Section 3A 2014 - 2015

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

sterfry9

Post by sterfry9 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:22 am

some actual quality posting ITT (in this thread) in the last few post, keep it up 3a

rollCARDSroll

Post by rollCARDSroll » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:41 am

12thgraders wrote:Interesting outcome between EGF and Luverne. EGF was playing right after having played Breck and this was Luverne's first of the day. I would like to know the lineup for EGF, they brought 5 lines with, who was in, who was out? Who was in net. How did their Breck scrimmage go?.
IF we're firing up the excuse machine, Luverne had a 5 hour bus ride through snowy conditions, which arrived to the arena under 15 minutes before they took the ice.
12thgraders wrote:Luverne won't play New Ulm in the regular season even though it is a section game and could actually give them some competition? Why are they running from a section challenge? Playing games like that in season help during playoffs so the team doesn't get all tight and nervous and kick the first goal in their own net at state. To be the best, you need to play the best.
You couldnt be more backwards here, New Ulm was the one running away from playing Luverne, and the only reason they are this year is because the Big South Conference requires it. Lord Setterholm was quoted in the paper being very upset about their entrance into the big south. Also, if you missed it, their Unofficial Welcome to the Big South in the Section 3A final last year resulted in an old fashioned butt whooping.

Also, the Luverne Bench boss is the reigning MSHSL Coach of the year.

ROLL CARDS ROLL

BP

Post by BP » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:13 am

rollCARDSroll wrote:
12thgraders wrote:Interesting outcome between EGF and Luverne. EGF was playing right after having played Breck and this was Luverne's first of the day. I would like to know the lineup for EGF, they brought 5 lines with, who was in, who was out? Who was in net. How did their Breck scrimmage go?.
IF we're firing up the excuse machine, Luverne had a 5 hour bus ride through snowy conditions, which arrived to the arena under 15 minutes before they took the ice.
12thgraders wrote:Luverne won't play New Ulm in the regular season even though it is a section game and could actually give them some competition? Why are they running from a section challenge? Playing games like that in season help during playoffs so the team doesn't get all tight and nervous and kick the first goal in their own net at state. To be the best, you need to play the best.
You couldnt be more backwards here, New Ulm was the one running away from playing Luverne, and the only reason they are this year is because the Big South Conference requires it. Lord Setterholm was quoted in the paper being very upset about their entrance into the big south. Also, if you missed it, their Unofficial Welcome to the Big South in the Section 3A final last year resulted in an old fashioned butt whooping.

ROLL CARDS ROLL

Agree with you above......but still could've moved up to the Bronze division in the Schwan's Cup. I know their conferences have combined and less games.....BUT, that was a program's decision to stay down in Open and play Winona in first round....

12thgraders

Post by 12thgraders » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:44 am

rollCARDSroll wrote:

ROLL CARDS ROLL
Excuse machine? I am wondering about the context of the scrimmage. 5 hour bus ride? Did the players drive the bus? Snowy conditions? It's Minnesota! It snows in the winter. If anybody has excuses it is you. I asked questions, questions not excuses, about the context in which the EGF/Luverne scrimmage was played and I got a weather and road report.

Setterholm is a whiny crybaby and Coach Brown is the second coming of Scotty Bowman. Ugh. Great coaching there keeping the top guys in while beating Redwood Valley 16-0 last year. Real developers of the 3rd and 4th line.

I know Luverne will never be able to play a schedule like Section 8 teams, both geographically and commitment level. And yes, EGF is at the tail end of a wealth of riches but keep and eye on Section 8, another program will step up in the coming years, Warroad will reload and TRF has a good group coming too. I have been impressed with other programs and how hard they work to keep their kids on the ice and developing and all of it requires hard work and traveling. Section 8 won't be becoming irrelevant any time. And Section 8 girls hockey? 3 of the state's top 10 teams are from 8A and Roseau is recognized from 8AA. Yep, we play pathetic hockey up north, we should just fold the tent and play basketball.

