Beantown Tournament

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad »

D6 Girls Fan wrote:
Congrats to the girls who play D1 hockey, it took hard work and dedication to get there. But congrats also to the girls who play D3 hockey at schools that are tough to get into, for being equally dedicated in other areas.

Well while we are at it let's congratulate all the MSHSL players that decide not to play hockey at all in college so that they can solely focus on academic excellence and really succeed after college!?? :P'
blondegirlsdad

Post by blondegirlsdad »

D6 Girls Fan wrote:This won't go over well, but here goes.

I know that 90% of the people on this Type-A discussion board think D1 is the Holy Grail, the best end result. Not for everyone it isn't. Outside of the Ivy League schools, I wouldn't want my daughter playing D1 hockey (not that she was good enough to anyway). Yes, a free (or mostly free) education is great - maybe even pays back all the skating lessons, new skates and summer camps. But the academic scholarship our daughter got at a D3 school is worth more than lots of full rides at state institutions. And the chances of her getting to a good grad school, law school or med school are much greater at this D3 school than they would be at almost every D1 school (again, Ivy's win here). There are excellent academic institutions playing D3 hockey - top top tier schools.

College is there to set you up for the rest of your life. Yes, there are athletes who are highly motivated individuals who can balance the responsibilities of being a D1 athlete and a pre-med student. But not many. It's hard enough at the D3 level, and the commitment to the sport is considerably less. But on this board especially, we judge success if a kid plays D1 hockey. And from a hockey standpoint, it is. Outside of the Olympics, it's the best. But for girls, that's all it is. I really want my kid winning AFTER college, for the rest of her life, I'm sure we all do.

Congrats to the girls who play D1 hockey, it took hard work and dedication to get there. But congrats also to the girls who play D3 hockey at schools that are tough to get into, for being equally dedicated in other areas.
Thank you.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

AAA Dad wrote:
D6 Girls Fan wrote:

Well while we are at it let's congratulate all the MSHSL players that decide not to play hockey at all in college so that they can solely focus on academic excellence and really succeed after college!?? :P'
And let's add the parents who were slapped in the face with reality when junior was a preteen and saved enough money by keeping their kid out of hockey to just pay out of pocket for any of these colleges.

#realitybites #dreamkiller #classof2022commits
Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan »

Well said D6. That was my point that NTMH didn't get. "Many" do choose the D3 route for the various reasons listed. Many of those either had the chance, could have or did play D1. Many doesn't mean majority... If you look at rosters from prominent D3 programs it isn't unusual to see a transfer from a D1 program. My daughter chose the D3 route for academic and culture reasons. Plus, she'll probably play considerably more. Sitting on the bench or not dressing is a common occurrence for first and second year D1 players. It's a tough road for kids who aren't in the upper tier of talent. For some that's great, for others...not so much.
Burnbabyburn

Post by Burnbabyburn »

..then there's the fact that at the MIAC school my daughter's in, I can see almost every one of her games in person.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

Hard water fan wrote:Well said D6. That was my point that NTMH didn't get. "Many" do choose the D3 route for the various reasons listed. Many of those either had the chance, could have or did play D1. Many doesn't mean majority... If you look at rosters from prominent D3 programs it isn't unusual to see a transfer from a D1 program. My daughter chose the D3 route for academic and culture reasons. Plus, she'll probably play considerably more. Sitting on the bench or not dressing is a common occurrence for first and second year D1 players. It's a tough road for kids who aren't in the upper tier of talent. For some that's great, for others...not so much.
I absolutely get your point. And actually happen to agree. The choice of where to play college puck is about so so much more than the game of hockey. What's right for your kid and family is unique to your kid and family.

Absolutely some kids choose d3 or don't play at all or play (gasp) another sport. My point was only that I don't believe that there are "many" who walk away from d1 offers. Of course it happens. It should happen - priorities are (gasp) not always hockey. But no way is this the norm. That's all.
zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:
Hard water fan wrote:Well said D6. That was my point that NTMH didn't get. "Many" do choose the D3 route for the various reasons listed. Many of those either had the chance, could have or did play D1. Many doesn't mean majority... If you look at rosters from prominent D3 programs it isn't unusual to see a transfer from a D1 program. My daughter chose the D3 route for academic and culture reasons. Plus, she'll probably play considerably more. Sitting on the bench or not dressing is a common occurrence for first and second year D1 players. It's a tough road for kids who aren't in the upper tier of talent. For some that's great, for others...not so much.
I absolutely get your point. And actually happen to agree. The choice of where to play college puck is about so so much more than the game of hockey. What's right for your kid and family is unique to your kid and family.

Absolutely some kids choose d3 or don't play at all or play (gasp) another sport. My point was only that I don't believe that there are "many" who walk away from d1 offers. Of course it happens. It should happen - priorities are (gasp) not always hockey. But no way is this the norm. That's all.
Great points. Another thing that is almost exclusive to girls/womens hockey is the need of girls to feel relevant and at home. A lot of coaches don't understand girls/women. Girls need reasons for things. I like to use the example of running through a brick wall if you tell a boy to do it, he will. If you ask a girl, She will ask why and then if the reason is good wiil do it. Boy's can handle the healthy scratch or the being benched a little easier because their minds work differently than boys. Girls have a tendency to over analyze things. Negative things tend to stay with them. My point is the East coast Schools go at things a little differently than the Midwest ones. It is very hard for a Midwestern girl to move east. The feeling of family just isn't as prevalent. That is why you see the Midwest girls transferring back closer to home. I think of Chelsa Jones as a prime example of this. My Daughter every summer would dread the beginning part of the year, not because of the training or the hockey. It was the self-centered BS she had to put up with and the mind games from the coaching staff.