Twin Ports: Best high school hockey?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

greenway1969

Twin Ports: Best high school hockey?

Post by greenway1969 »

Hermantown and Duluth East are in the finals in Minnesota, but also, Superior is in the finals of the Wisconsin state tournament. Impressive performances by the teams from the Twin Ports.
Hermhawkey

Re: Twin Ports: Best high school hockey?

Post by Hermhawkey »

greenway1969 wrote:Hermantown and Duluth East are in the finals in Minnesota, but also, Superior is in the finals of the Wisconsin state tournament. Impressive performances by the teams from the Twin Ports.
Arguably yes!!
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

You take a look at the PeeWee and Bantam results from about two years ago, and then a few years back from there, and you see a lot of great Northland teams that not only did well, but took some championships at those levels.

Watch out for Superior. If they hang on to their kids, they are going to go on a couple year run of championships. Their Bantam team right now is stacked, and would be even more impressive if they did not lose a couple kids to the Varsity program.
rainier

Post by rainier »

Schotzy wrote:You take a look at the PeeWee and Bantam results from about two years ago, and then a few years back from there, and you see a lot of great Northland teams that not only did well, but took some championships at those levels.

Watch out for Superior. If they hang on to their kids, they are going to go on a couple year run of championships. Their Bantam team right now is stacked, and would be even more impressive if they did not lose a couple kids to the Varsity program.
So you mean the Superior bantam team is stacked for next season? This year's squad would be stacked by WI standards, maybe. They lost to a lot of A level teams and I have a hard time finding anything that resembles a big win on their schedule.

I hope they do go on a great run in WI at the HS level. Always great to see north teams do well, even in Cheeseland! :D

What's also impressive for the Duluth area is the Duluth Marshall was top 5 in A and Denfeld was top 10 in A. So much great hockey up here!
defense

Post by defense »

For a couple years now I have been thinking : wow , to be a high.school hockey fan in duluth must be great . I am not anywhere near that part of the state, but it is still fun to see because I love it up there
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

rainier wrote:So you mean the Superior bantam team is stacked for next season? This year's squad would be stacked by WI standards, maybe. They lost to a lot of A level teams and I have a hard time finding anything that resembles a big win on their schedule.

I hope they do go on a great run in WI at the HS level. Always great to see north teams do well, even in Cheeseland! :D

What's also impressive for the Duluth area is the Duluth Marshall was top 5 in A and Denfeld was top 10 in A. So much great hockey up here!
There is a group of first year Bantams on the current Supeior team that are top notch! They lost several of their second year bantams to the varsity team this year, which probably affected their performance against top team. That group played a AA schedule two years ago as PeeWees and had a very impressive record against some top teams.

This is just the start of a good run for Superior at the state level, not to mention in the Lake Superior Conference. Again, they need to keep this group together for this to happen. They arleady lost one kid, and who knows how much Duluth Marshall going AA will effect the program. I am hoping, for the sake of the coach Kalin, and the Spartans, they stay put and bring some pride back in to the program. They have been suffering through a bit of a championship drought. Superior is considered a traditional power house in WI hockey. It would be nice to see them hang some more banners.
rainier

Post by rainier »

Schotzy wrote:
rainier wrote:So you mean the Superior bantam team is stacked for next season? This year's squad would be stacked by WI standards, maybe. They lost to a lot of A level teams and I have a hard time finding anything that resembles a big win on their schedule.

There is a group of first year Bantams on the current Supeior team that are top notch! They lost several of their second year bantams to the varsity team this year, which probably affected their performance against top team. That group played a AA schedule two years ago as PeeWees and had a very impressive record against some top teams.

This is just the start of a good run for Superior at the state level, not to mention in the Lake Superior Conference. Again, they need to keep this group together for this to happen. They arleady lost one kid, and who knows how much Duluth Marshall going AA will effect the program. I am hoping, for the sake of the coach Kalin, and the Spartans, they stay put and bring some pride back in to the program. They have been suffering through a bit of a championship drought. Superior is considered a traditional power house in WI hockey. It would be nice to see them hang some more banners.
Excellent! I hope those kids do stick together and hang some banners for good Ol' Souptown. The more talent in the Twin Ports, the better!
Mitch Hawker
Site Admin

Soup wins 6-0

Post by Mitch Hawker »

Soup wins 6-0 to take the Wisconsin Title. They made Wausau West look slow and a step behind all game.

Like Duluth East, Superior had their own climb from a very slow start this season and peaked at the right time.