St. Louis Park Tournament

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Comments on a very long day of hockey:

Prior Lake-Elk River: The Lakers controlled much of the play, especially as the game went on, but they got burned for three goals (and a number of other times) on mistakes by the defense. They're just way too aggressive. After watching the Lakers play, I can see exactly why they got all those lopsided wins against lesser teams, and exactly why they'll struggle against those who do stay disciplined. Unless they pull out a win over Holy Family on Wednsday (and I wouldn't bet on it), they'll be dropping.

The Elks, meanwhile, just play smart, opportunistic hockey. Michaelis and Zerban have a good combination going on the top line, Meyers was sound in net, and they just don't make mistakes. They're not flashy, but right now, they have an evenness to their game that no one else in 7AA does. I'm curious to see what they do with Benilde and North the next couple days--that's not an easy road.

Maple Grove-Moorhead: Meh. Pretty flat game. Credit the Crimson for winning despite Sam Huff's absence. The Spuds...maybe next year.

Stillwater-Holy Family: For about one period, I thought Stillwater might be worth the hype. They were in control at the start, moving the puck very well and mixing in some physical play. But after the Ponies went up 2-0, Holy Family slowly took over and never looked back. I always thought #4 was a bit high (and having them at #2, as some did, was crazy), but felt I had to have them ahead of North since they'd beaten them and were undefeated. This loss frees me to drop them back down to where they belong, which is probably in the bottom half of the top ten. As with Prior Lake, I'm not sure their D was ready for the sustained pressure of a deep, disciplined team. Credit the Fire for wearing them down, and Anderson had a big game running things from the back end.

Benilde-Lakeville North: One of the most entertaining games you'll see all year. BSM was minus Mayer and Horton, which affected them. Austin was on the ice a ton, and by the 2nd period they'd moved Calengor back to D, which threw off their forward lines and really ran down the top line. They were clearly out of gas by the end, and North unleashed a barrage late in the 3rd and in OT, but somehow the Red Knights held up. It's a blemish on the perfect record, but really not a bad result considering the circumstances.

Poehling was huge for North. Their rebuilt D isn't flashy, but it wasn't bad at all. Eigner had some good saves but also some forgettable/lucky moments. Goaltending remains this team's Achilles Heel. Still, Stillwater's loss frees me to slide them into the top 4, which is where I think they belong.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

LN owned Bsm 3rd period +.....but that is the best LN can play, they should have won. They didn't. Finishing will undo this squad at state. And they will be there since they have the easiest ticket in of the 4 mentioned.
FadedRedLine

Post by FadedRedLine »

karl(east) wrote:Comments on a very long day of hockey:

Prior Lake-Elk River: The Lakers controlled much of the play, especially as the game went on, but they got burned for three goals (and a number of other times) on mistakes by the defense. They're just way too aggressive. After watching the Lakers play, I can see exactly why they got all those lopsided wins against lesser teams, and exactly why they'll struggle against those who do stay disciplined. Unless they pull out a win over Holy Family on Wednsday (and I wouldn't bet on it), they'll be dropping.

The Elks, meanwhile, just play smart, opportunistic hockey. Michaelis and Zerban have a good combination going on the top line, Meyers was sound in net, and they just don't make mistakes. They're not flashy, but right now, they have an evenness to their game that no one else in 7AA does. I'm curious to see what they do with Benilde and North the next couple days--that's not an easy road.

Maple Grove-Moorhead: Meh. Pretty flat game. Credit the Crimson for winning despite Sam Huff's absence. The Spuds...maybe next year.

Stillwater-Holy Family: For about one period, I thought Stillwater might be worth the hype. They were in control at the start, moving the puck very well and mixing in some physical play. But after the Ponies went up 2-0, Holy Family slowly took over and never looked back. I always thought #4 was a bit high (and having them at #2, as some did, was crazy), but felt I had to have them ahead of North since they'd beaten them and were undefeated. This loss frees me to drop them back down to where they belong, which is probably in the bottom half of the top ten. As with Prior Lake, I'm not sure their D was ready for the sustained pressure of a deep, disciplined team. Credit the Fire for wearing them down, and Anderson had a big game running things from the back end.

