U18s mens national roster question

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Tron

U18s mens national roster question

Post by Tron »

Why isn't there more Minnesotan's on this roster, I just see one backup goalie listed. I'm not sure what the selection process is but I would imagine there was top talent here in MN missed... Can someone explain how USA Hockey works?
http://u18mensworlds.usahockey.com/news ... _id=821369
green4

Post by green4 »

If you look at what team the kids on this roster play for your question can probably be answered. Only one kid not from the NTDP and since not a ton of Minnesota kids play there that might be why they seem to be lacking from the team.
It seems interesting to me to have a team full of NTDP kids play the best of other countries in a tournament when the NTDP is not even .500 in the USHL.
The Exiled One

Re: U18s mens national roster question

Post by The Exiled One »

Tron wrote:Why isn't there more Minnesotan's on this roster, I just see one backup goalie listed. I'm not sure what the selection process is but I would imagine there was top talent here in MN missed... Can someone explain how USA Hockey works?
Slow down on the thread creation!!

To answer your question, the U18 team for the IIHF World Championship is typically comprised of NDTP players. There just aren't many Minnesotans in the NTDP at the moment.

Occasionally they'll supplement with U17 NDTP players and others from outside the program.They have a goalie from the WHL. Boeser would obviously have been a strong addition (and Waterloo is out of the playoffs), but I guess the coaches are happy with the roster they have.
JSR

Post by JSR »

green4 wrote:If you look at what team the kids on this roster play for your question can probably be answered. Only one kid not from the NTDP and since not a ton of Minnesota kids play there that might be why they seem to be lacking from the team.
It seems interesting to me to have a team full of NTDP kids play the best of other countries in a tournament when the NTDP is not even .500 in the USHL.
Ummm,not sure where you get your information but you couldn't be more wrong. I think you misinterpreted the USHL standings, those standings on the USHL website include BOTH the results of both the U17 and the U18 team, the record on the USHL website looks like it is just shy of sub .500 because of the U17's record. The U18's record on their own in the USHL is actually 21-6, not even close to .500, in fact percentage wise its the best win percentage in the USHL.. Their overall record is 41-11-2. The USNTDP U18s this year have been touted as the best there has ever been since the creation of the program. And let's remember the USHL is an incredibly good league of mostly 19 to 20 year old men, while the U18 team is made up of 17 and 18 year olds. Also lets get another perspective. The U18 team this season has beaten Miami (of OH) University, tied Frozen Four participant Providence, lost a close game to Boston University, they beat the University of Minnesota Gophers, they beat D3 National title runner up Stevens Point, they tied Colorado College, beat UofA-Huntsville twice, beat Wisconsin, lost a close one to Michigan, and played well against a few other D1 and D3 programs as well, just don't want to list them all, that is a heck of a record against some major college programs... point being this a team of kids who the majority, if not all, are trying to get scholarships to these Universities and the irony is they are a team that is actually beating these universities they are so good this year. I am guessing you had misinformation or something because this years U18 USNTDP team is phenomenal, and that is pretty much who will be making up this roster and going to that tournament.
Tron

Post by Tron »

The Exiled One wrote:
Tron wrote:Why isn't there more Minnesotan's on this roster, I just see one backup goalie listed. I'm not sure what the selection process is but I would imagine there was top talent here in MN missed... Can someone explain how USA Hockey works?
Really guy? Two threads in months and I barely ever create threads as it is.. Am I spamming the board with two threads both relevant to MNHH? Because of my job (you know, fighting Master Control Program) I am in and out of this forum. Don't have a heart attack because I created two threads.
Tron

Post by Tron »

