Grand Rapids

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

boblee

Grand Rapids

Post by boblee »

The Grand Rapids Thunderhawks have an interesting season in front of them. They lost the Mr. Hockey winner & the Frank Brimsek winner, but return some very talented forwards and the blue line will be a year older. Between the pipes is a big question mark at this point.

GRHS Hockey Online will have you covered all season long at www.grhshockey.com

This thread will be for general GRHS Hockey discussions, thoughts, questions, predictions, links, and more.

#GRThunderhawky
Last edited by boblee on Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Hey, where have you been?
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

elliott70 wrote:Hey, where have you been?
Probably having a life. :)

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
pioneers

Re: Grand Rapids

Post by pioneers »

boblee wrote:The Grand Rapids Thunderhawks have an interesting season in front of them. They lost the Mr. Hockey winner & the Frank Brimsek winner, but return some very talented forwards and the blue line will be a year older. Between the pipes is a big question mark at this point.

GRHS Hockey Online will have you covered all season long at www.grhshockey.com.

This thread will be for general GRHS Hockey discussions, thoughts, questions, predictions, links, and more.

#GRThunderhawky
Bad link. You need to remove the period.
Pioneers 1983, 1991 and 2008 State Champions
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Very tough schedule. The only games I see that they will overwhelm an opponent are the games against IRC teams and maybe St. Francis. If their defensive zone play is as bad as last year can't see their record much better then 15-10.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

greenway1969 wrote:Very tough schedule. The only games I see that they will overwhelm an opponent are the games against IRC teams and maybe St. Francis. If their defensive zone play is as bad as last year can't see their record much better then 15-10.
What was their problem in this area; defensemen, goalie, forwards not doing their part, or all of the above ?
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Mainly the defensemen. They were not able to make that first pass quick enough. They coughed up the puck more times then I could count against the better teams. A good forechecking team like East would have them on their heels most of the time. Forwards didn't always handle the first pass well either, but that was minor compared to the struggles of the defensemen. Wasn't much improvement during the year either. That's what makes me wonder if they can overcome this problem. Maybe the forwards will be able to help them out more this year. Goaltending last year covered up a lot of the turnovers by the defensemen and forwards.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

greenway1969 wrote:Mainly the defensemen. They were not able to make that first pass quick enough. They coughed up the puck more times then I could count against the better teams. A good forechecking team like East would have them on their heels most of the time. Forwards didn't always handle the first pass well either, but that was minor compared to the struggles of the defensemen. Wasn't much improvement during the year either. That's what makes me wonder if they can overcome this problem. Maybe the forwards will be able to help them out more this year. Goaltending last year covered up a lot of the turnovers by the defensemen and forwards.
Thanks.

Hope they have a better season this year.
boblee

Announcement

Post by boblee »

GRHS Hockey Online has an announcement through social media accounts Friday at 10 AM.
blueblood

boblee

Post by blueblood »

He's baacckkkkkk.....
Winter is Coming

Re: Grand Rapids

Post by Winter is Coming »

boblee wrote:The Grand Rapids Thunderhawks have an interesting season in front of them. They lost the Mr. Hockey winner & the Frank Brimsek winner, but return some very talented forwards and the blue line will be a year older. Between the pipes is a big question mark at this point.

GRHS Hockey Online will have you covered all season long at www.grhshockey.com

#GRThunderhawky
I think that they will be ok this year. Granted losing Shepard and Peterson is a lot to over come and it is not going to be easy to do but between the kid that they had in the nets this summer when I saw them play BSM and some age and experience on their D I think they will be ok.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

What grade is the goalie that was starting for bantam A last year?
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
Winter is Coming

TheHockeyDJ wrote:What grade is the goalie that was starting for bantam A last year?
I asked if it was the bantam and they said that it was not him. I think this kid was/is an Underwood or somebody like that. I haven't looked at the rosters so I might be wrong here.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

If this page is correct

http://www.grhshockey.com/teams/default ... y&p=roster

Then the goalie is either Joe Burt or Noah Troumbley.
hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny »

Just a T-hawks faithful chiming in here. All programs lose quality players to graduation etc., but losing the caliber that GR lost in the previously mentioned players will test that defense that had an exceptional goalie in net last year. They must learn to take better care of the puck in their own end (both F and D) or they will be in a world of hurt. That being said, some nice young players coming up so I for one am looking forward to what a year of maturity and experience plus hopefully coaching adjustments will bring.
Winter is Coming

I got curious. Went to their JV roster since it might have been a jv kid from last year who came up. I need to know better than to start to wonder about things as I always get side tracked.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/page/show/10 ... son=138815

They had another kid in net last year at that level.
boblee

Bantam netminder

Post by boblee »

Zach Stejskal is just a freshman this year.
boblee

Alumni Game

Post by boblee »

The sixth annual GRHS Hockey Online Legends Alumni Game presented by KOZY/KMFY is set for 5 PM on December 26th. More info to come soon, including how to register.

#Thunderhawky
Goal Judge

Post by Goal Judge »

It was not Troumbly or Birt. Gerth and Partlow played in the Duluth Tournament where they played BSM.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Who are Gerth and Partlow? JV last year?
ilovemesomehockey

Post by ilovemesomehockey »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Who are Gerth and Partlow? JV last year?
Last edited by ilovemesomehockey on Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
titleist

Post by titleist »

Traxler wrote:If this page is correct

Nope, I hear the goalie of the future is the Gunderson kid that's coming up in the ranks... He's the real deal!!
boblee

Post by boblee »

Traxler wrote:If this page is correct

What is listed on our website is the players that didn't graduate off of last year's roster.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

I assume the top forward line will be Mattson - Bischoff - Adams. Any guesses on lines 2-4? I'm curious to see where guys like Micah Miller and other players from bantams might fit in and just how the transition will be for them from bantams to varsity.
hadenuf

Post by hadenuf »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:I assume the top forward line will be Mattson - Bischoff - Adams. Any guesses on lines 2-4? I'm curious to see where guys like Micah Miller and other players from bantams might fit in and just how the transition will be for them from bantams to varsity.
Ask Greenway 1969......apparently he knows EVEYTHING :shock: