@COHSHockeyPod 01/10/2016 Karl(east), YHH & GRHSHockey

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

SquirtC'00

@COHSHockeyPod 01/10/2016 Karl(east), YHH & GRHSHockey

Post by SquirtC'00 »

This week’s show we add another guest to the mix as Tim How from GRHS Hockey Online joins Tony and I to break down the week in recap. We discuss in detail the Duluth East/Grand Rapids game and Northern hockey culture. Karl(east) then joins to discuss the games of the week as well as some players that are not getting as much attention. We try are hand at some more apologies and review our predictions from last week as well as make more for this week. Follow us on Twitter @cohshockeypod for live stats and updates from games. Thanks for listening.

https://audioboom.com/boos/4047237-1-10 ... ey-podcast
HSPuckFan

Post by HSPuckFan »

Solid show.The Tufte question at the end (AA players that had to carry a team) got me thinking,I don't know why but the first name to come to mind was Matt Limback of Rochester Mayo.I seem to remember him almost singlehandedly carrying Mayo to the AA title game in 95 i think it was,They lost to Moorhead in OT in the semifinals.
Go Zephyrs
gopherman23

Post by gopherman23 »

Notermann is criminally underrated. Tufte certainly helps make Blaine a legit contender and due to his size and skill, projects better going forward, but Notermann is just as important to that Blaine team. Watched the Blaine/WBL game a couple weeks ago. Notermann looked like the best player on the ice. Watched the Blaine/MG game on Sat. Notermann had a hatty with a couple of absolutely filthy snipes. All the kid does is produce.
boblee

Post by boblee »

Thanks for having me on, fellas!
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Good weekly show.

I had seen the BSM/STA, GR/DE , and EP/DE games. Thought the discussion covered the games very well. Duluth East still seems to be a mystery, no one seems to be able to explain why the Hounds record is what it is, but everyone thinks they will be around come time for Section 7 playoffs.

Tony, good point about Mahtomedi being underreported in light of their win over STA, especially the performance of goalie Will Swanson

Love the apologies segment as a weekly item, but TS - no fair asking for apologies to yourself

In terms of discussion about underreported players,

o Agree Notermann has been notoriously underported/underrated. Point production in MSHSL and Elite for last two years has been phenomenal.

o Could have been some discussion about BSM Cade Gleekel, #3 points in AA right now, there has been a thread on the Forum about this subject.

My thought is Justin Kloos was last person to carry a team like Tufte is. Nobody mentioned him.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

WestMetro wrote:Good weekly show.

I had seen the BSM/STA, GR/DE , and EP/DE games. Thought the discussion covered the games very well. Duluth East still seems to be a mystery, no one seems to be able to explain why the Hounds record is what it is, but everyone thinks they will be around come time for Section 7 playoffs.

Tony, good point about Mahtomedi being underreported in light of their win over STA, especially the performance of goalie Will Swanson

Love the apologies segment as a weekly item, but TS - no fair asking for apologies to yourself

o Agree Notermann has been notoriously underported/underrated. Point production in MSHSL and Elite for last two years has been phenomenal.

o Could have been some discussion about BSM Cade Gleekel, #3 points in AA right now, there has been a thread on the Forum about this subject.

My thought is Justin Kloos was last person to carry a team like Tufte is. Nobody mentioned him.
West Metry-arent you and Tony Scott relatives?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

WestMetro wrote:Good weekly show.

You are referencing the same guy whose entire business model revolves around /is monetized by self absorbed, insecure parents who will pay anything to have a chance to hear little Johnny's name mentioned!
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

I looked into the single forward carrying a top AA team some. (I have a spreadsheet with the post-HS careers of teams that made the State Tourney going back some years.)

Kloos' Lakeville South is probably the closest you're going to find to a top-3 finisher being largely carried by one player. Still, they weren't a top-5 team in the way Blaine was, even though they were better than many people thought. And the game that team is famous for had much more to do with being a team effort than anything special that Kloos did.

Honestly, the only other one that's even close are the 06-07 Grand Rapids teams that finished 2nd twice, but they were also not especially great in the regular season either year, and Patrick White did have a top-flight defenseman in Stejskal behind him.

HSPuckFan, Leimbeck was a sophomore in 95 when Mayo took Moorhead to double OT in the semis. There were 4 D-I players in his class, which also gave undefeated Duluth East a one-goal game in the first round when they were all seniors in 1997. (They were 24-1 heading into that game.) Leimbeck certainly gets the star billing from those teams, but he did have a sidekick who had a strong career at North Dakota and eventually had a cup of coffee in the AHL. That kid's name? Jason Notermann. (Any relation?)

