The Best Player in the State

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

YouthHockeyHub

The Best Player in the State

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

A new creation on Game On...some fun quotes from Grace, her coach and others.

http://bit.ly/1nIfCbQ
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

Barf. There is so many good players in this state. So many different schedules. So many different teammates. Would Grace be as good if she played with Minnehaha or Woodbury? To crown one as the "best" is crazy and a slap in the face to Norby, Gardner, Hughes, etc etc. These privates sure know how to promote themselves. :roll:
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

Grace is one of the best, for sure.

My daughter skates with her sister in the spring/summer. It's always fun with Grace and Anna (a Breck senior, also committed to play college hockey) join them on the ice. They are definitely role models.
thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 »

Congrats to a well deserved player, I am sure there are lots of well deserved players who probably deserve the same recognition.

But I find it ironic the "best" player in the State whose training was highlighted in the article to consist of private skating coaches and connected OS - Brodt Summer teams plays Class A. Do the girls who will have to face her in sections at Chisago Lakes, Princeton and Minneapolis have the same financial resources for these types of training or connections to be invited to play on these summer teams? This is not this player's fault, she has benefited tremendously and has take advantage of the opportunity to make the most of it. Good for her and congrats again for her success.

I would be curious to see if the same type of player would have the same success coming from the range or any other smaller community where they do not possess the same resources to afford year round training?

Another example why schools who have players like these clearly should not be playing in the A tourney. Leave the Class A tourney for the "real" A communities.
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

thegreatone99 wrote: I would be curious to see if the same type of player would have the same success coming from the range or any other smaller community where they do not possess the same resources to afford year round training?

Another example why schools who have players like these clearly should not be playing in the A tourney. Leave the Class A tourney for the "real" A communities.
thegreatone99,

DOES GRACE ZUMWINKLE AND/OR HER PARENTS DETERMINE WHETHER BRECK IS A OR AA?

You are CONSTANTLY railing on the class A vs AA situation. Anyone who reads this forum on a fairly regular basis understands your view on this topic. There are a couple of other threads active right now discussing JUST THAT.

Let people celebrate "the best player in the state" or throw out others that they think might be more worthy of that title on this thread.

pepperpot, what does youthhockeyhub.com or gameonmn.com have to do with promoting privates? Seems like a little bit of a reach on that one...
MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter »

thegreatone99 wrote: Leave the Class A tourney for the "real" A communities.
Pretty sure everyone is aware of your position on this one, have you considered joining the MN Stray Cat Rescue Forums to let them know? I'm sure they have some completely unrelated threads you can hijack there as well.

By any chance are you actually Dave Palmquist?
thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 »

massalsa wrote:
thegreatone99 wrote: I would be curious to see if the same type of player would have the same success coming from the range or any other smaller community where they do not possess the same resources to afford year round training?

thegreatone99,

DOES GRACE ZUMWINKLE AND/OR HER PARENTS DETERMINE WHETHER BRECK IS A OR AA?

You are CONSTANTLY railing on the class A vs AA situation. Anyone who reads this forum on a fairly regular basis understands your view on this topic. There are a couple of other threads active right now discussing JUST THAT.

Let people celebrate "the best player in the state" or throw out others that they think might be more worthy of that title on this thread.

pepperpot, what does youthhockeyhub.com or gameonmn.com have to do with promoting privates? Seems like a little bit of a reach on that one...
Masattack - not sure where I am blaming the player or the parents in the post? It is pretty clear I posted it is not their fault, but the school. I see you still have the rose colored glasses to help you with your selective reading. Too bad they do not prevent you from reading my posts GO PACKERS ! :lol: :lol:
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

thegreatone99 wrote: Masattack - not sure where I am blaming the player or the parents in the post? It is pretty clear I posted it is not their fault, but the school. I see you still have the rose colored glasses to help you with your selective reading. Too bad they do not prevent you from reading my posts GO PACKERS ! :lol: :lol:
Thought I read the post pretty well.

