Section 3A 2014 - 2015

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

I'm having a really hard time following. Either you should resume taking the meds that have been prescribed for you, or perhaps I should try the ones that you're enjoying without prescription.
Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout »

InigoMontoya wrote:I'm having a really hard time following. Either you should resume taking the meds that have been prescribed for you, or perhaps I should try the ones that you're enjoying without prescription.
Some off the wall comments of late? Am I missing something?

Went from a good criticism about poor leadership to Obama? (Although I do think there are some good similarities) Maybe trying to compare Obama and Luverne's Bench Boss? That could be good?

Confused

I just thought it would be fun to come on ruffle the Luverne Faithful's feathers and they played right in.

Honestly though hockey speaking this Section is WIDE OPEN. The team that gets the best goaltending will win. Should be an interesting year.

I think a lot of teams have a good shot.

Depth up front is an issue for every team in this section. Quality Defenseman are tough to find. The team that can figure out their net situation the best will make the ride to St Paul.
the thrill

Post by the thrill »

One thing no one seems to be considering is; it wasn't a cake walk for Luverne last year during the Schwan's tournament. They played an OT game against STMA, beat SLP 5-2, and BK 3-1 in a very competitive game. So, it's not like they are expecting to win the Open Division going away.

On the flip side, I sure hope they don't end up having to face Marshall during this tournament.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

The best part about this is trout thinks whiner is on his side. Further exemplifies trouts ignorance. Keep it coming trout. We love this almost as much as your idiotic pregame predictions.

Wide open in capital letters? Let's hear how Fairmont fits in to the championship picture! Please! Worthington, Windom, Redwood! Wide open right buddy? Let's hear the truth from trout! Please!
p_cku

Post by p_cku »

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:I think Whiner33 hit the nail on the head.

Luverne lacks vision and direction at the top or ... BENCH. I wont go say who the person is to blame for the Open Division blunder.... But we all know why this program will never keep progressing.

Still not sure why they cant draw a better hockey mind there to give the program the last piece it needs. A good leader at the Helm...

Too bad the Big Three deserve better. If you had a capable mind and leader at the top I think Luverne would flourish instead you get opting to the Open Division again and you really think young Phenom Nelson will stay?? Not CHANCE!!!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Feel sorry Luverne's program....... At times the lack of dedication and direction at the top kills what a lot of really involved parents have worked hard to create down there.

At least Whiner33 knows the source to blame...

First reasonable Luverne Fan on the Board!!!
I have looked at the board for a few weeks but as usual Section 3A has to give the Luverne Coaching a cheap shot.

Section 3A Scout where do you get your information about the coaching staff not being dedicated or knowledgeable you have no clue! Have you even ever talked to the Luverne coaches. Your consent bashing of the coaching is really getting old. Just because the Luverne faithfuls can be overbearing doesn't give you the right to attack a group of men who put countless hours in to this program. Ask the Luverne board watchers and others who write on this board about their coaches and the time spent.

Hind sight is always easier than foresight. At the time the decision was made the coaches were not sure where this team would be at. Had they known what they know now they would have moved up. They wish they had made the move but they didn't. So I guess according to you they are the dumbest people around.

This should be a great Section 3A title run with New Ulm, Hutch, Willmar Litch and Luverne in the hunt. All these team have there strengths and weakness. It will be fun to watch everything shake out.

So everyone on the board quit bashing each other's programs. The Section is trying to gain respect in the State but that not going to happen if you can't respect each other.

IMO!
p_cku

Section 3A Scout Rumors have it ....

Post by p_cku »

Section 3A Scout there is a rumor that you are the Luverne coach's dad. Can you address this rumor or are you too afraid to tell the truth and face the Luverne Masses.
Whiner33

Re: Section 3A Scout Rumors have it ....

Post by Whiner33 »

p_cku wrote:Section 3A Scout there is a rumor that you are the Luverne coach's dad. Can you address this rumor or are you too afraid to tell the truth and face the Luverne Masses.
Finally a guy with a brain!!

