Duluth Marshall Announces they are opting up to AA.

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HawkeyPower

Duluth Marshall Announces they are opting up to AA.

Post by HawkeyPower »

Duluth Marshall announces they are opting up. Obviously they hope to draw better players by playing AA.
TheInsider

Re: Duluth Marshall Announces they are opting up to AA.

Post by TheInsider »

HawkeyPower wrote:Duluth Marshall announces they are opting up. Obviously they hope to draw better players by playing AA.
They have a pretty good team right now... Good for them though, finally make the jump to play with the big boys. I think its about time for your Hawks to go AA.
rainier

Post by rainier »

HawkeyPower wrote:Duluth Marshall announces they are opting up. Obviously they hope to draw better players by playing AA.
I thought this was coming-no reason for them to stay in A with Hermantown blocking their path to state. With the "easy" road to state now gone, being AA will have to drive their recruiting.

Wonder if this influences Hermantown...
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

Which would bring the number of teams in 7AA next year to 10, same as 3AA.

Good timing, since it is a realignment year...convince Hermantown to opt up and they would have to give 7AA more of an "Up North" geography. Unless they did something stupid like shift Grand Rapids over to 8AA. :roll:
Two minutes for...embellishment (ding!)
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

rainier wrote:
I thought this was coming-no reason for them to stay in A with Hermantown blocking their path to state. With the "easy" road to state now gone, being AA will have to drive their recruiting.

Wonder if this influences Hermantown...
No telling if it will, but it should. Hermantown has no excuse. They play AA in Peewee and Bantam and then drop down for High School. This is total hypocrisy. If they want to develop their players at the Youth Level by playing at the top level of competition, why wouldn't this also apply to High School? They have the numbers in their Association and are pulling in most of the top players from neighboring Associations. When it was only Hermantown kids I understood their decision. But it's not anymore so it's time to play with the big boys instead of beating up on teams that play with the kids who live there.
kniven

Post by kniven »

That is great news! Lots of respect here for Duluth Marshall Hockey. Welcome to AA boys!!
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

On the flip side, which team(s) will be moved to A . The league requires balance of A-AA.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

nu2hockey wrote:On the flip side, which team(s) will be moved to A . The league requires balance of A-AA.
I believe it is currently
A 88
AA 67

I think the rule is top 64 plus opt ups play A. Those AA that have some valid reason can opt down (I think).
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

elliott70 wrote:
nu2hockey wrote:On the flip side, which team(s) will be moved to A . The league requires balance of A-AA.
A 88
AA 67

I think the rule is top 64 plus opt ups play AA. Those AA that have some valid reason can opt down (I think).
fixed that for you. :wink:
Two minutes for...embellishment (ding!)
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

Playing up this yr would be
STA
HM
BSM
ROSEAU
HOLY FAMILY
HOLY ANGELS
???

maybe it is top 60 plus opt-ups
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

nu2hockey wrote:Playing up this yr would be
STA
HM
BSM
ROSEAU
HOLY FAMILY
HOLY ANGELS
???

Cloquet, Rapids.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Classification for AA in both boys and girls hockey is top 64 plus opt ups, the rest are class A.
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

alcloseshaver wrote:
STA
HM
BSM
ROSEAU
HOLY FAMILY
HOLY ANGELS
???

Cloquet, Rapids.
I believe Bemidji is an opt up as well.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

STA
HM
BSM
ROSEAU
HOLY FAMILY
HOLY ANGELS
???

Also, Grand Rapids, Cloquet, bemidji.

Should have read things first.
Last edited by elliott70 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

almostashappy wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
A 88
AA 67

I think the rule is top 64 plus opt ups play AA. Those AA that have some valid reason can opt down (I think).
fixed that for you. :wink:
Thanks.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

almostashappy wrote:
Which would bring the number of teams in 7AA next year to 10, same as 3AA.

Good timing, since it is a realignment year...convince Hermantown to opt up and they would have to give 7AA more of an "Up North" geography. Unless they did something stupid like shift Grand Rapids over to 8AA. :roll:
Hopefully get Elk River and Andover out of 7AA, Elks have trouble winning it anyway.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Rochester Century, Bemidji, St. Thomas, Cloquet, Grand Rapids, Benilde, Holy Angels, Hill-Murray, and Roseau opted up.

New Ulm, LeSeuer, Minneapolis, Como Park, and Minnehaha petitioned down.
I think 1 more program went to A but I'm not sure who it would be.
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

goldy313 wrote:Rochester Century, Bemidji, St. Thomas, Cloquet, Grand Rapids, Benilde, Holy Angels, Hill-Murray, and Roseau opted up.

Denfeld has AA enrollment but plays A. I believe that is because they factor in Free/Reduced lunch kids.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Froggy Richards wrote:
goldy313 wrote:Rochester Century, Bemidji, St. Thomas, Cloquet, Grand Rapids, Benilde, Holy Angels, Hill-Murray, and Roseau opted up.

Denfeld has AA enrollment but plays A. I believe that is because they factor in Free/Reduced lunch kids.
No, Denfeld doesn't have AA enrollment, even without free/reduced calculations. Not even close, really. The enrollment disparity between East and Denfeld is huge.

As for Marshall opting up, I applaud it. Welcome to the big leagues, boys. It's great for northern hockey. Whether it will help them draw more quality players, it's hard to say; a lot goes into that. This year would definitely seem to be their short-term peak.
HockeyBum

Nice

Post by HockeyBum »

Good for Marshall, as a past parent I would expect nothing less from the na Sayers wanting Hermantown to move up. People move in to haha but we have different guidelines than private school. Make it equal and see if they can play AA. NOT!

As a long time mn hockey player lets go back to one tourney where small town pride making state tourney really meant something.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Article I read says that the AA opt up is 4 year commitment? I thought it was 2 years in conjunction with enrollment reclassification. Anyone know this rule?
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

alcloseshaver wrote:Article I read says that the AA opt up is 4 year commitment? I thought it was 2 years in conjunction with enrollment reclassification. Anyone know this rule?
They changed it to a 4-year commitment somewhat recently. Not sure why. (Maybe related to other sports?) It does move in conjunction with reclassification.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

karl(east) wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:Article I read says that the AA opt up is 4 year commitment? I thought it was 2 years in conjunction with enrollment reclassification. Anyone know this rule?
They changed it to a 4-year commitment somewhat recently. Not sure why. (Maybe related to other sports?) It does move in conjunction with reclassification.
So you can choose to opt up every 2 years and it is a 4 year commitment. Thanks.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

The MSHSL lists enrollments as adjusted for free/reduced lunch rates. For example the MSHSL lists Highland Park with an enrollment of 1009, the St. Paul school district lists Highland Park with an enrollment of 1196.
green4

Post by green4 »

No doubt this will make sections even more exciting. Move ER and/or Andover to 5AA and that section could be a real tough one, and then with Marshal in 7AA you still have multiple good teams and I can only imagine how packed the section finals will be. Very exciting