"Congrats to a well, deserved player"

That seemed to be the extent of your positive Grace Zumwinkle words. The rest of the post was:

"I am sure that there are lots of well deserved players that..."

"I find it ironic the "best" player in the state..."

"Do the girls in her sections at Chisago Lakes, Princeton, and Minneapolis have the same financial resources for these types of training or connections..."

"I would be curious to see if the same type of player..."

"Another example why schools who have players like this clearly..."

Someone please enlighten us if going to Breck gets you on OS whatever team or another one. How many on their current roster play on "these summer teams"? If your gripe is about OS in general then you can complain about every school within 50 miles of the metro. There are kids that sign up for their summer program and drive in a couple days a week from most likely 50% or more of the HS teams in the state (just a guess as my kid has skated with and against kids from Red Wing, Wisconsin, St Cloud, and other outstate areas in her limited OS experiences).
thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 »

as I was told earlier by a specific poster, please stick on point Masattack this thread is about congratulating one player's success. We can leave it at that.
itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach »

thegreatone99 wrote:as I was told earlier by a specific poster, please stick on point Masattack this thread is about congratulating one player's success. We can leave it at that.
These types of statements of the"best player in state" aggrovates me. No one wants to point out that she does not satisically lead in any stat on the hub anyway. She doesn't even break the top 10. Is she a great player, and person, yes with out a doubt. But to say she is best in state with all the talent out there...really? When she played against the tougher team like Edina, Maple Grove, Blake, Centennial, she was a none factor. How about her team mates that create opportunity for her. My point is who is to judge, and what is the measurement they use to say this. I would take a full team of her, but by labeling her does a injustice to other top tier girls who work their butts off. She has a good network of friends, and her parents are in the inner circle of the who's who in hockey. I know of her parents, they are very good at getting the word out, as in the artical that was written about her. She has a very good advertising agency that other don't have...Her deep pocket parents, and friends like Winney Brodt being quoted helps a lot to sell this artical. I'm sure Winney wouldnt bite the the hands that feeds her every summer either. So a quote from her means nothing other than supporting her means. She is a great D1 player going to the UofM leave it at that. Like many other D1 players this year living their dream of playing a great game.

Pepper pot said it right - barf.

By the way. Whats with the Palmquist statement? That one escapes me. Can someone enlighten me on that one.
MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter »

itsfoilcoach wrote:

By the way. Whats with the Palmquist statement? That one escapes me. Can someone enlighten me on that one.
TGO99 has been ranting about privates playing single A for weeks. Palmquist is going to be watching the state tourney on Prep45 this year because of United, a private single A school.
AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad »

I have two words.. Snodgrass , Norby. Possibly this and next years well deserved Ms Hockey winners'... Did anyone see Snodgrass tie game then score the OT goal vs Canada for her 2nd Gold medal vs best competition in the world? ... Play big in big games I say!
Bulldog3489

Post by Bulldog3489 »

itsfoilcoach wrote:
thegreatone99 wrote:as I was told earlier by a specific poster, please stick on point Masattack this thread is about congratulating one player's success. We can leave it at that.
These types of statements of the"best player in state" aggrovates me. No one wants to point out that she does not satisically lead in any stat on the hub anyway. She doesn't even break the top 10. Is she a great player, and person, yes with out a doubt. But to say she is best in state with all the talent out there...really? When she played against the tougher team like Edina, Maple Grove, Blake, Centennial, she was a none factor. How about her team mates that create opportunity for her. My point is who is to judge, and what is the measurement they use to say this. I would take a full team of her, but by labeling her does a injustice to other top tier girls who work their butts off. She has a good network of friends, and her parents are in the inner circle of the who's who in hockey. I know of her parents, they are very good at getting the word out, as in the artical that was written about her. She has a very good advertising agency that other don't have...Her deep pocket parents, and friends like Winney Brodt being quoted helps a lot to sell this artical. I'm sure Winney wouldnt bite the the hands that feeds her every summer either. So a quote from her means nothing other than supporting her means. She is a great D1 player going to the UofM leave it at that. Like many other D1 players this year living their dream of playing a great game.
Don't go negative. The kid did not write the article someone did it to generate controversy. This outfit will even rank 9 year old squirt players to generate website traffic. Just ignore it.
thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 »

