Development?

Discussion of AAA Hockey

Moderator: Mitch Hawker

hockeymomtomany

Development?

Post by hockeymomtomany » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:42 pm

Just to get a conversation started in regards to AAA hockey, in your opinion what is more important for development? If you had to choose one or the other.

1. A kid being the best player on the team? Meaning they have the puck a lot, score a lot of goals, not pushed that much but is a leader?

Or

2. A kid playing with like skilled players/ better players? At a faster speed, being pushed more, and not scoring as many goals but playing with kids that can play with him/her?[/u]

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:42 pm

Option 2. Provided the other players aer similar skilled like you stated. All day long.

57special

Post by 57special » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:28 pm

Alternating between both can be good. Being "the man" can be a great experience, as everyone is going after you, and it is good experience dealing with the pressure involved in having to bring it every night in order for your team to do well.

Having said that, if i had to make a choice for development between the two it would be to play with better players, assuming that the player isn't playing too far over his head. Being the worst player on a team can be a miserable experience, especially if he doesn't have the athletic ability to compete(size, speed, strength, coordination).

Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:46 pm

I would choose option 2 as well. Always better to be challenged and have to work for what you get, provided, as 57 said, that they aren't too far over their head. That can be counterproductive.

boomerang

Post by boomerang » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:42 pm

I think it can also depend on the player. My own son tends to improve the most when he's in the bottom half skill wise, but a winter team mate tends to improve more when he's one of the top few.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:39 pm

Oh, that was a real question.

boomerang

Post by boomerang » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:27 am

Honestly, the best money I ever spent was on a personal trainer that knew little about hockey and just focused on agility and endurance. My kid improved the most the summer he did that and only did the cheapest AAA team just to get a few games in for fun.

JSR

Re: Development?

Post by JSR » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:34 am

hockeymomtomany wrote:Just to get a conversation started in regards to AAA hockey, in your opinion what is more important for development? If you had to choose one or the other.

1. A kid being the best player on the team? Meaning they have the puck a lot, score a lot of goals, not pushed that much but is a leader?

Or

2. A kid playing with like skilled players/ better players? At a faster speed, being pushed more, and not scoring as many goals but playing with kids that can play with him/her?[/u]
Depends on the exact situation. If the kid is on the third or fourth line of Option 2 and is struggling just to keep up and it kills his confidence then Option 1 is the answer all day long. If he is right in the thick of things and gets special teams play and solid playing time and it does not effect his confidence then Option 2 all day long. Finding the right watermark for the individual player is the key.

legalbeagle05

Post by legalbeagle05 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:17 pm

What JSR said, x 1000.

My kid soars when she can get her groove on and score once in a blue moonl. But when she's in the bottom of the heap, she gets Eyore-like and thinks she is the worst player in the world.

I hate to throw this in there, too, but it can also depend on the team. One team might really boost your kid along and they all might thrive on each others' talents. Another team might all be space cadets who are in their own worlds.

Multiple kids? Each kid has their own brain, own style of play, and own confidence level. Consider each kid individually and go with your gut.