Benilde-Lakeville North: One of the most entertaining games you'll see all year. BSM was minus Mayer and Horton, which affected them. Austin was on the ice a ton, and by the 2nd period they'd moved Calengor back to D, which threw off their forward lines and really ran down the top line. They were clearly out of gas by the end, and North unleashed a barrage late in the 3rd and in OT, but somehow the Red Knights held up. It's a blemish on the perfect record, but really not a bad result considering the circumstances.

Poehling was huge for North. Their rebuilt D isn't flashy, but it wasn't bad at all. Eigner had some good saves but also some forgettable/lucky moments. Goaltending remains this team's Achilles Heel. Still, Stillwater's loss frees me to slide them into the top 4, which is where I think they belong.
- How long are Horton and Mayer out?
- Calengor to D a permanent deal?
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Was at the game and it really was entertaining. Not very familiar with BSM but for those in the know were the two missing players both D? The second half of the game BSM really struggled to get out of their own end and turned over way too many pucks deep in their own end. You could clearly see the fatigue setting in, Austin seemed to never leave the ice! BSM forwards were creative and dangerous but its tough to score from your own end. North looked solid, the Poehling kid was just a beast, He's a coaches dream.....unreal work ethic to go along with a great skill set. I know if I saw the best player on my team busting his A$$ like that every shift I'd leave it all out there too!
grillo

Post by grillo »

A couple of observations from the Stillwater-HF game. Karl, I agree 100% with your assessment of SW D corp. They are just average at this point. High end caliber teams will give them fits. Struggle at times to move the puck cleanly out of their D zone.

SW was up 2-0 and in the 2nd the HF goalie (sorry not sure of name as program did not list #'s) made 4 game saving saves in a very short time span. If that score becomes 3 or 4-0 game changes. SW forwards played very well in the HF d zone. Cycled well and kept puck in their end for extended time at points.

Back to back power plays for HF to start the 3rd period really changed the momentum. HF got fired up at that point and definitely began to exert themselves and took over most of the 3rd. Credit SW for scoring with their goalie pulled to make it interesting. Empty netter finished it.

SW has the front line players and goalie to compete with most anyone. Bottom top 10 is probably the right spot for them.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Is there going to be a stream again for the games today? Anyone know? Thanks
green4

Post by green4 »

Sats81 wrote:Is there going to be a stream again for the games today? Anyone know? Thanks
http://www.sportsauthorityhockeyclassic ... blank/cluw
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

green4 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:Is there going to be a stream again for the games today? Anyone know? Thanks
http://www.sportsauthorityhockeyclassic ... blank/cluw
Thanks buddy
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Mayer (BSM's top D) had "concussion-like symptoms" and is out for the tournament, but hopefully not for anything longer. Horton (2nd line forward) was out due to some sort of incident in their previous game, and I think will be back for today's.

I've seen a bunch of BSM's games so far, and the thing that's impressed me about them has been their chemistry and steadiness. But when they lost Mayer, who logs a ton of ice time along with Austin, they really got pressed in back. Calengor, a 2nd line forward, moved back to D to help out with depth there. Suddenly 2 of their 3 2nd line forwards were out, and one of the 3rd line forwards got moved to the 2nd. Their lines beyond the top one were discombobulated, and LN made them look ordinary. (Witness the discussion on the Wayzata thread for what mixing up lines like that can do to a team.) BSM doesn't have overwhelming talent, so when they lose that cohesion, they lose the edge that has made them #1 so far.

I usually think the team with the strongest D corps (and a passable offense) is the favorite for the title. This year, no one team really stands far above the rest, but with Mayer and Austin, BSM may have a slight edge. Subtract one of them and that edge goes away.

Also, yes, the lack of numbers on the program for HF was a bit ridiculous. It was Moe in goal for them, and he's been very good so far this year.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

All i have heard all year long was the great depth of BSM and how they have 4 solid lines. blah blah blah.

Pauly is the most overrated HS coach in the state.

Give some credit to LN. Couple bad bounces and the great BSM team isn't undefeated any longer. Won't be blown away if Giles and Hornets knock them off come playoff time. BSM is totally beatable.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Sats81 wrote:All i have heard all year long was the great depth of BSM and how they have 4 solid lines. blah blah blah.

Pauly is the most overrated HS coach in the state.

