Congrats - "Age Up" Day

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:43 pm

and so have the Ice cougars
The website looks like the 02s are playing U12.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:35 pm

massalsa wrote:The 02 Machine is a really nice team. In my opinion they play a great style of hockey that is rarely played at such a young age.

One of my biggest beef's with most of the PW, U12, and summer hockey played on the girls side is shift management and the intensity of the shifts. Machine is VERY good at it. 30 seconds of intensity. Lots of pressure defensively and puck movement on offense creates a lot of scoring chances. Late in periods and games the 4 lines of F and 3 lines of D are still fresh while the #1 line on the other team are tired from longer shifts and the 2nd/3rd lines are both tired and overmatched. That = blowout victories + not adding to the lead of 8+ goals in the 3rd.

Regarding the supposed upcoming matchup between the 01 Os Select team vs the 02 Machine I predict a solid 3-5 goal victory by the 01's. I believe the 02's will not score more than 2 goals. If the 02's could use the Hot Tub Time Machine and play them at the same age I think that it would be a nail biter that the Os team would win due to their Goalie who is super solid.

I believe the majority (if not all but a 1-3) of the 01's are going into 9th grade this year and I believe that a lot of the 02's are going into 8th grade. The team that has more incoming 8th grade 01's might be the Ice Cougars. Both Os and Machine are deeper and play a shorter shifting, intensity based hockey that eventually overwhelms the Cougars. An interesting matchup that I do not believe has happened yet is the 01/02 Os team and the Cougars. I believe that would be a game full of kids going into 8th grade next year.

Might happen at the OS Shootout or the Caribou Cup...

You bring up an interesting hypothetical topic. If we had a HOT TUB TIME MACHINE, who would be the best girls team AAA team in the state?

01 OS
O2 Machine
01/02 OS
01 Ice Cougars
03 MN Selects (or whatever they are called)
02 Blades
01 Blades
Skate to Excellence U14
01 Miracle Gold
who else?

lets stick with U12 and U14 teams to make it easier

Kind of like a pound for pound best fighter?

Lets make them all 9th graders getting out of the time machine.

Who wins?
why?

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:07 am

Mavs wrote:
massalsa wrote:The 02 Machine is a really nice team. In my opinion they play a great style of hockey that is rarely played at such a young age.

One of my biggest beef's with most of the PW, U12, and summer hockey played on the girls side is shift management and the intensity of the shifts. Machine is VERY good at it. 30 seconds of intensity. Lots of pressure defensively and puck movement on offense creates a lot of scoring chances. Late in periods and games the 4 lines of F and 3 lines of D are still fresh while the #1 line on the other team are tired from longer shifts and the 2nd/3rd lines are both tired and overmatched. That = blowout victories + not adding to the lead of 8+ goals in the 3rd.

Regarding the supposed upcoming matchup between the 01 Os Select team vs the 02 Machine I predict a solid 3-5 goal victory by the 01's. I believe the 02's will not score more than 2 goals. If the 02's could use the Hot Tub Time Machine and play them at the same age I think that it would be a nail biter that the Os team would win due to their Goalie who is super solid.

I believe the majority (if not all but a 1-3) of the 01's are going into 9th grade this year and I believe that a lot of the 02's are going into 8th grade. The team that has more incoming 8th grade 01's might be the Ice Cougars. Both Os and Machine are deeper and play a shorter shifting, intensity based hockey that eventually overwhelms the Cougars. An interesting matchup that I do not believe has happened yet is the 01/02 Os team and the Cougars. I believe that would be a game full of kids going into 8th grade next year.

Might happen at the OS Shootout or the Caribou Cup...

You bring up an interesting hypothetical topic. If we had a HOT TUB TIME MACHINE, who would be the best girls team AAA team in the state?

01 OS
O2 Machine
01/02 OS
01 Ice Cougars
03 MN Selects (or whatever they are called)
02 Blades
01 Blades
Skate to Excellence U14
01 Miracle Gold
who else?

lets stick with U12 and U14 teams to make it easier

Kind of like a pound for pound best fighter?

Lets make them all 9th graders getting out of the time machine.