Thank you thank you thank you!

Now we can move on!

Good luck to all 3A teams 😃
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Each time I look at this thread I think, wow, it couldn't possibly get any stranger than it just did with that post, then I look again, and I am proven wrong. I feel like I should be wearing a set of those headphones that you get at the art gallery that explains what the heck your looking at. It's like Big Brother meets Hee Haw - somebody is going to get voted out of the corn maze, and there may be a surprise cameo by Uncle Si or Honey Boo Boo.
Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout »

p_cku wrote:Section 3A Scout there is a rumor that you are the Luverne coach's dad. Can you address this rumor or are you too afraid to tell the truth and face the Luverne Masses.
No ?? That might be the funniest thing I have ever heard.

No affiliation to any team the town where I send the majority of my time doesn't have a hockey team.......

But we did take the Battle Axe and look to be going to State for Football. Luverne will choke with that #1 seed just like in hockey :wink:

As Whiner33 said Good Luck to all teams.

Yes notTonight I hope Fairmont, Worthington and Redwood think they have a chance there is no great team this year.

I meant wide open as in New Ulm, hutch, Willmar, LDC, Marshall, Luverne all 6 teams have a shot.... Most Section's cannot say that which is what makes this a fun time of the year,

Season is getting closer!
new2coachin

Post by new2coachin »

notTONIGHT wrote:

Luverne lacks vision and direction at the top or ... BENCH. I wont go say who the person is to blame for the Open Division blunder.... But we all know why this program will never keep progressing.

Still not sure why they cant draw a better hockey mind there to give the program the last piece it needs. A good leader at the Helm...

Too bad the Big Three deserve better. If you had a capable mind and leader at the top I think Luverne would flourish instead you get opting to the Open Division again and you really think young Phenom Nelson will stay?? Not CHANCE!!!

Feel sorry Luverne's program....... At times the lack of dedication and direction at the top kills what a lot of really involved parents have worked hard to create down there.

I ask this in jest knowing you wont actually respond because you have a reputation as an internet coward, but i'd be very interested in hearing a description of a program in 3A that is currently flourishing. Please include your comparision's to the Luverne program proving your point. Thanks buddy!
It has been over 2 weeks and I still have not seen a reply on this from 3A Scout. Please bless the rest of us with your wealth of knowledge & experience of the 3A programs and answer notTonight.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

InigoMontoya wrote:Each time I look at this thread I think, wow, it couldn't possibly get any stranger than it just did with that post, then I look again, and I am proven wrong. I feel like I should be wearing a set of those headphones that you get at the art gallery that explains what the heck your looking at. It's like Big Brother meets Hee Haw - somebody is going to get voted out of the corn maze, and there may be a surprise cameo by Uncle Si or Honey Boo Boo.
Whose voice do you want guiding you through this thread, i'd nominate trout, obviously, and then might get a little color commentary from Whiner... That sounds like a winning forum booth. haha
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

new2coachin wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:

I ask this in jest knowing you wont actually respond because you have a reputation as an internet coward, but i'd be very interested in hearing a description of a program in 3A that is currently flourishing. Please include your comparision's to the Luverne program proving your point. Thanks buddy!
It has been over 2 weeks and I still have not seen a reply on this from 3A Scout. Please bless the rest of us with your wealth of knowledge & experience of the 3A programs and answer notTonight.
Hes not going to answer, thats the bit, all of his statements are baseless. Any shred of integrity was erased when he picked against Luverne 22 times in the regular season last year, and they went undefeated. HAHA TROUT!!

Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 »

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:
No ?? That might be the funniest thing I have ever heard.

No affiliation to any team the town where I send the majority of my time doesn't have a hockey team.......

But we did take the Battle Axe and look to be going to State for Football. Luverne will choke with that #1 seed just like in hockey :wink:

As Whiner33 said Good Luck to all teams.

