Beantown Tournament

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

observer

Beantown Tournament

Post by observer »

Several Minnesota girls at all levels. Rosters are posted.

http://beantownclassic.com/events/womens-classic/
Nevertoomuchhockey

Re: Beantown Tournament

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

observer wrote:Several Minnesota girls at all levels. Rosters are posted.

Any idea why you can only see game but not box scores?
u12dad

Re: Beantown Tournament

Post by u12dad »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:
observer wrote:Several Minnesota girls at all levels. Rosters are posted.

Any idea why you can only see game but not box scores?
Jr. Whitecaps beat Quebec Sherbrook in finals.
Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan »

It was a pleasure seeing so many Minnesota girls represented in what I consider to be the best summer tournament in the nation. At the Futures AAA level Minnesota teams did great- The Blades, Canam, IceCats and Whitecaps all made it to the upper bracket, and Skate to Excellence went far in the conciliation bracket. I've had the pleasure of watching the caps (Team Reebok) play for numerous years and I can honestly say they don't get any better. They represent everything Minnesota hockey is about and are in a league all their own. Credit goes to PJ and TS for putting these girls together many years ago and helping them to achieve their dreams. Our team had the misfortune of drawing them in the playoffs, and despite knowing what was about to come our way, I thoroughly enjoyed watching them for possibly the last time as a group. The younger teams from Minnesota did great too- congrats to all of Minnesota's best and brightest. We will be watching most of these girls playing D1 & D3 in the years to come!
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

Hard water fan wrote:It was a pleasure seeing so many Minnesota girls represented in what I consider to be the best summer tournament in the nation. At the Futures AAA level Minnesota teams did great- The Blades, Canam, IceCats and Whitecaps all made it to the upper bracket, and Skate to Excellence went far in the conciliation bracket. I've had the pleasure of watching the caps (Team Reebok) play for numerous years and I can honestly say they don't get any better. They represent everything Minnesota hockey is about and are in a league all their own. Credit goes to PJ and TS for putting these girls together many years ago and helping them to achieve their dreams. Our team had the misfortune of drawing them in the playoffs, and despite knowing what was about to come our way, I thoroughly enjoyed watching them for possibly the last time as a group. The younger teams from Minnesota did great too- congrats to all of Minnesota's best and brightest. We will be watching most of these girls playing D1 & D3 in the years to come!
Wow....Hard Water, great stuff! On a blog of daggers and tales.. often by me, I too loved the weekend. Great wins and great games. The Ice Cats game vs Team One was probably the best game I have seen in 5 years. Young Blades teams went deep into the field and others like STE and Ice Cats rolled too. We had a plane ride home with 80 kids from 5 teams. Most of which you could not tell who won or who lost. Speaks volumes for a great weekend!!
Nevertoomuchhockey

Assuming most of the Jr Whitecaps playing at Braemer this weekend, though against rather than with each other? Are you really done as a team (Stoney Creek or NAHA bound perhaps?) I know most of your team is already committed so maybe the travel schedule settles down. Looks like WI will be the team to beat come 2017-2018?
Is CanAm a MN team? Didn't see the roster but assumed it included Canadians. And will the Whitecaps carry on with younger players under this moniker in the future, or does the team fade away as the young ladies move on to college puck?
Congrats to everyone. This tourney looks like it may have outgrown its reputation as having most scouts per game. Waaayyyyyy too many games for them to get to. And 5 days long? Wow.
Knight7

Post by Knight7 »

Ntmh,

The Jr. Whitecaps traditionally bring two teams of uncommitted U19 players to NAHA in Vermont on Labor Day weekend. Most of these players could still play U16. They also brought out a U16 team last year too.
The CanAm tourney in Detriot has been usually two teams of committed players, filling out the roster with a couple of uncommitted players. These players are taken from the three Elite teams that play in the fall. The tournament is set up so Canadian teams only play American teams. Two years ago the two Jr. Whitecaps and Chicago Mission ended the tourney with all three teams going 5-0. Goals allowed determined first,second and third places.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Knight7 wrote:Ntmh,

