AA Semifinal: Duluth East vs #2 Edina

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will win?

Hounds
47%
Hornets
53%

Total votes: 45

BigTen

Post by BigTen »

Amazing! Best game they have played this tournament by far.

I notice each win the player interviewed gives credit to the system or the coach.

No question Randolph is coach of the year!
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

East just EASILY beat Edina. :lol: 8)
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

hockey59 wrote:
Slammer wrote:I had doubts against Andover in the first round of sections. I had big doubts about Grand Rapids in the section semi final. I had HUGE doubts against Elk River in the section final. I was just happy to see them at state today.

ALL of these doubts are gone now. This team can beat anybody in the state. This team can win a state championship this year.

THEY. ARE. GOOD.

They will beat Edina.

DE's improbable, impressive comeback wins against ER & STA... and Slammers quote above...brings to mind a memorable quote from the movie Thelma & Louise:

Max: You know, the one thing I can't figure out, are these girls real smart or real real lucky?

Hal Slocumb: Don't matter. Brains'll only get you so far and luck always runs out.

Best of Luck tonight against Edina...this former Superior Spartan will be rooting for DE! Win tonight...and EVERYBODY will become a BELIEVER in the Hounds!
I'm a believer, I'm a believer, I'm a believer!!!
jonandrews13

Post by jonandrews13 »

Hell of a run, Hornets. Very proud of you guys and all you accomplished in the last few years. Winning one is hard let alone two and a chance at a third. If they had to lose, I'm glad it was to Duluth East. My two favorite teams. Now go get that title Hounds! I'm pulling for you!
I need ER vs BJ from 2002 State Quarterfinals. PM me.
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

Wow

DE beat Edina to almost every lose puck, mitigated Edina's speed, were far more physical, had many more chances from the 2nd period on.

THAT game is why I love MN boys high school hockey. neither are 'my' team but I found myself with butterflies in my stomach the whole third period.
Last edited by BlueLineSpecial on Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Slammer wrote:East just EASILY beat Edina. :lol: 8)
Kind of like Jan 27th - Anoka 5 DE 3 :) Go Hounds, Go Hounds, Go Hounds!!!
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

I guess I am eating cake now. Best game of the tourney. East played perfect and I hope they can keep it up. Please someone give the kool aid that East has to Ep so they can beat LN.
MissotaGopher14

Post by MissotaGopher14 »

Edina sucks! Go Hounds! Loved the Lakeville North section chanting "Edina Swallows!"
Last edited by MissotaGopher14 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Zamman wrote:I guess I am eating cake now. Best game of the tourney. East played perfect and I hope they can keep it up. Please someone give the kool aid that East has to Ep so they can beat LN.
That would be perfect. Edina and Lakeville North would get the rematch everybody assumed they were destined for. In the 3rd place game. :mrgreen:

Lee
Last edited by east hockey on Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
hermantown2000

Post by hermantown2000 »

"Five seconds left in the game!! Do you believe in miracles? Yesss!! Unbelievable! And the crowd is still roaring!! Look at Gunnar Howg" Just had to do my Al Micheals impression. The shocker of the tournament!! There goes the 3 peat!! No championship parade down on France Ave in Edina this year!!
Last edited by hermantown2000 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

MissotaGopher14 wrote:Edina sucks! Go Hounds! Loved the Lakeville North section chanting "Edina Swallows!"
Thanks for clarifying that we couldn't make it out. What a game!
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Magical. DEstiny. DElirium. I cried. I actually cried.

Congrats to Edina on their brilliant run. Other than that, I'm pretty much incoherent at this point.
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

Will any of this make sportscenter? What a game by east. They played much better than they did against sta and earned this win. Congrats to these kids!!
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

Will any of this make sportscenter? What a game by east. They played much better than they did against sta and earned this win. Congrats to these kids!!
sanryam

Post by sanryam »

Why didn't Malmquist play? He seemed perfectly fine on bench. Did I miss something?
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

sanryam wrote:
Slammer wrote:
sanryam wrote:Hornets, running time. STA was sloppy. Turned over puck like crazy. Edina won't do that.
I'll remember this...
I'll remember that you remembered this
I knew that prediction was back on Page One of this topic. :mrgreen:

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
sanryam

Post by sanryam »

GPGT wrote:Will any of this make sportscenter? What a game by east. They played much better than they did against sta and earned this win. Congrats to these kids!!
Yea right, ESPN barely covers the NHL much less a state high school semi final.
sanryam

Post by sanryam »

east hockey wrote:
sanryam wrote:
Slammer wrote: I'll remember this...
I'll remember that you remembered this

Lee
That prediction was assuming Mr. Hockey was skating. ;)
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

sanryam wrote:
east hockey wrote:
sanryam wrote: I'll remember that you remembered this

Lee
That prediction was assuming Mr. Hockey was skating. ;)
Makes sense, because we all know he would have made an eight goal difference. :)

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
57special

Post by 57special »

sanryam wrote:Why didn't Malmquist play? He seemed perfectly fine on bench. Did I miss something?
He tried to skate in the pre game and he couldn't get loose. Was limping.