There are definitely some good teams carried by just two forwards, like the Taffe-Welch Hastings teams, or the Guyer-Sertich Greenway groups. But I don't see any top-flight AA teams in the past 20 years or so that did it with one.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

karl(east) wrote:I looked into the single forward carrying a top AA team some. (I have a spreadsheet with the post-HS careers of teams that made the State Tourney going back some years.)

Kloos' Lakeville South is probably the closest you're going to find to a top-3 finisher being largely carried by one player. Still, they weren't a top-5 team in the way Blaine was, even though they were better than many people thought. And the game that team is famous for had much more to do with being a team effort than anything special that Kloos did.

Honestly, the only other one that's even close are the 06-07 Grand Rapids teams that finished 2nd twice, but they were also not especially great in the regular season either year, and Patrick White did have a top-flight defenseman in Stejskal behind him.

HSPuckFan, Leimbeck was a sophomore in 95 when Mayo took Moorhead to double OT in the semis. There were 4 D-I players in his class, which also gave undefeated Duluth East a one-goal game in the first round when they were all seniors in 1997. (They were 24-1 heading into that game.) Leimbeck certainly gets the star billing from those teams, but he did have a sidekick who had a strong career at North Dakota and eventually had a cup of coffee in the AHL. That kid's name? Jason Notermann. (Any relation?)

There are definitely some good teams carried by just two forwards, like the Taffe-Welch Hastings teams, or the Guyer-Sertich Greenway groups. But I don't see any top-flight AA teams in the past 20 years or so that did it with one.

Have said this many times before, Kloos is best HS player/most prolific scorer I've seen in last 15-20 yrs.

Pretty certain Jason Notremans dad is brothers with Luke Notremans dad, making them cousins. Jason was an excellent player and actually grew up playing in the Burnsville program in the late 80s/early 90s.

As far as the Welch/Taffe Hastings teams, they had a heck of a lot more than Danny and Jeff. Ben Tharpe was a d1 damn, Adam Gerlach played 4 yrs at Mankato, Matt Klein played at UMD and at least 5-7 on that team were excellent multi sport athletes who went on ans played DII or DIII college baseball, football or hockey...not to mention Ben Utecht who played in the NFL.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Not to dwell on this subject, which was really more of an after thought comment during one segment of the the podcast.

Karl pretty well summarized the recent history top teams who were carried largely by one forward , Kloos got to be at top of that list.

But in reality , Blaine is NOT carried by Tufte , it is carried by two forwards Tufte and Notermann.

So that might reframe the follow up discussion to: which modern era teams were similarly dominated by two forwards scoring? I see Karl mentions a couple, but maybe a few more out there?
rainier

Post by rainier »

WestMetro wrote:Not to dwell on this subject, which was really more of an after thought comment during one segment of the the podcast.

Karl pretty well summarized the recent history top teams who were carried largely by one forward , Kloos got to be at top of that list.

But in reality , Blaine is NOT carried by Tufte , it is carried by two forwards Tufte and Notermann.

So that might reframe the follow up discussion to: which modern era teams were similarly dominated by two forwards scoring? I see Karl mentions a couple, but maybe a few more out there?
Yon and Strand for Roseau a couple years ago.
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn
HSPuckFan

Post by HSPuckFan »

karl(east) wrote:I looked into the single forward carrying a top AA team some. (I have a spreadsheet with the post-HS careers of teams that made the State Tourney going back some years.)

I honestly don't know why Leimbeck's name was the fist to pop into my head.Oh and WestMetro yes the Zephs are being underreported but it's not because they beat STA but because they lost to Tartan. SMH
Go Zephyrs
my2cents

Post by my2cents »

While Kloos was a top flight forward in HS, the best player was Ryan McDonagh at CDH. He owned the ice in just about every game for his junior (State Tourney MVP) and senior years (Mr Hockey).
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

my2cents wrote:While Kloos was a top flight forward in HS, the best player was Ryan McDonagh at CDH. He owned the ice in just about every game for his junior (State Tourney MVP) and senior years (Mr Hockey).
He was definitely the most physical/aggressive HS player I have ever seen. Tom Pederson from Jefferson close 2nd.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Other recent top team great dominating pairs with approximately equal production are:

Malmquist and Wait

Jaremko and Lutz

Poehling and Poehling