Ms Hockey 2015 (also Ms Goalie)

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

massalsa

Ms Hockey 2015 (also Ms Goalie)

Post by massalsa »

Will it be future Gopher Taylor Williamson of Edina? A 4th gopher in a row?

Will it be two Defensemen in a row (after Sydney Baldwin's win in 2014)?

Will it be a another Lake conference player or someone from the East Side?

Will Ms Goalie be someone who plays with BOYS?!?
36Guy

Re: Ms Hockey 2015 (also Ms Goalie)

Post by 36Guy »

massalsa wrote:Will it be future Gopher Taylor Williamson of Edina? A 4th gopher in a row?

Will it be two Defensemen in a row (after Sydney Baldwin's win in 2014)?

Will it be a another Lake conference player or someone from the East Side?

Will Ms Goalie be someone who plays with BOYS?!?
This year is tougher than ever. We all know Williamson is a stud, but is coming off major surgery and still getting better.

Shaver, Voight and Bizal all missed many games do to the World Championships. Aney, Rassmusen and Kolstad have huge stats, but will voters go off the grid?

The Top D are Bizal, Crow and Boyle.

Goalie....Rooney, no chance and should will not be considered. Others???? You tell me??
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

Rooney?
You don't think she will be considered or you don't think she should be considered??
Take away her D1 destination and her "with boys" senior season, and as a junior she was clutch in Andover getting to the X and All Tourney Team to boot. The rest of her resume reads pretty impressively as well.
I think she should win, absolutely she should win.
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Rooney?
You don't think she will be considered or you don't think she should be considered??
Take away her D1 destination and her "with boys" senior season, and as a junior she was clutch in Andover getting to the X and All Tourney Team to boot. The rest of her resume reads pretty impressively as well.
Both!! I have zero problems with her credentials, she is a fantastic goalie. It is the "Ms" Hockey for girls hockey not boys. Should Haley Mack from B.E. have a chance to win it or Patty Marshall from SSE? They are from Minnesota?

By the way, I want to be clear...I have a thing about not going after kids but I will just state a few facts. Is she good, no question. Playing boys hockey does not automatically mean your great and BTW that group that made it to state last year has always been great even when she was in the boys program. Girls like Biggie, Reb, Gooden, Sederburg all won a lot and went to state as kids. Any parent in that program would echo my words.

With that said..I'd take her!
Last edited by 36Guy on Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

I would presume that the sterling LPH organization would already have the appropriate criteria in their by-laws to handle situations like this . . .
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

36Guy wrote:
Both!! I have zero problems with her credentials, she is a fantastic goalie. It is the MSHL "Ms" Hockey for girls hockey not boys. Should Haley Mack from B.E. have a chance to win it? She is from Minnesota?

By the way, I want to be clear...I have a thing about not going after kids but I will just state a few facts. Is she good, no question. Playing boys hockey does not automatically mean your great and BTW that group that made it to state last year has always been great even when she was in the boys program. Girls like Biggie, Reb, Gooden, Sederburg all won a lot and went to state as kids. Any parent in that program would echo my words.

B.E. is not part of the MSHSL. But then again you already knew that, so not sure why you would use that as an example, since there is no relevance to the argument.
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

Froggy Richards wrote:
36Guy wrote:
Both!! I have zero problems with her credentials, she is a fantastic goalie. It is the MSHL "Ms" Hockey for girls hockey not boys. Should Haley Mack from B.E. have a chance to win it? She is from Minnesota?

B.E. is not part of the MSHSL. But then again you already knew that, so not sure why you would use that as an example, since there is no relevance to the argument.
My point was...where do you draw the line? Now I get the Froggy part!
Nevertoomuchhockey

Haley Mack, also not a senior.

Less certain, isn't Pattie Marshall a 98 as well?

And my kudos to this goalie regarding her junior and state tourney performance last season doesn't take away from the obvious talent of many of the girls playing in front of her. (Your list exempted Holmes too. She gets a lot of credit for their success as well.) I can't believe I had to say this.

I don't know what the MSHSL rules are, but if she wins I'm not mad about it. She would hands down get my vote. Care to give an opinion who's better??
The Bone

Post by The Bone »

What is the Ms. Hockey Award?

With the success of the Mr. Hockey Award over the years, it only seemed natural to honor the top senior playing girls' hockey in Minnesota with a similar award.

In 1997, Let’s Play Hockey held the inaugural Ms. Hockey Award banquet, honoring the second-ever Ms. Hockey, Annamarie Holmes of Apple Valley. The inaugural award went to Roseville’s Winny Brodt as part of the Mr. Hockey banquet in 1996. Last year, Sydney Baldwin of Minnetonka (pictured at left) was announced as the winner of the 2014 Ms. Hockey Award. The banquet has more than exceeded expectations, as attendance to celebrate the conclusion of the girls’ high school hockey season is annually in the range of 300-500 people.

