Congrats to the Ms. Hockey and Senior Goalie Semifinalist

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:24 am

2016 Senior Goalie of the Year finalists
http://www.letsplayhockey.com/todays-to ... lists.html

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:29 am

Ms. Hockey five finalists announced:

http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/news_ar ... _id=980516

Benfishin

Post by Benfishin » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:36 pm

Congrats to all the finalists. How Radke wasn't a finalist is perplexing.

sinbin

Post by sinbin » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:40 pm

If you add one to the final 5, which of those 5 would you remove?

itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:56 am

Benfishin wrote:Congrats to all the finalists. How Radke wasn't a finalist is perplexing.
For the same reason they were never ranked well this year. Strength of schedule, and Hastings general popularity as a program is my guess. She put up some solid numbers. Hard working kid on the ice. But something tipped the scale. She was up against some pretty good competion that probably had a lot to do with the decision. Outside of hockey, gradwise, or volunteer work, is pretty important when weighing out these procpects. Those areas are more difficult to measure from the outside looking in.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:52 am

Hey 36, Try and get a seat next to Erin Andrews if possible.

36Guy

Post by 36Guy » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:13 am

alcloseshaver wrote:Hey 36, Try and get a seat next to Erin Andrews if possible.
Will do! I am very good at being delightfully tacky! :oops:

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:20 am

Congrats to Ms Norby and Ms Brenneman

panpan111

Post by panpan111 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:05 am

Congrats to Pres & Jenna! Both are the best of the best!

Jiblet

Post by Jiblet » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:41 am

Congrats to Norby. Best player in the state this year. Sorry having the best player doesn't mean you get to state 36guy. Also Brenneman was the best senior candidate. They need to reduce the goalie semi finalists and finalists however because the best goalies aren't seniors. Seems watered down. Also because so many seniors are up for the award they get All-State awards over other worthy players. Which is also a joke.

rwb1351

Post by rwb1351 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:33 pm

Jiblet wrote:Congrats to Norby. Best player in the state this year. Sorry having the best player doesn't mean you get to state 36guy. Also Brenneman was the best senior candidate. They need to reduce the goalie semi finalists and finalists however because the best goalies aren't seniors. Seems watered down. Also because so many seniors are up for the award they get All-State awards over other worthy players. Which is also a joke.
... I think you are missing the point of the SENIOR goalie award.

The underclassmen will get their turn. They will get their awards. Let the seniors be celebrated as they finish their careers. There are plenty of other ways for the younger girls to be recognized.

Congrats to this year's winners!

ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:10 pm

rwb1351 wrote:
Jiblet wrote:Congrats to Norby. Best player in the state this year. Sorry having the best player doesn't mean you get to state 36guy. Also Brenneman was the best senior candidate. They need to reduce the goalie semi finalists and finalists however because the best goalies aren't seniors. Seems watered down. Also because so many seniors are up for the award they get All-State awards over other worthy players. Which is also a joke.
... I think you are missing the point of the SENIOR goalie award.

The underclassmen will get their turn. They will get their awards. Let the seniors be celebrated as they finish their careers. There are plenty of other ways for the younger girls to be recognized.

Congrats to this year's winners!
This is a senior award.

It has no impact on all state. Everyone is eligible for that.

Jiblet

Post by Jiblet » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:55 pm

I am not denying that there should be an award for top senior goalie. Simply that there should be 10 semifinalists and 5 finalists. And if everyone has the opportunity at all state, why was the best goalie in the state tourney not all state? And Lauren Bench is All state because she was a finalist for senior goalie. Just pointing out most of these awards are decided by people who don't truly watch or understand the game and the best players in the state.

MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:04 pm

deleted due to assurances from someone in the know.
Last edited by MN_Bowhunter on Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

rwb1351

Post by rwb1351 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:31 pm

Jiblet wrote:I am not denying that there should be an award for top senior goalie. Simply that there should be 10 semifinalists and 5 finalists. And if everyone has the opportunity at all state, why was the best goalie in the state tourney not all state? And Lauren Bench is All state because she was a finalist for senior goalie. Just pointing out most of these awards are decided by people who don't truly watch or understand the game and the best players in the state.
I'm sorry your daughter didn't make all state. I'm sure she is as good as you think she is. And I'm sure you saw all 10 of the ms goalie candidates play. And when she is a senior and there is an underclassmen goalie that is better than her, I'm sure you will gladly have her sacrifice her spot so the younger girl can get the recognition.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:44 pm

I agree on the congrats to both senior winners. Each of the Ms. Hockey finalists were definitely worthy of the award. But...(this is a forum for discussion correct?!?)