Who wins?
why?
Hard to say 01 OS bigger stronger than 01-02 both have the best goaltending. Last year 01 beat 01-02 by a goal but were out shot something like 4-1. 02/03 os again superior goaltending a lot of their kids play on the 03 selects so hard to say who is better same goes with MG and Machine 03. Ice cougars weak in goal coach shortens bench early in tournaments so during important games players are spent. 02 blades are very mediocre. 02 machine great talent weak in the net really struggle in close games easily frustrated. Haven't seen 01 blades they used to be creme of the crop have lost some kids to OS. Saw u-14 skate to excellence kinda like 02 machine struggle in close games. The best system teams are STE and Machine. The most creative are the OS teams. Creativity and goaltending beat system every time
1. 01 OS
2. 01/02 OS
3. 02 machine
4.02/03 OS
5. STE
6. Ice Cougars

HockeyDude20

Post by HockeyDude20 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:47 pm

I enjoy reading all of the posts. I wanted to present some facts primarily for the benefit of zambonidriver. Full Disclusure: My daughter plays for the 02 Machine Orange team.

1. As pointed out, most recently by Mavs, 01 girls ARE NOT eligible to play 12U this summer no matter how insistent zambonidriver is that they are.

2. Machine has played in fifteen 2 goal games. We have lost only 3 of them. This contradicts zambonidriver's assertion that they do not perform well under pressure in close games.

3. Machine overall record currently sits at 20-3-4. One loss was 4-3 to a team made up of girls going into 10th and 11th grade from Wayzata and BSM. One girl I recognized was Grace Peluso from BSM. The difference being a penalty shot. One loss was to zambonidriver's daguhter's 01/02 Os team, 3-1. Side note: We did not have the top half of our roster there. Another side note: we beat them 4-2 when we did have our full roster there and their only goals were on penalty shots. One loss was in OT of the NAPS/Rochester tourney. We beat that same team in pool play in OT. The team is made up of girls from the top two Tier 1 teams in Canada this past season.

http://myhockeyrankings.com/rank.php?y=2014&a=b&v=2012

4. We have played the 01/02 Ice Cougars twice and beat them 3-1 both times.

5. We roster 29 girls including goalies. 12 of them are born after July 1st and are eligible to play 12U for their association next season. One of them is a back half 03 birthday.

6. We will be playing 14U at the International Cup. We will be playing 16U at the Os Shootout. We will be playing 16U because Winny invited us to play at that level. We might be in over our heads. If we had declined she then would have invited her 01/02 team.

7. We played the 01 Os team in the Os Spring League. The score was 2-2

8. zambonidrivers daughter is a heckuva goalie. Arguably the best 02 in the state. I have seen her play countless times.

There are many very good girls AAA teams. 00 Machine Orange. 01 Os. 01/02 Os. 01 Ice Cougars. Who knows who the best one is, pound for pound. Maybe zambonidriver has a Zamboni Time Machine we could use to find out.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:36 am

HockeyDude20 wrote:I enjoy reading all of the posts. I wanted to present some facts primarily for the benefit of zambonidriver. Full Disclusure: My daughter plays for the 02 Machine Orange team.

1. As pointed out, most recently by Mavs, 01 girls ARE NOT eligible to play 12U this summer no matter how insistent zambonidriver is that they are.

2. Machine has played in fifteen 2 goal games. We have lost only 3 of them. This contradicts zambonidriver's assertion that they do not perform well under pressure in close games.

3. Machine overall record currently sits at 20-3-4. One loss was 4-3 to a team made up of girls going into 10th and 11th grade from Wayzata and BSM. One girl I recognized was Grace Peluso from BSM. The difference being a penalty shot. One loss was to zambonidriver's daguhter's 01/02 Os team, 3-1. Side note: We did not have the top half of our roster there. Another side note: we beat them 4-2 when we did have our full roster there and their only goals were on penalty shots. One loss was in OT of the NAPS/Rochester tourney. We beat that same team in pool play in OT. The team is made up of girls from the top two Tier 1 teams in Canada this past season.

http://myhockeyrankings.com/rank.php?y=2014&a=b&v=2012

4. We have played the 01/02 Ice Cougars twice and beat them 3-1 both times.

5. We roster 29 girls including goalies. 12 of them are born after July 1st and are eligible to play 12U for their association next season. One of them is a back half 03 birthday.

6. We will be playing 14U at the International Cup. We will be playing 16U at the Os Shootout. We will be playing 16U because Winny invited us to play at that level. We might be in over our heads. If we had declined she then would have invited her 01/02 team.

7. We played the 01 Os team in the Os Spring League. The score was 2-2

8. zambonidrivers daughter is a heckuva goalie. Arguably the best 02 in the state. I have seen her play countless times.