The Jr. Whitecaps traditionally bring two teams of uncommitted U19 players to NAHA in Vermont on Labor Day weekend. Most of these players could still play U16. They also brought out a U16 team last year too.
The CanAm tourney in Detriot has been usually two teams of committed players, filling out the roster with a couple of uncommitted players. These players are taken from the three Elite teams that play in the fall. The tournament is set up so Canadian teams only play American teams. Two years ago the two Jr. Whitecaps and Chicago Mission ended the tourney with all three teams going 5-0. Goals allowed determined first,second and third places.
Thanks Knight. I think we were just referring to this particular (Team Reebok) version of the Jr. Whitecaps. I was not aware that it's a stand alone program that has a history and future completely apart from these particular skaters. Just when I think I know something about the girls side of hockey, I learn something new.
I'm familiar with the CanAm tourneys and format. I thought this team was a separate entity? My point was Hard Water listed them as a MN team, and I thought it was a Canadian team.
Interesting info, appreciate it.
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Assuming most of the Jr Whitecaps playing at Braemer this weekend, though against rather than with each other? Are you really done as a team (Stoney Creek or NAHA bound perhaps?) I know most of your team is already committed so maybe the travel schedule settles down. Looks like WI will be the team to beat come 2017-2018?
Is CanAm a MN team? Didn't see the roster but assumed it included Canadians. And will the Whitecaps carry on with younger players under this moniker in the future, or does the team fade away as the young ladies move on to college puck?
Congrats to everyone. This tourney looks like it may have outgrown its reputation as having most scouts per game. Waaayyyyyy too many games for them to get to. And 5 days long? Wow.
The Whitecaps in Beantown will not be at Prospects this weekend, however, we will be in NAHA with the same team. And yes, 5 days...8 games was a long road to hoe. Prefer old format.

As far as future traveling Whitecaps teams. Check with Winny and CP, very easy to work with.
Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan »

Canam United is a team consisting mostly of northern tier Minnesota girls, with a few Canadians. Coached by Craig Norwich (couldn't make the trip) and Dave Vescio of Canada. Went 2-1 only to get bounced by Reebok/ WC in upper playoffs. If you want to be the best, you have to play the best, eh? :D
observer

Post by observer »

Congrats to the Jr. Whitecaps for winning the whole thing!

Minnesota girls are the best and it isn't even close. Like Knight said both Whitecap teams were perfect in Detroit (CanAm) a couple of years ago. Check the eastern D1 school rosters and you'll be amazed at the number of Canadian girls yet the MN teams usually whoop the best Canadian teams. So much more skill and speed.
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

observer wrote:Congrats to the Jr. Whitecaps for winning the whole thing!

Minnesota girls are the best and it isn't even close. Like Knight said both Whitecap teams were perfect in Detroit (CanAm) a couple of years ago. Check the eastern D1 school rosters and you'll be amazed at the number of Canadian girls yet the MN teams usually whoop the best Canadian teams. So much more skill and speed.
Great job by the Jr whitecaps.

However, don't get too carried away and make bold claims that are unsupportable...

NCAA D-1 hockey teams are filled by 3 distinct leagues or groups of players.The main difference between the 3 leagues is their geography. The 3 leagues are

US Hockey/Tier 1(AAA)
CANADA
MSHSL

Last year, NCAA D-1 rosters had a total of 814 girls on their rosters. Those numbers break down to:

US Hockey Tier 1(AAA) 355 43.6%
CANADA. 297 36.4%
MSHSL 133 16.3%

The goalie numbers are surprising also

US Hky Tier 1 43
CANADA 39
MSHSL 14

Only 4 of our MSHSL goalies logged significant playing time. (I could only think of 2)
The local WCHA has :

MSHSL. 66 players
CANADIAN 55 players
US TIER 1 53 players

and surprisingly only 6 goalies from MSHSL

None of this will affect the enjoyment I get watching our HS girls play,but, don't kid yourself
right now we have ~ 120 girls teams in MN producing only 133(16%) of the rostered players in NCAA D-1.

US TIER 1 producing 355(44%) with~ 50 teams,and
CANADA TIER 1 supplying 297(36%) with ~ 60 teams
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

nu2hockey wrote:
observer wrote:Congrats to the Jr. Whitecaps for winning the whole thing!

Great job by the Jr whitecaps.

However, don't get too carried away and make bold claims that are unsupportable...