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:55 am

12thgraders wrote:
rollCARDSroll wrote:

ROLL CARDS ROLL
Excuse machine? I am wondering about the context of the scrimmage. 5 hour bus ride? Did the players drive the bus? Snowy conditions? It's Minnesota! It snows in the winter. If anybody has excuses it is you. I asked questions, questions not excuses, about the context in which the EGF/Luverne scrimmage was played and I got a weather and road report.

Setterholm is a whiny crybaby and Coach Brown is the second coming of Scotty Bowman. Ugh. Great coaching there keeping the top guys in while beating Redwood Valley 16-0 last year. Real developers of the 3rd and 4th line.

I know Luverne will never be able to play a schedule like Section 8 teams, both geographically and commitment level. And yes, EGF is at the tail end of a wealth of riches but keep and eye on Section 8, another program will step up in the coming years, Warroad will reload and TRF has a good group coming too. I have been impressed with other programs and how hard they work to keep their kids on the ice and developing and all of it requires hard work and traveling. Section 8 won't be becoming irrelevant any time. And Section 8 girls hockey? 3 of the state's top 10 teams are from 8A and Roseau is recognized from 8AA. Yep, we play pathetic hockey up north, we should just fold the tent and play basketball.
Fwiw, TRF is going to be very weak for a very long time.

Regarding the girls, there are (for now) a lot more than three teams in the section, and many if not most of those programs, by their own admission, have major numbers problems at all levels.

Finally:

- The words of pathetic hockey, fold, etc. are your words, not mine.

I do agree 100% with the comments that playing good/better teams is a good thing for any team, and if that requires travel, so be it.

Of course, getting a program, parents, school budget, etc. to buy into that is another story.

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:03 pm

puckbreath wrote:
12thgraders wrote:
rollCARDSroll wrote:

ROLL CARDS ROLL

Regarding the girls, there are (for now) a lot more than three teams in the section, and many if not most of those programs, by their own admission, have major numbers problems at all levels.

Finally:

I do agree 100% with the comments that playing good/better teams is a good thing for any team, and if that requires travel, so be it.

Of course, getting a program, parents, school budget, etc. to buy into that is another story.
Yeah, to second these posters, i didnt see anyone say that hockey up north is pathetic and that you should fold up shop. A little sensitive up there in the nort are we??

Also, the 3rd and 4th lines played a majority of the game in question.... Not Luverne's job to develop the rest of the section..

12thgraders

Post by 12thgraders » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:34 pm

puckbreath wrote:
12thgraders wrote:
rollCARDSroll wrote:

ROLL CARDS ROLL

Finally:

You do a really good job of focusing on everything but my point and completely missing the sarcasm

Section 8A girls hockey. Yes there are more than three, there are six programs. I was referencing the point made that girls hockey is dead or dying up here. My point was 3 of those 6 teams are ranked in the top ten in the class A poll. And some of these teams are doing it with very short benches. 3 of the 6 are in the top 10 ten of class A.

Regarding TRF, what is your definition of very weak? Like #10 in the section? Or #3? 6? Ye of little faith in Bergland.

If you have faith in your program, why doesnt your booster organization step up and help offset some of those costs that you are inferring the school is not. What did Luverne do with there share of the state tournament sharing? Bank it for the next season.

Lastly folding the tent is in reference to Puckbreath:
This will never happen. In fact, I expect hockey to be dead there in the not so distant future.

Apples/oranges to some extent, but girls hockey is already dieing in section 8.

I do agree, I wish it would happen.

But it won't.

As far as egf, they're in the tail end of a nice run with a perfect storm of talented players.

I do not expect this to continue after this year, so it'll be interesting to see what they do.
I agree, it is not Luverne's job to develop the rest of Section 3A, but is should be to develop the rest of their own team. The 3 big named players were the ones that continued to fill the net in the second and third periods of the referenced game. Are the rest of the Cardinals that average?

Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:02 pm

12thgraders wrote:
puckbreath wrote:
12thgraders wrote:
rollCARDSroll wrote:

ROLL CARDS ROLL

Finally:

You do a really good job of focusing on everything but my point and completely missing the sarcasm

Section 8A girls hockey. Yes there are more than three, there are six programs. I was referencing the point made that girls hockey is dead or dying up here. My point was 3 of those 6 teams are ranked in the top ten in the class A poll. And some of these teams are doing it with very short benches. 3 of the 6 are in the top 10 ten of class A.

Regarding TRF, what is your definition of very weak? Like #10 in the section? Or #3? 6? Ye of little faith in Bergland.

If you have faith in your program, why doesnt your booster organization step up and help offset some of those costs that you are inferring the school is not. What did Luverne do with there share of the state tournament sharing? Bank it for the next season.

Lastly folding the tent is in reference to Puckbreath:
This will never happen. In fact, I expect hockey to be dead there in the not so distant future.

Apples/oranges to some extent, but girls hockey is already dieing in section 8.

I do agree, I wish it would happen.

But it won't.

As far as egf, they're in the tail end of a nice run with a perfect storm of talented players.

I do not expect this to continue after this year, so it'll be interesting to see what they do.
I agree, it is not Luverne's job to develop the rest of Section 3A, but is should be to develop the rest of their own team. The 3 big named players were the ones that continued to fill the net in the second and third periods of the referenced game. Are the rest of the Cardinals that average?
Yeah I think all your cardinals in the redwood valley are below average. Great analysis 12th graders!

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:03 pm

What exactly are you trying to say? What is the focus of your point? You seem to have a shotgun of hate and are spraying the shells everywhere you can aim...

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:08 pm

12thgraders wrote:
puckbreath wrote:
12thgraders wrote:
rollCARDSroll wrote:

ROLL CARDS ROLL

Finally:

12thgraders wrote:You do a really good job of focusing on everything but my point and completely missing the sarcasm

And you do a real good job of changing your tunes and putting words in my mouth:

- I never said Sec 8a girls. I said sec *8* girls.

- TRF definition of very weak ? Lucky, very lucky, if third in the section, which in 8a, is no claim to fame.
Faith has nothing to do with it.
Facts/players youth history does.

- I never inferred anything. I did state some of the common reasons, anywhere, why such doesn't happen at times.

And I stand by my comments about Crookston/KC boys hockey.

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:46 pm

Whiner33 wrote: Yeah I think all your cardinals in the redwood valley are below average. Great analysis 12th graders!
Truly a Great hockey mind.

hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:49 pm

Just thought I would take a look at 3A for some scrimmage commentary. I think you must have to be from that area to understand all of the side comments and backhanded sarcasm but I still cannot get any real handle on how the scrimmages went? Redwood? Do they have a team? Sarcasm? Help us OOT people out a little and how about some quick breakdowns of the Moorhead scrimmages. Other than weather, which I heard was bad. Herbie, how did the cardinals look?

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:34 pm

hawkenjonny wrote:Just thought I would take a look at 3A for some scrimmage commentary. I think you must have to be from that area to understand all of the side comments and backhanded sarcasm but I still cannot get any real handle on how the scrimmages went? Redwood? Do they have a team? Sarcasm? Help us OOT people out a little and how about some quick breakdowns of the Moorhead scrimmages. Other than weather, which I heard was bad. Herbie, how did the cardinals look?
Short answer: Good (Trout stop reading here)

Long Answer: Rolled into Moorhead playing 2 class A favorites in their respective sections (EGF, SLP), and played all four lines steady. Its difficult to be really disappointed playing all 3 games pretty close. Tough to play the defending champs to kick off the season, albeit in a scrimmage, but the boys did pretty well. Led 2-1 until the tail end and gave up a couple quick ones. Results don't mean much, unless there is a blowout. To go toe to toe with those 3 squads is a good sign IMO. Hoping the bad habits get avoided that develop when playing the dog babies of the section. Certainly things need to tighten up, just like every other team in the state.

