2015-16 class of D 1 Committed players

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Knight7

2015-16 class of D 1 Committed players

Post by Knight7 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:58 am

Pulled from the College Board that HUX had done over there.

Re: 2015-2016 Division I Commitments
Player....................Position ...............(Current Team) .......................Hometown

(Based on reliable info, but to paraphrase Yogi, "It ain't official 'til it's official.")
* Denotes commitments are official, as announced by the school

Bemidji State

Boston College
Katie Burt .........................G ............................(East Coast Wizards) .............................Winthrop, MA

Boston University

Brown

Clarkson

Colgate
Bailey Larson .....................F .......................(USA 18s/Chicago Mission) ...........................Sycamore, IL

Connecticut

Cornell

Dartmouth

Harvard

Lindenwood

Maine

Mercyhurst
Molly Blasen..........................D........................... Honeybaked......................................Okemos, MI

Minnesota
Sarah Potomak .................F .....................(CAN 18s/Pursuit of Excellence) ......................Aldergrove, BC

Minnesota State

New Hampshire
Taylor Wenczkowski ...........F ......................(USA 18s/Boston Shamrocks) .......................Rochester, NH

North Dakota

Northeastern
Brittany Bugalski ................G..........................(USA 18s/Loomis Chaffee) ......................Lake Worth, FL
Morgan Crane ....................F ......................................(CYA) .......................................Winnetka, IL
Maddie Hartman .................D ......................................(CYA) .......................................Deer Park, IL

Ohio State
Mikalea Gardner .................D ................................(Chicago Fury) ...................................Plainfield, IL

Penn State
Daniela Paniccia .................G .................................(Oakville Ice) .....................................Oakville, O
Kelsey Crow.......................D..................................(Minnetonka HS)............................Deephaven,MN

Princeton

Providence

Quinnipiac
Claire Lachner....................G ...............................(Little Caesar's) ...............................Commerce, MI

Rochester

Robert Morris

Rensselaer

St. Cloud State

St. Lawrence

Syracuse
Madison Welch ..................G .................................(Buffalo Bison) ............................................ NY

Union

Vermont

Wisconsin
Audrey Warner ...................F .................................(Ohio Flames) ...............................Cleveland, OH

Yale
Emma Vlasic ......................F ......................................(CYA) .......................................Wilmette, IL
Lauren Bailey .....................G....................................(Choate ) .....................................Freeland, MI

U.S. 14: Illinois 5, Michigan 3, Florida, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New York, New Hampshire, and Ohio 1 each

Canada 2: British Columbia, and Ontario 1 each

Congrats!! Kelsey Crow of Minnetonka HS following a few other Minnetonka players to Penn State
Last edited by Knight7 on Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OnTheBench

Post by OnTheBench » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:35 pm

It is interesting to see the early commitments from goalies in this class. The numbers in Hux's list are 6 F, 4 D, and 6 G (Burt @ BC is a G). This seems significantly earlier than what has occurred in prior years. For comparison, the 2014-2015 class had 18 skaters with commitments listed on the college forum before Hannah Ehresmann was the first goalie announced last December. Abbey Miller became the third in March. Even now there are only 5 goalies on the list for the 20+ openings next year compared to the 6 that are already publicized for the following year. I haven't gone back to confirm the announcements in prior years but I think the 2014-2015 numbers are more typical of the earlier years.

allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:46 pm

There are lots of rumblings out there of some recent commitments. I imagine we will see a number of kids announce commitments in the next month.

EPIC97

Post by EPIC97 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:58 am

Here are some recent commits.

Jincy Dunne D, US Under 18, St. Louis Lady Blues to Ohio State.
Charly Dahlquist F, Eden Prairie H.S. to North Dakota.
Jaycee Gebhard F, Notre Dame H.S. , Saskatchewan (JWHL player of the year) to Mercyhurst.
Lauren Boyle D, Eden Prairie H.S. to Ohio State.
Paige Sorensen D, Wayzata H.S. to Merrimack.

BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:20 am

Bemidji State has picked up two Thief River Falls Prowlers in Emily Bergland and Sylvia Marolt.

http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/content/w ... -pair-2015

UnionHockeyBlog

Post by UnionHockeyBlog » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:58 pm

Union College has recently added:

Hill-Murray goalie Leah Patrick for 2015-2016
Breck School forward Cheyenne Harris for 2016-2017

More on their commitments at: http://t.co/hVuVFTQyFd

Marty

Post by Marty » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:08 am

Union beat Minnesota on the men's side. Is Union a D1 program with out athletic scholarships ?

Knight7

Post by Knight7 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:10 am

Marty,

Union is a school without athletic scholarship. It is a financially need based school. Most students will get financial support. It will depend the on parents income.

Bulldog3489

Post by Bulldog3489 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:41 am

Knight7 wrote:Marty,

Union is a school without athletic scholarship. It is a financially need based school. Most students will get financial support. It will depend the on parents income.
I'm pretty sure Union has academic scholarships not just need based.

SECoach

Post by SECoach » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:47 pm

Bulldog3489 wrote:

Like most Ivies (yes I know Union is not an Ivy), Union does not provide academic scholarships or athletic scholarships. If you can pay, you pay. If you can't, you don't (or at least you pay very little). There are all kinds of rules that exist between the Ivies, and Union tends to mirror them, that allow schools to match the financial aid previously offered by Ivy to an athlete. In other words if Harvard's financial aid formula would provide X in financial support, but Yale offered Y, Harvard can then depart from their own formula and use Yale's. In order for this to apply, the athlete must certify that they were actively recruited by at least two other Ivy league schools. Princeton tends to have the most generous aid, so an athlete will benefit if Princeton and another Ivy recruited them. This is the agreement the Ivy league schools have with each other, and Union tends to play a similar game, although they are not required to.

This is a generalization of their process. Union uses this situation to "manipulate" their financial aid for athletes. Because there is no agreement with other schools, they get to be more flexible.

Bulldog3489

Post by Bulldog3489 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:01 pm

SECoach wrote:
Bulldog3489 wrote:

Like most Ivies (yes I know Union is not an Ivy), Union does not provide academic scholarships or athletic scholarships. If you can pay, you pay. If you can't, you don't (or at least you pay very little). There are all kinds of rules that exist between the Ivies, and Union tends to mirror them, that allow schools to match the financial aid previously offered by Ivy to an athlete. In other words if Harvard's financial aid formula would provide X in financial support, but Yale offered Y, Harvard can then depart from their own formula and use Yale's. In order for this to apply, the athlete must certify that they were actively recruited by at least two other Ivy league schools. Princeton tends to have the most generous aid, so an athlete will benefit if Princeton and another Ivy recruited them. This is the agreement the Ivy league schools have with each other, and Union tends to play a similar game, although they are not required to.

This is a generalization of their process. Union uses this situation to "manipulate" their financial aid for athletes. Because there is no agreement with other schools, they get to be more flexible.
Read the part on presidential scholarships:

http://www.union.edu/admissions/finaid/type/grants/

Oilfield

2015-2016 D1 Commitments

Post by Oilfield » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:18 am

I noticed on the New Revolution U19 Hockey Team Page that Shelby Brossart a defenseman for them has given Minneasota Duluth a verbal commitment to play for them in 2015.

sinbin

Post by sinbin » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:52 am

Yes, Princeton is the key. Make sure you get recruited by them, garner the best possible financial aid package, and then play them off against another ivy or school with a similar philosophy.

