Wisconsin Badgers 14-15

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

JSR

Post by JSR » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:35 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:
JSR wrote:
Gopher Blog wrote:Just lost Jack Dougherty. That's a big hit in my mind as I think he had the best potential out of their D group to be a very good player the next few seasons.
Yea that one hurts, losing Opilka is still a bigger loss but this one definitely hurts and adds insult to injury for sure. A little surpsied by Dougherty honestly, the reality is he could have used one more year of college, the new assistant coaches are WAY better than the two jackholes that just left, not really sure what went into the decision but oh well...
The feeling I had from talking to somebody that knows the family is he picked UW mainly for the playing time he'd get right away. When I asked this same person during last season how the kid was handling all the losing, he said it didn't seem to matter to the kid as long as he got enough ice time. Kinda figured that UW might not be a long term priority when you hear stuff like that.
I don't disagree but I thought we'd have him for his sophomore year considering how much more growth needed to happen for him before he went pro. I talked to an AHL coach I know with ties to UW and he said Dougherty should've stayed for his sophomore year that he jumped too soon... but who knows, time will tell

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:32 pm

I think the kid should have stayed at least two more seasons but I guess the money and the losing at UW probably pushed things.

observer

Post by observer » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:43 pm

Don't know Dougherty's specifics but several of these players making early moves to the CHL, or NHL, just aren't in it for the school experience and the work it takes outside of hockey to be a successful student. Some will make it and some won't.

JSR

Post by JSR » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:05 am

observer wrote:Don't know Dougherty's specifics but several of these players making early moves to the CHL, or NHL, just aren't in it for the school experience and the work it takes outside of hockey to be a successful student. Some will make it and some won't.
Very true, some are there only for hockey and feel like "school" is in the way. Not sure if that was Dougherty or not but you are right