Mavs

PeeWee Challenge

Post by Mavs » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:20 pm

Who looks good?

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:54 am

goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:28 am

Tony Scott's pocket book looked pretty good.

DrGaf

Post by DrGaf » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:07 am

goaliedad31 wrote:Tony Scott's pocket book looked pretty good.
You're right. All hockey should be free. F* the entrepreneur spirit.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.

jg2112

Re: PeeWee Challenge

Post by jg2112 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:15 am

Mavs wrote:Who looks good?
Looks like Vivien Jungels had a good weekend. Not surprising - she was one of the 3 or 4 6th grade girls (along with McKenzie Rich, Sara Kaiser, etc.) in the Challenge.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:20 am

jg2112 wrote:
Looks like Vivien Jungels had a good weekend. Not surprising - she was one of the 3 or 4 6th grade girls (along with McKenzie Rich, Sara Kaiser, etc.) in the Challenge.
She must be the real deal. I know she played U12A last year as a 5th grader and wins the Pee Wee Challenge MVP as a 6th grader.

I was told she was the best U10A player in the state two years ago as a 4th grader.

The Edina 12A team this year should be loaded along with Andover. I imagine the usual suspects like Minnetonka, Wayzata, Stillwater, Forest Lake, etc will be top teams as well.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:47 am

Mavs wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
She must be the real deal. I know she played U12A last year as a 5th grader and wins the Pee Wee Challenge MVP as a 6th grader.

I was told she was the best U10A player in the state two years ago as a 4th grader.

The Edina 12A team this year should be loaded along with Andover. I imagine the usual suspects like Minnetonka, Wayzata, Stillwater, Forest Lake, etc will be top teams as well.
Agreed on Jungels. She's also played on the 2002 Machine Orange the past few years. Her father is one of the coaches. She's a brilliant player.

I think the teams you mentioned are the teams to beat. I'd put Edina's top team, Minnetonka, Andover and Forest Lake as the top teams.

A team I think could surprise is NE Metro. They were one goal from state last year, and their link with Hill-Murray is bringing them 3-4 strong new players to their association. They could make it to State this season.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:19 pm

jg2112 wrote:
Mavs wrote:
jg2112 wrote:

Agreed on Jungels. She's also played on the 2002 Machine Orange the past few years. Her father is one of the coaches. She's a brilliant player.

I think the teams you mentioned are the teams to beat. I'd put Edina's top team, Minnetonka, Andover and Forest Lake as the top teams.

A team I think could surprise is NE Metro. They were one goal from state last year, and their link with Hill-Murray is bringing them 3-4 strong new players to their association. They could make it to State this season.
Goal tending really comes into play at the U12A level, much more than U10A because these kids can really shoot. You take a team like St. Paul last year that was probably not a top 15 team with mediocre goal tending but with top end goal tending, they are a top 5 type team. Stillwater last year and Minneapolis the year before were top 5 teams if they had goal tending but they didn't and when they faced teams that would play with them they didn't have a shot due to goal tending. Mpls could have won state two years ago but when you give up 2 soft ones a game and save % is like 70, its hard to compete vs the blue chip teams.

Forest Lake returns one of their two goalies, which is huge. I think the Pee Wee Challenge All-Tourney goalie was from Minnetonka and Edina always seems to have one with their crazy depth.

Not sure about Andover's goalie. They had quite a few kids waive into Andover last year or move in with their already top end talent so they should be either #1 or #2 with Edina.

NE Metro, that is always interesting as you never know who ends up over there as its not really Tartan/North St Paul but rather Tartan/NSP/Hill Murray

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:10 pm

goaliedad31 wrote:Tony Scott's pocket book looked pretty good.
I'm sure it does and if you wanted to go through all the work to put on a great event, people would be willing to pay you as well.

The people I talked to this year and last absolutely love it. Its not East, West, North and South so you get Edina kids playing with Stillwater kids and Duluth kids playing with Rochester kids.

I think the draft concept is pretty cool and a great way to meet new friends and play high end hockey. Most people say they wish they could play this kind of competition and talent level every week.

Sure, its a money maker but its not any more expensive than most other All-Start games and the jersey, competition and memories are worth it to most.

The only complaint I heard was last year the coaches from one of the teams were shortening the bench, which you simply can't do in these All-Star game when everyone pays the same money and should play the same.

Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:03 am

Mavs wrote:
jg2112 wrote:

I was told she was the best U10A player in the state two years ago as a 4th grader...
I remember playing against her. She was scary and shot the puck from any and everywhere (plenty of goals from 40+ feet out) -- this year she might be less dominant as goalies get better -- we'll see.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:19 am

Snap Happy wrote:
Mavs wrote:
jg2112 wrote:

I was told she was the best U10A player in the state two years ago as a 4th grader...
I remember playing against her. She was scary and shot the puck from any and everywhere (plenty of goals from 40+ feet out) -- this year she might be less dominant as goalies get better -- we'll see.
Saw her this summer very skilled. Has to grow she is easily bumped off the puck.

HockeyDude20

Post by HockeyDude20 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:29 pm

Zambonidriver, that may happen to V. Jungels every now and again seeing as she's an 11 year old playing against 14 and 15 year olds this summer. Is it impossible for you to give a compliment to a player (that's not your daughter or on your daughters team) without following it up with some underhanded comment? Unreal....

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:18 am

HockeyDude20 wrote:Zambonidriver, that may happen to V. Jungels every now and again seeing as she's an 11 year old playing against 14 and 15 year olds this summer. Is it impossible for you to give a compliment to a player (that's not your daughter or on your daughters team) without following it up with some underhanded comment? Unreal....
Not really Just my opinion Did I not say she was very skilled.

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:19 am

Zambonidriver, what is the old saying? "Opinions are like A-holes, everybody has one!" Doesn't mean you have to be one. Read HD20's post again and maybe the light bulb will come on. I have read a lot of your post and HD20 is spot on, unless it is a certain goalie, any compliment you offer up, is quickly followed by a not so subtle shot at the player. Are you that insecure?

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:42 am

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:Zambonidriver, what is the old saying? "Opinions are like A-holes, everybody has one!" Doesn't mean you have to be one. Read HD20's post again and maybe the light bulb will come on. I have read a lot of your post and HD20 is spot on, unless it is a certain goalie, any compliment you offer up, is quickly followed by a not so subtle shot at the player. Are you that insecure?
Ok I apologize sorry Lesson Learned.

Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:43 am

People are uptight... tryouts must be on the horizon :P

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:08 am

That may be it! It is not hard to pick apart a youth players game, in fact, it is pretty easy. What is hard "for some" is to remove themselves from the situation and just appreciate the effort the players put in.

Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:20 am

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:That may be it! It is not hard to pick apart a youth players game, in fact, it is pretty easy. What is hard "for some" is to remove themselves from the situation and just appreciate the effort the players put in.
Heck we can even pick apart players at the NHL level. She is a great player in a lot of ways. But I think what sets her apart is her confidence!