MN_Bowhunter wrote:
itsfoilcoach wrote:

TGO99 has been ranting about privates playing single A for weeks. Palmquist is going to be watching the state tourney on Prep45 this year because of United, a private single A school.
Wow pretty confident on SPU.
AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad »

thegreatone99 wrote:
MN_Bowhunter wrote:
itsfoilcoach wrote:

4A should be one horse race this year... Then again the horse broke a leg in the home stretch last year and gave up 2 goals on about 6 total shots to lose in section finals so anything is possible I guess!?
MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter »

thegreatone99 wrote:
MN_Bowhunter wrote:
itsfoilcoach wrote:

It's not really going out on a limb but I will admit that tying Simley and giving up a dozen to HM is an indicator that you're ready for SPU.

I love me some Lightning but it rarely strikes twice in the same place. I wouldn't be surprised if Mahtomedi ends your season.
itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach »

MN_Bowhunter wrote:
thegreatone99 wrote:
MN_Bowhunter wrote: TGO99 has been ranting about privates playing single A for weeks. Palmquist is going to be watching the state tourney on Prep45 this year because of United, a private single A school.
It's not really going out on a limb but I will admit that tying Simley and giving up a dozen to HM is an indicator that you're ready for SPU.

I love me some Lightning but it rarely strikes twice in the same place. I wouldn't be surprised if Mahtomedi ends your season.

So I looked at the hub. They played Hill three times, Blake, SPU, Elk River looked like a tough AA schedule, along with other decent teams . Wait SPU is still single A. So I'm assuming you are agreeing with everyone about moving up considering thier talent at SPU, and thier ability to beat them easily. SSP a single A team so I would assume playing another single A team it shouldn't be a blow out...right? So SSP seems to play tough AA teams through out their schedule, and for what ever reason who knows. Don't know why a coach would choose that schedule frankly. But they say you learn more when you lose I understand. The kids are a lot smarter now I guess. SPU apparently has a different pholiphy. Play the class A bracket, add a 30 goal scorer to an already potent team from Irondale, then play an easier schedule in hopes to bring home the big single A trophy. Good for the kids, good for the school, everyones happy. Sound the sarcasm horn.
lsqrank01

Post by lsqrank01 »

Gentlemen (U2 Bowguy), Based on the latest least-squares run of the regular season data, the following table is the most probable result that will occur in this year's Section 4A play-down for a state tournament berth. No horse in the race for me except making reliable projections. Statistically, there is a 1 in 20 chance (5%) that SoStPaul defeats SPU if they get past Mahtomedi first. Slim, but a chance none the less. Good luck to all teams.

Code: Select all

=======================================================================================================================
MSHSL Section 4A
----------------
    14  MN     HS   997.3177    St.PaulUnited      MnHSHL   4          A     25  (19- 5- 1) 0.780  
    50  MN     HS   993.3271        Mahtomedi      MnHSHL   4          A     25  (13-12- 0) 0.520  
    71  MN     HS   992.0983      SouthStPaul      MnHSHL   4          A     25  ( 9-14- 2) 0.400  
    99  MN     HS   990.4343           Simley      MnHSHL   4          A     25  ( 6-18- 1) 0.260  
   108  MN     HS   989.1268      HenrySibley      MnHSHL   4          A     25  ( 6-19- 0) 0.240  
   122  MN     HS   988.2687    St.PaulBlades      MnHSHL   4          A     25  ( 8-16- 1) 0.340  
   134  MN     HS   986.6711  MinnehahaUnited      MnHSHL   4          A     25  ( 5-19- 1) 0.220  
----------------------------------------------
Seed  Team             Margin
------------------------------  
#1    St Paul United   --->      W +7     W +4     4A Champion --> State Tournament #2 Seed
      Bye
------------------------------
#4    Simley              W +1   L -7
#5    Henry Sibley        L -1
-----------------------------------------
#3    South Saint Paul    W +4   L -1
#6    St Paul Blades      L -4
-------------------------------
#2    Mahtomedi           W +7   W +1     L -4 
#7    Minnehaha United    L -7
===================================================================================================================
thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 »