Give some credit to LN. Couple bad bounces and the great BSM team isn't undefeated any longer. Won't be blown away if Giles and Hornets knock them off come playoff time. BSM is totally beatable.
Maybe today? Tough task for ER though, BSM has handled them in the past and in scrimmages. What the heck, let's go with the upset and setup the showdown with LN.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Sats81 wrote: Won't be blown away if Giles and Hornets knock them off come playoff time. BSM is totally beatable.
Oh, I wouldn't dispute any of that at all. I've been fairly skeptical of whether they'll last in many of my comments; there was a reason they weren't top 5 preseason, and I never doubted that LN had more raw talent. But BSM has been beating a bunch of good teams, and we need explanations for why they're doing that, so...

Also, undefeated means "zero losses," so they are still undefeated, even if they're not unblemished.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Stillwater easily won the noon game against Maple Grove

Holy Family came to play today, ahead of LVN 3 to 0 after second.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fire goes on to win it 4 to 2, their second straight win over a top 10 team, will have to be thinking about moving them from bottom top 10 to middle top 10.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Has been a great tourney to watch so far. Great to see Holy Family with 2 wins vs Top 10 teams.

Last nights game with BSM and North was very exciting to watch as well!
Bluelightspecial-II

Post by Bluelightspecial-II »

WestMetro wrote:Stillwater easily won the noon game against Maple Grove

Holy Family came to play today, ahead of LVN 3 to 0 after second.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fire goes on to win it 4 to 2, their second straight win over a top 10 team, will have to be thinking about moving them from bottom top 10 to middle top 10.
Where does this put North?
Bluelightspecial-II

Post by Bluelightspecial-II »

Sats81 wrote:LN and BSM play to a 4-4 tie. LN really pushed the pace in 3rd period and OT. Ryan Poehling could be best player in MN.

I have now seen every team in Karl's top 15 play at least once and I will say this, I think its a 4 team race to win state between BSM, Lakeville North, Blaine and EP. We will see what happens the rest of this week in St Louis Park and Schwans but those 4 teams are upper echelon and I think Edina, STA, Bemidji, Elk River, Stillwater, Grand Rapids and the rest are playing for 2nd....none of those second echelon teams have what it takes to win 6 straight and the offense skill and firepower that BSM, Blaine, EP and Lakeville North have is tough to match. Hope I don't eat my words with LN playing Holy Family and Elk River this week!
Hope you're hungry. 😀
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Bluelightspecial-II wrote:
Sats81 wrote:LN and BSM play to a 4-4 tie. LN really pushed the pace in 3rd period and OT. Ryan Poehling could be best player in MN.

I have now seen every team in Karl's top 15 play at least once and I will say this, I think its a 4 team race to win state between BSM, Lakeville North, Blaine and EP. We will see what happens the rest of this week in St Louis Park and Schwans but those 4 teams are upper echelon and I think Edina, STA, Bemidji, Elk River, Stillwater, Grand Rapids and the rest are playing for 2nd....none of those second echelon teams have what it takes to win 6 straight and the offense skill and firepower that BSM, Blaine, EP and Lakeville North have is tough to match. Hope I don't eat my words with LN playing Holy Family and Elk River this week!
Hope you're hungry. 😀

Feed me!

Hats of to HF. Looked really good today. Garin is a nice looking player and their goalie was sharp. They were better team today.
green4

Post by green4 »

1-1 after two periods between Elk and Benilde. I just started watching the last half of the 2nd, but it has been all ER since I turned it on. Had some real close chances at the end of the period.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Elks tied 1 to 1 with Bsm after 2nd
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Bsm goes ahead 2 to 1 with 7 remaining
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Make that 3 to 1 with 6 remaining
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Elks close gap to 1 with 2 min to play
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Bsm hangs on to win
buttend

Post by buttend »

Today, Ryan looked average! Our Def and Goaltending was exposed for what it is, average as well!
HockeyonFire

Holy Family Rise to Power

Post by HockeyonFire »

Holy Family completely took away Ryan Poehling in this game. He finally was noticed when he scored with 5 seconds left in the game. HF is on Fire and are clearly a top-5 team after both their wins. Meanwhile a Prior Lake team that a ton of people believed to be top-10 are losing 1-0 to 4-5 Moorhead after 2 periods....

1. BSM
2. Blaine
3. EP
4. Edina (assuming they win against Tonka)
5. Holy Family 9-3 (wins against Stillwater, LN, STA, Tonka)
6. LN
7. Stillwater
8. Bemidji
9. Elk River
10. Hill-Murray
11. Wayzata
12. Grand Rapids
13. Minnetonka
14. STA
15. Anoka
PL, Cent, and a bunch of others