HM gifts a game to Maple Grove

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Sparlimb

HM gifts a game to Maple Grove

Post by Sparlimb »

The score will show 3-2 in OT for MG, but you'd have to have been there to believe what happened. High dump of the zone by MG late in OT and HM's goalie skates out to get to the puck first and tries to clear it into the corner. She hits it too softly and MG player buries it with 5 seconds left to get the win.

Opinions from the game:

HM - They face the same problem they had last year. No elite goal scorers makes every game a grind (and close games versus good teams can go either way). Goaltending was good today minus the final play, and after an even opening two periods, they dominated the 3rd and OT, but couldn't find a way to bury their numerous golden chances.

MG - Still a year away. They are a very young team and I think they'll be one of the favorites next year. They are a bit small at some spots and they wore down as the game went on. I can't see them beating both BSM and Tonka in sections this year. MG does have a fantastic 10th grade goalie (that is already very tall for her age). I think the Crimson will be a real force next year.
panpan111

Post by panpan111 »

Give credit to MG! Great goal tending and a(sticky) style of play really frustrated the top forwards of HM. They have what it takes to beat anybody!
Sparlimb...BSM? really? They are not the problem in Section 6!
Was surprised to see HM rolling 4 lines of forwards in 3rd period, OT, and during penalty kills.
They have not beat a quality opponent yet this year, but they seem to still be in the top 5 in some of the Rankings.
luckyEPDad

Re: HM gifts a game to Maple Grove

Post by luckyEPDad »

Sparlimb wrote:The score will show 3-2 in OT for MG, but you'd have to have been there to believe what happened. High dump of the zone by MG late in OT and HM's goalie skates out to get to the puck first and tries to clear it into the corner. She hits it too softly and MG player buries it with 5 seconds left to get the win.

Opinions from the game:

HM - They face the same problem they had last year. No elite goal scorers makes every game a grind (and close games versus good teams can go either way). Goaltending was good today minus the final play, and after an even opening two periods, they dominated the 3rd and OT, but couldn't find a way to bury their numerous golden chances.

MG - Still a year away. They are a very young team and I think they'll be one of the favorites next year. They are a bit small at some spots and they wore down as the game went on. I can't see them beating both BSM and Tonka in sections this year. MG does have a fantastic 10th grade goalie (that is already very tall for her age). I think the Crimson will be a real force next year.
BSM isn't much of a challenge this year. Seeding will be important because Wayzata is a tougher game than Hopkins.

I think HM is as good as they are because they don't have an elite scorer, not in spite of it. They weren't as good a team back when they had an elite scorer. Too easy to shut down one or two players.

Good humor listening to someone complain about their 4th ranked team that will likely finish 20-5.
luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad »

panpan111 wrote:Give credit to MG! Great goal tending and a(sticky) style of play really frustrated the top forwards of HM. They have what it takes to beat anybody!
Was surprised to see HM rolling 4 lines of forwards in 3rd period, OT, and during penalty kills.
They have not beat a quality opponent yet this year, but they seem to still be in the top 5 in some of the Rankings.
Lakeville South isn't a quality opponent? A game against Dodge County is a gimme? If Hill Murray beats Wayzata would that be a win against a quality opponent? Guess you have to be top 5 to be a quality team, or is Maple Grove the only team that qualifies?
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

panpan111 wrote:Give credit to MG! Great goal tending and a(sticky) style of play really frustrated the top forwards of HM. They have what it takes to beat anybody!
HM played 6+ periods in a little over 18 hours. Good for getting ready for the tournament, but hard to win the 2nd game in back to backs, especially night/day. That's why HM was forced to roll 4 lines.

And as far as beat anyone. They are defending state champs. That gets you some leeway. I wouldn't be arguing strength of schedule from a MG point of view either...
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

As the smart coaches know, the only games that really matter are those in February. MG (or any team) coming out of 6AA will need to beat two very tough opponents, as always.

Even though a HM loss, I would say it's not the worst preparation in the world when you'll likely have a similar situation at State, at least for one team who plays the late semis and the Championship game. Seemed to work OK for Tonka a few years ago with 6 OT's in the semi's and only time for a short nap and brunch before they were back on the ice for the final game. They barely used 2 lines throughout the tournament, much less 4 lines. If memory serves me, the team they beat in the championship game was Hill-Murray.

But if HM's 4 lines can hang with MG, that's a pretty good omen for the Pioneers.
blondegirlsdad

Post by blondegirlsdad »

luckyEPDad wrote:BSM isn't much of a challenge this year.
Look, I know we're not as good this year - very very young... But no need to be catty. We did manage to hold Mighty Mighty EP to a close 3-2 loss the year, and were actually leading MG until the last minute and got a tie. We really haven't been out of many games. There are good players at BSM, but most have their best days ahead.
D6 Girls Fan

Post by D6 Girls Fan »

Obviously BSM is down from last year, but I wouldn't say they were a pushover.
luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad »

blondegirlsdad wrote:
luckyEPDad wrote:BSM isn't much of a challenge this year.
Look, I know we're not as good this year - very very young... But no need to be catty. We did manage to hold Mighty Mighty EP to a close 3-2 loss the year, and were actually leading MG until the last minute and got a tie. We really haven't been out of many games. There are good players at BSM, but most have their best days ahead.
Ouch! That was pretty harsh and not what I wanted to say at all. Sorry, I didn't mean to be catty or disrespectful. I really need to read the post before pushing the submit button. I'll try again.

BSM isn't the team we saw the last few years and it is unlikely they will make much noise in section 6 playoffs. This year it will likely come down to Minnetonka, Wayzata and the new kids, though Hopkins still has a lot of upset potential. Though no pushover, BSM is not going to win three games against top 10 teams. That has to be expected when you graduate a handfull of D1 players.
Last edited by luckyEPDad on Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crossbar19

Post by Crossbar19 »

lol at everyone who tries to disrespect Maple Grove. It's not their choice to have a soft conference schedule. Sections will be very tough, but they have as good of a chance as anyone.
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

Crossbar19

Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:15 pm Post subject:
lol at everyone who tries to disrespect Maple Grove. It's not their choice to have a soft conference schedule. Sections will be very tough, but they have as good of a chance as anyone.

And they have the second best coach in the state!
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Sparlimb wrote:The score will show 3-2 in OT for MG, but you'd have to have been there to believe what happened. High dump of the zone by MG late in OT and HM's goalie skates out to get to the puck first and tries to clear it into the corner. She hits it too softly and MG player buries it with 5 seconds left to get the win.
Similar to this one? https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-greH ... wnGoal.gif :oops:
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

wolfman wrote:Crossbar19

Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:15 pm Post subject:

And they have the second best coach in the state!
Who is the best coach?
I can splash in the rink puddles!
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

Jess Christopherson-Coon Rapids. Her kids come ready to play every night. They play hard and clean. Fun to watch.