Section 3A 2014 - 2015

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny »

Sorry to see the red team go down but there seems to be a common theme that just makes me nuts as a defensive (no pun intended) former blueliner. I hope everyone bashing the defense realizes that defense is a TEAM concept as opposed to 2 guys on a blue line. Sounded like L let NU break out easily and uncontested. Then on TOP of that there are some issues in their own end. One huge one that I am sure I don't need to point out but also 7 goals on 34 shots? Ouch. Tough ending.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

I've just been lurking in this thread following 3A from a distance. Logged on this morning to read the recap. Honestly, not surprised at the result. From what I saw on HDM Luverne's defense was poor, following this thread this season that seemed to be a common theme. Not shocking it came back to bite them this time of year. Cards have good offensive talent but team defense wins championships. Too bad as I was actually pulling for Luverne to have another good run and to continue laying the foundation of good hockey coming out of the SW. Looks like New Ulm will have to carry the banner this season.
Bettman's Bender

Post by Bettman's Bender »

Good post Johnny. Defense is a team concept many people don't understand. 3A concept of good defense is exemplified by some boisterous dad yelling "Hit him!" From the stands.... Defense is a 6 man, 200 foot effort and is all about positioning and grit.. it's played by every person, on all 200 feet of the rink.... Seeing some Luverne highlights and video from the year, their forward play in the defensive zone seemed suspect.

After listening to the game on the Luverne radio I was led to believe that the reffing and otherwise officiating of the game was well done. Sounded like New Ulm deserved to win.

Stop making excuses. Referee this, referee that..... You were flat out beat by a team who was better than you last night.
Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 »

Game recap;

Luverne got out played....

Luverne got out coached....

Sleepy Eye won the game congrats on the state tourney berth!
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Bettman's Bender wrote:Good post Johnny. Defense is a team concept many people don't understand. 3A concept of good defense is exemplified by some boisterous dad yelling "Hit him!" From the stands.... Defense is a 6 man, 200 foot effort and is all about positioning and grit.. it's played by every person, on all 200 feet of the rink.... Seeing some Luverne highlights and video from the year, their forward play in the defensive zone seemed suspect.

After listening to the game on the Luverne radio I was led to believe that the reffing and otherwise officiating of the game was well done. Sounded like New Ulm deserved to win.

Stop making excuses. Referee this, referee that..... You were flat out beat by a team who was better than you last night.
I agree with you Bettman, Luverne was outplayed. New Ulm won races, and battles all over the ice.

The JAZ line had 9 points and all the goals. It happened all year long, in closely contested games the other lines didn't produce. Odd man rushes were a game changer for New Ulm, they finished their opportunities. Hats off to New Ulm, good luck at State!
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Thegoldenjet wrote:Meyer, not the best goalie to come through Section 3A, maybe, hard to say, had the best team in Section 3A in the last few years in front of him last year and did a damn good job keeping the puck out of the net, but beaten the year prior by a team who needed a goalie oh so much more than last year's Luverne squad (when JAZ wasn't even the top line).

Sleepy Eye executed their instructions,

1. Frustrate talent with effort, don't commit penalties (this is where I'm saying from firsthand observation the referees did not decide the game, I don't care if Don is watching you play, when you use your upper body to pull and your leg to push, its a slough foot, and a good ref will call you for tripping, and a good team will take the lead and never trail in the game).
2. Weather the storm, cross your fingers your goalie can bail you out, if the puck comes high get it out w/ possession and exploit awful defense, including one highly touted Charlie Conway, who's game I generally have respected but calmness under pressure and vision would have served him, and apparently the faithful well, who would take his and His name in vain in the same sentence, too much pressure maybe?, and long scripture long....
3. Put the puck away when you have the chance. New Ulm/SE had the formula and executed it.

I would hope all players in tonight's game hold their head up, I saw no lack of effort or heart from either team. Many moments, individual and collective, positive and negative, will have left a mark on their memories, hopefully for the better, now and/or later, whether it be the former or the latter. The kids played, and they should be proud, even if Dad, Tom, Dick and Harry take awhile to come around.

I also would hope the faithful at some point may tire of pretending to be better than they are, and accept reality. Its good to have goals and dreams, and lofty ones, but its also good to have some concept of reality when set upon the pursuit of such ambitions.

notTONIGHT, this one was for you brother.
Which Part?
GoBigorGoHome

Post by GoBigorGoHome »

[/quote]

I agree with you Bettman, Luverne was outplayed. New Ulm won races, and battles all over the ice.

The JAZ line had 9 points and all the goals. It happened all year long, in closely contested games the other lines didn't produce. Odd man rushes were a game changer for New Ulm, they finished their opportunities. Hats off to New Ulm, good luck at State![/quote]

Please stop using this acronym immediately. At best it is a tortured attempt to come up with something clever. At worst, using it will make people dislike the Luverne Loonies even more.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

GoBigorGoHome wrote:

The JAZ line had 9 points and all the goals. It happened all year long, in closely contested games the other lines didn't produce. Odd man rushes were a game changer for New Ulm, they finished their opportunities. Hats off to New Ulm, good luck at State![/quote]
Please stop using this acronym immediately. At best it is a tortured attempt to come up with something clever. At worst, using it will make people dislike the Luverne Loonies even more.
no
MrGoalieBoy

Post by MrGoalieBoy »

After this year, it will be very interesting to see what Nelson and Smedsrud do. Besides those two, is there going to a major dropoff in talent, most of the other top dogs in the section, I believe, were seniors? Any input?
InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 »