JSR wrote:
Ummm,not sure where you get your information but you couldn't be more wrong. I think you misinterpreted the USHL standings, those standings on the USHL website include BOTH the results of both the U17 and the U18 team, the record on the USHL website looks like it is just shy of sub .500 because of the U17's record. The U18's record on their own in the USHL is actually 21-6, not even close to .500, in fact percentage wise its the best win percentage in the USHL.. Their overall record is 41-11-2. The USNTDP U18s this year have been touted as the best there has ever been since the creation of the program. And let's remember the USHL is an incredibly good league of mostly 19 to 20 year old men, while the U18 team is made up of 17 and 18 year olds. Also lets get another perspective. The U18 team this season has beaten Miami (of OH) University, tied Frozen Four participant Providence, lost a close game to Boston University, they beat the University of Minnesota Gophers, they beat D3 National title runner up Stevens Point, they tied Colorado College, beat UofA-Huntsville twice, beat Wisconsin, lost a close one to Michigan, and played well against a few other D1 and D3 programs as well, just don't want to list them all, that is a heck of a record against some major college programs... point being this a team of kids who the majority, if not all, are trying to get scholarships to these Universities and the irony is they are a team that is actually beating these universities they are so good this year. I am guessing you had misinformation or something because this years U18 USNTDP team is phenomenal, and that is pretty much who will be making up this roster and going to that tournament.
Maybe you can clarify for this NTDP novice but has the NT program been comprised mostly of a mixed bag of kids even though some birth years are very strong for MN kids? Do they shy away from MN Kids or do MN Kids shy away because of MSHSHL and other leagues?
green4

Post by green4 »

JSR wrote:
green4 wrote:If you look at what team the kids on this roster play for your question can probably be answered. Only one kid not from the NTDP and since not a ton of Minnesota kids play there that might be why they seem to be lacking from the team.
Regardless, if you want the best team of Americans you would think about including kids such as Kyle Conner and Boeser instead of some of the lower end players on the U-18 team or even the kids on the u-17 that made it
JSR

Post by JSR »

green4 wrote:
JSR wrote:
Regardless, if you want the best team of Americans you would think about including kids such as Kyle Conner and Boeser instead of some of the lower end players on the U-18 team or even the kids on the u-17 that made it
I don't disagree that the talent of either of those kids is fantastic and probably even better than some of the kids on the roster. However, those two also have not been playing in the same system and developing chemistry and system understanding for 6+ months and 50+ games like all the rest of the players have. Boeser might be a better talent than some of them but it doesn't mean he'd fit in right away and help them win on such short notice. Remember it's not about taking the best players its about taking the right players :wink:
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Tron wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:
Really guy? Two threads in months and I barely ever create threads as it is.. Am I spamming the board with two threads both relevant to MNHH? Because of my job (you know, fighting Master Control Program) I am in and out of this forum. Don't have a heart attack because I created two threads.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
Coachk

Post by Coachk »

I know its hard to believe, but people play hockey in places besides Minnesota. Its possible that these players were just better.
Lucia4President

Post by Lucia4President »

Has anyone considered that maybe Boeser, Novak, MN high school kids, Hanifin, Werenski, etc declined an invite or couldn't go to the tournament?

Didn't Boeser and Novak both say no to the Ann Arbor program when offered a spot on the U17 Team a couple years ago?
HOUNDS
green4

Post by green4 »

