Unbelievable Scores

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

4on5again

Unbelievable Scores

Post by 4on5again » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:03 pm

This year I've graduated from following the Youth HH and now checking stats on MN High School Hockey Hub. Wow, was I surprised to see some of the scores that come back from some of the outer regions of the state. I didn't take the time to look at previous years, but my question is:is it normal for teams to blow out others 14-3 and 12-0 on a regular basis? One game has a player accumulating 8 or 9 points in one game.
When one looks at stats like this, you can only assume that the game was horrifying and wonder why this is even possible. Not to take anything away from either team, but these stats just cannot mean a thing at all. Please understand I'm not saying that it only should count if the big schools are playing, or that big wins shouldn't occur. I just cannot imagine being on either side of these lopsided games, and there should be a way to spare these young players the agony of these match ups.

notTONIGHT

Re: Unbelievable Scores

Post by notTONIGHT » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:10 pm

4on5again wrote:This year I've graduated from following the Youth HH and now checking stats on MN High School Hockey Hub. Wow, was I surprised to see some of the scores that come back from some of the outer regions of the state. I didn't take the time to look at previous years, but my question is:is it normal for teams to blow out others 14-3 and 12-0 on a regular basis? One game has a player accumulating 8 or 9 points in one game.
When one looks at stats like this, you can only assume that the game was horrifying and wonder why this is even possible. Not to take anything away from either team, but these stats just cannot mean a thing at all. Please understand I'm not saying that it only should count if the big schools are playing, or that big wins shouldn't occur. I just cannot imagine being on either side of these lopsided games, and there should be a way to spare these young players the agony of these match ups.

IN the 14-3 game, a member of the losing team scored and shot pretend arrows into the home crowd. The game is changing. Shots were like 40-5 at that time. I imagine that reinvigorated the winning team....

Video proof at 1:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCrYf2nKD9w

preferhockey

Post by preferhockey » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:35 pm

Not impressed scoring 14 goals. Play someone and then celebrate.

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:41 pm

preferhockey wrote:Not impressed scoring 14 goals. Play someone and then celebrate.
The kid who celly'd was on the losing team...which was the point of the post.

RRubberbeeskit

Post by RRubberbeeskit » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:17 pm

notTONIGHT wrote:
4on5again wrote:This year I've graduated from following the Youth HH and now checking stats on MN High School Hockey Hub. Wow, was I surprised to see some of the scores that come back from some of the outer regions of the state. I didn't take the time to look at previous years, but my question is:is it normal for teams to blow out others 14-3 and 12-0 on a regular basis? One game has a player accumulating 8 or 9 points in one game.

IN the 14-3 game, a member of the losing team scored and shot pretend arrows into the home crowd. The game is changing. Shots were like 40-5 at that time. I imagine that reinvigorated the winning team....

Video proof of how to top the stat list from the start!

It appears that only one arrow 🏹 hit the heart of notTONIGHT. No other wounded slanidraC have replied😂 ... Yet!

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:27 pm

RRubberbeeskit wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:

Video proof of how to top the stat list from the start!

It appears that only one arrow �� hit the heart of notTONIGHT. No other wounded slanidraC have replied�� ... Yet!

Count me down as a fan of celly's. His arrow was a dagger of excitement. I enjoyed it. However, I enjoyed the stomping that reigned down on him and his team after it more.

4on5again

Post by 4on5again » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:25 pm

notTONIGHT wrote:

Thanks for the youtube link. I watched the goals and cellies that followed for both sides. Wish I hadn't. Any true hockey fan in that arena would love to get that hour and a half of their life back. Not sure that the highlights showed anything of greatness. More like watching the beating of a very weak matchup. I'm somehow embarrassed for both teams.

I miss the days of when a player scored -and rather than make a fool of themselves, they would act like they've been there before. (Maybe even 8 or 9 times during that same game). Being humble is a lesson that will come hard for some of these athletes, and perhaps the next level will take care of that for the one or two who will get the chance. Taking one trip a year up to play a team like GR in their house, or a good northern boarder team could cure that humility problem as well. Bigger ponds, Bigger fish.

sorry I digressed... the point of the thread was to comment on the disturbing lopsided score, and how these 12-0 and 14-3 games are not indicative of true statewide high school contests, and certainly not comparative against other individual scoring leaders. Those type of beatings are rare in most corners of the hockey world.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:46 pm

Lopsided scores.....