Yes notTonight I hope Fairmont, Worthington and Redwood think they have a chance there is no great team this year.

I meant wide open as in New Ulm, hutch, Willmar, LDC, Marshall, Luverne all 6 teams have a shot.... Most Section's cannot say that which is what makes this a fun time of the year,

Season is getting closer!
TROUT it's spelled Milaca not Pipestone just a FYI!
Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 »

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:
hawkenjonny wrote:Why would they stay in the Open Division?! Anyone in the know out there have some insight here? From what I have seen of the Reebok and Elite leagues the Luverne programs at several levels are all about getting some recognition out there in scoutland? Why back away from potentially tougher competition when it is available? Maybe there is a reason we out of towners don't know. Anyone? Herb?
Luverne this Luverne that... Honestly can they build a bigger target on their back.... Sad they stayed in the Open Division I honestly think even in the Open they will encounter all they want.

Hutch and New Ulm are still my two picks.

New Ulm is Bringing almost EVERYONE back and Hutch with Cowger and the Junior Class should be very strong.

Willmar, LDC and Marshall will all be right there.

Should be a fun Section to watch
Sure hope the cards can hold off a strong Winona team in the open division of the schwans cup...

Yes TROUT we know it's a trap game... Omg!!
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Two weeks from today the Season opens. Cant wait!
Should be another high flying season from the top end of the section.

Any developments anywhere from around the Section?
lamplighter98

question

Post by lamplighter98 »

[quote="Whiner33"][quote="Section 3A HockeyScout"][quote="hawkenjonny"]Why would they stay in the Open Division?! Anyone in the know out there have some insight here? From what I have seen of the Reebok and Elite leagues the Luverne programs at several levels are all about getting some recognition out there in scoutland? Why back away from potentially tougher competition when it is available? Maybe there is a reason we out of towners don't know. Anyone? Herb?[/quote]

Luverne this Luverne that... Honestly can they build a bigger target on their back.... Sad they stayed in the Open Division I honestly think even in the Open they will encounter all they want.

New Ulm is Bringing almost EVERYONE back and Hutch with Cowger and the Junior Class should be very strong.

Should be a fun Section to watch[/quote]

Sure hope the cards can hold off a strong Winona team in the open division of the schwans cup...

Yes TROUT we know it's a trap game... Omg!![/quote]

So do the coaches or the tournament people pick what division they are playing in?
BP

Re: question

Post by BP »

lamplighter98 wrote:
Whiner33 wrote:
Section 3A HockeyScout wrote: Luverne this Luverne that... Honestly can they build a bigger target on their back.... Sad they stayed in the Open Division I honestly think even in the Open they will encounter all they want.

Should be a fun Section to watch

Yes TROUT we know it's a trap game... Omg!!
So do the coaches or the tournament people pick what division they are playing in?

When you win the tournament, it is the coaches decision to move up or down.
Air Force 1

Post by Air Force 1 »

I have a Luverne sighting in the Red River Valley! I hope I will be able to get to this one to watch the Cards against some 8A/AA teams.

Moorhead Scrimages, Moorhead Youth Hockey Arena. No date listed on the handout but my guess is it is the weekend of 15 Nov. Please correct me.

South Rink
9-10 Moorhead vs St Cloud Cathedral
10:15-11:15 Bemidji vs Spring Lake Park
11:30-12:30 Moorhead vs Spring Lake Park
12:45-1:45 Moorhead vs East Grand Forks
2-3 Spring Lake Park vs Luverne
3:15-4:15 Moorhead vs Luverne

North Rink
9:30-10:30 Breck vs East Grand Forks
10:45-11:45 East Grand Forks vs Luverne
12-1 Bemidji vs Breck
1:15-2:15 St Cloud Cathedral vs Breck
2:30-3:30 St Cloud Cathedral vs Bemidji
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Season opens today!

