2014-2015 Lakeville North Panthers vs other great teams

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hermantown2000

2014-2015 Lakeville North Panthers vs other great teams

Post by hermantown2000 »

How do you think this years Lakeville North team would matchup with other great state championship teams from the past? Here's my take on how they fare with a few:
2006-2007 Hermantown (29-0-2):The Poehlings would be too much for Drew Leblanc and company to handle.
2004-2005 Warroad:TJ Oshie and Aaron Marvin could help keep it close
Duluth East Greyhounds 1995-1998-Still Randolphs best teams. Spehar, Wheeler Finnegan and Angell would match up well
Jefferson 1993-A great team but I think I would give a slight edge to Lakeville
Eveleth in mid 50's-Mayasich and Matcheffs could definitely beat the Panthers.
Defensive Zone

Re: 2014-2015 Lakeville North Panthers vs other great teams

Post by Defensive Zone »

hermantown2000 wrote:How do you think this years Lakeville North team would matchup with other great state championship teams from the past? Here's my take on how they fare with a few:
2006-2007 Hermantown (29-0-2):The Poehlings would be too much for Drew Leblanc and company to handle.
Duluth East Greyhounds 1995-1998-Still Randolphs best teams. Spehar, Wheeler Finnegan and Angell would match up well
STOP! Are you kidding me? Comparing Lv North to the history all these teams (players) have acuminated throughout the years is not even close. Let’s remember the great year North had and bring them up in 10-20 years, and then we can have a discussion. Sorry.
GolfGuy7900

Post by GolfGuy7900 »

Defensive Zone wrote:
hermantown2000 wrote:How do you think this years Lakeville North team would matchup with other great state championship teams from the past? Here's my take on how they fare with a few:
STOP! Are you kidding me? Comparing Lv North to the history all these teams (players) have acuminated throughout the years is not even close. Let’s remember the great year North had and bring them up in 10-20 years, and then we can have a discussion. Sorry.
No, let's compare them now. He's not comparing them to entire programs and their history, he's comparing them to teams. Sorry.
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

You're drunk h-town ... go home.

They only team they could easily beat is the Eveleth squad, the one team you said would win.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Personally, would love to see them match up against any of the Jefferson teams from 92-94 or East teams from 95-98. (Pick the season, they were all great, whether they won or not) Also, as I have said for a long time the 99 Roseau team was one of the best.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

Not sure they would be Edina's team last year.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Mite-dad wrote:Not sure they would be Edina's team last year.
I hate comparing modern teams to historical teams; However, in this case I think it's fair to do so because LVN is essentially the same team as it was last year... just a year older, larger, more mature, more experienced, and more familiar with each other. For this reason, I feel they would have beat Edina's team from last year.
green4

Post by green4 »

The Exiled One wrote:
Mite-dad wrote:Not sure they would be Edina's team last year.
I hate comparing modern teams to historical teams; However, in this case I think it's fair to do so because LVN is essentially the same team as it was last year... just a year older, larger, more mature, more experienced, and more familiar with each other. For this reason, I feel they would have beat Edina's team from last year.
I agree, I think this North team was really special. Two really dangerous forward lines, 4 great defenseman and the best goaltender in the state. I think they would have beaten Edina's team last year.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

The 1993 Jaguars had 5 players who ultimately played in the NHL. I don't see this year's Panther team coming close to that number. But as another reply stated...let's wait 10 or 20 years and see then.
Two minutes for...embellishment (ding!)
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

almostashappy wrote:The 1993 Jaguars had 5 players who ultimately played in the NHL. I don't see this year's Panther team coming close to that number. But as another reply stated...let's wait 10 or 20 years and see then.
It sucks to have to wait, but I agree that sometimes historical perspective is necessary to truly judge how good a team really was... especially when judging an undefeated team.

Again, I hate comparing modern teams to historical teams, but that 1993 Jefferson team is above and beyond any MSHSL team since when viewed as a collection of talent. There may have been some before that were deeper from top to bottom. Didn't Mariucci, Brimsek, Suomi, and Papike all play on the same team? That would have been a much smaller roster, so the concentration of talent may have been higher. The Ikola, Mayasich, and Matchefts team would have been right there too.
grandmeadowhockeyfan

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan »

Once I tried to do the same thing. I wanted to know the same thing. Got destroyed for it.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

almostashappy wrote:
The 1993 Jaguars had 5 players who ultimately played in the NHL. I don't see this year's Panther team coming close to that number. But as another reply stated...let's wait 10 or 20 years and see then.
I only count 2 on that team that played in the NHL. Mark Parrish (who was a soph) and Mike Crowley (who was a junior).

