanced last year should be provided. Communicate that some kids will get a free pass. If a early D1 commit gets a free pass to NY let it be known. More horse trading comes when it's time to fill in other regions for the national camp. Another idea that will never happen is publishing in ranked order the alternates for F, D and goalies. Time to put down the mint julep. 8)

nobama

Post by nobama » Sun May 04, 2014 6:18 pm

ENJOY THE FOLLY..... BAD HOCKEY AT ITS FINEST.. LOL... :idea:

hockeyoldtimer

17'2 Roster

Post by hockeyoldtimer » Wed May 07, 2014 11:34 pm

One more year,
In answer to your question they did only take 1 goalie this year as they have in the past 17 years. They cut the number of skaters sent and goalies sent at 17's for some reason. Zach Driscoll got the nod as everyone knew he would with his year at Eastview.
Last year: Robert and Driscoll chosen by Minnesota, Ahrens picked up by USA hockey as alternate. Select 15 year: Ahrens and Klaers chosen, Robert USA hockey alternate call up.
Too bad only Driscoll chosen, many deserving this year IMO including Berger and Robert.

B-Ville Hockey Guy

Post by B-Ville Hockey Guy » Thu May 08, 2014 8:46 am

I watched most of the 54 17's games and thought that Robert had a good weekend. Of the top 3 It did seem that each goalie had a half where they allowed 3 or so goals but I didn't see too many weak goals go in. I assume that Boeser and Novak will be in NY as they were picked for the oversea team after last years camp. That still leaves a couple of really good skaters out of the mix from MN.

hockeyoldtimer

Post by hockeyoldtimer » Thu May 08, 2014 11:07 am

B-ville Hockey guy,
I agree with your assessment of the 16/17 crossover games. Lots of breakaways and short handed goals. I heard Boeser goes straight to Nationals as does Novak. Since Novak from Wisconsin he will come out of Central districts pool of players. Hopefully that will help a few more deserving Mn skaters to go. Mn list now is group of very deserving players. Some equally talented kids still hoping for a chance. I hope they get it.

herbst20

Post by herbst20 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:47 pm

Following Minnesota kids made the Ivan Hlinka Roster:

Brock Boeser
Nicholas Swaney
Jacob Olson

Also STA's Tom Novak made it as well

Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:23 pm

herbst20 wrote:Following Minnesota kids made the Ivan Hlinka Roster:

Brock Boeser
Nicholas Swaney
Jacob Olson

Also STA's Tom Novak made it as well
Congratulations to all.

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:13 pm

Yes, Congrats to all...

Here is the website from the week:

http://playerdevelopmentcamps.usahockey ... son=166035

kniven

Re: 17s National Development Camp Roster

Post by kniven » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:09 am

OneMoreYear wrote:Congrats to the following players. Rosters were posted yesterday, I assume to give the appearance of full consideration by the black jacket think tank. :lol: Some turnover from last year. Only one goalie, which I believe is the same as the last couple years for 17s?

Nicholas Altmann F Duluth East
Koby Bender F Cloquet
Matthew Freytag F Wayzata
William Garin F Holy Family
Michael Graham F Eden Prairie
Kobe Roth F Warroad
Nicholas Swaney F Lakeville South
Peter Tufto F St Thomas
Christiano Versich F St Thomas
Max Zimmer F Wayzata
Wyatt Aamodt D Hermantown
Jack Ahcan D Burnsville
Tye Ausmus D East Grand Forks
Jason Krych D Totino-Grace
Jacob Olson D Hill Murray
Ryan Zuhlsdorf D Edina
Zachary Driscoll G Eastview
It's good to see Cloquet, Hermantown, and Duluth East represented on this list. Boys from the north!!

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:45 am

Just glancing over my own list, I see about half dozen names which are probably equal or some cases better talent. But overall a pretty fair selection. Also suspect there is some more knowledge than I have about which unincluded kids have unannounced commitments to juniors already.