Ms. Hockey is presented to the top senior girls' high school hockey player in the state, based on the following criteria: academics, community/extra-curricular activities, citizenship, coachability and, of course, on-ice performance.

The Ms. Hockey candidates are identified based on nominations by their coaches. The selection of the top 10 candidates, then the five finalists, and ultimately the winner, is based on consultations with a panel of Division I and III college women’s coaches from the states of Minnesota and Wisconsin, as well as a panel of high school coaches. The same process is used to select the Let’s Play Hockey Senior Goalie of the Year Award winner.

http://www.mghca.com/page/show/115701-ms-hockey
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Haley Mack, also not a senior.

Less certain, isn't Pattie Marshall a 98 as well?

And my kudos to this goalie regarding her junior and state tourney performance last season doesn't take away from the obvious talent of many of the girls playing in front of her. (Your list exempted Holmes too. She gets a lot of credit for their success as well.) I can't believe I had to say this.

I don't know what the MSHSL rules are, but if she wins I'm not mad about it. She would hands down get my vote. Care to give an opinion who's better??
Ok...done!!!! I was simply referencing scenario's, I am flippen well aware of Haley and Patty's age. Is this what the blog is about, spell check and cross referencing? Step out of the box and try and understand the point. My apologies for the crabbiness. I was not quoting anything or trying to be statistically accurate, just throwing out a scenario
Nevertoomuchhockey

And I thought we were talking about this year. No offense or criticism implied in my comment either.

But the definition The Bone provided leaves out the explicit MSHSL. So maybe your Tier 1 scenario is not completely out of bounds? My daughter is young, but has there ever been a SSM nominee? Or could there be?

I don't have a strong opinion one way or another whether they include non-traditional schools or not. But I do feel strongly that Ms. Goalie this year plays for Andover boys varsity!
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

Have not seen LOTS of games this year. Probably 12 or so. Have seen Shaver, Williamson, Boyle, Dahlquist, Lund, Bizal, Rasmussen, & Crow. No East Siders.

Most impressive F to me was Shaver. Big & fast. Williamson did not quite seem as strong as last year and not quite as fast and impressive.

Most impressive D was Bizal (shocking I know after a couple of my other posts). She is not as physical as Crow or have a slight mean streak like I sensed with Boyle but faster and more skilled both offensively and defensively.

Goalie I don't have much of an opinion other than I don't automatically think that Rooney should not be considered.

Tier 1 girls should definitely NOT be considered for Ms Hockey.

Small sample size for opinion in nearly every case. Have heard from others that Voight from Cretin is impressive and also need to see HM play sometime.
D6 Girls Fan

Post by D6 Girls Fan »

The one area where Hockey Hub falls down is that we can't get stats by position. I know coaches move kids around, but it would be nice to stats from defensemen.
Maverick2000

Post by Maverick2000 »

My top 5 as have seen them all this year...

Shaver....u18 was solid. Wisconsin
Bizal....u18 solid but did see Rasmussen torch her for three in that game BC
Rasmussen......see above, leads state in goals tough schedule, Ohio st
Williamson.....injury early hurt but solid. Minnesota
Haley....second in points, a future Bulldog with speed to burn
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

As I understand, and I am occasionally wrong (ask my wife), these are LPH awards. The nomination forms are sent to LPH and the awards are determined: "The selection of the top 10 candidates, then the five finalists, and ultimately the winner, is based on consultations with a panel of Division I and III college women’s coaches from the states of Minnesota and Wisconsin, as well as a panel of high school coaches. The same process is used to select the Let’s Play Hockey Senior Goalie of the Year Award winner."

So no mention of MSHSL and I don't know who those coaches are and whether HS coaches are permitted to promote their own players (or college coaches promote their prospective players, for that matter). That being said, it appears to be open to any senior girl HS (however HS is defined) player and also will not be completely immune from politics. Do these coaches want to set a precedent, do they even care, or will the "best" player actually win? Recall also, that academics and activities also play a factor, but from what I've seen, those factors must carry very small weightings.

The recent winners have been rather Gopher-centric, but I'm sure that's just a happy coincidence.

So, probably two different questions, as always (1) who's the best and (2) who will win?
allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 »

Maverick2000 wrote:My top 5 as have seen them all this year...

Shaver....u18 was solid. Wisconsin
Bizal....u18 solid but did see Rasmussen torch her for three in that game BC
Rasmussen......see above, leads state in goals tough schedule, Ohio st
Williamson.....injury early hurt but solid. Minnesota
Haley....second in points, a future Bulldog with speed to burn
Interesting list, as always it will be interesting to see the top 10, and the one thing I would keep in mind is finalists are picked based on their career not just one year, and many more factors then points and play on the ice are considered.

The one thing I'd note about this top 5 is they all are on teams where they are the focal point of their team for good reason, I'd say I've seen most the top end kids play this year, and there are some very good kids who are on better teams who are asked to play more system hockey but are every bit as talented as these kids. Stats can also be deceiving due to the schedule some teams play.