Warroad mascot

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

luckyEPDad

Re: Warroad mascot

Post by luckyEPDad »

east hockey wrote:
Shinbone_News wrote:
east hockey wrote: Gee, I was wondering what Clyde Bellecourt was doing these days. Nice to see he's involved in something useful. :roll:

Lee
Nice one, moderator. So much for being moderate. I can't say I'm at all surprised that this bored is not in the least sympathetic.

I'd fall off my chair if some of the old-skool, lefty, pro-union, working class, give 'em a fair shake, blue collar hockey dudes got off their ass and spoke a piece on this, but I'm not holding my breath. The Iron Range has really gone to hell, and Duluth with it.

"All of the local natives support it!" --Every white guy ever.
You get that one for free. Keep personalizing this.

Lee
You don't expect people to get nasty and personal about this issue? On this forum? Are your sure you're the moderator? This topic is guaranteed to pull in the trolls. Can't believe I was stupid enough to offer an opinion.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

luckyEPDad wrote:
east hockey wrote:
Shinbone_News wrote: Nice one, moderator. So much for being moderate. I can't say I'm at all surprised that this bored is not in the least sympathetic.

I'd fall off my chair if some of the old-skool, lefty, pro-union, working class, give 'em a fair shake, blue collar hockey dudes got off their ass and spoke a piece on this, but I'm not holding my breath. The Iron Range has really gone to hell, and Duluth with it.

Lee
You don't expect people to get nasty and personal about this issue? On this forum? Are your sure you're the moderator? This topic is guaranteed to pull in the trolls. Can't believe I was stupid enough to offer an opinion.
You never know who's going to jump in on these things. The outcome was appropriate, however, so it's on to the next "controversy". Hey, how about that Warroad/Hill-Murray/STA/Duluth East/Duluth Marshall recruiting? :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

warriors41 wrote:Henry Boucha met with the National Coalition Against Racism in Sports and Media and after personally educating them on the history and culture of the Warroad area they have agreed to rescind their letter demanding the logo be dropped. Boucha has also accepted an invitation to sit on their board. It looks as though this matter has been put to rest for now.

A huge thank you to Mr. Boucha and many other people in the community who spoke up to further educate people on this issue. It was truly fantastic to watch.
Very cool.
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

luckyEPDad wrote:
east hockey wrote:
Shinbone_News wrote: Nice one, moderator. So much for being moderate. I can't say I'm at all surprised that this bored is not in the least sympathetic.

Lee
I respect that you had more tact in your argument than shinny. It's a valid point if it should be a localized or national issue. I think it depends on the situation. A team like the Washington Redskins is most certainly a national one because of the level if exposure they get. Someone in Oklahoma will certainly get enough exposure to them to be offended. I don't think that's the case with the Warroad Warriors. They have some notoriety in the state due to athletics, but anyone out of the state probably won't have idea where we are on a map. I don't think we should be under national scrutiny when we have local blessing.
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

As Warrior41 Said:

Here is from the Grand Forks Herald:

Group drops legal threats over Warroad Warriors logo

By Brandi Jewett Today at 5:49 p.m.

Warroad, Minn., residents have spoken and an organization threatening to sue its school district over the use of an American Indian logo has listened.

The National Coalition Against Racism in Sports and Media rescinded an Aug. 15 letter it sent to Warroad Public Schools threatening legal action if the district does not begin moving away from its Warriors logo.

“My family and my parents taught me a long time ago that if you made a mistake, own up to it and apologize,” said David Glass, chairman of the group.

The letter called use of the logo, which features an American Indian head, a violation of the 1964 Civil Rights Act and said legal action would be taken if the district did not respond to the coalition within 30 days.

District Superintendent Craig Oftedahl said he was happy to hear the news of the decision.

“Our community has spoken very loud and clear of their support for the Warrior logo and our team name,” he said.

Following the letter’s arrival in Warroad, Henry Boucha, a former NHL player and U.S. Olympian who is an Ojibwe from Warroad, said he took to social media to garner support for the logo.

Coalition members invited Boucha to meet with its board of directors Monday in Minneapolis and present the history behind the town and the logo.

The town’s name comes from the war trail or “war road” the Ojibwe people traveled on to battle the Sioux, according to Boucha. He says the American Indian community also came together to design the logo.

“When we explained the whole history to the board, they immediately felt that they made a mistake and didn’t realize how rich the culture and traditions were in the Warroad area,” Boucha said.

In addition to apologizing to the community, the coalition asked Boucha to serve on its board of directors — a position Boucha said he’s accepted.

Glass said coalition members will be visiting Warroad later on this year and participating in traditional prayer and pipe ceremonies.

This is a developing story. Check back for more details.
What is a Green Wave anyway?
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

warriors41, do you have any idea if the email sent to Warroad, was the group's first communication with Warroad ?
mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man »

puckbreath wrote:warriors41, do you have any idea if the email sent to Warroad, was the group's first communication with Warroad ?
That is correct, it came as a shock and completely out of the blue according to those associated with the school.
mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man »

Shinbone_News wrote:
Cool. That's great, I'll definitely be up in Warroad later this summer/fall and I'll definitely look forward to meeting folks.

Love Henry Boucha too, and think it's fine that he speaks for all Native Americans on this topic and should be the final word.
Maybe come up for a Warroad/Roseau game, best ones to see, but of course you already knew that.

Also, nice call on Henry's words, bet you feel smart!

Who would have thought that enough support for a town full of pride and tradition could actually take down those with nothing better than $$ signs in their eyes. Doing it for PC? BS...

#warriorpride
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

mn miracle man wrote:
puckbreath wrote:warriors41, do you have any idea if the email sent to Warroad, was the group's first communication with Warroad ?
That is correct, it came as a shock and completely out of the blue according to those associated with the school.
Thanks.

Well, I'm glad they apologized.

Should have.

Afer all, if what they were *truly* after, is what they publicly state, it would have been more class, and common decency, to have contacted Warroad and try to come to an agreement/understanding, before going to what is the final, last straw option of threatening with a lawsuit.

Entire situation could have been avoided that way.
SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT »

warriors41 wrote:Henry Boucha met with the National Coalition Against Racism in Sports and Media and after personally educating them on the history and culture of the Warroad area they have agreed to rescind their letter demanding the logo be dropped. Boucha has also accepted an invitation to sit on their board. It looks as though this matter has been put to rest for now.

A huge thank you to Mr. Boucha and many other people in the community who spoke up to further educate people on this issue. It was truly fantastic to watch.
Just dawned on me - Shinbone hasta be a Sheep fan ! Yup, that's it. Always gotta stir things up.

If the locals - White, Indian Norwegian (Sorry), Black, Striped, etc. want it - keep it. Don't worry about all these bleeding-heart, do-gooders from outside claiming it's a national issue. The people up that way are great, the team has sharp uniforms and they can play a little hockey, too. Much as I hate to admit it - I'd hafta say the same about your rivals to the west, too.

Maybe I could get Shinbone to take up my case, too. How about all the deprived, downtrodden, misunderstood potatoes in the world - don't they deserve a fair shake, too ? My God, they have a hockey team named after them ! Think we oughta get all the self-respecting spuds in the world to rise up & deprive the whole world of potato salad - that'd fix 'em !