Tis the Transfer season...

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:26 am

jg2112 wrote:
zambonidriver wrote:
Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Whenever I've taken notice of an incredible young skater this summer, they seem to be at Blake.
I would say Blake is loaded Wethington made the U-18 National team Blake and Breck seem to be part of the OS pipeline. Don't forget about CDH if the Meyers sisters eligibility issues get cleared up they will be a force also. Would be nice to see a conference of CDH, Blake, Breck, BSM, HM, SPU,
Frankly, add in the Rochester school and the Duluth school (am I right that there's a Duluth private school), and that should be a state tournament. They're playing by a different set of rules than the public schools.

And I'm not saying what the privates are doing is a bad thing. The only thing I dislike is that it's taking a lot of talented kids from other schools, where they could get lots of playing time and create a more competitive winter girls' hockey environment. But it is their (parents') choice.
Which is weird, because it's not like Roseville and WBL have been door mats. Roseville is historically a much better team than HM. I suppose it comes down to "my kid has a 2 year window, so who is winning now" type of mentality. I want to keep the competitiveness on the east side right where it is with many strong teams having a decent shot to make state (and do well).

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:32 am

Blake's loss this year helps justify staying at A for a year or two. At least in the minds of the only people who count (the admin and parents who could influence a change.)

Hadn't seen the final national roster. MW is 14, correct? Must be among the youngest ever. Great for her!

As for an all privates conference, I think with few exceptions, those programs are not at the top of their sections as frequently as this board implies. In Rochester there are too many teams for the numbers involved, and they end up cannibalizing one another since move-ins are more infrequent than the metro. Also more difficult to enroll there without physically moving. Same for Duluth. Marshall is playing varsity for the first time ever. More transfers in that section to Mirage than to Marshall, by a wide margin. JG I'm curious what you think the "different set of rules" implies. With open enrollment it's a wide open field before 9th grade. IMO the issue should be are schools (public or private) playing down when their history, numbers, and talent suggest moving up?

Btw, does anyone know where the BE girls are playing this year?

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:51 am

Maybe I missed it in this thread but just saw someone post the Prospects Camp rosters and another young Roseville player was listed as Cretin in the program unless it was a misprint. Played varsity last year as an 8th grader.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:53 am

Sparlimb wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
zambonidriver wrote:
Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Whenever I've taken notice of an incredible young skater this summer, they seem to be at Blake.
I would say Blake is loaded Wethington made the U-18 National team Blake and Breck seem to be part of the OS pipeline. Don't forget about CDH if the Meyers sisters eligibility issues get cleared up they will be a force also. Would be nice to see a conference of CDH, Blake, Breck, BSM, HM, SPU,
Frankly, add in the Rochester school and the Duluth school (am I right that there's a Duluth private school), and that should be a state tournament. They're playing by a different set of rules than the public schools.

And I'm not saying what the privates are doing is a bad thing. The only thing I dislike is that it's taking a lot of talented kids from other schools, where they could get lots of playing time and create a more competitive winter girls' hockey environment. But it is their (parents') choice.
Which is weird, because it's not like Roseville and WBL have been door mats. Roseville is historically a much better team than HM. I suppose it comes down to "my kid has a 2 year window, so who is winning now" type of mentality. I want to keep the competitiveness on the east side right where it is with many strong teams having a decent shot to make state (and do well).
Demographics are changing in Roseville like most first ring burbs starting to deal with the same problems as NSP, BP, AC,Richfield etc...

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:09 am

Mavs wrote:Maybe I missed it in this thread but just saw someone post the Prospects Camp rosters and another young Roseville player was listed as Cretin in the program unless it was a misprint. Played varsity last year as an 8th grader.
Yes, LM is transferring to CDH from Roseville.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:20 am

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Blake's loss this year helps justify staying at A for a year or two. At least in the minds of the only people who count (the admin and parents who could influence a change.)

Hadn't seen the final national roster. MW is 14, correct? Must be among the youngest ever. Great for her!

