Who's Not Returning 2014-2015

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:49 pm

“The fact that Jared has moved to Prince George from Minnesota further proves that the Prince George Cougars are heading in the right direction both on and off the ice,..."

Oopsy Mr. GM.

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:50 pm

WestMetro wrote:So much for my Mr. Hockey pick
Should go to a Minnesota kid anyway.

Vapor

Post by Vapor » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:46 pm

Read on Twitter there was a "falling out" in Lincoln. Any idea what happened?

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:29 pm

Vapor wrote:Read on Twitter there was a "falling out" in Lincoln. Any idea what happened?
Probably not as much as the one in Warroad.

Ironic, that someone recruited one of their players away.

Live by the sword, etc.

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:50 am

With Bethune leaving Warroad, 8a will be a cakewalk for egf this year, even if Roth stays at Warroad.

TRF will be very, very weak, and no one else has a chance.

Unless some "new" faces show up at Warroad very quickly.

Again, lol.

warriors41

Re: Jared Bethune

Post by warriors41 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:14 pm

The Exiled One wrote:
Flin Flon wrote:My source tells me that Jared Bethune has left for Major Jr's so no longer available for Lincoln or the Bulldogs
Interesting. I think Prince George may have his rights. I'll keep an eye on that.

I know he thinks of himself as Canadian, so this wouldn't be inconceivable. Also, if he wants to play for Team Canada, they tend to discount kids on the college path.
I've heard this was another case of the family bringing in an advisor for advice. If only anyone from Warroad had gotten to the pros in the last decade by staying in school it might have been able to convince them to stay...

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:38 pm

warriors41 wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:
Flin Flon wrote:My source tells me that Jared Bethune has left for Major Jr's so no longer available for Lincoln or the Bulldogs
Interesting. I think Prince George may have his rights. I'll keep an eye on that.

I know he thinks of himself as Canadian, so this wouldn't be inconceivable. Also, if he wants to play for Team Canada, they tend to discount kids on the college path.
I've heard this was another case of the family bringing in an advisor for advice. If only anyone from Warroad had gotten to the pros in the last decade by staying in school it might have been able to convince them to stay...

Well, as you know, he's not from Warroad, unlike Nelson, i.e., so how much loyalty can be expected ?

To bad; would have made for an interesting section battle.

Plus, wasn't he yanked from the US national camp.............once it was (all of a sudden ?!?) found out he was Canadian ?

That may have come into play too, who knows.

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:56 pm

puckbreath wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:

Well, as you know, he's not from Warroad, unlike Nelson, i.e., so how much loyalty can be expected ?

Plus, wasn't he yanked from the US national camp.............once it was (all of a sudden ?!?) found out he was Canadian ?

My comment wasn't from the loyalty perspective. I'm actually in the minority that thinks these kids don't owe anything to the schools that they play for. I'm questioning the overall logic of the decision. The way I understand it is he is wanting to get the NHL as soon as possible (though my my sources aren't the closest to the situation). Nelson played his senior year In high school and then two years of college and he was a better prospect than Bethune. Is it likely that Jared is going to be pro ready at age 20 even with 3 years of juniors? Probably not. He's going to get drafted this year anyway.

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:42 pm

warriors41 wrote:
puckbreath wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:

My comment wasn't from the loyalty perspective. I'm actually in the minority that thinks these kids don't owe anything to the schools that they play for. I'm questioning the overall logic of the decision. The way I understand it is he is wanting to get the NHL as soon as possible (though my my sources aren't the closest to the situation). Nelson played his senior year In high school and then two years of college and he was a better prospect than Bethune. Is it likely that Jared is going to be pro ready at age 20 even with 3 years of juniors? Probably not. He's going to get drafted this year anyway.
Yeah, I hear ya.

Why don't you think he is as good a prospect as Nelson was ?

Not doubting, just curious, as I'm sure you've seen both play much more than I.

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:14 am

puckbreath wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
puckbreath wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:

Yeah, I hear ya.

Brock had better physical tools. He was bigger and had more room to grow into his frame. He's put on about 30 pounds since he left high school. He also had better hands. He's also very smart. Whenever I read an interview with Jack Capuano, the Islanders coach, he raves about his hockey IQ. To be fair I'm not sure if he had that in high school or developed that at UND and Bridgeport.

