u 14- or high school?

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

observer wrote:
I think my advice to parents of a 6 year old would be run away, run away, run away.
Please don't talk to any parents of children 6 years old or younger.
:lol: :lol:
royals dad

Post by royals dad »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote: And hockey IS an investment. Every dollar and minute you spend on or with your kids is an investment. The crazy only comes in to play if you expect the return on that investment to be D1, Team USA, Ms. Hockey.... If the return you are looking for is a good work ethic, balancing a school/sport/social life, being part of a team, and all the intangibles that come with this game we so love, then we as parents can choose to invest in hockey rather than or in addition to piano lessons, foreign exchange travel, community theater.
Nevertoomuchhockey wrote: I wonder if I can take out a hockey equity loan to pay for OS Prospects and Futures, that I can guarantee to pay back in lieu of college tuition when dd gets the big scholarship?
The process isn't nearly as intimidating as the costs."
"Hell, Ricky, I was high when I said that! That makes no sense at all! "First or last"! I mean, you could be second, third, fourth--hell, you could even be fifth!" Talladega Nights

I realize there was sarcasm in your post about the loan, but in reality for many families there is a push to live beyond there means, ever drive through a neighborhood of 10 year old higher end homes that don't have decks on the back. Not that much different then the parking lot at a prospects weekend where people are driving 10 year old cars with bad tires. Trust me I have been through the process and I know how hard it is to say no when you have a daughter that plays at a high level. I am not saying your doing anything wrong or that you even have much choice, you may have to do all of it USA Hockey, OS/Whitecaps, Prospects/Futures, HS Elites, MN Made, Beantown, dryland, out of town tourneys...paying whatever they ask and giving up what ever time your scheduled to. I don't remember many girls who have gone D1 the last few years who did not do most of that stuff. You might even end up loving the hockey lifestyle and your summer team cohorts so much your still going to Beantown and Naha years after your kid is out of the house. I just don't know if I would want to sell middle class families into the sport, god forbid if your kid gets good and loves it because you will be in it for over 100 grand before your done and there is no guarantee that your still not taking loans for them to go to St. Thomas or Eau Claire.

We use pull tab money to give hockey away to kids in my community, we recruit in the schools, we have our players walk in parades, we show off all the kids who played for team USA or post high school. Yet every year it seems like it is a harder and harder sell in middle income communities. While our upper income neighbors over here in the western suburbs are having to add more sheets and training facilities. We have always been an expensive sport, always but we are moving more towards the rest of the country where at least at the high level it is a country club sport.
BluehawkHockey

Post by BluehawkHockey »

royals dad wrote: I realize there was sarcasm in your post about the loan, but in reality for many families there is a push to live beyond there means, ever drive through a neighborhood of 10 year old higher end homes that don't have decks on the back. Not that much different then the parking lot at a prospects weekend where people are driving 10 year old cars with bad tires. Trust me I have been through the process and I know how hard it is to say no when you have a daughter that plays at a high level. I am not saying your doing anything wrong or that you even have much choice, you may have to do all of it USA Hockey, OS/Whitecaps, Prospects/Futures, HS Elites, MN Made, Beantown, dryland, out of town tourneys...paying whatever they ask and giving up what ever time your scheduled to. I don't remember many girls who have gone D1 the last few years who did not do most of that stuff. You might even end up loving the hockey lifestyle and your summer team cohorts so much your still going to Beantown and Naha years after your kid is out of the house. I just don't know if I would want to sell middle class families into the sport, god forbid if your kid gets good and loves it because you will be in it for over 100 grand before your done and there is no guarantee that your still not taking loans for them to go to St. Thomas or Eau Claire.
I know parents feel like they have to do it all. They don't. Parents can choose. Realize, many of the same college coaches that are going to see your daughter at Prospects, OS, USA Hockey, Beantown, Naha, etc. Sure there are some changes from 1 event to another but not enough to make any difference in your daughters future.

My daughter is going to realize her dream of playing D1 hockey. We choose to not go to many of these events. She put her effort into finding schools she was interested in attending because they have the education program she wants. She then made sure those coaches knew she was interested in their school and program and when/where they could see her play. It has made a huge difference for her.

Just because you have attended every one of these events, doesn't mean you will get a D1 offer. It may be to your disadvantage to be seen all those times. Does your daughter's youth, summer, hs coach have the connections to help her out? Does her coach even want to help her out or are there several other girls better than her that the coach would rather help?

As an aside, be careful of some of the things you buy into. Winny used to promise she would get every girl in her program a D1 scholarship. With all those teams and players, she would have to so up every D1 scholarship every year to make it happen. We know that isn't going to happen. If your daughter isn't 1st/2nd line on her team attending some of these events, you are essentially just helping the other girls get looks and offers. Just because some, maybe many, other girls have gotten D1 offers and did all this stuff, doesn't mean it is the only way or even the best way.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

U14/BAA/or highschool [goalie]
observer

Post by observer »

If the U14 team is decent and she's an important piece stay with her lifelong team mates.
zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver »

old goalie85 wrote:U14/BAA/or highschool [goalie]
What do you think?
titleist

Post by titleist »

zambonidriver wrote:
old goalie85 wrote:U14/BAA/or highschool [goalie]
What do you think?
Lots of factors here to consider....Who offers the best goalie coach? How often will they see a goalie coach? Where will they see the best shots everyday? Will the team they play for accept your kid? (Sometimes Boys are not always great team mates for a girl...and same goes with a group of girls, if she isn't in with the "in" crowd)