JSR wrote:
green4 wrote:
JSR wrote: Ummm,not sure where you get your information but you couldn't be more wrong. I think you misinterpreted the USHL standings, those standings on the USHL website include BOTH the results of both the U17 and the U18 team, the record on the USHL website looks like it is just shy of sub .500 because of the U17's record. The U18's record on their own in the USHL is actually 21-6, not even close to .500, in fact percentage wise its the best win percentage in the USHL.. Their overall record is 41-11-2. The USNTDP U18s this year have been touted as the best there has ever been since the creation of the program. And let's remember the USHL is an incredibly good league of mostly 19 to 20 year old men, while the U18 team is made up of 17 and 18 year olds. Also lets get another perspective. The U18 team this season has beaten Miami (of OH) University, tied Frozen Four participant Providence, lost a close game to Boston University, they beat the University of Minnesota Gophers, they beat D3 National title runner up Stevens Point, they tied Colorado College, beat UofA-Huntsville twice, beat Wisconsin, lost a close one to Michigan, and played well against a few other D1 and D3 programs as well, just don't want to list them all, that is a heck of a record against some major college programs... point being this a team of kids who the majority, if not all, are trying to get scholarships to these Universities and the irony is they are a team that is actually beating these universities they are so good this year. I am guessing you had misinformation or something because this years U18 USNTDP team is phenomenal, and that is pretty much who will be making up this roster and going to that tournament.
I don't disagree that the talent of either of those kids is fantastic and probably even better than some of the kids on the roster. However, those two also have not been playing in the same system and developing chemistry and system understanding for 6+ months and 50+ games like all the rest of the players have. Boeser might be a better talent than some of them but it doesn't mean he'd fit in right away and help them win on such short notice. Remember it's not about taking the best players its about taking the right players :wink:
Oh, I agree it is about taking the right players instead of the best players, and it sounds like it has worked out for the NTDP team this year. However, they have been known to assemble the NTDP teams strictly by getting the best players for the age group instead of getting the right kids. So they do seem to be contradicting their own style here
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

Coachk wrote:
I know its hard to believe, but people play hockey in places besides Minnesota. Its possible that these players were just better.
Nope.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
JSR

Post by JSR »

green4 wrote:
JSR wrote:
green4 wrote: Regardless, if you want the best team of Americans you would think about including kids such as Kyle Conner and Boeser instead of some of the lower end players on the U-18 team or even the kids on the u-17 that made it
Oh, I agree it is about taking the right players instead of the best players, and it sounds like it has worked out for the NTDP team this year. However, they have been known to assemble the NTDP teams strictly by getting the best players for the age group instead of getting the right kids. So they do seem to be contradicting their own style here
I don't disagree and that has been the case in the past with the program. I do think that has changed for the most part under Granato though. I think that under him they are getting it right more often than not compared to some previous regimes.
JSR

Post by JSR »

Tron wrote:
JSR wrote:
Maybe you can clarify for this NTDP novice but has the NT program been comprised mostly of a mixed bag of kids even though some birth years are very strong for MN kids? Do they shy away from MN Kids or do MN Kids shy away because of MSHSHL and other leagues?
I don't think they shy away from MN kids and if you look at the invite camps MN is really well represented. I cannot say for 100% proof positive but I do think MN kids decline offers more so than any other place in the country. Probably because they do have legitimate options that many other places in the country do not have to continue their hockey career paths.
Tron

Post by Tron »

JSR: Very interesting... kids like Ryan MacDonaugh also opted out of the NT even though a lot of kids would skip their last years in HS for a chance at NTDP.
stromboli

Post by stromboli »

MN well represented going forward with 3 99 commits so far.

NTDP Announces First 10 Commits for 2015-16 Season

04/09/2015, 10:00am EDT

By USA Hockey

Five Forwards & Five Defensemen Among Initial Players to Join NTDP.

ANN ARBOR, Mich. - Forwards Sean Dhooghe (Aurora, Ill.), Grant Mismash (Edina, Minn.), Michael Pastujov (Bradenton, Fla.), Scott Reedy (Prior Lake, Minn.) and Brady Tkachuk (St. Louis, Mo.), along with defensemen David Farrance (Victor, N.Y.), Max Gildon (Plano, Texas), Quinn Hughes (Orlando, Fla.), Nate Knoepke (Farmington, Minn.) and Josh Maniscalco (Perkiomenville, Pa.) will join USA Hockey's National Team Development Program for the 2015-16 season. The players, all from the 1999 birth year, will compete as members of the U.S. National Under-17 Team.

Dhooghe tallied nine goals and added 10 assists in 18 games with the Chicago Mission midget minor program out of the High Performance Hockey League. The forward is committed to Ohio State University.