Edina is in love with their stickhandling. Led to turnovers.
MissotaGopher14

Post by MissotaGopher14 »

sanryam wrote: Yea right, ESPN barely covers the NHL much less a state high school semi final.
Um...you didn't see New Ulm's diving Wheeler-like goal get #1 on Sportscenter Wednesday?
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

MissotaGopher14 wrote:
sanryam wrote: Yea right, ESPN barely covers the NHL much less a state high school semi final.
Um...you didn't see New Ulm's diving Wheeler-like goal get #1 on Sportscenter Wednesday?
Yup. This is what I was referring to. Altmans diving goal was a thing of beauty. :)

Congrats to the hounds once again! Heart over statistics , and hopefully have one more amazing game left the in them!!
And a big congrats to howg, what a game!!

Go hounds!!!!
green4

Post by green4 »

Alright, my thoughts as a Hornet fan for this game.

First off, all credit goes to East. All the things Edina did poor tonight was directly from East disrupting the Hornets game. They were relentless, hard working and as an Edina fan it was extremely hard to sit and watch this game. East played a perfect game defensively, absolutely perfect. A true team effort. It's hard to imagine a team ever getting out of 7AA besides East as long as Randolph is there.

What made this game frustrating for me was that East seemed to want it more. The hounds made Edina look slow, sloppy and lazy. They outworked Edina for the whole game. You could see the frustration setting in with the Hornets and then the top two lines became individual players. They tried to walk through everyone (which is terribly dumb when playing a trap) and passing became obsolete. It would have helped to hit the net down the stretch too.
Again, I give all the credit in the world to East. They made Edina's passes sloppy, limited their chances and pressured them all night.
I have no excuse for Edina, I believe even with Malmquist playing, Edina still would have lost with how that game played out. Obviously, it is tough without a player like Dylan, but Edina has the depth to overcome that injury. The real issue was not the loss of Malmquist, but rather how Wait and Mishmash did not trust their new line mate. They played with Copeland at the start and they moved it to him a bit, but they were a bit too individual for my liking. They eventually moved Copeland back to his original line, because that was the only line playing well and it made more sense. Edina then replaced the empty top line spot with 4th liner Haug and I'm not sure Wait or Mishmash passed to him once. At that point everyone just wanted to tie it themselves and lost the idea of team play.

I felt bad for the goaltender Boe, he seemed to be taking the loss hard, but he was not the fault tonight, he played fairly well and made some big saves. I thought freshman Sammy Walker was Edina's best player on the ice and I'm excited to watch him in the future.

I don't think Edina has anything to be ashamed of. I saw them take a lot of heat on twitter and how they did not complete a three-peat, but as a fan, this was a successful season. They ran into the hottest team in the state and took a tough loss. Still a top 4 finish for a group of kids who lost a ton from the previous year. Proud to be a Hornet alum, proud to be a fan of this team and I hope they hold their head up high after their game tomorrow.

East has my full support for tomorrow, I believe in this team. Edquist will be the key player tomorrow. If he can rob a few it will be tough, but if East can keep their chances up, they have as good a chance as any to ruin the perfect season.
History will be made in the championship regardless of who wins, it will truly be a special game.
Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy »

What no one has mentioned is that East was also without a top forward for two periods: Ryan Peterson didn't play in the second or third. He is one of their leading scoters and scored the overtime winner against St. Thomas. Some of the parents I spoke with at the game wondered if he had the flu because several players have had it. Does anyone know what happened and whether he plays tonight.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

Green

I think that Giles actually moved the 2nd line center (Dornbach) to Malmquist's spot. Copeland started the game with Masterman and Bowlby. Haug took a spot on the third line. I don't understand the rationale of messing with all three lines. Later he moved Haug up and reshuffled again. Clearly things weren't clicking and they were trying to adjust, but DE outplayed them throughout the entire game. Interesting that their only goal came from a 4th line senior that got more shifts last night than in the last two months in total. Sure, they missed Malmquist, but as deep as this team is supposed to be and they couldn't find a way to get more than one goal...Randolph got the better of the Giles in this one.