Hockey Day MN 2015

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

barry_mcconnell

Hockey Day MN 2015

Post by barry_mcconnell » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:34 am

I support our troops, let me get that out of the way.

Is anyone leery about having this hockey game on an airstrip? "Fighter jets and assault helicopters will form the spectacle's preliminary backdrop"

Nothing says "state of hockey" like assault helicopters.

They could have created an amazing environment in Rice Park, Mears Park, or Harriet Island.

http://www.foxsports.com/north/story/ho ... 015-081514

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:07 am

Kind of with you on this Barry. I'm not sending my kid out after school to play at the airport. This year kind of goes away from the theme of playing the game outdoors at the local park or pond as a kid growing up.

I'll still be watching.

wolfman

Post by wolfman » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:20 am

More then likely one or two of them boys playing will be piloting an assault helicopter or fighter jet someday. You pamby-mambys should thank The Lord every day we have boys that want to do that. Complain about something else please!

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:29 am

wolfman wrote:More then likely one or two of them boys playing will be piloting an assault helicopter or fighter jet someday. You pamby-mambys should thank The Lord every day we have boys that want to do that. Complain about something else please!

Glad this place is heating up.
It puts a smile on my face.

:D

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:53 pm

wolfman wrote:More then likely one or two of them boys playing will be piloting an assault helicopter or fighter jet someday. You pamby-mambys should thank The Lord every day we have boys that want to do that. Complain about something else please!
Sorry wolfman, it has nothing to do with being anti-military because I am most certainly pro-military. It has to do with nostalgia. I just don't get how this year fits into the angle of "getting back to our roots" by playing where the game began. That is all.

barry_mcconnell

Post by barry_mcconnell » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:49 pm

"The rink will be placed smack dab in the middle of Holman's runway system, surrounded by aircraft including UH-60 Blackhawk helicopters"

I hope its a great event but as described it sounds awful. I guess its better than the top of the MOA parking ramp.

wolfman

Post by wolfman » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:12 pm

Lone Survivor-Black Hawk Down-American Sniper-Saving Private Ryan... Do I need to keep going? Those movies are based on true stories and those boys were High School athletes in real life. I cant think of a better place this year for hockey Day Minnesota. Im proud as heck of all who serve and all that will serve in the future. I cant wait to see the evil Black Hawk Helli in the background. I hope they do some sort of flyover also. :D

Mouse in the corner

Post by Mouse in the corner » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:45 pm

I see no issue with the military theme and location for Hockey Day. Problem is that it is drifting away from what it was meant to be. In the old days (lol) it was meant to showcase the hockey roots here in MN. A chance for those towns and associations that form the back ground and the foundation of hockey to show off. A place was chosen to host it and the locals went nuts to show off their hockey roots and program. And also, btw, to make some money to help support local hockey. Teams were brought in, youth team's kids got to be on tv, local stories and legends were told and etc. It is now rapidly becoming just another comercial venture and will soon be scheduled to be played indoors because the games and the revenue stream will be too valuable to risk taking your chacnes on the weather.

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:13 pm

I would've liked a different venue in St. Paul for the game even if it meant pushing the host date for the capital to 2016. (New St. Paul Saints Stadium anyone?)

That being said it should be interesting to see how the environment plays with the game, I can imagine the wind being problematic at Holman.

barry_mcconnell

Post by barry_mcconnell » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:44 pm

wolfman wrote:Lone Survivor-Black Hawk Down-American Sniper-Saving Private Ryan... Do I need to keep going? Those movies are based on true stories and those boys were High School athletes in real life. I cant think of a better place this year for hockey Day Minnesota. Im proud as heck of all who serve and all that will serve in the future. I cant wait to see the evil Black Hawk Helli in the background. I hope they do some sort of flyover also. :D
Really? You can't think of any better place for a hockey game than "smack dab in the middle of Holman's runway system"? I can think of 20 better locations in St Paul and another 50 around state. The more I think about this the more ridiculous it seems. I'm struggling to think of a worse location. Maybe smack dab in the middle of I94 or over in the train switching yards?

stpaul

HDM

Post by stpaul » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:47 pm

Disagree with Mouse and barry.

The City of St. Paul, Hill-Murray, St. Thomas Academy and Johnson High School have hockey roots and tradition too. The site is a beatiful one. Not only will there be the Holman Field military backdrop, but also the river, the bluffs and downtown. Using one of St. Paul's icemaking units will guarantee good outdoor ice. Compare that to previous HDMs at Moorhead and Minnetonka. They were both set up in parking lots with no scenery and were warm weather busts. Moorhead had terrible ice for the 2nd game. They had slush for blue lines and creases, had to move the goals out a few feet and the game turned into broomball. Minnetonka had to move their game indoors.
Last edited by stpaul on Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

urban iceman

Re: HDM

Post by urban iceman » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:00 pm

stpaul wrote:Disagree with Mouse and barry.

