Section 6A Final: St. Cloud Cathedral vs St. Cloud Apollo

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will represent Section 6A at the X?

Apollo
40%
Cathedral
60%

Total votes: 30

hockey9011

Section 6A Final: St. Cloud Cathedral vs St. Cloud Apollo

Post by hockey9011 »

All St. Cloud final should provide the town with one of the biggest high school hockey games in recent memory. Due to the two teams involved, the game was rightfully moved to the MAC in St. Cloud. I assume its going to be sold out so make sure you get tickets early. Cathedral slipped by Apollo earlier in the year but Apollo has played well down the stretch. Who does everyone got in this one?
hawkhockey

Re: Section 6A Final: St. Cloud Cathedral vs St. Cloud Apoll

Post by hawkhockey »

hockey9011 wrote:All St. Cloud final should provide the town with one of the biggest high school hockey games in recent memory. Due to the two teams involved, the game was rightfully moved to the MAC in St. Cloud. I assume its going to be sold out so make sure you get tickets early. Cathedral slipped by Apollo earlier in the year but Apollo has played well down the stretch. Who does everyone got in this one?
Can you buy advanced ticets? And why don't they play it at the Herb on campus?
Hockey7326

Post by Hockey7326 »

I'm taking Apollo in this one. The last times these two teams played apollo outshot then 31-23, however they went 0-9 on the PP. Looking back at some numbers though Apollos PP has gotten much better from the beginning of the year and I think will be able to take advantage of the undisciplined Crusaders at least once this time around. I think Apollo is too hot right now. Apollo is the better team defensively and in net with Althaus but can the Crusaders speed beat them? I think if Cathedral is to win this game they will have to do it with their speed.

FINAL 3-1 Apollo with an empty net goal.
YearbookWontClose

Post by YearbookWontClose »

Hockey7326 wrote:I'm taking Apollo in this one. The last times these two teams played apollo outshot then 31-23, however they went 0-9 on the PP. Looking back at some numbers though Apollos PP has gotten much better from the beginning of the year and I think will be able to take advantage of the undisciplined Crusaders at least once this time around. I think Apollo is too hot right now. Apollo is the better team defensively and in net with Althaus but can the Crusaders speed beat them? I think if Cathedral is to win this game they will have to do it with their speed.

Althaus better than Fritz? Sure looking at numbers I understand but when Fritz shows up he is arguably the best goalie in Single A hockey. And he hasn't had as much help as he has in the past this season and take into account the teams that he's playing against compared to Althaus. He's an on and off kind of kid, but when he is on they aren't going to be giving up too many goals. Goalie stats can be deceiving.
hockeylover20

Post by hockeylover20 »

Fritz didn't have much defensive help early in the year...But now the crusaders D zone has picked up tremendously. If the crusaders come out flying like they usually do I'm taking the crusaders 4-1, with an empty net
hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 »

YearbookWontClose wrote:
Hockey7326 wrote:I'm taking Apollo in this one. The last times these two teams played apollo outshot then 31-23, however they went 0-9 on the PP. Looking back at some numbers though Apollos PP has gotten much better from the beginning of the year and I think will be able to take advantage of the undisciplined Crusaders at least once this time around. I think Apollo is too hot right now. Apollo is the better team defensively and in net with Althaus but can the Crusaders speed beat them? I think if Cathedral is to win this game they will have to do it with their speed.

Althaus better than Fritz? Sure looking at numbers I understand but when Fritz shows up he is arguably the best goalie in Single A hockey. And he hasn't had as much help as he has in the past this season and take into account the teams that he's playing against compared to Althaus. He's an on and off kind of kid, but when he is on they aren't going to be giving up too many goals. Goalie stats can be deceiving.

as someone who played against both of these goalies in the past and watched them play on numerous occasions, Fritz is definitely the better of the pair. Apollo has some of the stingiest defenders in the state who consistently block shots and force terrible angle shots that have boosted Althaus' numbers.I agree both are good tendys when they are on but Cathedral has the better one.
curtiscurve

Post by curtiscurve »

This is setting up to be a wonderful hockey game. If these 2 teams played 10 games, it would probably be split 5 and 5. I think this will be a low scoring affair and the first team to score 2 will win. I'll go with Apollo 2-1 in overtime.
YearbookWontClose

