HP

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

4on5again

HP

Post by 4on5again » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:10 am

HP's hit the ice in their festival this weekend. Wouldn't it make sense that they would rid the players of their helmet stickers and obvious affiliations? Even associations have requested that during their tryouts. I'm not calling foul, but why would they not take that simple step?

DrGaf

Re: HP

Post by DrGaf » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:12 am

**Delete
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.

Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:06 am

Don't think it would really matter. They have a roster for each team with names and team affiliations at their disposal. My oldest boy made the summer camp a couple years ago out of nowhere really, so I believe they truly do take a look at everyone. If a kid plays well and distinguishes himself, he will do fine.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Re: HP

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:16 am

4on5again wrote:HP's hit the ice in their festival this weekend. Wouldn't it make sense that they would rid the players of their helmet stickers and obvious affiliations? Even associations have requested that during their tryouts. I'm not calling foul, but why would they not take that simple step?
Not just their association or AAA teams. They have their stats, their awards, their previous HP participation, their print and televised media, their gpa and school activities and awards, and their last names. There are 50 things the evaluators are looking at aside from glove, breezer, pad colors and only one of them is how the boys play this particular weekend. Having said that, it's great hockey. Tell your kid to play confidently and have fun. But before the camp roster comes out, make sure he knows it has very little bearing on where he can go in the sport.
P.S. Most associations bring in neutral and non-parent judges. Not often the case here.

4on5again

Post by 4on5again » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:48 am

Thanks for the input. Just thought the stickers and breezer covers might be a distraction. No doubt, the hockey is good, and they are pushing each other.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:46 pm

4on5again wrote:Thanks for the input. Just thought the stickers and breezer covers might be a distraction. No doubt, the hockey is good, and they are pushing each other.
Both Justin Kloos and Blake Wheeler didn't make 15's when they were that age. It is NOT the END if they don't make it.

4on5again

Post by 4on5again » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:56 pm

Overall, the HP spring festival was what they advertised it to be. The hockey was fast, the refs were good, and they ran a smooth tourney. The players should have gotten their chance to show their abilities and the atmosphere was fair. Credit goes to USA/MN Hockey for running a serious event, and doing it well.

Mnhockeys

Post by Mnhockeys » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:15 pm

Surprised ... Aren't there no interesting discussion on the fantastic HP program?

Looks like the recipe of getting through the hp program is the following, young parents pay attention,

- skating on the coach's team who would likely be the district hp coaches, and taking as many clinics from him.

- if you do not know who will be the coach in a few years, just skate as many clinics and on many teams that you can find. Your chance of striking gold will increase.

- start early to get on a team going all over us and canada. The more you skate, the more people will know you and respect you. People will know you from which teams you play on, no one cares how many goals or assists you had, 0 would not hurt you.

- quit soccer, baseball or lax if your kid ever played anything other than hockey. Any promotion of multi-sports by mnh is nuisance. In fact the whole HP schedule is forbidding one to participate in baseball, lax, football, choir, dance, debate, basketball, golf, trap-shooting, mountain biking, skiing, cross-country, track-field, and cheerleading.

Go Wilds!

barry_mcconnell

Post by barry_mcconnell » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:19 am

The selection process is a bit of a joke but no one makes you do it. There are a ton of great players that choose to skip it altogether.

There's no need to be hating. Choose whatever is best for your kid. Or let him/her choose.

Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:51 pm

Mnhockeys wrote:Surprised ... Aren't there no interesting discussion on the fantastic HP program?

Looks like the recipe of getting through the hp program is the following, young parents pay attention,

- skating on the coach's team who would likely be the district hp coaches, and taking as many clinics from him.

- if you do not know who will be the coach in a few years, just skate as many clinics and on many teams that you can find. Your chance of striking gold will increase.

- start early to get on a team going all over us and canada. The more you skate, the more people will know you and respect you. People will know you from which teams you play on, no one cares how many goals or assists you had, 0 would not hurt you.

- quit soccer, baseball or lax if your kid ever played anything other than hockey. Any promotion of multi-sports by mnh is nuisance. In fact the whole HP schedule is forbidding one to participate in baseball, lax, football, choir, dance, debate, basketball, golf, trap-shooting, mountain biking, skiing, cross-country, track-field, and cheerleading.

Go Wilds!
Who Cares? It's Baseball Season. Isn't August to May enough? Anyone in a Hockey Rink in June or July in Minnesota deserves whatever they have coming.

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:14 pm

Froggy Richards wrote:
Mnhockeys wrote:Surprised ... Aren't there no interesting discussion on the fantastic HP program?

Go Wilds!
Who Cares? It's Baseball Season. Isn't August to May enough? Anyone in a Hockey Rink in June or July in Minnesota deserves whatever they have coming.
So my kids shouldn't attend STP during the day run by the High School Coach? Baseball is boring and while all my kids played it, none wanted to play after one season.

Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:34 pm

MWS coach wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:

Go Wilds!
So my kids shouldn't attend STP during the day run by the High School Coach? Baseball is boring and while all my kids played it, none wanted to play after one season.
It's only boring if you don't understand the game. It's not for everybody. Some kids just don't have the focus that is required to learn it.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:01 pm

Froggy Richards wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:

Go Wilds!
It's only boring if you don't understand the game. It's not for everybody. Some kids just don't have the focus that is required to learn it.
Shamone. I played baseball for 8 years growing up. Even then I thought it was boring as sin. That said, it beat not playing a sport in the summertime, and we played at night, after being on the basketball courts all day long.

Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:19 pm

jg2112 wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:

Go Wilds!
Shamone. I played baseball for 8 years growing up. Even then I thought it was boring as sin. That said, it beat not playing a sport in the summertime, and we played at night, after being on the basketball courts all day long.
I totally agree. Like I said, it's definitely not for everyone. Hitting a baseball is the most difficult thing to do in sports. You also have to be very mentally tough. Those two things narrow it down to very few who can succeed at it and develop a passion for it. Those who can absolutely love it. Those who can't find it boring and quit.

4on5again

Post by 4on5again » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:01 pm

St. Cloud camp is quite a week for players fortunate enough to make it. Interesting to see some of the talent out there, and disappointing to see some of the big names not delivering. Embarrassing in some situations. A little surprised that some still advanced to national camp. They must look at the body of work thus far. :wink:

jpiehl

Post by jpiehl » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:54 am

4on5again wrote:St. Cloud camp is quite a week for players fortunate enough to make it. Interesting to see some of the talent out there, and disappointing to see some of the big names not delivering. Embarrassing in some situations. A little surprised that some still advanced to national camp. They must look at the body of work thus far. :wink:
Big names will always make it. Once it is decided that a player is elite at squirts, it is virtually impossible to lose that designation, especially if they have a 'name'. Other evaluators that don't see it don't want to be seen as incompetent so they all go along with it. Would be nice to see a few get knocked off by small association kids, but not ever likely to happen.

4on5again

Post by 4on5again » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:18 pm

It doesn't seem to stop anywhere soon down the line. The early D1 commit wasn't even the best guy on his line, at either festival. You can grow and catch up as a player at 14 and 15, but it takes a lot to dethrown the guys who have been the big talk since 10 years old. Appears that the early commits are trying to hold on best they can. I would have loved to stand next to his "future" coach at the last two festivals.

Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:12 am

Froggy Richards wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:

Go Wilds!
I totally agree. Like I said, it's definitely not for everyone. Hitting a baseball is the most difficult thing to do in sports. You also have to be very mentally tough. Those two things narrow it down to very few who can succeed at it and develop a passion for it. Those who can absolutely love it. Those who can't find it boring and quit.
I must have been an anomaly. Of the 3 sports I played in HS, my least favorite was baseball but that is what I was really good at. I played four years of D1 ball. I loved basketball but there really isn't much future for a 6' 1/2" center LOL. The thing about baseball is that it is really longer than any other HS sport when you add in summer Legion/VFW/town ball. My son started soon after hockey season in mid March. He will play into August. So don't go spouting about how long hockey goes. Baseball is just as bad if not worse.

Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:26 am

Mite-dad wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:

Go Wilds!
I must have been an anomaly. Of the 3 sports I played in HS, my least favorite was baseball but that is what I was really good at. I played four years of D1 ball. I loved basketball but there really isn't much future for a 6' 1/2" center LOL. The thing about baseball is that it is really longer than any other HS sport when you add in summer Legion/VFW/town ball. My son started soon after hockey season in mid March. He will play into August. So don't go spouting about how long hockey goes. Baseball is just as bad if not worse.
We're in the Youth forum, not High School. By the time kids are 16 there isn't much concern for how much they are playing a sport.

Youth Hockey goes from August to May for most. It goes from August to July for many. Youth Baseball goes from late April, (If you're lucky) to the end of July. Not even close.

Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:27 pm

Froggy Richards wrote:
Mite-dad wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:

Go Wilds!
We're in the Youth forum, not High School. By the time kids are 16 there isn't much concern for how much they are playing a sport.

Youth Hockey goes from August to May for most. It goes from August to July for many. Youth Baseball goes from late April, (If you're lucky) to the end of July. Not even close.
I thought the subject was HP15. Most of these kids have school ball. Ours started in mid-March. Our first games were scheduled around April 1.

observer

Post by observer » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:39 pm

Another five weekends of double headers in fall ball too. I agree serious hockey players train more than almost all baseball players in Minny.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:56 pm

jpiehl wrote:
4on5again wrote:St. Cloud camp is quite a week for players fortunate enough to make it. Interesting to see some of the talent out there, and disappointing to see some of the big names not delivering. Embarrassing in some situations. A little surprised that some still advanced to national camp. They must look at the body of work thus far. :wink:
Big names will always make it. Once it is decided that a player is elite at squirts, it is virtually impossible to lose that designation, especially if they have a 'name'. Other evaluators that don't see it don't want to be seen as incompetent so they all go along with it. Would be nice to see a few get knocked off by small association kids, but not ever likely to happen.
I keep hearing about tons of head shaking from scouts other than the "pickers" this year..

JSR

Post by JSR » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:59 am

Froggy Richards wrote:
Mite-dad wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:

Go Wilds!

Actually most of the "competitive" baseball teams and families I know go from January through August for baseball training, games, practice and tournaments. I don't think there is a youth sport out there that doesn't "offer" this scenario anymore. I am not saying it's good or bad, and I am not saying hockey is better or worse, I am saying they are all in similar boats now a days

greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:15 pm

The campers are also judged off the ice also,how well they behave,follow direction and pay attention. There have been a few in past years that did not stay for the whole camp.

Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:27 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
jpiehl wrote:
I keep hearing about tons of head shaking from scouts other than the "pickers" this year..
As in, it wasn't a quality group of kids this year?