As for an all privates conference, I think with few exceptions, those programs are not at the top of their sections as frequently as this board implies. In Rochester there are too many teams for the numbers involved, and they end up cannibalizing one another since move-ins are more infrequent than the metro. Also more difficult to enroll there without physically moving. Same for Duluth. Marshall is playing varsity for the first time ever. More transfers in that section to Mirage than to Marshall, by a wide margin. JG I'm curious what you think the "different set of rules" implies. With open enrollment it's a wide open field before 9th grade. IMO the issue should be are schools (public or private) playing down when their history, numbers, and talent suggest moving up?

What is happening at BE?

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:47 am

jg2112 wrote:
Mavs wrote:Maybe I missed it in this thread but just saw someone post the Prospects Camp rosters and another young Roseville player was listed as Cretin in the program unless it was a misprint. Played varsity last year as an 8th grader.
Wow

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:55 am

alcloseshaver wrote:
Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Blake's loss this year helps justify staying at A for a year or two. At least in the minds of the only people who count (the admin and parents who could influence a change.)

What is happening at BE?
Can they play with the new MN hockey rule about before and after?

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:50 pm

Everyone is talking about BE but no one knows what's really up. Fact - they didn't field teams this summer at any level. Some not playing, many others scattered around various OS, Blades, etc. teams. Generally "known" (but not at all known) is that they only had provisional tier 1 status and MN hockey said development only after that expired. No idea if that is even close to the truth. Not much recruiting info available around the tourney circuit this summer.

D6 Girls Fan

Post by D6 Girls Fan » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:08 pm

What happened at BSM? We always heard the denials about their recruiting when those D1 players all gathered there, but I'm now inclined to believe them. They haven't had any significant additions in years. Did they even put anyone into college this year?

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:18 pm

jg2112 wrote:
Well, since she's entering 9th grade, she could be just going to school at CDH (and that may have been her plan all along). Not technically a "transfer". But certainly a player who played varsity last year for one school and now is at another.

D6 Girls Fan wrote:What happened at BSM? We always heard the denials about their recruiting when those D1 players all gathered there, but I'm now inclined to believe them. They haven't had any significant additions in years. Did they even put anyone into college this year?
BSM has had one bad year after their Ms. Hockey graduated. I'm sure they'll be back around. Hasn't helped them get to the state tournament much, but section realignments could be good for them.

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:16 pm

Doubtful Blake girls EVER move up unless boys do...

To be more clear, these girls are part of the 83 girls invited to the national festival. The 2 teams of 22 have not been chosen . The youngest are 2000 birth years.

Good luck to the invitees

36Guy

Post by 36Guy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:05 pm

Sparlimb wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
Well, since she's entering 9th grade, she could be just going to school at CDH (and that may have been her plan all along). Not technically a "transfer". But certainly a player who played varsity last year for one school and now is at another.

D6 Girls Fan wrote:What happened at BSM? We always heard the denials about their recruiting when those D1 players all gathered there, but I'm now inclined to believe them. They haven't had any significant additions in years. Did they even put anyone into college this year?
BSM has had one bad year after their Ms. Hockey graduated. I'm sure they'll be back around. Hasn't helped them get to the state tournament much, but section realignments could be good for them.
Who won Ms Hockey from BSM??

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:43 pm

Pannek, finalist 2014?

Knight7

Post by Knight7 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:49 pm

Pannek won Ms Soccer 2013. Finalist for Ms. Hockey 2014. All State Lacrosse in her only year as a Senior 2014. Nice senior year.

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:39 pm

36Guy wrote:
Sparlimb wrote:
jg2112 wrote:

Who won Ms Hockey from BSM??
My bad, I was thinking Pannek. She was the best player in the tournament 2 years ago and had a really good freshman campaign with the Gophers. I was too lazy to search whether they actually gave her the award or not.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:59 am

A new 8th grade goalie at century jr high in forest lake ???? Former highland player ????? interesting movement in the Ranger girls program.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:29 am

old goalie85 wrote:A new 8th grade goalie at century jr high in forest lake ???? Former highland player ????? interesting movement in the Ranger girls program.
Due to recent medical developments private school is no longer affordable. Was wondering when this was going to surface.

blondegirlsdad

Post by blondegirlsdad » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:56 am

BSM only had two seniors, both were top of the class students - Summa Cum Laude (one was valedictorian). Both were pursued by multiple top academic D3 schools. Only one playing hockey next year.