Dan Trebil who did play in the show, graduated in 1992. Ben Clymer graduated in 1996 (and played Bantam A that year). Nick Checco who was Mr. Hockey that year never played beyond the AHL. Josh Dewolf never made it past the AHL, and Toby Peterson was only an 8th grader playing Bantam A as well..
cigar

Post by cigar »

it doesn't matter how many played or will play in the nhl to determine the greatness of the high school team…

the jefferson teams were by far the best team i have seen…

they typically would possess the puck 65-75% of the game…

the teamwork and passing were nothing short of brilliant.

i think the opponents averaged less than 10 shots on goal a game… and of those 10 shots it might have had 2-3 good scoring opportunities at best…

i think they would have beaten any of the mentioned teams by 3.
team22tank

Post by team22tank »

Does anyone know where Edquist is going to play next year?
Karma 29

Post by Karma 29 »

team22tank wrote:Does anyone know where Edquist is going to play next year?
Lakeville South had a young team this year and could likely be the better of the two next year. Wouldn't that be something. Lol
team22tank

Post by team22tank »

Karma 29 wrote:
Lakeville South had a young team this year and could likely be the better of the two next year. Wouldn't that be something. Lol
:lol: Sats81 isn't going to like that comment!

Was Edquist a South kid or North growing up?
team22tank

Post by team22tank »

Karma 29 wrote:

Karma 29

Post by Karma 29 »

team22tank wrote:
Karma 29 wrote:

Lived in South.
team22tank

Post by team22tank »

Karma 29 wrote:
team22tank wrote:
Karma 29 wrote: Lakeville South had a young team this year and could likely be the better of the two next year. Wouldn't that be something. Lol

Lived in South.
Could anyone list the players that didn't play for North growing up? Enebak was South correct?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Karma 29 wrote:
Pretty doubtful actually. Swaney their best player, (had 4 PTs for Waterloo in USHL last sat night) who would have a legitimate shot at Mr Hockey next yr if he were to stay, will almost certainly leave and play in Waterloo next yr.

The younger players you are referring to (Jack Olsen, Knoepke and Ess) are all likely to get Ann Arbor invites this week. If they made it, you think they are gonna stick around? They will lose at least one of those 3.

To answer your previous question, as of right now, edquist will be playing for LN next yr.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

team22tank wrote:
Karma 29 wrote:
team22tank wrote: :lol: Sats81 isn't going to like that comment!

Lived in South.
Could anyone list the players that didn't play for North growing up? Enebak was South correct?
Mcneely and Altavilla. Mcneely came to north in 8th grade. Altys dad is a JV coach at LN. Bobby didn't want him playing over at south after the garbage his middle son dealt with over in cougar land.
Last edited by Sats81 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
team22tank

Post by team22tank »

Sats81 wrote:
Karma 29 wrote:
Pretty doubtful actually. Swaney their best player, (had 4 PTs for Waterloo in USHL last sat night) who would have a legitimate shot at Mr Hockey next yr if he were to stay, will almost certainly leave and play in Waterloo next yr.

The younger players you are referring to (Jack Olsen, Knoepke and Ess) are all likely to get Ann Arbor invites this week. If they made it, you think they are gonna stick around? They will lose at least one of those 3.

To answer your previous question, as of right now, edquist will be playing for LN next yr.
Can we bet on that? :D
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

team22tank wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
Karma 29 wrote: Lakeville South had a young team this year and could likely be the better of the two next year. Wouldn't that be something. Lol

Sure.
Bluelightspecial

Post by Bluelightspecial »

Sats81 wrote:
team22tank wrote:
Sats81 wrote: Pretty doubtful actually. Swaney their best player, (had 4 PTs for Waterloo in USHL last sat night) who would have a legitimate shot at Mr Hockey next yr if he were to stay, will almost certainly leave and play in Waterloo next yr.

Sure.
Will you pay if you lose? Lol! Great weekend, tell the boys congrats!
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Bluelightspecial wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
team22tank wrote: Can we bet on that? :D
Sure.
Will you pay if you lose? Lol! Great weekend, tell the boys congrats!
Of course. Thanks.