There are many very good girls AAA teams. 00 Machine Orange. 01 Os. 01/02 Os. 01 Ice Cougars. Who knows who the best one is, pound for pound. Maybe zambonidriver has a Zamboni Time Machine we could use to find out.
Ah finally a machine orange parent. Let's address some of these points. Spring league you make a great point. you played with your lower end kids in your loss. Do you think either OS team had all of their upper end kids for any game at all during spring league or tournaments? Your team is 7th graders correct? And are going to play u-14 or high school next year, of that impressive record how many of those games have been at u-12 this summer against teams that are stocked with players that are going to be first year 12's? What is the machines Philosophy? I do agree there are many great triple A programs out there. It would be fun to have the 01's 0s the 01/02 os the 02 machine and the Ice Cougars play in pool play. I know three of the 4 have played before with the 01/02 winning the clash in 2014. Maybe all 4 can hook up in the Caribou would be a lot of fun.

DrGaf

Post by DrGaf » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:53 am

HockeyDude20 wrote:3. Machine overall record currently sits at 20-3-4. One loss was 4-3 to a ... The difference being a penalty shot. One loss was to zambonidriver's daguhter's 01/02 Os team, 3-1. ... their only goals were on penalty shots. ...
Sound like a bunch of hacks.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.

HockeyDude20

Post by HockeyDude20 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:11 am

zamboni, you make a valid point. I was at both the games our teams played. Your daughter was in net for both. Like, I mentioned before she is a very good player. The St. Paul studs were both there and some of the Eagan girls, as well. I am not sure of who else was or wasn't there for the 01/02 Os. Of the 29 girls on the roster, 20 of them will be 8th graders this fall. 3 of them are 12U eligible but only one may continue to play at 12s. 8 will be 7th graders. And one will be a 6th grader. Some of those 12U competitions you refer to included a couple wins against a team with the Dunne girl from St. Louis that you have spoken highly of. There is good competition at the 02 birth year. We saw it in the final of Winnipeg vs. Sask Growl and all games in Rochester. The philosophy of our team specifically is individual skill development. Systems are taught, absolutely. That is part of the game. But it is secondary.

DrGaf, just to clarify in the Os Leagues there are no penalties served. If a minor penalty is called the other team is awarded a penalty shot.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:57 am

HockeyDude20 wrote:zamboni, you make a valid point. I was at both the games our teams played. Your daughter was in net for both. Like, I mentioned before she is a very good player. The St. Paul studs were both there and some of the Eagan girls, as well. I am not sure of who else was or wasn't there for the 01/02 Os. Of the 29 girls on the roster, 20 of them will be 8th graders this fall. 3 of them are 12U eligible but only one may continue to play at 12s. 8 will be 7th graders. And one will be a 6th grader. Some of those 12U competitions you refer to included a couple wins against a team with the Dunne girl from St. Louis that you have spoken highly of. There is good competition at the 02 birth year. We saw it in the final of Winnipeg vs. Sask Growl and all games in Rochester. The philosophy of our team specifically is individual skill development. Systems are taught, absolutely. That is part of the game. But it is secondary.

DrGaf, just to clarify in the Os Leagues there are no penalties served. If a minor penalty is called the other team is awarded a penalty shot.

Sounds like a good squad. You both make valid points on spring league/tourneys as tons of kids miss due to soccer, softball, lacrosse, vacations, etc so you never know what roster is there from game to game and it does make a difference.

That 03 group might be as good a year from now?

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:59 am

Who are the best players from that 02 Machine group? How do they compare to the top end of the other teams discussed?

Who are the studs from the 03 team?

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:03 pm

Mavs wrote:Who are the best players from that 02 Machine group? How do they compare to the top end of the other teams discussed?

I would say Hackley, Nicholson, Guilday, Bougriese are the 4 best on the 02 all the rest are interchangeable. I don't know the kids on the 03 team. The 03 selects team has a little center from Andover that is fantastic. I have obviously seen 01-02 OS a lot leaving my daughter out. I would say Parent, Ziegler, Barger, Wethington, Ryan,
Ryan can change a game all by herself but is a lot like Randy Moss only plays when she wants to. In regions she went off for 5 against Andover in what I thought was the most dominate performance of the year. Then at state she disappeared. Os top line of Wethington in the middle of Parent, and Ryan has dominated all spring/summer at 14's. The second line of Barger, Einan, and Marsh, is every bit as good. Also Ligday and Schuster might be just as good at D as Ziegler.
Last edited by zambonidriver on Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HockeyDude20

Post by HockeyDude20 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:09 pm

Mavs, here are the rosters for North American Hockey Classic in Winnipeg. This will give you some insight.