Froggy Richards

Re: 2015-2016 D1 Commitments

Post by Froggy Richards » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:09 am

Oilfield wrote:I noticed on the New Revolution U19 Hockey Team Page that Shelby Brossart a defenseman for them has given Minneasota Duluth a verbal commitment to play for them in 2015.
Just happened to notice it on their website, then headed over here, created an account and made your first post? Why not just say you're her Dad and be proud?

pepperpot

Post by pepperpot » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:05 pm

Oilfield wrote:I noticed on the New Revolution U19 Hockey Team Page that Shelby Brossart a defenseman for them has given Minneasota Duluth a verbal commitment to play for them in 2015.
And I'm sure cheaters Pied Peterson had everything to do with her being recruited. :roll: She was a standout before going there I'm sure. Why would you give up your home, your social groups, your everything to go play for a schmuck and get your degree from a online poser school?

luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:15 pm

pepperpot wrote:
And I'm sure cheaters Pied Peterson had everything to do with her being recruited. :roll: She was a standout before going there I'm sure. Why would you give up your home, your social groups, your everything to go play for a schmuck and get your degree from a online poser school?
Because she'd rather play hockey than go to school? Its not difficult to see the attraction a sports academy holds for the player. I have a harder time understanding why a parent would find a sports academy a good education choice for their child. My daughter loves her school and her team. Guess I'm just lucky.

pepperpot

Post by pepperpot » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:51 pm

EP, isn't Eden Prairie a sports academy? :wink: The difference between EP and CP academy is its a real school with real teachers with kids from Minnesota.

skatez

Post by skatez » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:42 pm

The girl in this example is actually a post grad, she graduated from high school last spring. So essentially BE is a good option for girls who don't get scholarships during high school.

DarthVader

Post by DarthVader » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:07 pm

pepperpot wrote:
First I have read this forum for some time and I see some great posts and then I see some that are not so great.

Tonight I thought I would chime in for once and maybe spin some positive thoughts for you to mull over.

Perhaps this so called online school is actually an NCAA accredited school that actually does have a real school building, Teachers both in the classroom and remote. Maybe the curriculum is actually pretty tough. You might want to actually ask some of the students that go there that came from other schools (public & private) whether they think it is easy or hard.

I have no doubt based on what I know that the hockey schedule would be tough to endure. Also the commitment level of the player would have to be second to none to endure and succeed.

I would surmise that players that want to get to that next level in there game would be looking for an opportunity like Shattuck or BE or any of the many other sport academy’s that are out there.

Maybe college coaches that may have overlooked someone because they were not playing on the best team in the most competitive part of the country would give them a second look on a good team. They may also think that the sacrifice and commitment these players made to go to a sports academy and leave there hometowns behind is the type of player they are looking for. After all, they have to leave their hometown when they go to college usually.

I’m sure the sports academies are not for everyone but I for one will not disparage a player, coach or school just because it’s not what I did or not what most people are doing.

Congrats to Shelby Brossart and the journey that hockey has given her from the first time she laced up her skates as a mite to college next year. I’m sure her and her parents have made a great many sacrifices to get there not to mention how hard she had to work to get there.

I’m sure Shelby would thank all the teammates she ever played with, the coaches she has had from mites to now and all the schools she has attended from K through 12.

It's really is a great thing for all concerned!

JohnnyBuck

Post by JohnnyBuck » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:30 am

Per Bemidji Website. Lisa Laiti (Fairbanks) Natalie Stanwood (Pursuit of Excellence), Melissa Hunt (Manitoba) commit to Bemidji for next year.

JohnnyBuck

Post by JohnnyBuck » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:33 am

Per Minnesota-Mankato website. Emily Antony (Bauer Prep), Corbin Boyd (Minnetonka), Megan Hinze ( Chaska/Chan).

imlisteningtothefnsong

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:25 pm

Nice opening post Darth! The force is strong in you! Be careful adding facts where opinions and feelings trump truth!! Add Shelby's Revolution team mate Megan Berg as a commit to the Mav's down in Mankato! This kid started at the oft villanized AA. Her hard work, on and off ice dedication and coaching helped her achieve her goal of playing D1 hockey!! Great work Megan!!!!!