Luverne lost some solid seniors to Graduation. The squad certainly reloaded with some very talented youngsters, but only time will tell how they hold up. Goaltending was also a question mark, but may turn into an exclamation point if the tendy plays like he did Saturday!

Excitement is evident in Rock County.

12thgraders

Post by 12thgraders » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:59 pm

notTONIGHT wrote:
hawkenjonny wrote:Just thought I would take a look at 3A for some scrimmage commentary. I think you must have to be from that area to understand all of the side comments and backhanded sarcasm but I still cannot get any real handle on how the scrimmages went? Redwood? Do they have a team? Sarcasm? Help us OOT people out a little and how about some quick breakdowns of the Moorhead scrimmages. Other than weather, which I heard was bad. Herbie, how did the cardinals look?
Short answer: Good (Trout stop reading here)

Long Answer: Rolled into Moorhead playing 2 class A favorites in their respective sections (EGF, SLP), and played all four lines steady. Its difficult to be really disappointed playing all 3 games pretty close. Tough to play the defending champs to kick off the season, albeit in a scrimmage, but the boys did pretty well. Led 2-1 until the tail end and gave up a couple quick ones. Results don't mean much, unless there is a blowout. To go toe to toe with those 3 squads is a good sign IMO. Hoping the bad habits get avoided that develop when playing the dog babies of the section. Certainly things need to tighten up, just like every other team in the state.

Luverne lost some solid seniors to Graduation. The squad certainly reloaded with some very talented youngsters, but only time will tell how they hold up. Goaltending was also a question mark, but may turn into an exclamation point if the tendy plays like he did Saturday!

Excitement is evident in Rock County.
Thank you! :)

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:23 am

if we want to talk about a program that is terrible let's talk Marshall. The youth program has been completely destroyed. Parents have destroyed that program. Stop coddling your kids. Play A level always and follow the USA hockey ADM. But that's a rant for another day.
I remember a kid from Marshall on the Blades roster a few years ago; remember being impressed by the drive they made. He must be an 8th grader now.

hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:11 am

Thanks for the update. I heard from a colleague in Moorhead that Luverne held its own for whatever that is worth. He also said that all teams (as expected) were rusty and not firing on all cylinders. Specific to Luverne, he thought the lines were very balanced (top 3) as opposed to last year which might help get some scoring out of line 3 which Luv had none of last year. Also thought the goaltenders played well all around for Moorhead, EGF, and Luverne particularly early in the first game against EGF. Looking forward to following a little 3A again this year after being hooked in by the Cardinals story last season. Good luck!

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:45 pm

The evening before the High School season kicks off, I’d like to write a few words that can be cited throughout the season.

The Big South Conference is made up of 8 teams. IMO 4 of those teams can be classified as "Competitive." Those squads are New Ulm, LSPH, Marshall, and Luverne. Some of the games between the “competitive” teams will also be blowouts.

Every team in the conference is required to play each team two times. That occupies 14 games of the 25 allowed by the MSHSL. I find it absurd to believe that 7 games a season, a team should only play their top players one period, if that. If New Ulm jumps out to a 6 nothing lead against Fairmont in the first period, should they be forced to shut their top 2 lines down, knowing that this will happen SEVEN MORE TIMES THIS YEAR?! . That’s Fourteen Periods a season that their top guys are forced to watch. When you do the math that is just shy of 20% of the season. If you believe only playing 80% of your season at full speed is displaying respect for the game you love, you need to show yourself out of this forum.

The unfortunate truth is that the results of these blowouts are simply a product of decisions made by adults sitting on Association Boards. I hope these ugly results can prove to be a motivator for programs in the South that need to adjust their policies to better suit their programs.

Nothing would impress the state of hockey more than having one of the teams projected to struggle beat one of the teams projected to shine! Good luck to all of the Conference, and the rest of Section 3A!

