Question

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Nevertoomuchhockey

Question

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:53 pm

This is maybe a stupid question, but can "traditional" MSHSL hockey teams play scrimmages (in conference and/or local) against one another out of season? I assume there would be restrictions on coaching and numbers of games allowed.
Or do they just form a AAA team made up of players from only their jv/varsity programs?
My daughter is doing AAA this summer for the first time, and we seem to be playing a mix of tryout teams with large geographical pull, and other teams 100% comprised of a single school.

goaline

Re: Question

Post by goaline » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:25 am

As long as the HS comprised team is being led by their HS coach within the contact period of June 1st through July 31st they are allowed to participate/ train as much as they like under his/ her direction or a member of the HS staff... These teams at the HS level are not uncommon during this period and often compete against AAA teams in tourneys or scrimmages... HS comprised teams can even participate outside this contact period if they are being led by someone who is not a member of the in-season staff, such as a parent.

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:This is maybe a stupid question, but can "traditional" MSHSL hockey teams play scrimmages (in conference and/or local) against one another out of season? I assume there would be restrictions on coaching and numbers of games allowed.
Or do they just form a AAA team made up of players from only their jv/varsity programs?
My daughter is doing AAA this summer for the first time, and we seem to be playing a mix of tryout teams with large geographical pull, and other teams 100% comprised of a single school.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:18 pm

Thanks for the reply.
What are the rules in regards to summer or fall (pre-season) scrimmages?