A few years ago in an attempt to secure a full football schedule many conferences changed, some disbanded, some expanded. Other sports like hockey and wrestling weren't really considered, New Ulm was one of the few schools that spoke up as to the detriment it could cause in other sports. Football really drives athletic departments and their budgets in most schools so the moves made sense at a certain level. Conferences mandate scheduling to a large part and conference rules don't usually very from sport to sport a whole lot, this guarantees schools games and as such schools can have a good idea as to costs upfront which is a good thing budget wise.

A few years later the MSHSL went to district scheduling in football basically making all the conference changes unneeded and leaving some schools .....New Prague for example....really out in the cold.

There have always been lopsided scores but the changing of conferences has really exasperated the issue outside of playoffs.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:51 am

It's why the top point scorer each year comes from a class A team! :roll:

InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:01 am

notTONIGHT wrote:
preferhockey wrote:Not impressed scoring 14 goals. Play someone and then celebrate.
The kid who celly'd was on the losing team...which was the point of the post.
Is it because when #8 scored it was 3-1 in the FIRST period? That lets Luverne keep Nelson out there with 30 seconds left in a 13-3 game so he can score another goal?

Is this where Smedsrud plays with more intention on getting points? I thought you said that was the first period since they dont play much in the 3rd? I find that hard to believe by looking at the scoresheet.

Just say Luverne will try to run the score up this year, that is all.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:14 am

BodyShots wrote:
It's why the top point scorer each year comes from a class A team! :roll:
Kloos led state in scoring overall in 2012.

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:34 am

I remember when I was a senior we were scheduled to play this awful team that we knew we would beat by 10+ goals. Coach came to 3 of us seniors and asked if it would be ok if he healthy scratched us that night so that the younger players on the team would get more PT and the game would be closer. We flat out said no, that's not alright. We worked in practice every day just like everyone else, we played through the ranks of youth hockey for the last 12 years, we were on the back half of the season and we only had about a dozen games left in our high school careers. We wanted to play. Just because the other team sucked, that's not our fault. We ended up playing, and we destroyed the other team, and it was fun. Meaningless, we knew that, but fun.

Point is, players want to play. You can't expect the top players from Luverne, or any other school, to have to sit out entire periods of games just so the score doesn't get embarassing. My advise to the other team, parents of players of the other team, supporters of the other team, supporters of other schools in the conference or district, you just need to get better.

My advice to teams like Luverne, there are games you are locked into that you cannot avoid, I get that. The part of your schedule that is not locked in, start up the bus and hit the road from some better competition. If the school budget can't handle it, time for the boosters to step up. Don't put your players in a position where they have to feel bad about playing hard and doing their best, or even playing the game at all.

4on5again

Post by 4on5again » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:41 am

Initially, I was mostly inquiring about the quality of hockey in these blowouts and how often they occur. The last few posts bring up a couple of things about scoring titles and such...

It sounds like the "A" scoring champions have ruffled some feathers in the past with the scoring leader boards, etc. To be fair to the athletes on these lists, I think we can all say that these are elite players and the scouts are well aware of stat inflation.
Perhaps a one tier approach for scoring titles should be thrown out, and the Star trib HH should have "A" and "AA" scoring leaders separated. This might give some due credit to the big school leaders that are shadowed by gigantic small school stats. Just thinking out loud here. This isn't to put small schools in their place, but rather to better understand the stats that everyone sees published weekly.

Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:45 am

If the cards would still have the 3A coach of the year yet the score would of only been 6-3 the other night. Just saying Hillary?! :idea:

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:52 am

Let's have the top players in Luverne sit out the third period in 15 games this year.

Brilliant!

CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:04 am

4on5again wrote:Initially, I was mostly inquiring about the quality of hockey in these blowouts and how often they occur. The last few posts bring up a couple of things about scoring titles and such...

