100 Career point club

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

nosoupforyou

100 Career point club

Post by nosoupforyou »

Congrats to Mahtomedi's Jack Becker (63G, 67A) and Kellen Campbell (42G, 65A). Not only did they lead their team to a Class A 3rd place finish and a school record for wins in a season (26), they both cracked the 100 point mark for their varsity careers during the season.

A couple of other Zephyr Juniors with a chance to hit that threshold next year include Joe Forciea (26G, 34A) and Jack Heinsch (26G, 24A).

Who else crossed that milestone this year?
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Jaxon Nelson beat the career 100 point mark before Christmas of this year, as a Freshman. Pretty Impressive.

Chaz Smedsrud had 102 points this season alone, bringing his career total to 248.

Ill check the list later and let you know. I know Sam Wenner had 102 points this season also.

Guessing Kobe Roth is there. I'll update it later.
HSPuckFan

Post by HSPuckFan »

nosoup are you from Mahtomedi?
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

White Bear Lake senior Tom Giller finished his career with 129 points. 43 goals and 86 assists.
YearbookWontClose

Post by YearbookWontClose »

notTONIGHT wrote:Jaxon Nelson beat the career 100 point mark before Christmas of this year, as a Freshman. Pretty Impressive.

Chaz Smedsrud had 102 points this season alone, bringing his career total to 248.

Ill check the list later and let you know. I know Sam Wenner had 102 points this season also.

I could definitely see Nelson possibly breaking Hanowski's record if he stays at Luverne for the rest of his high school career. I'm sure this is already being said in the 3A board but I try to steer clear of that thread. Too many comments to keep track of.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

YearbookWontClose wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:Jaxon Nelson beat the career 100 point mark before Christmas of this year, as a Freshman. Pretty Impressive.

I could definitely see Nelson possibly breaking Hanowski's record if he stays at Luverne for the rest of his high school career. I'm sure this is already being said in the 3A board but I try to steer clear of that thread. Too many comments to keep track of.
I agree with you wholheartedly. Luverne might have 2 players in the top 5 in all time career points in 4 years. How many would have seen that coming? Not me thats for sure. Minnesota Hockey Magazine had the all-time list and Chaz was I think 17th after this year, his Junior year.

Granted alot of things could happen, but if they stay in school, Luverne will have some prolific scorers in the record books of the State of Hockey.
nosoupforyou

Post by nosoupforyou »

Both fine players to be sure and would invariably have reached well over 100 plus career points regardless of where they went to school. Kudos to them for taking advantage of the schedule they have been given to play and ample playing time they are provided even with their team winning by 8, 9, plus goals over their opponents.

However, I would offer that if they played the schedule of an average metro or Duluth-based team, they would have 40-50% fewer points. I hope they both go far after high school and represent MN hockey well, but the huge point totals don't do much for me.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

nosoupforyou wrote:Both fine players to be sure and would invariably have reached well over 100 plus career points regardless of where they went to school. Kudos to them for taking advantage of the schedule they have been given to play and ample playing time they are provided even with their team winning by 8, 9, plus goals over their opponents.

However, I would offer that if they played the schedule of an average metro or Duluth-based team, they would have 40-50% fewer points. I hope they both go far after high school and represent MN hockey well, but the huge point totals don't do much for me.
Then why didnt you title your thread "100 career point club for kids who play in duluth or the metro, which are the only areas I have deemed as worthy in the state of hockey"?
Bluelightspecial

Post by Bluelightspecial »

nosoupforyou wrote:Both fine players to be sure and would invariably have reached well over 100 plus career points regardless of where they went to school. Kudos to them for taking advantage of the schedule they have been given to play and ample playing time they are provided even with their team winning by 8, 9, plus goals over their opponents.

Well said!
Mnhockeys

Post by Mnhockeys »

Bluelightspecial wrote:

Well said!
Actually, how many points did they have against the metro team vs. against the team of their own league?

Have heard from a mind of mn hockey last year that a good metro bantam AA team could give a good game to those high school varsity team. Was she/he way off base?
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Mnhockeys wrote:
Bluelightspecial wrote:

Well said!
Actually, how many points did they have against the metro team vs. against the team of their own league?

Have heard from a mind of mn hockey last year that a good metro bantam AA team could give a good game to those high school varsity team. Was she/he way off base?

This was against a well respected team right?? . People call for them to move up to AA every year. They combined for 11 points in this game. IF they would have played teams like this every week they would of had even more points.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCn9I6uxl80
Bluelightspecial

Post by Bluelightspecial »

notTONIGHT wrote:
Mnhockeys wrote:
Bluelightspecial wrote: Well said!
Actually, how many points did they have against the metro team vs. against
the team of their own league?

This was against a well respected team right?? . People call for them to move up to AA every year. They combined for 11 points in this game. IF they would have played teams like this every week they would of had even more points.....

Do you have video of the SPA or Kennedy game. I saw the Johnson game!
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Bluelightspecial wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:
Mnhockeys wrote: Actually, how many points did they have against the metro team vs. against
the team of their own league?

