Section 3A 2014 - 2015

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:05 am

If you know anything about new ulm players and who is on the bench this comes as zero surprise.

TheSiouxSuck

Post by TheSiouxSuck » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:48 am

notTONIGHT wrote:The evening before the High School season kicks off, I’d like to write a few words that can be cited throughout the season.

The Big South Conference is made up of 8 teams. IMO 4 of those teams can be classified as "Competitive." Those squads are New Ulm, LSPH, Marshall, and Luverne. Some of the games between the “competitive” teams will also be blowouts.

Every team in the conference is required to play each team two times. That occupies 14 games of the 25 allowed by the MSHSL. I find it absurd to believe that 7 games a season, a team should only play their top players one period, if that. If New Ulm jumps out to a 6 nothing lead against Fairmont in the first period, should they be forced to shut their top 2 lines down, knowing that this will happen SEVEN MORE TIMES THIS YEAR?! . That’s Fourteen Periods a season that their top guys are forced to watch. When you do the math that is just shy of 20% of the season. If you believe only playing 80% of your season at full speed is displaying respect for the game you love, you need to show yourself out of this forum.

The unfortunate truth is that the results of these blowouts are simply a product of decisions made by adults sitting on Association Boards. I hope these ugly results can prove to be a motivator for programs in the South that need to adjust their policies to better suit their programs.

Nothing would impress the state of hockey more than having one of the teams projected to struggle beat one of the teams projected to shine! Good luck to all of the Conference, and the rest of Section 3A!
And you wonder why New Ulm put up such a fuss about joining the Big South?

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:41 am

TheSiouxSuck wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:The evening before the High School season kicks off, I’d like to write a few words that can be cited throughout the season.

The Big South Conference is made up of 8 teams. IMO 4 of those teams can be classified as "Competitive." Those squads are New Ulm, LSPH, Marshall, and Luverne. Some of the games between the “competitive” teams will also be blowouts.

Every team in the conference is required to play each team two times. That occupies 14 games of the 25 allowed by the MSHSL. I find it absurd to believe that 7 games a season, a team should only play their top players one period, if that. If New Ulm jumps out to a 6 nothing lead against Fairmont in the first period, should they be forced to shut their top 2 lines down, knowing that this will happen SEVEN MORE TIMES THIS YEAR?! . That’s Fourteen Periods a season that their top guys are forced to watch. When you do the math that is just shy of 20% of the season. If you believe only playing 80% of your season at full speed is displaying respect for the game you love, you need to show yourself out of this forum.

The unfortunate truth is that the results of these blowouts are simply a product of decisions made by adults sitting on Association Boards. I hope these ugly results can prove to be a motivator for programs in the South that need to adjust their policies to better suit their programs.

Nothing would impress the state of hockey more than having one of the teams projected to struggle beat one of the teams projected to shine! Good luck to all of the Conference, and the rest of Section 3A!
If I was in Lord's shoes I'd be pissed too. I cant think of a single positive aspect of New Ulm joining the big south, seriously. They are going to add several lopsided victories, and not have the longstanding artificial vail of superiority over Luverne. There are no benefits for New Ulm being in the Big South for hockey.

Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:01 am

TheSiouxSuck wrote:

We already watched their bad football product that they put on the field this fall!

Hope the winter one isn't as bad as that mumble jumbled up mess!

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:15 pm

nu2hockey wrote:If you know anything about new ulm players and who is on the bench this comes as zero surprise.
I think I know what you mean, but if you could elaborate I think we could all learn something from you.

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:35 pm

Pulled from the Waseca paper, I know most of you like to read from the guys paid to write.
Things were never expected to be easy for the Waseca boys hockey team in its season opener against Luverne — and they weren’t.

The Cardinals were just the better team as the Bluejays fell 7-1 Saturday at the Waseca Community Arena.

Luverne’s top line of Andrew Verhey, Jaxon Nelson and Chaz Smedsrud accounted for six goals and eight assists, with Smedsrud recording a first-period hat trick.

“They’re a very good team,” Waseca coach Chris Storey said. “I think we skated with them, they’re just very skilled. These guys were undefeated regular season last year. State tournament, consolation. They lost the consolation double-overtime. Their goal is probably to win the state tournament this year, would be my guess.”

