Big Games and Your Predictions - Week 12+

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

sinbin wrote:Good luck the rest of the way.
Looks like all that good luck I had earlier has vanished. :cry: (I recall predicting this would happen ;)) Last night, my predictions were all close, but not close enough to put me in contention. In order, prediction and actual:
4-2 / 3-2
1-2 / 1-3
3-1 / 4-1
What's that saying about horseshoes and hand-grenades? When playing against this esteemed group, close just isn't good enough. And a little luck helps too! ;)
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

Three games last night, with a lot of correct scores, while some of us had all 3 games correct, some of us had 3 correct games, one correct score and missed the second correct score by 1 goal. The story of my season, it seems. :(

In the first game, Maple Grove edged Hopkins 3-2. Hopkins dominated SOG, but a short-hander by Maple Grove at the end of the 2nd and a clinching goal midway through the 3rd propelled the Crimson to victory. All but 3 of us correctly predicted a MG win, with Knight7, U10father, nu2hockey, and maverick2000 all with the correct score.

The middle game saw Orono best Mound Westonka 3-1. All but 2 of us were correct, with wolfman, clutterbucket, panpan111, hockeybozo, rascalbrock, maverick2000, misterright, and MN_Bowhunter with the correct score. It probably would have been faster to list those who did Not get the correct score in this game.

In the final game, Wayzata toppled Mounds View 4-1. All but 1 predicted a Trojan triumph while U10father and hugo_lucas nailed the correct score.

With nine games remaining, the leaderboard is:

12 maverick2000
11 U10father
10 FishEye, wolfman
9 Conventional Wisdom, hockeybozo, hugo_lucas, Misterright, MN_Bowhunter, panpan111
8 blondegirlsdad, Knight7, MNHockeyFan, Nordic, nu2hockey, rascalbrock
7 5 others
5 1 other
4 1 other

Good luck to all contestants.
MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter »

It's tough when you go 3 for 3 with a bonus point and lose ground...Hoping to gain a point tonight, the wheel's are coming off at SSP. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them go "one and done" at sections.
Misterright

SSP wheels off?

Post by Misterright »

I predict a SSP victory at home and if my score proves correct, you guys will crown me king and Mn Bowhunter will kiss my crown...
36Guy

Re: SSP wheels off?

Post by 36Guy »

Misterright wrote:I predict a SSP victory at home and if my score proves correct, you guys will crown me king and Mn Bowhunter will kiss my crown...
Your score looks dead on...pretty safe bet taking SSP. Right now in Vegas if you take SSP you get +6!
MN_Bowhunter

Re: SSP wheels off?

Post by MN_Bowhunter »

Misterright wrote:I predict a SSP victory at home and if my score proves correct, you guys will crown me king and Mn Bowhunter will kiss my crown...
I love your optimism! What happened last night?
Misterright

Post by Misterright »

One bad call and a hot goalie, otherwise Hopkins takes it
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

SSP is a dying fish on the bank gasping for one last breath....

Chances are they will not win another game this year.

The seeding for section 4a is dumb but gives the gasping fish hope for one last win.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

I'm headed out of town this evening, so will post the next update Sunday PM.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

Three more games to go, and the week's winner still undecided. Without further ado, here are the last few games:

The lone Friday game had Hill-Murray blanking South St. Paul 6-0, using a balanced scoring attack of 6 different goal scorers. We were almost unanimous in this outcome, while Knight7, blondegirlsdad, U10father, MNHockeyFan, mnhockey3535, and rascalbrock had the correct scores, while others of us again missed the bonus point by a bounce off the pipe.

On Saturday, Oden's hat trick propelled Edina past Breck 4-0. 16 of us had the team right, but no correct scores.

Lakeville North made a statement over Lakeville South, winning 3-0, although South outshot North 26-18. Only 2 of us, The Bone and puckdreams, believed that would happen.

The first game that was not a shutout featured Eden Prairie edging Dodge County 2-1, scoring the game-winner with about a minute to play in the 3rd. We were unanimous except for one in this outcome, with Knigt7 and The Bone earning correct score bonus points.

Despite being outshot by a 2-1 margin, Mound Westonka nipped New Prague 4-3 in overtime, Burris with the hat trick and game-winner. This was also an upset according to our panel with only 4 picking a White Hawks victory (no correct scores).

The evening's final game saw Rochester John Marshall/Lourde and Red Wing toe 4-4. Our panel had Rochester winning by a 14-8 margin, so another upset.

With 3 remaining games, the leaderboard looks like:

14 maverick2000, U10father
13 Conventional Wisdom, FishEye, Knight7, wolfman
12 blondegirlsdad, MN_Bowhunter, MNHockeyFan, Nordic, panpan111, rascalbrock
11 hockeybozo, hugo_lucas, Misterright, mnhockey3535, nu2hockey
10 5 others
8 1 other

Good luck the rest of the way and happy Groundhog Day to all.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

One game last night, but it was a doozy. Warroad defeated arch-rival Roseau 4-3 in overtime, D. Gardner with the hat trick and OT winner. Only puckdreams imagined this outcome and picked up a point.

The leaderboard is nearly unchanged with:

10 5 others
9 1 other

2 games tonight, but both very one-sided affairs according to our panel, so a correct score or two may very well decide our victor(s). Good luck to all.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

Well, an anticlimactic end to the regular season as we have no change in scoring on the final night.

Orono and South St. Paul tied 2-2. All but one of us had predicted an Orono win, but no one predicted a tie.

A huge upset according to our panel as Blaine blanked Minnetonka 2-0. Everyone had predicted a Skipper victory.

So, the final standings remain the same. Congratulations to maverick2000 and U10father for their co-victories. Fisheye, Knight7, and wolfman finished strong in second place.

10 5 others
9 1 other

Thanks for playing this season. MNHockeyFan and I will host the post-season festivities and we encourage you to play there as well. Good luck to all players, coaches, parents, fans, and prognosticators the rest of the way!