Do you have video of the SPA or Kennedy game. I saw the Johnson game!
The Sioux Falls News created that video. They didnt go to the away games in The metro area to create more videos. However if you go to www.mnhockeyhub.com you can find a statistical recap of every game every team played.
hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny »

Gotta agree with nosoup on this one Herb. Those two are highly talented goal scorers without a doubt, but don't get so defensive when people are not impressed with the huge point totals put up in that conference/section. No one is saying they can't play, but on the flip side you can't possibly be thinking guys with 1/3 of the points that play tough teams every game are not as good?? I know the thread name, just maintain perspective.
hockeyguy272

Post by hockeyguy272 »

notTONIGHT wrote:
Mnhockeys wrote:
Bluelightspecial wrote: Well said!

C'mon man... Totino Grace lost in the section quarter finals 5-2 against South St. Paul, and struggled all year...while it is impressive to put up those numbers, you can't consider it to be proof those two can produce big against good metro teams.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

hockeyguy272 wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:
Mnhockeys wrote: Actually, how many points did they have against the metro team vs. against the team of their own league?

C'mon man... Totino Grace lost in the section quarter finals 5-2 against South St. Paul, and struggled all year...while it is impressive to put up those numbers, you can't consider it to be proof those two can produce big against good metro teams.
I didn't say totino was great this year, I said they were a well respected team in the metro area. No, I don't think their point totals would be the same if they played in the metro. However, they currently are producing double or closer to 3 times what top metro kids produce. What else should they do?
hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny »

Nothing? I guess I am missing your point. No one is arguing that they are good players, just pointing out that the 100 point mark inherently comes with some need to look at level of competition. Still a nice accomplishment but not as big as lesser numbers put up against tougher opponents.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

hawkenjonny wrote:Nothing? I guess I am missing your point. No one is arguing that they are good players, just pointing out that the 100 point mark inherently comes with some need to look at level of competition. Still a nice accomplishment but not as big as lesser numbers put up against tougher opponents.
So maybe equivalent to the 150 point club, or 175 point club? What are you thinking?
Karma 29

Post by Karma 29 »

notTONIGHT wrote:
hawkenjonny wrote:Nothing? I guess I am missing your point. No one is arguing that they are good players, just pointing out that the 100 point mark inherently comes with some need to look at level of competition. Still a nice accomplishment but not as big as lesser numbers put up against tougher opponents.
So maybe equivalent to the 150 point club, or 175 point club? What are you thinking?
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Karma 29 wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:

So to put this all together 300 points equates to 100 points in areas such as the metro and Duluth, is that what im gathering?

What about Rochester or The section 8 region? How about section 6a?
hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny »

I'm thinking that I am beating a dead horse. 100+ for one player just doesn't necessarily = 100+ for another but hats off. Excited to watch them next year and hope they can figure out whatever happened this year teamwise and get back to St. Paul.
Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 »

hawkenjonny wrote:I'm thinking that I am beating a dead horse. 100+ for one player just doesn't necessarily = 100+ for another but hats off. Excited to watch them next year and hope they can figure out whatever happened this year teamwise and get back to St. Paul.
Great post! Who cares about the dam points in the end it's about wins and losses period! Figure it out as a team and the only goal should be getting back to the X!

I could really care less about who scores etc. Put the puck in the net for the team!
Develop kids so that they want to play and quit worrying about all the other sideshows that they had this year! Just for the record if 22 is a top six d in Minnesota the hockey is going backwards just some food for thought boys!!! Bring on the haters!
hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny »

Whiner, aren't these your guys? If so, then maybe your post speaks volumes as to the underlying issues you ran into this year. Wasn't lack of talent. Only saw 2 Luverne games, but it was obvious to me and the guys I watched with that you have some flash but also some under appreciated (maybe their families are just not as vocal) guys like the third guy on line one and #22 partner that actually played defense. If your players are adding up their own points and reading their press then you need to find some team on that team.
Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 »

hawkenjonny wrote:Whiner, aren't these your guys? If so, then maybe your post speaks volumes as to the underlying issues you ran into this year. Wasn't lack of talent. Only saw 2 Luverne games, but it was obvious to me and the guys I watched with that you have some flash but also some under appreciated (maybe their families are just not as vocal) guys like the third guy on line one and #22 partner that actually played defense. If your players are adding up their own points and reading their press then you need to find some team on that team.
That's my point... I could care less about points!
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Whiner33 wrote:
hawkenjonny wrote:Whiner, aren't these your guys? If so, then maybe your post speaks volumes as to the underlying issues you ran into this year. Wasn't lack of talent. Only saw 2 Luverne games, but it was obvious to me and the guys I watched with that you have some flash but also some under appreciated (maybe their families are just not as vocal) guys like the third guy on line one and #22 partner that actually played defense. If your players are adding up their own points and reading their press then you need to find some team on that team.
That's my point... I could care less about points!
I watched all the games and the two I mentioned didnt seem concerned one bit about points. Very unselfish.