Hilary Knight

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Women in the NHL

The first of many?
No votes
One and done?
100%

Total votes: 7

Nevertoomuchhockey

Hilary Knight

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

First non-goalie women's player to practice with the NHL! Not quite as powerful as the creation of a WNHL would be, but a powerful role model for my 11 year old nonetheless. Applause applause for the women's game and this amazing player.
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

Why is that a role model? Is that what girls should be trying to be, NHL players? The NHL will never be inclusive of women, nor should they be. Different game. So the good ole boys took in a female for some publicity, to show how welcoming they are? BS. Girls play for better reasons than trying to be a NHL player, IMO.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Maybe a publicity stunt, but a damn good one showing that talented women players can play with anyone. So catch up, pepper. You've got an awful long way to go.
CAN play. Not SHOULD.
goaline

eek

Post by goaline »

I'm a huge fan of the girl's game and hockey but to suggest that "womens players can play with anyone" in the context you do isn't even delightfully wrong. It is positive publicity if considered with the right perspective!
zambonidriver

Reality

Post by zambonidriver »

Remember our national team scrimmages boys high school teams and struggles. I am a big fan of Women's hockey I had a step daughter play D-! and she even admits the Highest level of women's isn't close to men
Nevertoomuchhockey

Re: eek

goaline wrote:I'm a huge fan of the girl's game and hockey but to suggest that "womens players can play with anyone" in the context you do isn't even delightfully wrong. It is positive publicity if considered with the right perspective!
I didn't say that. She said that.
MNHockeyFan

Re: Reality

Post by MNHockeyFan »

zambonidriver wrote:Remember our national team scrimmages boys high school teams and struggles. I am a big fan of Women's hockey I had a step daughter play D-! and she even admits the Highest level of women's isn't close to men
I agree, in that the best of the women are not evenly remotely close to the top men levels, especially NHL or even D1 mens hockey. But they are on a par with all but the best Minnesota high school hockey teams. I recall the pre-Olympic women's team narrowly beating a pretty good Hopkins boys team by one goal at a sold-out Pagel arena, and that same year I believe the ladies beat one of the Rochester high school boys teams by a goal or two (both games were officially "no checking"). Yes, beyond the better (MN) high school level, the best women's teams would likely lose, but in no way does that detract from the competitive nature of the women's game and how much fun it is to be a fan of same.

If you haven't already, just go to Ridder and watch the women's Gopher team play a game! 8)
observer

Post by observer »