By the way. Whats with the Palmquist statement? That one escapes me. Can someone enlighten me on that one.[/quote]

Are you trying to say the "haves" receive a competitive advantage :o :o
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

thegreatone99 wrote:These types of statements of the"best player in state" aggrovates me. No one wants to point out that she does not satisically lead in any stat on the hub anyway. She doesn't even break the top 10. Is she a great player, and person, yes with out a doubt. But to say she is best in state with all the talent out there...really? When she played against the tougher team like Edina, Maple Grove, Blake, Centennial, she was a none factor. How about her team mates that create opportunity for her. My point is who is to judge, and what is the measurement they use to say this. I would take a full team of her, but by labeling her does a injustice to other top tier girls who work their butts off. She has a good network of friends, and her parents are in the inner circle of the who's who in hockey. I know of her parents, they are very good at getting the word out, as in the artical that was written about her. She has a very good advertising agency that other don't have...Her deep pocket parents, and friends like Winney Brodt being quoted helps a lot to sell this artical. I'm sure Winney wouldnt bite the the hands that feeds her every summer either. So a quote from her means nothing other than supporting her means. She is a great D1 player going to the UofM leave it at that. Like many other D1 players this year living their dream of playing a great game.

http://www.morethanasundayfaith.com/wp- ... m-card.jpg

North south east west, rich poor, public private, Selects Made OS or garage door, basement, pond - the thing the best players have in common is they work their butts off every day of every season and off season. Running, weights, skating, other sports, whatever it takes. In most cases for TEN YEARS before they get a D1 scholarship or top level USA hockey opportunity.

If anything is going to ruin this game we love, or any other youth sport or activity for that matter, is middle age discontents preaching your victim mentality. The problem is your kids will start to believe they are starting at an insurmountable disadvantage and give up. That sucks, but look in the mirror.
itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach »

thegreatone99 wrote:These types of statements of the"best player in state" aggrovates me. No one wants to point out that she does not satisically lead in any stat on the hub anyway. She doesn't even break the top 10. Is she a great player, and person, yes with out a doubt. But to say she is best in state with all the talent out there...really? When she played against the tougher team like Edina, Maple Grove, Blake, Centennial, she was a none factor. How about her team mates that create opportunity for her. My point is who is to judge, and what is the measurement they use to say this. I would take a full team of her, but by labeling her does a injustice to other top tier girls who work their butts off. She has a good network of friends, and her parents are in the inner circle of the who's who in hockey. I know of her parents, they are very good at getting the word out, as in the artical that was written about her. She has a very good advertising agency that other don't have...Her deep pocket parents, and friends like Winney Brodt being quoted helps a lot to sell this artical. I'm sure Winney wouldnt bite the the hands that feeds her every summer either. So a quote from her means nothing other than supporting her means. She is a great D1 player going to the UofM leave it at that. Like many other D1 players this year living their dream of playing a great game.

Are you trying to say the "haves" receive a competitive advantage :o :o[/quote]

Well I kinda hate the haves/have not argument. But there is a lot to say about having money, having the right player agent to help put you in the right place at the right time, and a good network of connections. So even though you play a pretty easy schedule and score 28 goals, you still can be a good teammate and a productive player. Maybe over rated maybe not. But kids have left to the D1 school not ever to touch the ice. Eventually you have to prove all the hype on a bigger stage. I wish luck to all these kids. I will also say there is a lot kids that don't do the HP stuff that are high quality players and don't go the junior route. They chose a different path to achieve there goals, doesn't mean those girls are all the best the state has to offer. That also could be a money issue for some of fording the road HP offers. This state has a lot of talent out there I just hope they all reach their potential.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

You'll have nearly as many selections of best player as you have definitions of "best".