But I think Nelson's bet skillet is what he does without the pick. He knows where to put himself to get the bet opportunity to score. He's one of those players that always seems to be in the right spot when a big rebound comes out and he has an empty net to shoot at. It's something you can't really teach.

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:56 am

warriors41 wrote:
puckbreath wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
puckbreath wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:

Yeah, I hear ya.

Brock had better physical tools. He was bigger and had more room to grow into his frame. He's put on about 30 pounds since he left high school. He also had better hands. He's also very smart. Whenever I read an interview with Jack Capuano, the Islanders coach, he raves about his hockey IQ. To be fair I'm not sure if he had that in high school or developed that at UND and Bridgeport.

But I think Nelson's bet skillet is what he does without the pick. He knows where to put himself to get the bet opportunity to score. He's one of those players that always seems to be in the right spot when a big rebound comes out and he has an empty net to shoot at. It's something you can't really teach.
Thanks for the reply.

Deathblow

Post by Deathblow » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:24 am

puckbreath wrote:With Bethune leaving Warroad, 8a will be a cakewalk for egf this year, even if Roth stays at Warroad.

Again, lol.
It's funny how one player is/was able to change the thoughts on the section...
With Bethune and Roth, I would have thought it was Warroad's to lose, especially with Sections in Warroad. EGF lost its top 4 defensemen (although most of the scoring up front is back), and would have struggled against Roth and Bethune. Now, I tend to agree...it SHOULD be another trip to the X for EGF.

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:18 am

Deathblow wrote:
puckbreath wrote:With Bethune leaving Warroad, 8a will be a cakewalk for egf this year, even if Roth stays at Warroad.

Again, lol.
With Bethune and Roth, I would have thought it was Warroad's to lose, especially with Sections in Warroad. EGF lost its top 4 defensemen (although most of the scoring up front is back), and would have struggled against Roth and Bethune. Now, I tend to agree...it SHOULD be another trip to the X for EGF.
Be interesting to see if Roth sticks around too.

TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:55 pm

puckbreath wrote:
Deathblow wrote:

Again, lol.
Yes, he is not originally from Warroad either, correct?
What is a Green Wave anyway?

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:04 pm

TTpuckster wrote:
puckbreath wrote:
Deathblow wrote:

Again, lol.
Yes, he is not originally from Warroad either, correct?
Correct; Iowa.

Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:15 pm

puckbreath wrote: Unless some "new" faces show up at Warroad very quickly.
Any good job postings at Marvin?

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:49 pm

Bonin2121 wrote:
puckbreath wrote: Unless some "new" faces show up at Warroad very quickly.
Any good job postings at Marvin?
If not, they'll make one, for the right player's parent, er, I mean, employee.

In all seriousness, I was surprised Bethune left.

Good player, but I just don't see him in the NHL.

With Nelson, i.e, never was a doubt in my mind.

Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:59 pm

puckbreath wrote: If not, they'll make one, for the right player's parent, er, I mean, employee.
That's what I meant, but they legally probably have to post them for a period of time. ;)

BP

Post by BP » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:04 pm

Bonin2121 wrote:
puckbreath wrote: If not, they'll make one, for the right player's parent, er, I mean, employee.
That's what I meant, but they legally probably have to post them for a period of time. ;)

Jobs have to be posted for 5 days legally before they can hire, in case they get audited by the EEOC. So, they could turn it around quick!

Daulton21

Post by Daulton21 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:18 pm

As we get down to the wire of players returning to their high school teams, are there any late additions to the list of non returners? Seems to be a number of high school kids playing juniors this year.

TheSiouxSuck

Post by TheSiouxSuck » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:05 am

Looks like zmolek is playing for Austin in the NA?

LivinDaDream

Post by LivinDaDream » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:58 am

TheSiouxSuck wrote:Looks like zmolek is playing for Austin in the NA?[/quote

On the Bruins site, zmolek has (AP) after his name?

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:36 pm

Word is Zuhlsdorf will not be returning to Edina. Any report on Bellows?

grandmeadowhockeyfan

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:42 am

What does the ap mean after zmolek. Century hs will miss him. They lost faupel and now zmolek they are going to have a rough year.

observer

Post by observer » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:26 am

What does the ap mean after zmolek?
Affiliate player. Each team can protect younger players on their affiliate list. Generally they don't play for the team but are protected for future years.