It sounds like the "A" scoring champions have ruffled some feathers in the past with the scoring leader boards, etc. To be fair to the athletes on these lists, I think we can all say that these are elite players and the scouts are well aware of stat inflation.
Perhaps a one tier approach for scoring titles should be thrown out, and the Star trib HH should have "A" and "AA" scoring leaders separated. This might give some due credit to the big school leaders that are shadowed by gigantic small school stats. Just thinking out loud here. This isn't to put small schools in their place, but rather to better understand the stats that everyone sees published weekly.
These blowouts will occur quite often in the Big South Conference games. Take a look on the Hub at the teams in this conference and scores of these games. Unfortunately, SW Minnesota is not a hotbed for hockey and the quality of play is very low for the most part. New Ulm vs Luverne will probably be the only games with decent quality and not a blowout score in this conference.

barry_mcconnell

Post by barry_mcconnell » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:08 am

My new mission in life: find the guy working that horn and let the air out of his tires.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:10 am

barry_mcconnell wrote:My new mission in life: find the guy working that horn and let the air out of his tires.
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:10 am

barry_mcconnell wrote:My new mission in life: find the guy working that horn and let the air out of his tires.

Don't look too hard chief.

Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:15 am

Sats81 wrote:
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sats did Stillwater have one?????

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:18 am

Whiner33 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lol. Come up to the metro sometime, lets have your HS, I mean Bantam B2 team take on LN. Put the cards on the receiving end of a 14-3 beatdown.

ROLL CARDS ROLL.

4on5again

Post by 4on5again » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:29 am

SCBlueLiner wrote:I remember when I was a senior we were scheduled to play this awful team that we knew we would beat by 10+ goals. Coach came to 3 of us seniors and asked if it would be ok if he healthy scratched us that night so that the younger players on the team would get more PT and the game would be closer. We flat out said no, that's not alright. We worked in practice every day just like everyone else, we played through the ranks of youth hockey for the last 12 years, we were on the back half of the season and we only had about a dozen games left in our high school careers. We wanted to play. Just because the other team sucked, that's not our fault. We ended up playing, and we destroyed the other team, and it was fun. Meaningless, we knew that, but fun.

Point is, players want to play. You can't expect the top players from Luverne, or any other school, to have to sit out entire periods of games just so the score doesn't get embarassing. My advise to the other team, parents of players of the other team, supporters of the other team, supporters of other schools in the conference or district, you just need to get better.

My advice to teams like Luverne, there are games you are locked into that you cannot avoid, I get that. The part of your schedule that is not locked in, start up the bus and hit the road from some better competition. If the school budget can't handle it, time for the boosters to step up. Don't put your players in a position where they have to feel bad about playing hard and doing their best, or even playing the game at all.
SCblueliner's comment is right, and players shouldn't feel guilty for working hard. We've all played against dogs in our schedules and need to know how to handle it. Just hold down the celly and be respectful when you route that team. At the same time, when a player scores while playing a giant, let them celebrate. Its better than taking runs at your superstar. Maybe the coach is part of this?
Nobody gets better in blowouts like these, and if this is a year after year thing, they might consider independent. What do they do at Duluth East?

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:31 am

4on5again wrote:
SCBlueLiner wrote:I remember when I was a senior we were scheduled to play this awful team that we knew we would beat by 10+ goals. Coach came to 3 of us seniors and asked if it would be ok if he healthy scratched us that night so that the younger players on the team would get more PT and the game would be closer. We flat out said no, that's not alright. We worked in practice every day just like everyone else, we played through the ranks of youth hockey for the last 12 years, we were on the back half of the season and we only had about a dozen games left in our high school careers. We wanted to play. Just because the other team sucked, that's not our fault. We ended up playing, and we destroyed the other team, and it was fun. Meaningless, we knew that, but fun.

SCblueliner's comment is right, and players shouldn't feel guilty for working hard. We've all played against dogs in our schedules and need to know how to handle it. Just hold down the celly and be respectful when you route that team. At the same time, when a player scores while playing a giant, let them celebrate. Its better than taking runs at your superstar. Maybe the coach is part of this?
Nobody gets better in blowouts like these, and if this is a year after year thing, they might consider independent. What do they do at Duluth East?
They schedule the best teams/competition possible. The way it should be done.

Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:31 am

Sats81 wrote:
Whiner33 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lol. Come up to the metro sometime, lets have your HS, I mean Bantam B2 team take on LN. Put the cards on the receiving end of a 14-3 beatdown.

ROLL CARDS ROLL.
After further discussion with notTONIGHT we would like to have you guys come down so you could hear the horn blow three times and the Marshall team could come down and laugh at the Cards like they did on Saturday night. Just a thought Sats?

edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:59 am

Sats81 wrote:
Whiner33 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROLL CARDS ROLL.
👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