Cody Ulfers scored the lone Waseca goal, shorthanded 14 minutes, 25 seconds into the first period. But the Cardinals had already scored four goals by that point.

Smedsrud scored his three goals in a span of less than five minutes in the first, converting on shots from the right circle and slot, and skating in and around some Bluejays before finishing to make it 4-09 at the 13:07 mark.

“Big, fast and skilled,” Storey said. “We tried different things. Different periods, we matched up different lines with them.”

The Cardinals’ top line was centered by Nelson, a freshman, who had two goals and four assists. Their size and speed was a lot for Waseca to handle.

“For sure,” Ulfers said. “One kid that’s a freshman, that probably won’t even play in Luverne next year, he’ll probably go to the national team. The other two can definitely hold their own too.”

Nick Harder's rebound goal midway through the third led to running time.

Waseca spent most of the game pinned in its own zone, but got better as the game went on.

“But at the same time, we’re comfortable playing in our own end,” Storey said. “We practice that a lot. You can play in your own end all game long, keep the pucks outside — which we will get better at as the season goes along. It’s kind of our bread and butter. We call it the house. We try to keep everything outside. We can sit there and play in our own end all game long and give up terrible angled shots, we don’t mind doing that, [then] come down on a line rush and score.”

The Jays weren’t able to convert on a pair of power-play opportunities, but looked good on a man advantage in the second period, hitting the post once and holding possession in the Cardinals’ zone.

Waseca is 0-1 overall and 0-1 in Big South play, with Luverne at 1-0 (1-0). It wasn’t an easy opener, but Luverne is one of the better teams the Bluejays will play all season — they’re out at Luverne Dec. 13.

Waseca’s next game is at Redwood Valley Nov. 29.

“It was a tough test for the first opener game, for sure,” Ulfers said. “That was a team that went to the state tournament last year, so it was a test right away if we’re at that level yet, and we’re just not quite there yet. It’s early in the season, we’ve got quite a few new kids trying to fill in some roles.”
Coach Storey might be calling the fire department with a "house" on fire if that's his game plan.

Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:21 am

Heeeeyyyy TROUT, let's hear it how Marshall is going State after beating a door mat team last night!

Let's hear about this trap game on Friday night as well!

You gotta give it to us!!!! Please TROUT![/url]

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:27 pm

WOW!

St. Peter rolled into Luverne expecting to run with the Cards. It did not happen. Luverne won 11-3.

Section 3A has never seen a top line like Luverne has to offer.

Ill say it again, Section 3A has never seen a top line like Luverne has to offer.

The best offense in the section (Marshall) according to the Daily Globe is headed into the BMIA on Tuesday. I guess Luverne will be tested.

All eyes on Tuesday.

Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:39 pm

notTONIGHT wrote:WOW!

St. Peter rolled into Luverne expecting to run with the Cards. It did not happen. Luverne won 11-3.

Ill say it again, Section 3A has never seen a top line like Luverne has to offer.

The best offense in the section (Marshall) according to the Daily Globe is headed into the BMIA on Tuesday. I guess Luverne will be tested.

All eyes on Tuesday.
Hope Marshall's house isn't on fire on Tuesday....

BP

Post by BP » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:23 am

All eyes on Tuesday.

7-2 on Tuesday

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:29 am

Isn't anybody paying any attention to you guys. You can't stand Scout, but, even with all your whoopin' and hollerin' and chest thumpin', this thread is pretty boring without him. You want him on that wall; you need him on that wall.

Cards play their first game in a week. One way or another, you'll get a little attention then.

lamplighter98

Post by lamplighter98 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:33 am

I thought for what Luverne did lastnight winning by a huge margain, they still have some cleaning up to do. A lot of those passes were to no one, and a team like New Ulm will feed off those mistakes.

Bettman's Bender

Post by Bettman's Bender » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:57 pm

All eyes on Tuesday.
11 goals on 38 shots... Im going to go on a limb and guess Goaltending is an issue for SPLSHML.... It is a shame no one keeps track of Corsi - Fenwick (google it notTonight). With shots 38-24 I wonder how puck possession was, outside of this threads red shaded goggles.