NCAA D-1 hockey teams are filled by 3 distinct leagues or groups of players.The main difference between the 3 leagues is their geography. The 3 leagues are

US Hockey/Tier 1(AAA)
CANADA
MSHSL

Last year, NCAA D-1 rosters had a total of 814 girls on their rosters. Those numbers break down to:

US Hockey Tier 1(AAA) 355 43.6%
CANADA. 297 36.4%
MSHSL 133 16.3%

The goalie numbers are surprising also

US Hky Tier 1 43
CANADA 39
MSHSL 14

Only 4 of our MSHSL goalies logged significant playing time. (I could only think of 2)
The local WCHA has :

MSHSL. 66 players
CANADIAN 55 players
US TIER 1 53 players

and surprisingly only 6 goalies from MSHSL

None of this will affect the enjoyment I get watching our HS girls play,but, don't kid yourself
right now we have ~ 120 girls teams in MN producing only 133(16%) of the rostered players in NCAA D-1.

US TIER 1 producing 355(44%) with~ 50 teams,and
CANADA TIER 1 supplying 297(36%) with ~ 60 teams
WOW...this whole thing just got really deep! Congrats to the 16.3%

What is the percentage of girls from Minnesota on National Championship teams?
observer

Post by observer »

Thank you very much for the breakdown. Very interesting.

I'll stand by my claim. As for percentages, NCAA rosters would look more like WCHA rosters if recruiting was entirely based on current hockey ability. I understand the importance of the academic piece. The number of strong players MN is producing will continue to tip those numbers.
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

I was stunned that only 119 skaters and 14 goalies
from MSHSL were rostered last yr...I would have bet a beer or 2 that the numbers would have been better.

I don't believe the numbers would be different because of academics( that's a slap to our players )or that other schools recruit lesser ability kids.
Nor do I believe that MN players don't want opportunity to play outside of the WCHA.

I have to admit it is still very surprising.
observer

Post by observer »

I don't believe the numbers would be different because of academics
Hugely important. This isn't men's hockey. All things considered equal the coach will take the player with the better test scores.
or that other schools recruit lesser ability kids.
I'm saying all eastern schools do.
Nor do I believe that MN players don't want opportunity to play outside of the WCHA.

This will be interesting. A lot of the eastern coaches and recruiting machines are Canadian and eastern based and currently, unfortunately, more comfortable with Canadian and eastern players.
titleist

Post by titleist »

observer wrote:
I don't believe the numbers would be different because of academics
Hugely important. This isn't men's hockey. All things considered equal the coach will take the player with the better test scores.
or that other schools recruit lesser ability kids.
I'm saying all eastern schools do.

This will be interesting. A lot of the eastern coaches and recruiting machines are Canadian and eastern based and currently, unfortunately, more comfortable with Canadian and eastern players.
All I know, is that I watched the Jr. White Caps play at Beantown, and for many of the games, it was women against girls. They were so good and so fast, there is no way any eastern school couldn't have noticed how good the talent is...the only issue would be that there are so many games going on, I don't know how any coach could view that much hockey. As one WCHA coach said, "This format at Beantown is brutal and a waste of time to try and recruit girls. Way too many teams which leads to way too much watered down games."
Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan »

There are many more D1 teams out East. Many Minnesota girls (and parents) would prefer to stay closer to home...for various reasons with money being the big one. Parents would like to see games, and it is often not affordable to fly repeatedly out East, nor is it affordable to fly her home frequently. My daughter has had the opportunity to go D1 out East, but decided to go D3 closer to home. More ice time probably, close to home for laundry weekends and she will have the benefit of having lots of family going to games to cheer her on. I have to think there are many like my daughter who is a "bubble player" and chose to play D3, which is also very good hockey.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Hard water fan wrote:There are many more D1 teams out East. Many Minnesota girls (and parents) would prefer to stay closer to home...for various reasons with money being the big one. Parents would like to see games, and it is often not affordable to fly repeatedly out East, nor is it affordable to fly her home frequently. My daughter has had the opportunity to go D1 out East, but decided to go D3 closer to home. More ice time probably, close to home for laundry weekends and she will have the benefit of having lots of family going to games to cheer her on. I have to think there are many like my daughter who is a "bubble player" and chose to play D3, which is also very good hockey.
You think there are "many" who turned down D1 for D3? Disagree. Someone somewhere, of course. But no way "many."
And nearly every D1 school, east coast/in state/other, are streaming every game. I'd bet most D3 as well. Heck, so many high school games are already online.
It's great your kid got what she and her family wanted. But I think walking away from D1 offers is the exception not the rule.
Mavs

Post by Mavs »

nu2hockey wrote:I was stunned that only 119 skaters and 14 goalies
from MSHSL were rostered last yr...I would have bet a beer or 2 that the numbers would have been better.