The City of St. Paul, Hill-Murray, St. Thomas Academy and Johnson High School have hockey roots and tradition too. The site is a beatiful one. Not only will there be the Holman Field military backdrop, but also the river, the bluffs and downtown. Using one of St. Paul's icemaking units will guarantee good outdoor ice. The HDMs at Moorhead and Minnetonka were the warm weather busts. Moorhead had terrible ice for the 2nd game. They had to move the goals out a few feet and the game turned into broomball. Minnetonka had to move their game indoors.
BEST argument so far!!! 8)

Traxler

Post by Traxler » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:24 pm

It's all downhill after Hockey Day in Grand Rapids.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:03 pm

You nailed it Wolfman!

barry_mcconnell

Post by barry_mcconnell » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:15 pm

Let me clarify my position.

Things that are awesome:
- supporting the troops
- assault helicopters
- outdoor hockey
- STA, HM, and Johnson hockey heritage
- using cooling system to make good ice
- St Paul

Things that stink:
- ice rink in middle of airport runway

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:41 pm

barry_mcconnell wrote: Things that stink:
- ice rink in middle of airport runway
On the plus side it should be nice and smooth.

blueblood

HDM

Post by blueblood » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:21 pm

Note to stpaul:

Not sure where you get you information and if you've ever been out of St. Paul. HDM at Minnetonka was not set up in a parking lot.

The venue was on the shores of Lake Minnetonka in the park known as the Commons in downtown Excelsior. The location was a great backdrop that provided great scenery of the Excelsior Bay.

Unfortunately, Mother Nature didn't cooperate and the game was moved to the Pagel Center.

blueblood

HDM

Post by blueblood » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:23 pm

Note to Traxler:

It's will be all downhill after last years event in Elk River. The Hanke Pit will not be topped; EVER....

HOCKEYDRIVER

Post by HOCKEYDRIVER » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:07 am

Last edited by HOCKEYDRIVER on Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

HOCKEYDRIVER

Post by HOCKEYDRIVER » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:09 am

1st year at Lake of the Woods. A little COLD
But what a great site on the Rainy River.
I just hope all the ticket money go's to the right place.
Not to someone. At $20 a ticket

Ginos

Post by Ginos » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:18 am

On the posters there seem to be a third game between Lourdes and St. Paul Academy, is it just forgotten about on the schedules?

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:56 am

Ginos wrote:On the posters there seem to be a third game between Lourdes and St. Paul Academy, is it just forgotten about on the schedules?
Thats a good question, I never noticed this before, but it looks like they play at 7:30 PM after the girls game, and it wont be televised. Bummer for them.

Check the schedule here : http://hockeydaymn2015.brownpapertickets.com/

sticksave

Post by sticksave » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:02 am

It's all downhill after Hockey Day in Grand Rapids
Elk Rivers production last year in the Pit will never be topped. It was helped by luck with the weather. Elk River truly got involved and made it a great experience. There will never will be a more natural spot for this event.
Paying homage at Holman Field is a great thing too. I have a relative stationed there. If its done right, its a great gesture and fitting for the times!!!! The artificial ice may become a must. The Venues from the past, that suffered from bad ice, had no control over Mother Nature. It should maybe be mandatory to bring in an ice system in the future. :) :idea: :)

stpaul

Re: HDM

Post by stpaul » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:33 pm

blueblood wrote:Note to stpaul:

Not sure where you get you information and if you've ever been out of St. Paul. HDM at Minnetonka was not set up in a parking lot.

The venue was on the shores of Lake Minnetonka in the park known as the Commons in downtown Excelsior. The location was a great backdrop that provided great scenery of the Excelsior Bay.

Unfortunately, Mother Nature didn't cooperate and the game was moved to the Pagel Center.
My bad. Thanks. Not only do I occasionally get out of the St. Paul city limits, but am making the drive on bad roads to Duluth tonight for Rapids-East. My newest bucket list item is to see most of the big rivalry games at least once in home rinks over the next few years. I'll add Tonka-Edina at Pagel to that list.

grandmeadowhockeyfan

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:46 am

Looks like HDM could get ruined again. Temp is forecasted to get as warm as 35 or 36 on Friday and Saturday. Cold as 20 on those days . Is the ice going to be decent with those temps? Thoughts?