I think Cathedral figured stuff out at the perfect time in the season. Coming in with some good goaltending as well down the stretch. I have Crusaders 3 1. Fritz, Neu and Gadbois score but Apollo outshoots them.
YearbookWontClose

hawkhockey wrote:
hockey9011 wrote:All St. Cloud final should provide the town with one of the biggest high school hockey games in recent memory. Due to the two teams involved, the game was rightfully moved to the MAC in St. Cloud. I assume its going to be sold out so make sure you get tickets early. Cathedral slipped by Apollo earlier in the year but Apollo has played well down the stretch. Who does everyone got in this one?
Advanced tickets available starting Wednesday at 7:30 AM I believe. I would recommend getting one early too because this is probably the town's biggest high school hockey game in the last decade, if not ever. Any hockey fan from the area is going to want to be there.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

Anyone know if streaming audio will be available for this game?
BobSaget

Post by BobSaget »

Mite-dad wrote:Anyone know if streaming audio will be available for this game?
On the radio Monday, Dave Overland (the play-by-play guy) stated that the game will not be on the radio; however, it will be streamed on WJON.com. It's possible that it would also be streamed on MSBN.

Pick your poison, but I think Dave is very good.
hawkhockey

Post by hawkhockey »

YearbookWontClose wrote:
hawkhockey wrote:
Advanced tickets available starting Wednesday at 7:30 AM I believe. I would recommend getting one early too because this is probably the town's biggest high school hockey game in the last decade, if not ever. Any hockey fan from the area is going to want to be there.
The MAC website says "Pre Sale Tickets at the MAC 12:00pm - 5:00pm in the Business office" under Thursday. Where did you find the 7:30 today bit?
hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 »

hawkhockey wrote:
YearbookWontClose wrote:
hawkhockey wrote: Can you buy advanced ticets? And why don't they play it at the Herb on campus?
7:30 was for students at cathedral and apollo high school

The MAC website says "Pre Sale Tickets at the MAC 12:00pm - 5:00pm in the Business office" under Thursday. Where did you find the 7:30 today bit?
YearbookWontClose

hockey9011 wrote:
hawkhockey wrote:
YearbookWontClose wrote: Advanced tickets available starting Wednesday at 7:30 AM I believe. I would recommend getting one early too because this is probably the town's biggest high school hockey game in the last decade, if not ever. Any hockey fan from the area is going to want to be there.
7:30 was for students at cathedral and apollo high school

They were sold at the schools during the day today I believe. I just assumed that the MAC was doing the same thing but you're right they're only selling starting at noon tomorrow.
hockeylover20

Post by hockeylover20 »

The MAC is officially sold out!!!!
RRubberbeeskit

Post by RRubberbeeskit »

hockeylover20 wrote:The MAC is officially sold out!!!!
Apollo Headed to State after going ahead on an EN goal 4-2 w less than a minute to go in reg.
hawkhockey

Post by hawkhockey »

Really fun game. There were a lot of big hits and plenty of speed. My only complaint would be that they sold too many tickets. Any reason why they didn't play at the NHC? Can't imagine there's too much ice being used there at this time of the year.
YearbookWontClose

hawkhockey wrote:Really fun game. There were a lot of big hits and plenty of speed. My only complaint would be that they sold too many tickets. Any reason why they didn't play at the NHC? Can't imagine there's too much ice being used there at this time of the year.
Both of the teams were most comfortable at this rink given that it's their home rink. Also, the MAC is NHL size sheet and NHC is Olympic. It is a totally different game when played on a wider surface and I don't think the coaches wanted to add that aspect into the game. Also, the packed arena gave it an atmosphere that probably wouldn't have been the same at SCSU.
hawkhockey

Post by hawkhockey »

YearbookWontClose wrote:
hawkhockey wrote:Really fun game. There were a lot of big hits and plenty of speed. My only complaint would be that they sold too many tickets. Any reason why they didn't play at the NHC? Can't imagine there's too much ice being used there at this time of the year.
Both of the teams were most comfortable at this rink given that it's their home rink. Also, the MAC is NHL size sheet and NHC is Olympic. It is a totally different game when played on a wider surface and I don't think the coaches wanted to add that aspect into the game. Also, the packed arena gave it an atmosphere that probably wouldn't have been the same at SCSU.
Very valid points. I was looking at it only from a fan perspective and hoping to get more people in the building because the MAC felt a bit too packed for me. If I was playing I would want it on the small ice too.