Whose ready?

hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny »

Looking at the previous post with the Moorhead scrimmage schedule, I hope LUVERNE is ready Herbie. Will they roll or get rolled. Tough start with one week of practice under the belt. Kudos to them for wanting the competition though!
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

hawkenjonny wrote:Looking at the previous post with the Moorhead scrimmage schedule, I hope LUVERNE is ready Herbie. Will they roll or get rolled. Tough start with one week of practice under the belt. Kudos to them for wanting the competition though!
Yeah going to be a difficult way to start. But that's good, I'm sure if they do perform well those programs will be set up for a down season right?
rollCARDSroll

Post by rollCARDSroll »

EGF 3 Luverne 2

Final from Moorhead. EGF scored 2 quick ones towards the end to regain the lead from Luverne. Pretty good outcome against the Number 1 team in the state.

Roll Cards
Bettman's Bender

Post by Bettman's Bender »

Where is Bettman?.......

Looks like nothing has changed here. Same ignorant and unintelligent squabbling. Read since books, watch videos ( I recommend weisstech hockey ) or go to some games ( I recommend gustavus, st. Thomas, Sioux falls, or even st. Olaf)

I make my home and schooling in the red river valley where the hockey is actually good and there is actual D1 talent... I'd like to add to that notion that Brandon wildung (who once was third on Marshalls goalie depth chart in 2010 before he left) is at D1 mercyhurst and Nolan Schaeffer formerly of Marshall will likely find a home on a D1 team in the next 3-4 years as he is playing nahl....

Now to business. D1 talent is not a word to be throwing around this thread. Many of you don't even realize what D3 talent is let alone D1. So please speak with caution or you will all continue to look idiotic.

Luverne has gained respect in the FM area. Some people I know who are pretty high up in the hockey ranks were impressed by 3A in the state tournament the past few years.. but not that impressed. Some Luverne players have family ties to Moorhead hockey community and Moorhead HS hockey so that helps their case...... Please dont make inferences based on scrimmages. There is a reason they don't actually keep score!

Lets get something straight now. I agree with 3a scout in questioning the Luverne staff. It's not that difficult a chore to get good teams on your schedule. The whining about how noone wants to play us whaaah whaaah. It's bogus. I happen to be on a coaching staff of a HS team in this area. WE WEREN'T EVEN A HS HOCKEY PROGRAM 5 YEARS AGO. Yet we skated to a 23-4 record last year and we have completely changed our schedule in the past 3 years. From Wahpeton, Jamestown,ND, Williston,ND and Dickinson, ND caliber to now this year we have Roseau on the schedule and we will probably beat them. Roseau. And our lowest caliber team is probably West Fargo... (New Ulm caliber) p So please. Stop whining that noone wants to play you. It's not that hard to change your out of conference schedule. We live out in the boonies too. We travel to play and teams travel to play us. There are a lot of good hockey teams to play out there. Alot. They will play you if you're good and respected as a coaching staff and program. If Luverne really wanted to change their schedule they could. It has been done..

Other than that I don't know much about 3A... Willmar Marshall hutch and new ulm arent what they used to Be talent wise. Knowing what I know about Marshall I don't think they'll Be very good this year. The campions are completely gone so the whole program will likely fall flat on it's face. ;)

if we want to talk about a program that is terrible let's talk Marshall. The youth program has been completely destroyed. Parents have destroyed that program. Stop coddling your kids. Play A level always and follow the USA hockey ADM. But that's a rant for another day.
12thgraders

Post by 12thgraders »

Interesting outcome between EGF and Luverne. EGF was playing right after having played Breck and this was Luverne's first of the day. I would like to know the lineup for EGF, they brought 5 lines with, who was in, who was out? Who was in net. How did their Breck scrimmage go?