MrGoalieBoy wrote:After this year, it will be very interesting to see what Nelson and Smedsrud do. Besides those two, is there going to a major dropoff in talent, most of the other top dogs in the section, I believe, were seniors? Any input?
I am sure notTONIGHT knows what JAZ is up to. Will they both be leaving for greener pastures?
lamplighter98

Post by lamplighter98 »

MrGoalieBoy wrote:After this year, it will be very interesting to see what Nelson and Smedsrud do. Besides those two, is there going to a major dropoff in talent, most of the other top dogs in the section, I believe, were seniors? Any input?
Crabtree(goalie), Verhey (line 1) Toby (defense) Aukes and Hoffman.
lamplighter98

Post by lamplighter98 »

notTONIGHT wrote:
GoBigorGoHome wrote:

The JAZ line had 9 points and all the goals. It happened all year long, in closely contested games the other lines didn't produce. Odd man rushes were a game changer for New Ulm, they finished their opportunities. Hats off to New Ulm, good luck at State!
no[/quote]

OLE!!!!
GoBigorGoHome

Post by GoBigorGoHome »

InYourFace09 wrote:
I am sure notTONIGHT knows what JAZ is up to. Will they both be leaving for greener pastures?
I've heard incoming freshman Isaac Ismus will be taking the third spot on the top line. This new line will be known as the J_Z line (fill in the blank) and will undoubtedly play a heart pumping, in-your-face, coming at you all the time, brand of hockey. Sorry, couldn't resist.
urban iceman

Post by urban iceman »

GoBigorGoHome wrote:
InYourFace09 wrote:
I've heard incoming freshman Isaac Ismus will be taking the third spot on the top line. This new line will be known as the J_Z line (fill in the blank) and will undoubtedly play a heart pumping, in-your-face, coming at you all the time, brand of hockey. Sorry, couldn't resist.
LOL :lol:
hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny »

lamplighter98 wrote:
Crabtree(goalie), Verhey (line 1) Toby (defense) Aukes and Hoffman.
Looking at roster isn't there another senior D that maybe got converted from F at some point? Played every game? I realize that probably doesn't get any recognition down there in the land that doesn't seem to believe in a defensive Dman but as someone who was.... Also looks like 3A as a section is on a big downswing with the exception of Luverne based on bantam performance this year. Am I wrong about that?
BuffaloRidgeHockey

Post by BuffaloRidgeHockey »

Luverne will graduate 3 Defenseman #22 who played A TON of minutes (Too Many Minutes IMO). #21 and #4 seemed to spilt time and also played but very limited minutes.

Forwards they graduate #5 off the first line and #2 and #27 who both played limited minutes on the other two lines.

The HUGE question mark will be in the net where #30 played pretty much the entire season.

They will bring back a good majority of their forwards who played this year.

They have a very good A Bantam team.

However, someone has to teach these boys defense and how to play position last night was ugly to watch at times. Defense were pinching with no 3rd forward high in sight. Resulted in multiple odd man rushes. Also the overall defensive zone coverage was missing last night. Lots of running around and really no reason for the running.

Nelson and Smedsrud will both have options to leave now. Not going back to state may have been the thing that pushed these young men out to greener pastures. Or it may have been the thing that brings them back to get revenge next year. Both are fine young men and have to respect whatever they decide.

If they leave will still be better then most in 3A but not a true contender if they stay they will be in the thick of it next year.

Also, next week the State will redo the sections so that has major implications on things as well.

Congrats Eagles and Good Luck at State.

There will be Tier 1 AAA U16 and U18 team next year next door called the Sioux Falls Jr. Stampede.
Last edited by BuffaloRidgeHockey on Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

InYourFace09 wrote:
TBD
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

Does anyone know if the sun came up in Luverne this morning? I have a call in to Mediacom verifying that their internet in the area is working. Can't seem to find the Big Red supporters today.
blueblood

3A finals

Post by blueblood »

Oh where, oh where has our RCR guy gone. Oh where, oh where could be?

Maybe he got RolledOver?

:shock:
GoldyGopher

Re: 3A finals

Post by GoldyGopher »

blueblood wrote:Oh where, oh where has our RCR guy gone. Oh where, oh where could be?

Maybe he got RolledOver?

:shock:
My guess is he will return as soon as his horse and buggy make it back to Luverne.
OU812

Post by OU812 »

Congrats to New Ulm.

Luverne posters, sorry about the karma, but really - insulting the coach of a team in your section like you have been mocking the NU coach all year? Calling him "Lord", or saying "Eagle fry in the parking lot"? Not too bright. I'm guessing those comments fired up the NU team even more last night. In close playoff games, those kind of things are sometimes the difference between winning and losing.

Second time in three years 3A Hockey Scout has the last laugh. Yet no post game boasting and posting yet.

P.S. The Luverne radio announcers were very very classy at the end of the broadcast last night. Seriously, they complimented NU, the refs, and stayed positive for next year. Something to think about, forum Cardinal Nation
wooshlager

Post by wooshlager »

Well to be fair Scout just picks the field against Luverne... not real hard to have a last laugh with those odds.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Deleted post, wrong thread. :oops:
hammer99

Post by hammer99 »

Seriously, why does this section get attention? Both of these teams would lose to top tier junior gold teams in the state...
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

hammer99 wrote:Seriously, why does this section get attention? Both of these teams would lose to top tier junior gold teams in the state...
It's excitement for southern MN. My guess is you live near the metro? Do understand these are all public school teams in smaller communities where hockey might not always be the main sport for everyone? If you were at the section championship you would understand the excitement.