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:14 pm

My opinion, once a game gets out of hand if the winning team just rolls lines, including special teams, as a coach I would have nothing to complain about.

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:34 pm

SCBlueLiner wrote:My opinion, once a game gets out of hand if the winning team just rolls lines, including special teams, as a coach I would have nothing to complain about.
Lines 1-4? Thats what i totally agree with. Not just lines 3 and 4 for 2 periods.

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:58 am

notTONIGHT wrote:
SCBlueLiner wrote:My opinion, once a game gets out of hand if the winning team just rolls lines, including special teams, as a coach I would have nothing to complain about.
Lines 1-4? Thats what i totally agree with. Not just lines 3 and 4 for 2 periods.
Yeah, roll lines 1-4. No problem with that. You can't expect kids to sit the bench just because they are good. You can't expect players to quit trying on the ice because they are too good. I would be offended if a team gave me that kind of pity treatment.

Just roll'em and give everybody equal playing time. There isn't any intent at running up the score even if that is the eventual outcome. The intent is the important thing in my opinion.

hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:27 pm

If rolling 1-4 evenly for the last period or two of an obvious blowout is what is being down down in Cardville, then last year those lines must have been insanely uneven given the number of blowout games and goals scored by lines one and two compared to three. Obviously the top two lines are expected to score more, but the difference was unreal. Hopefully the teams that are in this situation will get some more balanced scoring because to be competitive with better teams, you need more than just two lines that can function. Hard to argue with those that claim it is just stats padding Herb because that is sure how it LOOKS. Didn't watch so don't claim to know, just looking at numbers. Glad to hear if running all lines equally when the situation warrants it.

Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:04 pm

hawkenjonny wrote:If rolling 1-4 evenly for the last period or two of an obvious blowout is what is being down down in Cardville, then last year those lines must have been insanely uneven given the number of blowout games and goals scored by lines one and two compared to three. Obviously the top two lines are expected to score more, but the difference was unreal. Hopefully the teams that are in this situation will get some more balanced scoring because to be competitive with better teams, you need more than just two lines that can function. Hard to argue with those that claim it is just stats padding Herb because that is sure how it LOOKS. Didn't watch so don't claim to know, just looking at numbers. Glad to hear if running all lines equally when the situation warrants it.
Looks like stat padding in worthington last night? Any insight Herb?

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:26 pm

Whiner33 wrote:
hawkenjonny wrote:If rolling 1-4 evenly for the last period or two of an obvious blowout is what is being down down in Cardville, then last year those lines must have been insanely uneven given the number of blowout games and goals scored by lines one and two compared to three. Obviously the top two lines are expected to score more, but the difference was unreal. Hopefully the teams that are in this situation will get some more balanced scoring because to be competitive with better teams, you need more than just two lines that can function. Hard to argue with those that claim it is just stats padding Herb because that is sure how it LOOKS. Didn't watch so don't claim to know, just looking at numbers. Glad to hear if running all lines equally when the situation warrants it.
6-1 going into the third, seven 3rd period goals. Can't tell kids not to shoot IMO.

Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:29 pm

notTONIGHT wrote:
Whiner33 wrote:
6-1 going into the third, seven 3rd period goals. Can't tell kids not to shoot IMO.
So what you're saying is the top line filled the net in the third eh...

Shame on those eagles...

The bird is flying high in the BIG SOUTH this year!

Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:44 pm

NU put 6 on the Trojans in the third Top Line of Kraus- Helget- Peterson buried 3 of them.

Last goal was credited to Kraus from Helget and Peterson... WITH 35 SECONDS LEFT IN THE GAME FOR GOAL #13... Where is the sportsmanship police that was on here last year.

Went to Litchfield/Dassel-Cokato home opener tonight. Rough one got exposed 6 to 1 by River Lakes. They have talent but breaking in some young defensemen. Will be a team to watch progress as the year goes on.