I agree with Bettman and said as much last spring, at program can change their schedule, they just have to try. 3 season's ago EGF played Red Lake Falls and home and homes with Lake of the Woods as well as home and homes with Moorhead. Their big road trip was to Brainerd and were winless against AA programs. Now they have cut off the bottom of Section 8A but still have some games against traditional Section 8 rivalries like Moorhead and Bemidji (who are also Mariucci Conference games). The now load up the bus each year and head to the metro, 320 miiles, and play top teams: Totino Grace, St Cloud Cathedral, Breck and Blaine. Their first trip down three seasons ago was Orono and Providence Academy. In those 6 games, they are 4-1-1. Totino and Cathedral came up north last year and Breck and Blaine are coming up this year. And they are going back down to Totino and Cathedral this year. They are also 10-0-0 against Grand Forks Red River and Cental the last two years. Instead of the convenient Stadstad Classic over the holidays, last year and this year they go to the Hilltopper Classic in Duluth. Warroad, they head to the metro as well as swing through the iron range and play Grand Rapids, Virginia, Hibbing. They also play Duluth Marshall and Denfield. In 8AA, Roseau plays section games in Buffalo. Travel is hockey, get over it and schedule some games. And if you are going back to the Schwan Cup, step up a division.

Luverne won't play New Ulm in the regular season even though it is a section game and could actually give them some competition? Why are they running from a section challenge? Playing games like that in season help during playoffs so the team doesn't get all tight and nervous and kick the first goal in their own net at state. To be the best, you need to play the best.

I'd like to see survive a season in Section 8A and the Mariucci Conference where even Crookston and Kittson Central will challenge you EVERY night.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

12thgraders wrote:Interesting outcome between EGF and Luverne. EGF was playing right after having played Breck and this was Luverne's first of the day. I would like to know the lineup for EGF, they brought 5 lines with, who was in, who was out? Who was in net. How did their Breck scrimmage go?

I agree with Bettman and said as much last spring, at program can change their schedule, they just have to try. 3 season's ago EGF played Red Lake Falls and home and homes with Lake of the Woods as well as home and homes with Moorhead. Their big road trip was to Brainerd and were winless against AA programs. Now they have cut off the bottom of Section 8A but still have some games against traditional Section 8 rivalries like Moorhead and Bemidji (who are also Mariucci Conference games). The now load up the bus each year and head to the metro, 320 miiles, and play top teams: Totino Grace, St Cloud Cathedral, Breck and Blaine. Their first trip down three seasons ago was Orono and Providence Academy. In those 6 games, they are 4-1-1. Totino and Cathedral came up north last year and Breck and Blaine are coming up this year. And they are going back down to Totino and Cathedral this year. They are also 10-0-0 against Grand Forks Red River and Cental the last two years. Instead of the convenient Stadstad Classic over the holidays, last year and this year they go to the Hilltopper Classic in Duluth. Warroad, they head to the metro as well as swing through the iron range and play Grand Rapids, Virginia, Hibbing. They also play Duluth Marshall and Denfield. In 8AA, Roseau plays section games in Buffalo. Travel is hockey, get over it and schedule some games. And if you are going back to the Schwan Cup, step up a division.

Luverne won't play New Ulm in the regular season even though it is a section game and could actually give them some competition? Why are they running from a section challenge? Playing games like that in season help during playoffs so the team doesn't get all tight and nervous and kick the first goal in their own net at state. To be the best, you need to play the best.

I'd like to see survive a season in Section 8A and the Mariucci Conference where even Crookston and Kittson Central will challenge you EVERY night.
This will never happen. In fact, I expect hockey to be dead there in the not so distant future.

Apples/oranges to some extent, but girls hockey is already dieing in section 8.

I do agree, I wish it would happen.

But it won't.

As far as egf, they're in the tail end of a nice run with a perfect storm of talented players.

I do not expect this to continue after this year, so it'll be interesting to see what they do.

I expect them to drop off quite a bit, just as has always been the case in the section, for them and others.