Like any award I think that one can construct an argument or two for another candidate or two:

Brodt: Not even close to the surrounding cast of teammates to Norby, Bullock, or Steffen. Was only able to see her in person 1x and was impressed.

Steffen: Might be the opposite of Brodt with such a great supporting cast that it was hard at times to notice how great she was with such high end talent surrounding her.

Bullock: Best pure goal scorer in the field?

Norby: Best out of HS season resume (ever? USA 18 2x + USA 22). The fastest skater I saw all season...almost Randy Moss-ish if that makes any sense.

Robinson: Only was able to see play a couple of times in the off season (and last season 2x) so not an opinion on this HS season. Very strong when I saw her play.

Jiblet

Post by Jiblet » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:17 pm

MN_Bowhunter wrote:
Jiblet wrote:I am not denying that there should be an award for top senior goalie. Simply that there should be 10 semifinalists and 5 finalists. And if everyone has the opportunity at all state, why was the best goalie in the state tourney not all state? And Lauren Bench is All state because she was a finalist for senior goalie. Just pointing out most of these awards are decided by people who don't truly watch or understand the game and the best players in the state.
Which goalie are you talking about? Blesi or Tschida?
Tschida? No I was serious not making a joke. Dobchuk and Blesi the 2 best goalies in tourney, both made all tourney team. Those are also the 2 best goalies in the state. I would argue Dobchuk is the best. And she doesn't even get all state? Makes me believe that award is a joke. All I have to say. Her stats and trophy can prolly back up what I'm saying.

MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:50 pm

Last edited by MN_Bowhunter on Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

sinbin

Post by sinbin » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:26 pm

Late to the party, but again, how does playing well in 2 games on TV equate to being the best player over the preceding 29 games? And doesn't the voting take place prior to the State tourney, so that all players are equal candidates (i.e., some don't get an unfair advantage of 5 additional games, with perhaps 3 at State and 2 on TV)?

ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:43 am

sinbin wrote:Late to the party, but again, how does playing well in 2 games on TV equate to being the best player over the preceding 29 games? And doesn't the voting take place prior to the State tourney, so that all players are equal candidates (i.e., some don't get an unfair advantage of 5 additional games, with perhaps 3 at State and 2 on TV)?
I believe that's correct about the voting timeframe.

Additionally, those on the committees spend a lot of time ensuring all players are seen or equally considered.

Jiblet

Post by Jiblet » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:04 am

Haha unfortunately this is not Ms Dobchuk, let's set that straight. I do know her, but she wouldn't come on a board full of clowns. Been reading this all year and held my tongue. Too many fools who don't know the game and who think they are entitled making comments. I laughed all year but figured I would say something now. Congrats EP on the state title. You clowns keep chirping on this board! Maybe whining will bring you guys state titles!

luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:16 am

Jiblet wrote:I would argue Dobchuk is the best. And she doesn't even get all state? Makes me believe that award is a joke. All I have to say. Her stats and trophy can prolly back up what I'm saying.
Dobber was great in the state tournament, but I don't know about best in state. Watch her play often and you'd see she still makes a lot of dumb mistakes and lets in her share of easy goals. I'd say that on some nights she can be the best goalie in the state. She'll be awesome when she's a senior.

MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:00 am

Last edited by MN_Bowhunter on Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:39 am

I've been watching Presley Norby for years thinking "Who's that annoying little girl causing so much havoc around the net?" She's been a thorn in Eden Prairie's side from way back in 2009 (I think) when I wondered where the heck the NWC River Hawks were from when I first saw them in our pool at the Edina Cake Eater tournament. Shut down that annoying little blonde girl and you win the game, but shutting down Norby was never easy.

This year, with my daughter graduated, Norby stopped being so annoying and I could sit back and enjoy the artistry of her play. I think she may be the best skater in the state, seamless transitions, fantastic speed, incredible acceleration, always able to find a lane. Her game is beautiful. She is a joy to watch.

It was unfortunate that Norby didn't have a chance to play at the state tournament her senior year (I know how painful that final loss can be). At the section finals we saw once again that if you shut down Norby you win the game, and EP did just that (not sure why it took three games for Grossman to figure that out). But I am not going to complain. EP did go on to win the state tournament (one year too late), and Norby did become Ms Hockey.

Congrats Presely, I can't think of anyone more deserving of the honor. Looking forward to watching you play at Ridder, even if you're wearing the wrong colors. If I hear someone ask "Who's that annoying little blonde girl giving the Gophers such a fit?" I'll tell them all about you.
Last edited by luckyEPDad on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.