Do not pigeon hole your kid to the most successful team...put them on a team that will help them develop their skills the best. If the best team has no coaching for your kid, how will your kid grow as a player?
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Highschool coaches are very good. Senior goalie will start.[very good] 14's will be good.[2 girls will play varsity] imho. BAA team should be good lot of 2nd year boys. 6 retuners from region team last year. Don't know your daughter but FL will wecome her wherever she ends up. \:D/
Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan »

Titelist is correct in his/her assessment. I would add that overall, if you want to see skill development, put your kid in the net against the highest quality shots possible, all the time. The better the shots in frequency, the better the development. Most College coaches will tell you that...
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Titleist is also correct in his assessment of a kid fitting in with the others on the team. OG will not be in the locker room to welcome her every day. The girls that have grown up as best friends since kindergarten with the other goalies will be in the locker room, and one of those best friends will not. I completely understand the approach that you act professionally and do what's best for the team, except these are 13 year old girls, and others prefer the approach of working hard, contributing and sacrificing for team and association year after year after year, and being rewarded for that loyalty to friends, family and community.
Mavs

Post by Mavs »

Hard water fan wrote:Titelist is correct in his/her assessment. I would add that overall, if you want to see skill development, put your kid in the net against the highest quality shots possible, all the time. The better the shots in frequency, the better the development. Most College coaches will tell you that...
I put my 8 year old goalie in AA Bantams to get the best shots and develop, however he let in 32 goals in one game, ruined his confidence and wants to play basketball now. :wink:
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

12 th grade girls talk about things 8th graders don't. I don't think D2 allows kids to play on top teams if they waive in. So she couldn't even be on the top14 or 15 team . Let alone our BAA team. Can someone confirm this ??
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

Bantam AA won't be an option...Also, not sure, but i don't remember FL having a 14U team last year..Plus, this seems like a lot of bouncing around...
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

We will have a 15 team maybe two.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

12 th grade girls talk about things 8th graders don't.
However, last year in the Forest Lake locker room, it looks like she would have had 6 other 8th graders and a 7th grader to talk to.
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

The FL move in is better right now then all the goalies from u15 to varsity. Will be interesting to see how this all unfolds. This is just the Wolfmans opinion. I would bet FL HS coaches go with kids they have and the move in will have to wait one more year to play varsity. One would think the dad and varsity coach have talked but im just speculating.
zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver »

wolfman wrote:The FL move in is better right now then all the goalies from u15 to varsity. Will be interesting to see how this all unfolds. This is just the Wolfmans opinion. I would bet FL HS coaches go with kids they have and the move in will have to wait one more year to play varsity. One would think the dad and varsity coach have talked but im just speculating.
The dad and the varsity coach have been in communication
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

I'm sure the parents of the 4 returning high school goalies and the 2 goalies from the state championship 12U team will be communicating, as well.
MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter »

Deleted.
Last edited by MN_Bowhunter on Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hockeywild7

Post by hockeywild7 »

Only school I know of that doesn't allow 8th graders on the East side is Stillwater and that is no longer the case. You can tryout if you are an 8th grader this season.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I hope it works out well for everyone. :roll:
Mavs

Post by Mavs »

hockeywild7 wrote:Only school I know of that doesn't allow 8th graders on the East side is Stillwater and that is no longer the case. You can tryout if you are an 8th grader this season.
I think 8th graders can (and always have been able to) try out for the high school team at any high school other than a school like Cretin that doesn't start school until 9th grade. The rule many schools have had is not allowing 8th graders to play JV, only varsity. There are many schools that have this rule or policy. Did this rule recently change or did you just hear someone is tryout out? If you just heard someone is trying out, then I doubt anything change with the rule.
zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver »

Mavs wrote:
hockeywild7 wrote:Only school I know of that doesn't allow 8th graders on the East side is Stillwater and that is no longer the case. You can tryout if you are an 8th grader this season.
I think 8th graders can (and always have been able to) try out for the high school team at any high school other than a school like Cretin that doesn't start school until 9th grade. The rule many schools have had is not allowing 8th graders to play JV, only varsity. There are many schools that have this rule or policy. Did this rule recently change or did you just hear someone is tryout out? If you just heard someone is trying out, then I doubt anything change with the rule.
8th graders can tryout in Stillwater but must make varsity or go to u 14
hockeywild7

Post by hockeywild7 »

Yes you are right, that was the policy for Stillwater the past couple of seasons. Trying to be inline with all the other schools in the SEC that have allowed 8th and some 7th on JV. Only ones who didn't allow 8th graders on JV was Stillwater and Cretin. All others have allowed them to play JV. Not saying they will be adding any, I have no idea, just saying all conference schools will have same policy.
Mavs

Post by Mavs »

hockeywild7 wrote:Yes you are right, that was the policy for Stillwater the past couple of seasons. Trying to be inline with all the other schools in the SEC that have allowed 8th and some 7th on JV. Only ones who didn't allow 8th graders on JV was Stillwater and Cretin. All others have allowed them to play JV. Not saying they will be adding any, I have no idea, just saying all conference schools will have same policy.
Interesting.

Where did you hear this? You are saying its official or they are talking about it? Is this a Stillwater new rule or is there some kind of a "conference" rule being put into place?

How about other conferences?