Biggest Hockey Associations

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

SCBlueLiner wrote:El Nino is in effect this year. Googled it to read up on it. Not looking good for cold weather (which I personally like). The good news is that some scientist are predicting another mini ice age to descend on us in the next 15 years. That should help the outdoor ice.

I like to ice fish. I like hockey. I like snow. Living up north it is better to embrace the season than to complain about it. This year stinks so far. Just doesn't feel like winter.
Yes. Could be two years in a row the snowmobiles sit idle. Friggen waste of money!
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Jackpinesavage wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
Section 8 guy wrote:I believe Moorhead has 4 Bantam teams, 5 PeeWee teams and 6 Squirt teams which I've been told are all firsts at each respective level for having that many teams.
This is almost the size of the Mounds View Irondale co-op and one more team at each level than Roseville. Well done Moorhead.
Moundsview has a pop of 12,000 New Brighton has about 22000- Moorhead has 40,000 plus pulls from Fargo (over 110,000) not to mention all the other towns in its immediate area. Moorhead with their tradition should have at least that amount, plus any kid with talent from a 50 mile radius ends up there too.
Moorhead does not draw from Fargo. Maybe an occasional kid who's parents work in Moorhead or some unusual circumstance.
50 miles away, that would be Fergus Falls, Detroit Lakes and East Grand Forks kids, so no.
Moorhead has a nice program of mostly Moorhead kids.
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

Somehow got this for the 2013-14 season total players

EDINA HOCKEY ASSOCIATION 1263
WAYZATA YOUTH HOCKEY ASSOCIATION +mites 1014
OSSEO/MAPLE GROVE HOCKEY ASSOCIATION +mites 1013
MINNETONKA 924
STILLWATER AREA HOCKEY ASSOCIATION 903
LAKEVILLE HOCKEY ASSOCIATION 862
WHITE BEAR LAKE HOCKEY & SKATING ASSOC 802
MINNEAPOLIS HOCKEY ASSOCIATION 732
ELK RIVER YOUTH HOCKEY ASSOCIATION 731
WOODBURY AREA HOCKEY CLUB 726
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

elliott70 wrote:
Jackpinesavage wrote:
jg2112 wrote: This is almost the size of the Mounds View Irondale co-op and one more team at each level than Roseville. Well done Moorhead.
Moundsview has a pop of 12,000 New Brighton has about 22000- Moorhead has 40,000 plus pulls from Fargo (over 110,000) not to mention all the other towns in its immediate area. Moorhead with their tradition should have at least that amount, plus any kid with talent from a 50 mile radius ends up there too.
Moorhead does not draw from Fargo. Maybe an occasional kid who's parents work in Moorhead or some unusual circumstance.
50 miles away, that would be Fergus Falls, Detroit Lakes and East Grand Forks kids, so no.
I was gonna say, Moorhead is on their own. Fargo has 3 organizations in it between FYHA, West Fargo, and Fargo Angels. FYHA fields quite a few teams of their own.
zooomx

Post by zooomx »

This link:

http://proximityone.com/mn_sdc.htm

Gives population data for each school district in the state, including breakdown of ages of the population.

I am curious if associations are fed primarily from the school district it is attached to?? For Alexandria, we show a school district population of 28,910, even though our official population is around 13,000 for the city of Alexandria.

Our under 14 population is around 4900, and we have 340 skaters.

Moorhead school district population is 39,882 and their under 14 population is around 6900. I am guessing their association size is closer to 500-6000?

Someone with more time could probably research this more, if school district population is a valid data point to consider. Interesting topic.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

zooomx wrote:This link:

http://proximityone.com/mn_sdc.htm

Gives population data for each school district in the state, including breakdown of ages of the population.

I am curious if associations are fed primarily from the school district it is attached to?? For Alexandria, we show a school district population of 28,910, even though our official population is around 13,000 for the city of Alexandria.

Our under 14 population is around 4900, and we have 340 skaters.

Moorhead school district population is 39,882 and their under 14 population is around 6900. I am guessing their association size is closer to 500-6000?

Someone with more time could probably research this more, if school district population is a valid data point to consider. Interesting topic.
It usually correlates, but unfortunately they don't break down demographics of massive school districts like Anoka-Hennepin which has five HS footprints.
Zoochu

Post by Zoochu »

There were talks about Osseo / Maple Grove splitting into 2 different associations but I wonder how many players Osseo would be left with as most of the players come from MG I think.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Zoochu wrote:There were talks about Osseo / Maple Grove splitting into 2 different associations but I wonder how many players Osseo would be left with as most of the players come from MG I think.
I think the plan was for Osseo to absorb all or part of North Metro and maintain their moniker.
Jackpinesavage

Post by Jackpinesavage »

elliott70 wrote:
Jackpinesavage wrote:
jg2112 wrote: This is almost the size of the Mounds View Irondale co-op and one more team at each level than Roseville. Well done Moorhead.
Right- like maybe a goalie that happens to have AA talent or maybe the best player from Fergus - u r right to say not many- just a few that happen to be really good
More power to them- they have earned the right with their tradition to be able to attract talent
yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey »

So did anyone find the numbers of the top 20 associations for the 2015-16 season
observer

Post by observer »

I thought the communications person at MN Hockey would put it out there. I think it would be healthy for association recruiting directors to see the list. Ultimately skater numbers are a very important measure for the associations. Recruiting is competition in the sense everyone is trying to grow their member numbers. More skaters and revenue always improves association health. Still time to work on your mite growth!