BSM will be fine. Better this year, maybe better next.

titleist

Post by titleist » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:15 am

panpan111 wrote:
Those aren't rumors from what I heard at the rink this weekend. A top line Roseville forward and 5-6 WBL U14 girls are going to the Pioneers.

Roseville is getting gutted this offseason.
Roseville Senior transfer is not a top line forward. Will be lucky to make the squad. WBL kid (if she comes) will help in the future.
If you think that player from Roseville will be lucky to make that squad, you are crazy. Now with that, I will qualify that HM has some really nice players, but you're talking about a Jr. Whitecap player... Maybe not a high scorer, but certainly knows how to move a puck. You don't get to play Jr Whitecaps if you're marginal...that is a fact.

titleist

Post by titleist » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:24 am

nu2hockey wrote:SSP goalie graduated...replacement has lots of potential(6'4" )
SPU said goodbye to Cole..new coach in place
Farmington going to SSM
Mad Cap girl playing with Woodbury in summer scrimmages

Roseville numbers appear down but don't know how they are gutted by losing one player, maybe more are leaving

I don't know if a 12-12 team would be considered good or strong..Average at best would be my thought..the influx of 1 player would help some

Roseville losing 3 varsity players from 2015 roster...

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:45 am

titleist wrote:
Farmington going to SSM

Roseville numbers appear down but don't know how they are gutted by losing one player, maybe more are leaving

I don't know if a 12-12 team would be considered good or strong..Average at best would be my thought..the influx of 1 player would help some

This is what I meant when I said "gutted."

Between graduation and transfers, losing your top goalie, an all conference defender, your leading scorer, and a player (to a conference rival) who would likely be a top-4 defender this year is never good.

They have a great player in 7th grade who plays PeeWee A (was the captain last year as a first-year) but the numbers are low on the girls side. Only 7-8 girls in 7th grade are playing.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:53 am

jg2112 wrote:
titleist wrote:
Farmington going to SSM

What about the girl from revolution?

Between graduation and transfers, losing your top goalie, an all conference defender, your leading scorer, and a player (to a conference rival) who would likely be a top-4 defender this year is never good.

They have a great player in 7th grade who plays PeeWee A (was the captain last year as a first-year) but the numbers are low on the girls side. Only 7-8 girls in 7th grade are playing.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:24 am

jg2112 wrote:
titleist wrote:
Farmington going to SSM

What is going on over there? That has always been a good program and they have had players (Centennial, Hudson, etc) move in but suddenly kids are leaving? Ex-assistant coach's kid leaving? Whitecaps player leaving?

Roseville and WBL appear to be taking a big hit on the east side. Will they just be private school feeder programs going forward? That would be sad.

36Guy

Post by 36Guy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:30 am

titleist wrote:
panpan111 wrote:
Those aren't rumors from what I heard at the rink this weekend. A top line Roseville forward and 5-6 WBL U14 girls are going to the Pioneers.

Roseville is getting gutted this offseason.
Roseville Senior transfer is not a top line forward. Will be lucky to make the squad. WBL kid (if she comes) will help in the future.
If you think that player from Roseville will be lucky to make that squad, you are crazy. Now with that, I will qualify that HM has some really nice players, but you're talking about a Jr. Whitecap player... Maybe not a high scorer, but certainly knows how to move a puck. You don't get to play Jr Whitecaps if you're marginal...that is a fact.
I disagree...I know all the players involved and playing a lot will be difficult. Not a condemnation of the player but rather a testament to HM's depth. I don't think Anderson, Kaasa, Featherstone, Boreen, Blinkhorn and Smith are going to be riding the pine anytime soon. It's also assuming he doesn't move Prater back up to forward.

As far as the Whitecaps go, its no secret I'm a big fan. However, a sticker does not make a great player. Those stickers are way easier to come by these days.