Mismash netted 21 goals and recorded 25 helpers in 39 games for Shattuck-St. Mary's (Minn.) prep team. The second youngest player on the roster, Mismash's point total ranked third on the squad while he scored the second most goals. He is committed to the University of North Dakota.

Pastujov appeared in five games in an injury-shortened season for the Honeybaked (Mich.) midget minor program of the High Performance Hockey League. The forward is committed to the University of Michigan.

Reedy lit the lamp 23 times and added 32 assists for Shattuck-St. Mary's (Minn.) prep team. A commit to the University of Minnesota, Reedy's 55 total points ranked fifth on the team.

Tkachuk accumulated 43 points (15-28) in 30 games for the St. Louis Blues midget minor program of the Tier I Elite Hockey League. He led the team in points, assists and ranked third in goals scored.

Farrance tallied 27 goals and registered 25 assists for the Syracuse (N.Y.) Jr. Stars midget minor squad out of the United States Premier Hockey League. The future Boston University Terrier led all blue-liners in points (52) and ranked eighth among all skaters in the regular season while adding two scores in three playoff contests. His efforts earned him league MVP and Defensive Player of the Year honors. The defenseman also starred for Victor (N.Y.) High School, totaling 46 points (28-18) in 18 combined regular-season and playoff games.

Gildon patrolled the blue line for the Dallas Stars midget minor team from the Tier I Elite Hockey League. Gildon led all defenseman on the squad and ranked fourth overall with 15 points (7-8) in 24 games played. Of his seven goals, one was on the power play, one shorthanded and two were game-winners.

Hughes was a defenseman on the Toronto Marlboros midget minor team that claimed both the GTHL title and OHL Cup. In 76 games played, Hughes averaged nearly one point-per-game, notching 18 goals and racking up 49 assists. He is committed to the University of Michigan.

Knoepke laced up his skates for Lakeville South High School in Minnesota during the 2014-15 season. The defenseman played in 25 regular-season games, netting three goals and adding seven assists. He also appeared in two playoff games for the Cougars.

Maniscalco skated in 54 contests for the Shattuck-St. Mary's (Minn.) prep team. The blue-liner notched six goals and recorded 15 helpers. He is committed to the University of Minnesota.
Tripod

Post by Tripod »

DrGaf wrote:
Coachk wrote:
Nope.
Who's playing in the NCAA final... ah, two teams from the east. Both beat western teams to get there.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

stromboli wrote:MN well represented going forward with 3 99 commits so far.

By USA Hockey

ANN ARBOR, Mich. - Forwards Sean Dhooghe (Aurora, Ill.), Grant Mismash (Edina, Minn.), Michael Pastujov (Bradenton, Fla.), Scott Reedy (Prior Lake, Minn.) and Brady Tkachuk (St. Louis, Mo.), along with defensemen David Farrance (Victor, N.Y.), Max Gildon (Plano, Texas), Quinn Hughes (Orlando, Fla.), Nate Knoepke (Farmington, Minn.) and Josh Maniscalco (Perkiomenville, Pa.) will join USA Hockey's National Team Development Program for the 2015-16 season. The players, all from the 1999 birth year, will compete as members of the U.S. National Under-17 Team.

Dhooghe tallied nine goals and added 10 assists in 18 games with the Chicago Mission midget minor program out of the High Performance Hockey League. The forward is committed to Ohio State University.

Mismash netted 21 goals and recorded 25 helpers in 39 games for Shattuck-St. Mary's (Minn.) prep team. The second youngest player on the roster, Mismash's point total ranked third on the squad while he scored the second most goals. He is committed to the University of North Dakota.

Pastujov appeared in five games in an injury-shortened season for the Honeybaked (Mich.) midget minor program of the High Performance Hockey League. The forward is committed to the University of Michigan.