But Im sure STPLSHML got all 24 of their shots from neutral ice. How could a team even possibly enter mighty Luverne's defensive zone? :o

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:40 pm

Bettman's Bender wrote:

All eyes on Tuesday.
11 goals on 38 shots... Im going to go on a limb and guess Goaltending is an issue for SPLSHML.... It is a shame no one keeps track of Corsi - Fenwick (google it notTonight). With shots 38-24 I wonder how puck possession was, outside of this threads red shaded goggles.

But Im sure STPLSHML got all 24 of their shots from neutral ice. How could a team even possibly enter mighty Luverne's defensive zone? :o
Cmon Mitch, you work for Toronto in the analytics department or what? Or is Davies keeping you there?

Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:51 pm

Bettman's Bender wrote:

All eyes on Tuesday.

Sure hope Marshall doesn't have a goalie problem on Tuesday night....🐅🐅🐅

Bettman's Bender

Post by Bettman's Bender » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:56 pm

Whiner33 wrote:
Bettman's Bender wrote:

All eyes on Tuesday.

Well they did give up 3 goals to Worthington so I'm wondering if that might actually be an issue... :?: :?:

Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:09 pm

Bettman's Bender wrote:
Whiner33 wrote:
Bettman's Bender wrote:

All eyes on Tuesday.

Well they did give up 3 goals to Worthington so I'm wondering if that might actually be an issue... :?: :?:
I think you may want to go on a bender til Tuesday...

Bettman's Bender

Post by Bettman's Bender » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:26 pm

Whiner33 wrote:
Bettman's Bender wrote:
Whiner33 wrote:
Bettman's Bender wrote:

All eyes on Tuesday.

I think you may want to go on a bender til Tuesday...
Why

MrGoalieBoy

Post by MrGoalieBoy » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:03 pm

I just saw that St. Peter beat Worthington 16-0.....truly embarrassing for Worthington.

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:19 pm

MrGoalieBoy wrote:I just saw that St. Peter beat Worthington 16-0.....truly embarrassing for Worthington.
Must of had Goalie Problems

Bettman's Bender

Post by Bettman's Bender » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:59 pm

notTONIGHT wrote:
MrGoalieBoy wrote:I just saw that St. Peter beat Worthington 16-0.....truly embarrassing for Worthington.
Must *have :)

Big tilt this week. Fargo Davies vs. Grand Forks Red River. See you all there

hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:26 am

Interesting posts. Some familiar names on this thread are laying low. Waiting to pounce if Luverne falters perhaps. Last year I was always wondering what those Luverne people did to inspire such ill will from those in their own section. Starting to see it a little. Stop patting yourselves on the back for beating teams you SHOULD beat by a wide margin. Only little kids and insecure grown-ups shout look at me, look at me. I will be among the first to congratulate you on a good game against a quality team. Last year at state Luverne held its own and showed they could play with good teams. New season, time to to do the same like every other team out there. Let your game speak for itself. I will be cheering for you (from afar) on Saturday. Get it done! And Herb, stop making it so easy to hate your cards! Although I do realize you are just trolling.... so thanks for keeping it interesting there I guess :lol:

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:40 am

Bettman's Bender wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:

I'm guessing that a North Dakota High school hockey forum doesn't exist where you can pretend like you're smarter than everyone, and correct grammar mistakes?

Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:51 am

notTONIGHT wrote:
Bettman's Bender wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:

I'm guessing that a North Dakota High school hockey forum doesn't exist where you can pretend like you're smarter than everyone, and correct grammar mistakes?
People who use correct grammar usually are smarter than those who don't. I'm not directing this at you. Just a general statement. Every parent should stress it with their kids from a very early age. They will be rewarded for it. Seems to be a more productive idea than calling people out for being, "The grammar police," which we see so often on here.

rollCARDSroll

Post by rollCARDSroll » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:21 pm

The Daily Globe annointed Marshall as the best offense in the Section after they played Worthington.

This will be tested tonight. Marshall is flying high after an 11-3 ousting of the Trojans in Worthington a week ago today. They have had plenty of rest and undoubtedly had this game circled for months.

It's never decided before the game when these two rivals play. Anything can happen.

The Daily Globe may be forced to rethink their appointment of Marshall as the best offense in the section if the JAZ line keeps rolling like it has!

ROLL CARDS ROLL