Big Games and Your Predictions - Week 1

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

UpNorthMom

Post by UpNorthMom »

Roseau defeated Minnetonka 3-1 tonight. Shots were 24-21 Minnetonka. Appreciate the Skippers making the trek north!
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

After the Friday, November 14 games, we have:

Lakeville North defeated Mounds View 1-0 after a Lakeville North first period goal held up for the victory. 12 of our predictors got this one right, but no one had the correct score.

In the first big upset of the week, Roseau defeated Minnetonka 3-1. Perhaps the Skippers' sea legs did not hold up after the long voyage up north. Roseau scored 3 goals in the last 8:40 of the game to pull away with the victory. All 17 panelists incorrectly predicted a Skipper win.

In a game that went truer to form, Blake defeated Cretin-Derham Hall 5-3. Lund and Chancellor tallied two goals apiece for the Bears. 16 of our guessers got this one correct, but no one nailed the correct score.

In the final game of the evening, another upset according to 15 of our panelists, Hibbing/Chisholm defeated Irondale 3-2 behind 2 goals by Fairbanks. 36guy not only correctly guessed the winning team, but also the correct score, which vaults him into within 1 point of the lead heading into Saturday's games. Well done, sir.

With 4 Saturday games remaining, the standings are:

12: Knight7
11: 36Guy, clutterbucket, panpan111
10: Fisheye, Hockeymaven, sinbin
9: Conventional Wisdom, hockeybozo, MNHockeyFan, U10father
8: 5 others
6: 1 other
5: 1 other

3 of the Saturday games are very one-sided with the Benilde/Dodge County game more of a tossup, according to our participants. An upset or two were picked by our leaders, so we still have conceivably 7 people who could come away with sweet victory. Good luck, everyone.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

For the final games of Week 1, we have:

Minnetonka rebounded from their first loss of the season with a decisive win over Warroad 7-0. Norby, Hoelscher, and Rothstein each tallied two goals apiece to lead the Skippers. 16 of our responders predicted a Tonka win, but no one hit the correct score.

Dodge County defeated Benilde by a 4-2 margin. While 10 of our predictors got the winning team right, three of them (nu2hockey, panpan111, and Spars46) also nailed the correct score, just to make things interesting as we head into our final two games.

Edina defeated Stillwater 7-3 as Bowlby notched a hat trick and Williamson added two more goals for the Hornets. 15 of our panelists were correct, but no one had the correct score.

The final game of the week was the third "lucky 7" of the night, a Proctor/Hermantown 7-0 victory over Chisago Lakes. Hoff netted a hat trick for P/H. 15 of our respondents predicted the winning team, but again no one had the correct score.

So, the final standings are:
16: panpan111
15: 36Guy, clutterbucket, Knight7
14: Hockeymaven
13: Conventional Wisdom, hockeybozo, MNHockeyFan, nu2hockey, sinbin
12: U10father, wolfman
11: 3 others
10: 2 others
8: 1 other

Congratulations to panpan111 and look for Week 2 games soon.
nu2hockey

Re: Big Games and Your Predictions - Week 1

Post by nu2hockey »

sinbin wrote:With a HUGE thanks to MNHockeyFan for running the Big Games contest for some 5 odd years, I'll throw my hat into the ring and attempt to take over the reins. I only ask that you give me at least two weeks to get my act together in an attempt to do justice to MNHockeyFan's yeoman's work, before sending any slings or arrows my way.

That being said, I'll send out a list of weekly games for this contest during the 2014-15 regular season. If things go well, some holiday tournaments, too. Once the regular season is finished, I would then add separate contests for Sections and the State Tournaments.

The criteria to make the list of games each week will be that BOTH teams must be currently ranked - in the Top 20 if they are a Class AA team or in the Top 20 if they are Class A (note that I'm including the Top 20 Class A teams instead of Top 10 Class A teams as in previous years in order to stretch the participants' knowledge a bit more . . . or maybe just provide for a few more "easy" points.)

One other change I'd like to make is to add the "Biggest Game of the Week" (BGotW). The criteria for this is the lowest combined total KRACH rankings (i.e., the lowest possible combined total would be 3 - not counting a theoretical tie - if #1 played #2). I realize that early season KRACH rankings are a bit funky, but they should settle down in a couple of weeks. This game will award a second bonus point if the contestant guesses the correct score (3 points maximum) for this game.

I'll use as my source the LPH rankings and Hockey Hub for schedules. Please let me know if you notice any inaccuracies in Hockey Hub and I'll make adjustments accordingly.

To start things off there are 18 qualifying games that will be played this week. We're missing a few games from last weekend and there isn't much time to predict the November 11 games. I was out of town last week and thought that it was worthwhile to keep this tradition going, even if we have a somewhat slow start.

To participate, just copy and paste the list of games into your post and add your predicted score for each. You’ll earn one point for forecasting the winner of each game, and another bonus point for any correct score (and two bonus points for a maximum three points for the correct score of the "Biggest Game of the Week"). Be sure to post your predictions by each week’s deadline. The deadline for posting this week is 7PM on Tuesday, November 11th. However, due to the late start of this contest, you can submit your picks by 6:45PM on Thursday, November 13th, but will be missing the four November 11th games.

Please provide any constructive feedback and/or corrections.

Best of luck to all of the players and coaches this year!

Big Games - Week 1

Tuesday, November 11
#16AA Burnsville @ #3AA Minnetonka
#5AA Edina @ #6AA Lakeville North
#7AA Benilde-St. Margaret's @ #3A Breck [BGotW]
#12A Totino-Grace @ #14AA Blaine

Thursday, November 13
#4AA Wayzata @ #15AA Lakeville South
#6A South St. Paul @ #8A Mound Westonka
#14AA Blaine @ #12AA Stillwater
#11A Proctor/Hermantown @ #18A Moose Lake
#3AA Minnetonka @ #2A Thief River Falls