Reedy lit the lamp 23 times and added 32 assists for Shattuck-St. Mary's (Minn.) prep team. A commit to the University of Minnesota, Reedy's 55 total points ranked fifth on the team.

Tkachuk accumulated 43 points (15-28) in 30 games for the St. Louis Blues midget minor program of the Tier I Elite Hockey League. He led the team in points, assists and ranked third in goals scored.

Farrance tallied 27 goals and registered 25 assists for the Syracuse (N.Y.) Jr. Stars midget minor squad out of the United States Premier Hockey League. The future Boston University Terrier led all blue-liners in points (52) and ranked eighth among all skaters in the regular season while adding two scores in three playoff contests. His efforts earned him league MVP and Defensive Player of the Year honors. The defenseman also starred for Victor (N.Y.) High School, totaling 46 points (28-18) in 18 combined regular-season and playoff games.

Gildon patrolled the blue line for the Dallas Stars midget minor team from the Tier I Elite Hockey League. Gildon led all defenseman on the squad and ranked fourth overall with 15 points (7-8) in 24 games played. Of his seven goals, one was on the power play, one shorthanded and two were game-winners.

Hughes was a defenseman on the Toronto Marlboros midget minor team that claimed both the GTHL title and OHL Cup. In 76 games played, Hughes averaged nearly one point-per-game, notching 18 goals and racking up 49 assists. He is committed to the University of Michigan.

Knoepke laced up his skates for Lakeville South High School in Minnesota during the 2014-15 season. The defenseman played in 25 regular-season games, netting three goals and adding seven assists. He also appeared in two playoff games for the Cougars.

Maniscalco skated in 54 contests for the Shattuck-St. Mary's (Minn.) prep team. The blue-liner notched six goals and recorded 15 helpers. He is committed to the University of Minnesota.
If Mishmash had 46 points how did his point total rank 3rd on the team when it says Reedy had 55 points and ranked 5th on the team?
green4

Post by green4 »

Sats81 wrote:

By USA Hockey

If Mishmash had 46 points how did his point total rank 3rd on the team when it says Reedy had 55 points and ranked 5th on the team?
If you look at Shattuck's website Mismash's point total is 62. 31 goals and assists.
http://ssmathletics.org/sports/hockey/b ... 4-15/Stats
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

green4 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:

By USA Hockey

If you look at Shattuck's website Mismash's point total is 62. 31 goals and assists.
http://ssmathletics.org/sports/hockey/b ... 4-15/Stats
Thanks
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

Tripod wrote:
DrGaf wrote:
Coachk wrote: I know its hard to believe, but people play hockey in places besides Minnesota. Its possible that these players were just better.
Nope.
Who's playing in the NCAA final... ah, two teams from the east. Both beat western teams to get there.
Nope.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
JSR

Post by JSR »

green4 wrote:
JSR wrote:
green4 wrote: Regardless, if you want the best team of Americans you would think about including kids such as Kyle Conner and Boeser instead of some of the lower end players on the U-18 team or even the kids on the u-17 that made it
Well I guess you can't argue that the team they took was a good team. Probably still would've been good with the likes of Boeser etc... but can't argue with the results...
http://u18worlds2015.iihf.com/en/news/e ... l-usa_fin/
JSR

Post by JSR »

green4 wrote:
JSR wrote:
Well I guess you can't argue that the team they took was a good team. Probably still would've been good with the likes of Boeser etc... but can't argue with the results...
green4

Post by green4 »

JSR wrote:
green4 wrote:
JSR wrote: I don't disagree that the talent of either of those kids is fantastic and probably even better than some of the kids on the roster. However, those two also have not been playing in the same system and developing chemistry and system understanding for 6+ months and 50+ games like all the rest of the players have. Boeser might be a better talent than some of them but it doesn't mean he'd fit in right away and help them win on such short notice. Remember it's not about taking the best players its about taking the right players :wink:
Should have beat the Russians!

I can always argue with the results