02 Machine Orange

http://www.northamericanhockeyclassic.c ... &year=2015

MN 03s

http://www.northamericanhockeyclassic.c ... &year=2015

HockeyDude20

Post by HockeyDude20 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:11 pm

Mavs, I guess you have to click through on the 12U Super Elite and then click on each team. I tried to give a hyperlink right to the team pages but it did not work.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:19 pm

thank you

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:34 pm

zambonidriver wrote:
Mavs wrote:Who are the best players from that 02 Machine group? How do they compare to the top end of the other teams discussed?

I would say Hackley, Nicholson, Guilday, Bougriese are the 4 best on the 02 all the rest are interchangeable. I don't know the kids on the 03 team. The 03 selects team has a little center from Andover that is fantastic. I have obviously seen 01-02 OS a lot leaving my daughter out. I would say Parent, Ziegler, Barger, Wethington, Ryan,
Ryan can change a game all by herself but is a lot like Randy Moss only plays when she wants to. In regions she went off for 5 against Andover in what I thought was the most dominate performance of the year. Then at state she disappeared. Os top line of Wethington in the middle of Parent, and Ryan has dominated all spring/summer at 14's. The second line of Barger, Einan, and Marsh, is every bit as good. Also Ligday and Schuster might be just as good at D as Ziegler.
I would add Skelton to the top players on that team 02 Machine team but have only seen the team play 2x this year (I think). She is skilled and fast both. I know that Hackley & Nicholson both generally play D. Do not know about the other 2 girls positions but assume that they are F along with Skelton (F).

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:12 pm

Curious which schools/associations these top 12 and 14s teams pull from. It will be interesting to see where are now and where they land as 9th graders.

HockeyDude20

Post by HockeyDude20 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:34 pm

Nevertoomuchhockey, for the 02 machine team there are girls from sartell (1) chaska/chan (2) Lakeville (2) minnetonka (5) Edina (6) Armstrong (1) wayzata (3) STMA (1) champlin (1) Blaine (1) Shakopee (1) Eden prairie (1) Andover (1) apple valley (1)

I'm sure some of them will go to private school for high school.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:34 am

01/ 02 OS 3 from st. paul 3 Stillwater 2 edina 1 minnetonka 3 forest lake 3 from eagan 1 Mahtomedi

Hansonbrother

Post by Hansonbrother » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:44 am

zambonidriver wrote:01/ 02 OS 3 from st. paul 3 Stillwater 2 edina 1 minnetonka 3 forest lake 3 from eagan 1 Mahtomedi
Hey Zamboni, you seem to know the Os program fairly well, who are the top 01's on your list?

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:06 pm

Hansonbrother wrote:
zambonidriver wrote:01/ 02 OS 3 from st. paul 3 Stillwater 2 edina 1 minnetonka 3 forest lake 3 from eagan 1 Mahtomedi
Hey Zamboni, you seem to know the Os program fairly well, who are the top 01's on your list?
Mcmahon maple grove ,Delarosa WBL, Zieglar St.Paul
Parent FL Hartung, Burnsville, Marshuga Anoka, Meyers Revolution, Benick,MCclean Roseville, Delasindias Edina, Shearan WBL
Sorry about the spelling

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:49 pm

zambonidriver wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote:
Parent FL Hartung, Burnsville, Marshuga Anoka, Meyers Revolution, Benick,MCclean Roseville, Delasindias Edina, Shearan WBL
Sorry about the spelling
Didn't one of those 01s play on SSM's national championship team?

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:51 pm

zambonidriver wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote:
Sorry about the spelling
Maclean flipped from Roseville to CDH for this upcoming (9th grade) year.

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:10 pm

1. 01 OS
2. 01/02 OS
3. 02 machine
4.02/03 OS
5. STE
6. Ice Cougars
Are 5 and 6 the 12U teams or 14U?

HockeyDude20

Post by HockeyDude20 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:51 pm

STE and Ice Cougars are 14U teams. Ice Cougars is filled with 01s and 02s. I am not familiar with the STE 14U teams.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:20 am

HockeyDude20 wrote:STE and Ice Cougars are 14U teams. Ice Cougars is filled with 01s and 02s. I am not familiar with the STE 14U teams.
Saw them in the meltdown When my daughter was playing for Colorado Mainly Centennial and Forest Lake players with a few Blaine kids sprinkled in.

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:23 am

They must be pretty good if they lost to the Colorado/St Louis/Os team on a last minute shot. A lot of big talk about the talent on that C/SL/Os team after that tourney. Cougars finished 5th in that tourney, but they're one of the 6 best teams this summer?