I don't believe the numbers would be different because of academics( that's a slap to our players )or that other schools recruit lesser ability kids.

That is 30 MN kids going D1 ever year, right? 30 girls in every class going D1.
zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver »

Interesting thread, There are more D1 schools out east. The do not offer the standard NCAA d1 Athletic scholarship they offer their money based on need. So they tailor their recruiting not only to test scores but to families who can afford the high tuition. That being said, my wife and I make a good living and our daughter who played 4 years at union never paid a dime. Union's women's program recruits mainly Canadian and east coast players who are no where near as good as the Minnesota girls. They have maybe one or two Minnesotan's During my daughters 4 years she was the only Minnesotan on the team. They also during that 4 years won a total of 10 games and had 9 girls on academic probation. Guess where they were from(oh CAN)? Union is now starting to recruit more MN players. During my daughters time at union she hosted many recruits some went there some didn't. On was the other Brandt sister who though not as good as Hannah was a heck of a player and they didn't extend an offer because she wasn't their type of player. She went on to have a great career at Gustavus. A lot of girls choose to go the MIAC route which is great hockey and close to home.
D6 Girls Fan

Post by D6 Girls Fan »

This won't go over well, but here goes.

I know that 90% of the people on this Type-A discussion board think D1 is the Holy Grail, the best end result. Not for everyone it isn't. Outside of the Ivy League schools, I wouldn't want my daughter playing D1 hockey (not that she was good enough to anyway). Yes, a free (or mostly free) education is great - maybe even pays back all the skating lessons, new skates and summer camps. But the academic scholarship our daughter got at a D3 school is worth more than lots of full rides at state institutions. And the chances of her getting to a good grad school, law school or med school are much greater at this D3 school than they would be at almost every D1 school (again, Ivy's win here). There are excellent academic institutions playing D3 hockey - top top tier schools.

College is there to set you up for the rest of your life. Yes, there are athletes who are highly motivated individuals who can balance the responsibilities of being a D1 athlete and a pre-med student. But not many. It's hard enough at the D3 level, and the commitment to the sport is considerably less. But on this board especially, we judge success if a kid plays D1 hockey. And from a hockey standpoint, it is. Outside of the Olympics, it's the best. But for girls, that's all it is. I really want my kid winning AFTER college, for the rest of her life, I'm sure we all do.

Congrats to the girls who play D1 hockey, it took hard work and dedication to get there. But congrats also to the girls who play D3 hockey at schools that are tough to get into, for being equally dedicated in other areas.
AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad »

Mavs wrote:
nu2hockey wrote:I was stunned that only 119 skaters and 14 goalies

That is 30 MN kids going D1 ever year, right? 30 girls in every class going D1.
Yes about 30 out of about 600 or maybe more graduating seniors in the MSHSL each year...and many play little in D1 when they get there.
Nevertoomuchhockey

D6 Girls Fan wrote:This won't go over well, but here goes.

I know that 90% of the people on this Type-A discussion board think D1 is the Holy Grail, the best end result. Not for everyone it isn't. Outside of the Ivy League schools, I wouldn't want my daughter playing D1 hockey (not that she was good enough to anyway). Yes, a free (or mostly free) education is great - maybe even pays back all the skating lessons, new skates and summer camps. But the academic scholarship our daughter got at a D3 school is worth more than lots of full rides at state institutions. And the chances of her getting to a good grad school, law school or med school are much greater at this D3 school than they would be at almost every D1 school (again, Ivy's win here). There are excellent academic institutions playing D3 hockey - top top tier schools.

College is there to set you up for the rest of your life. Yes, there are athletes who are highly motivated individuals who can balance the responsibilities of being a D1 athlete and a pre-med student. But not many. It's hard enough at the D3 level, and the commitment to the sport is considerably less. But on this board especially, we judge success if a kid plays D1 hockey. And from a hockey standpoint, it is. Outside of the Olympics, it's the best. But for girls, that's all it is. I really want my kid winning AFTER college, for the rest of her life, I'm sure we all do.

Congrats to the girls who play D1 hockey, it took hard work and dedication to get there. But congrats also to the girls who play D3 hockey at schools that are tough to get into, for being equally dedicated in other areas.
Great post.
zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver »

D6 Girls Fan wrote:This won't go over well, but here goes.

Well said!!!