Big Games and Your Predictions - Week 2

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:40 pm

Breck 6, Warroad 7
No game stats reported as yet.

An upset according to our experts - even The Bone. Only 4 of 30 thought the home team would win, and once again, nobody guessed the score.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:18 pm

In our final Friday night Big Game it was:

Eden Prairie 2, Blake 2 (OT)
In what must have been a very exciting game, No. 5AA Eden Prairie and No. 1A Blake battled to a 2-2 overtime tie at Blake School Ice Arena. In the second period the teams alternated goals: first Blake's Sylvie Wallin, then EP's Crystalyn Hengler on the power play, then Blake's Sylvie Wallin again - this time on the power play. Then finally in the 3rd period it was again EP's Crystalyn Hengler - and yet again on the power play. Three players had two assists each: Naomi Rogge and Kate Rydland for the Eagles, and Sara McClanahan for the Bears.

It's become sort of a familiar story: only one prognosticator predicting a tie, with that one also getting the score right. This time it was MN_Bowhunter's turn to pick up two points on everyone else. And in the process MN_Bowhunter makes Week 2 a game, closing the gap to just one behind still No. 1 "The Bone":

1. The Bone - 12 points

2. MN_Bowhunter - 11

3. Bardown96 - 9
panpan111 - 9
MNHockeyFan - 9 (might have to start predicting a tie in more games)
easthockeydad - 9

7. THEBUCKSTOPSHERE - 8
36Guy - 8
clutterbucket - 8
u12dad - 8
hugo_lucas - 8
hockeybozo - 8
massalsa - 8
mnhockey3535 - 8
hockeyfan87 - 8
MIYY4U - 8
READYtoPLAY - 8

18. Five with 7

23. Four with 6

27. One with 5

28. Two with 4

30. One with 2 :roll:

Final two games for Week 2 are tomorrow night. Can The Bone hold on for the win???

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:35 pm

Also want to add that there was again another game played this evening that should have been included in this week's Big Games. This time it was Roseau vs. Edina, which ended up 4-1 Hornets.

To give all participants as much time as possible to get their picks in each week, I've chosen which games are to be included as soon as possible, usually Saturday night or Sunday morning. It seems as if a few games this year, including this week's Roseau/Edina matchup, have been added to The Hub's schedule too late to be included. Probably not a huge deal for most, but I did want to point this out as for sure I am not purposely overlooking anybody! One would think that all the teams' schedules are set way in advance, and accurately included on The Hub, but apparently this is not always the case.

So, if anyone notices a game or two that I may have missed - according to the usual criteria - please add a post (or send me a pm) ASAP letting me know. If it's not too late I will then add it to that week's list of games.

Thanks to all -
MNHockeyFan

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:04 am

Congrats to the Warroad team who must be waking up with big smiles this morning

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:30 am

MNHockeyFan wrote:Also want to add that there was again another game played this evening that should have been included in this week's Big Games. This time it was Roseau vs. Edina, which ended up 4-1 Hornets.
Two other games being played today that were apparently added late to the Hub:

#3AA Edina @ #5A Warroad (1:00pm)
#7AA Maple Grove @ #6AA Blaine (3:00pm)

Too bad, both are good matchups.

Just for fun, I'll go with 5-3 and 4-2 respectively.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:37 am

Also, as an fyi, I will be gone and away from my computer this afternoon and evening, so today's games and this week's final standings won't be updated until around 10:00pm.

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:54 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:Also want to add that there was again another game played this evening that should have been included in this week's Big Games. This time it was Roseau vs. Edina, which ended up 4-1 Hornets.
Two other games being played today that were apparently added late to the Hub:

#3AA Edina @ #5A Warroad (1:00pm)
#7AA Maple Grove @ #6AA Blaine (3:00pm)

Too bad, both are good matchups.

Just for fun, I'll go with 5-3 and 4-2 respectively.
Aren't Maple Grove and Blaine now in the same section? Could be a Section final preview...

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:24 pm

Final two Big Games this week:

Breck 9, Roseau 1
The Mustangs must have found extra motivation following their 6-7 loss to Warroad last night and decided to take it out on the Rams. Future Gopher Grace Zumwinkle led the way with 4 goals and an assist, while older sister Anna and Kendall Williamson each scored twice.

In our contest 23 of 30 picked Breck to win, but the closest anyone came to getting the score right was 6-1.

Cretin-Derham Hall 4, Stillwater 1
The Raiders got balanced scoring from four different players, and their goaltender Kaelie Smith stopped 23 of 24 shots to get the win.

Similar to the first game 22 of 30 picked the winner, but this time we had one - hugo_lucas - also predicting the score, which was enough to move him into a tie for 3rd Place.

BUT, on the final day no one was able to catch our Week 2 Champion, The Bone, who hung onto to 1st Place despite missing the CDH/Stillwater game. CONGRATS!

Congratulations also goes to MN_Bowhunter, who also missed the same game but was still able to finish "all alone" in 2nd.

1. The Bone - 13 points

2. MN_Bowhunter - 12

3. hugo_lucas - 11
panpan111 - 11
MNHockeyFan - 11

6. 36Guy - 10
clutterbucket - 10
Bardown96 - 10
hockeybozo - 10
massalsa - 10
easthockeydad - 10
READYtoPLAY - 10

13. THEBUCKSTOPSHERE - 9
Knight7 - 9
u12dad - 9
puckdreams - 9
mnhockey3535 - 9
sinbin - 9
hockeyfan87 - 9
MIYY4U - 9

21. Five with 8

26. One with 7

27. Two with 6

29. One with 5

30. One with 3 (proving once again that the names here are not always accurate) ;)

Again congrats to The Bone, and the rest of us mere mortals can look forward to the posting of Week 3 tomorrow morning.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:40 pm

Sparlimb wrote:Aren't Maple Grove and Blaine now in the same section? Could be a Section final preview...
Very well could be, but at the end Centennial may have something to say about that.

Good page to bookmark:

http://www.minnesota-scores.net./classs ... 10&class=3