2014-15 AA High School Hockey Predictions

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:29 am

green4 wrote:Blake is becoming quite the feeder program for Benilde lately
Would like to hear any theories as to why. Better coaching? A tougher (Class AA) schedule? A chance to play in the "real" State Tournament?

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:58 am

MNHockeyFan wrote:
green4 wrote:Blake is becoming quite the feeder program for Benilde lately
Would like to hear any theories as to why. Better coaching? A tougher (Class AA) schedule? A chance to play in the "real" State Tournament?
Conversion to Catholicism.

Bluelightspecial

Post by Bluelightspecial » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:42 am

Must be another transfer loop hole I am unaware of! Could someone explain please how Gleekal can be eligible? Thanks

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:13 am

Bluelightspecial wrote:Must be another transfer loop hole I am unaware of! Could someone explain please how Gleekal can be eligible? Thanks
The transfer guidelines (sure aren't rules) aren't worth the paper they're wrote on, and everyone, including the MSHSL knows it.

Bluelightspecial

Post by Bluelightspecial » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:27 am

Clearly there must be some explanation. Maybe BSM is cheaper then Blake. Therefor using Financial Hardship!!! Lol.. What a complete joke.

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:31 am

Bluelightspecial wrote:Clearly there must be some explanation. Maybe BSM is cheaper then Blake. Therefor using Financial Hardship!!! Lol.. What a complete joke.
It may be funny to you, but having to make the sacrifice of keeping the Escalade for more than two years is no laughing matter !.........

Bluelightspecial

Post by Bluelightspecial » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:41 am

Dad use to drive a Porsche... Times must really be tough! All joking aside, great family, just wondering how this is possible. I may be looking for an out next year!

Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:25 pm

KP makes the rules and breaks the rules from his perch. Then kicks a kid out of his program that wants to explore options for the future. BSM is a program that needs to be looked at. No other school public or private, except maybe LN, are this dirty. :twisted:

BP

Post by BP » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:45 pm

Bluelightspecial wrote:Must be another transfer loop hole I am unaware of! Could someone explain please how Gleekal can be eligible? Thanks
From what I heard, he started schoo this year. Tema named captains after school started, he wasn't named captain, so family and kid were upset, so they withdrew from school, after they already started in August. Then, he transferred to BSM. Family moved, so he's eligible.

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:03 pm

BP wrote:
From what I heard, he started schoo this year. Tema named captains after school started, he wasn't named captain, so family and kid were upset, so they withdrew from school, after they already started in August. Then, he transferred to BSM. Family moved, so he's eligible.

If true..........................................WHACKO ALERT !

100percenteffort

Post by 100percenteffort » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:32 am

Nuts&Bolts wrote:KP makes the rules and breaks the rules from his perch. Then kicks a kid out of his program that wants to explore options for the future. BSM is a program that needs to be looked at. No other school public or private, except maybe LN, are this dirty. :twisted:
I'm confused as to what you mean by LN being "dirty"? Please don't post anything that doesn't have any factual information just because LN is fortunate to have a team that is relevant. :?

TheInsider

Post by TheInsider » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:00 am

WestMetro wrote:Sticking with my July 22 top 10 rankings so far....

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:12 pm

Rank Returning key players

1 Edina Malmquist, Bellows , Wait ,Zuhlsdorf, Masterman
Dornback,Mishmash,Fuss,Bohlby,,Foley,Meyer ,

2. LV North Poehlings,McNeeley, Enebak, Sadek, goalie Edquist

3 Benilde Jungels,Kaske,Newhouse, Roo,Heimbold , Austin
Calengar, Long

4 STA Broetzman , Versich, Tufto, Donahue,McDonald,Hurley

5 Hill Murray Mikey Anderson, Olsen,Mills, Zarembinski, Staum.
Coach Lechner is worth a couple notches in the rankings.

6 Wayzata Stevens, Zimmer, Sorenson, Senden,Duma, Dingman,

7 Elk River Kierstad, Jaremko,,Johnson,Lutz,Schwab

8 Holy Family Peterson, Garin, Redden, Runyon,Anderson, Heifort

9 Maple Grove Passolt, Huff, Kelly,Franta, Zajicek, Goodman

10 Duluth East Spencer, Altman,Altman,Dow,Howg
Coach Randolph worth a couple notches
I heard that Dow is ineligible and has to play JV this year. That will hurt DE a little bit.

Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:39 am

TheInsider wrote:

Calengar, Long

I heard that Dow is ineligible and has to play JV this year. That will hurt DE a little bit.
You probably heard about the other transfer from Marshall, who went to Denfeld. He was declared ineligible and family is appealing based on him having ADHD. There is an exception in the rules for this. They will most likely win. There was an article in the Duluth Tribune about it.

