Amanda Kessel

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

greybeard58

Amanda Kessel

Post by greybeard58 »

It is a shame she will not be coming back.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/274622321.html
allhoc11

Re: Amanda Kessel

Post by allhoc11 »

greybeard58 wrote:It is a shame she will not be coming back.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/274622321.html
Agreed very disappointing news indeed, but also good for our girls to see how serious this issue can be, and to make sure to take care of their head.

On a side note it's interesting to see how different schools handle this issue, I remember hearing about a former MN HS player who went out east, was not cleared to play because of her concussion history, came back to play for a local school was cleared, got another concussion and now is done playing.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

I'm sorry but that's on the parents. That's an injury that can not only ruin hockey careers, but ruin lives. I hope the MN coach didn't know about the injury and wasn't complicit in her devastating return to play. If he/she did, that certainly says a lot about the coach and team culture. If my son or daughter was playing for a coach who only cared about the player not the person, not to mention dismissing concussion protocol for some perceived advantage in not playing a healthy player.... Wow. Under 18? Mom and dad parent FAIL. Feel incredibly sorry for that girl.

And for Amanda. Who I am grateful to see recognizes the value of her brain over her hockey. I can imagine holding her up as an example to my own kids or teams about the gravity of the injury.
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:I'm sorry but that's on the parents. That's an injury that can not only ruin hockey careers, but ruin lives. I hope the MN coach didn't know about the injury and wasn't complicit in her devastating return to play. If he/she did, that certainly says a lot about the coach and team culture. If my son or daughter was playing for a coach who only cared about the player not the person, not to mention dismissing concussion protocol for some perceived advantage in not playing a healthy player.... Wow. Under 18? Mom and dad parent FAIL. Feel incredibly sorry for that girl.

And for Amanda. Who I am grateful to see recognizes the value of her brain over her hockey. I can imagine holding her up as an example to my own kids or teams about the gravity of the injury.
It probably depends on just "how former" the player was. The knowledge on concussions has increased tremendously in just the few last years. I remember in high school which wasn't too long ago people on the football team would play through their concussions usually, and we had trainers available. There were at least two games where I could tell the other team had players in the same position. Nothing like that would happen today. If they did that with today's knowledge I would wholeheartedly agree with that notion. But I just can't call it a parentin or coaching fail without knowing exactly when this happened given the recent developments of the medical knowledge behind this injury.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

I would agree with everything you just said EXCEPT for the fact that the player WAS NOT MEDICALLY CLEARED TO PLAY just prior to playing for someone else. Can't claim they didn't have knowledge she should not be playing.
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

According to the article she was cleared to play in the Olympics, according to the USA Hockey web site she played in 5 games. If she still had problems after the Olympics why was she cleared to play in the first place.