Haven't heard anything about Dow being ineligible, unless you have new info.

Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:11 am

Froggy Richards wrote:
TheInsider wrote:

Calengar, Long

You probably heard about the other transfer from Marshall, who went to Denfeld. He was declared ineligible and family is appealing based on him having ADHD. There is an exception in the rules for this. They will most likely win. There was an article in the Duluth Tribune about it.

If this is true, way to go parents. Who says parents these days are not raising their children to be honest and respectful. Nice job parents teaching your child how to manipulate the system. I am sure hockey never came into the conversation, only the child’s education and wellbeing. Just my thoughts.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:31 am

Defensive Zone wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:
TheInsider wrote:

If this is true, way to go parents. Who says parents these days are not raising their children to be honest and respectful. Nice job parents teaching your child how to manipulate the system. I am sure hockey never came into the conversation, only the child’s education and wellbeing. Just my thoughts.
Here's the DNT article: http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/conten ... ligibility

I have trouble seeing the MSHSL's justification here. Moving from Marshall to Denfeld is at best a sideways move in the hockey world. The kid's grades are obviously stronger (though some of that is probably difficulty-related).

Dow's eligibility is also in question, and he has also challenged it. Rulings are expected on Tuesday.

Though rules are rules and I'm not going to condone bending them to get around them, it is funny how this stuff is enforced in Duluth but nowhere else.

ilovemesomehockey

Post by ilovemesomehockey » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:05 pm

karl(east) wrote:
Defensive Zone wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:
TheInsider wrote:

I have trouble seeing the MSHSL's justification here. Moving from Marshall to Denfeld is at best a sideways move in the hockey world. The kid's grades are obviously stronger (though some of that is probably difficulty-related).

Dow's eligibility is also in question, and he has also challenged it. Rulings are expected on Tuesday.

Though rules are rules and I'm not going to condone bending them to get around them, it is funny how this stuff is enforced in Duluth but nowhere else.
Or maybe they are tightening up the loopholes this year. Hard to believe they would make the move before being fairly sure it was going to be approved. One would hope, with this much on the line, they fully explored their options/consequences before they registered at the new school.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:19 pm

ilovemesomehockey wrote:
karl(east) wrote:
Defensive Zone wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:
TheInsider wrote:

Or maybe they are tightening up the loopholes this year. Hard to believe they would make the move before being fairly sure it was going to be approved. One would hope, with this much on the line, they fully explored their options/consequences before they registered at the new school.
One would hope so, yes, and I wouldn't have a whole ton of sympathy for anyone who doesn't have things lined up. If they are tightening up enforcement, though, from what I've heard of other situations...it's been a rather selective tightening.

ilovemesomehockey

Post by ilovemesomehockey » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:32 pm

karl(east) wrote:
ilovemesomehockey wrote:
karl(east) wrote:
Defensive Zone wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:
TheInsider wrote:

One would hope so, yes, and I wouldn't have a whole ton of sympathy for anyone who doesn't have things lined up. If they are tightening up enforcement, though, from what I've heard of other situations...it's been a rather selective tightening.
Yes, it does seem curious. Would be interesting to see how these city transfers are going through - only thing I can think of is that a move is pretty air tight.

wolfman

Post by wolfman » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:51 pm

Different rules for us city folks. I hope they make those cheaters from Duluth pay. Maybe we can call it even for all those section 7AA championship home games.

ilovemesomehockey

Post by ilovemesomehockey » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:53 pm

wolfman wrote:Different rules for us city folks. I hope they make those cheaters from Duluth pay. Maybe we can call it even for all those section 7AA championship home games.
Awwww, does wolfman need his pacifier?

wolfman

Post by wolfman » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:24 pm

The Wolfman loves the fact that Karl and his Duluth followers think that all the other towns and schools in the state can bring in hockey players but his Duluth teams cant. Cry me a river. Like a said earlier East gets a home field advantage every year to go to state and you Duluth people say nothing. So yes when Hermantown gets beat by a city school I clap. When Duluth gets beat year after year at the HS girls level I clap. When East finally gets beat I will clap. :lol:

Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:42 pm

ilovemesomehockey wrote:
wolfman wrote:Different rules for us city folks. I hope they make those cheaters from Duluth pay. Maybe we can call it even for all those section 7AA championship home games.
Sorry I was so sarcastic earlier, but after reading the article above, I just believe hockey is the big part of why this student transferred. Having a 504 in a school setting is not uncommon or having ADHD in school is not uncommon. I am in education and every year we have over 100 students walk the halls in my school with a diagnosis of ADHD. Some students have a 504 and some do not. What is uncommon is for a school not to accommodate a student that has a 504. A 504 is a legal binding document written by school officials (counselor, teachers, social worker, administrator, school psychologist, nurse, a medical diagnosis, etc.), and parents, to help the student succeed in any, if not all, academic areas. The law is very clear: “The 504 Plan is a plan developed to ensure that a child who has a disability identified under the law and is attending an elementary or secondary educational institution receives accommodations that will ensure their academic success and access to the learning environment.” These so called accommodations can be, but not limited to, preferential seating, teachers notes, modified test, personal text book, a study hall, etc. A school would be held accountable if not following this student’s 504. So why transfer? Just my thoughts.
Last edited by Defensive Zone on Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilovemesomehockey

Post by ilovemesomehockey » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:01 pm

Defensive Zone wrote:
ilovemesomehockey wrote:
Sorry I was so sarcastic earlier, but after reading the article above, I just believe hockey is the big part of why this student transferred. Having a 504 in a school setting is not uncommon, having ADAD in school is not uncommon. I am in education and every year we have over 100 students walk the halls in my school with a diagnosis of ADAD. Some students have a 504 and some do not. What is uncommon is for a school not to accommodate a student that has a 504. A 504 is a legal biding document written by school officials (counselor, teachers, social worker, administrator, school psychologist, nurse, a medical diagnosis, etc.), and parents, to help the student succeed in any, if not all, academic areas. The law is very clear: “The 504 Plan is a plan developed to ensure that a child who has a disability identified under the law and is attending an elementary or secondary educational institution receives accommodations that will ensure their academic success and access to the learning environment.” These so called accommodations can be, but not limited to, preferential seating, teachers notes, modified test, personal text book, a study hall, etc. A school would be held accountable if not following this student’s 504. So why transfer? Just my thoughts.
Yes, I am torn. It looks really bad the way they went about it (financial..no wait, ADHD)...that's why I questioned why they wouldn't settle this before they left the previous school, with it being his senior year and all. Transfers have not been all that common up North - so it's hard to say if preferential treatment has been given to cities kids. But I guess it comes down to "rules are rules" and just because you don't agree with them doesn't make it right to not follow them or work you away around them. Would just be nice to have some consistency in the way things are done or at least some transparency.

TheInsider

Post by TheInsider » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:52 pm

ilovemesomehockey wrote:
Defensive Zone wrote:
ilovemesomehockey wrote:
Sorry I was so sarcastic earlier, but after reading the article above, I just believe hockey is the big part of why this student transferred. Having a 504 in a school setting is not uncommon, having ADAD in school is not uncommon. I am in education and every year we have over 100 students walk the halls in my school with a diagnosis of ADAD. Some students have a 504 and some do not. What is uncommon is for a school not to accommodate a student that has a 504. A 504 is a legal biding document written by school officials (counselor, teachers, social worker, administrator, school psychologist, nurse, a medical diagnosis, etc.), and parents, to help the student succeed in any, if not all, academic areas. The law is very clear: “The 504 Plan is a plan developed to ensure that a child who has a disability identified under the law and is attending an elementary or secondary educational institution receives accommodations that will ensure their academic success and access to the learning environment.” These so called accommodations can be, but not limited to, preferential seating, teachers notes, modified test, personal text book, a study hall, etc. A school would be held accountable if not following this student’s 504. So why transfer? Just my thoughts.
Yes, I am torn. It looks really bad the way they went about it (financial..no wait, ADHD)...that's why I questioned why they wouldn't settle this before they left the previous school, with it being his senior year and all. Transfers have not been all that common up North - so it's hard to say if preferential treatment has been given to cities kids. But I guess it comes down to "rules are rules" and just because you don't agree with them doesn't make it right to not follow them or work you away around them. Would just be nice to have some consistency in the way things are done or at least some transparency.
Agreed, with the "financial... no wait, ADHD" part. Looks like they are looking for some loopholes. This is why the rules are in place though. To stop things like this.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:41 pm

Insider

See my Nov 5 post with amended top 10 list, dropping Duluth East out for the time being.

Also, with Edina loss of both Bellows and Zuhls, I would say going into the season that LVN might have a slight returning varsity talent edge on paper, but some of Edinas nationally ranked Bantams might step up to the varsity plate. Also a little coaching edge to Giles. So most likely I should rate Edina and LVN as a dead even tie for #1, pending their December 4 must see grudge rematchup for all the marbles at Ames arena. That could be a preview of the March 2015 State Tourney final.

(Meanwhile, Edina will have a couple good "post Bellows/Zuhls era" matchups in a couple weeks against HF and Wayzata at the Turkey Trot tourney.