2016 Class AA Sections - Your Predictions!

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

jg2112 wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
Sparlimb wrote:Pretty sure the Pioneers had the freshman Ava Bailey in nets last night. Looks like they are going with the younger of the two the rest of the way (she played against Stillwater too).
Thanks, Sparlimb, I've made the correction in my post above. Looks like the Pioneers will be set in goal for a few more years!
As will the Mustangs. Teagan Johnson had a very, very good season as a 9th grader. The only game I saw her even remotely look shaky was against Blake, where Carly Bullock scored three. I think that is completely understandable.

White Bear Lake had a 9th grade goalie who started the game they lost to MV in sections and a couple ninth graders skating out who saw a lot of ice time. Looks like the Bears have a nice young group to build on.
panpan111

Post by panpan111 »

Great crowd last night at Roseville! Great game & the HM band was LOUD! Lets all get out & support the Girls at Ridder tonight! Pre-game at Sally's! Go Tonka!
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

Sparlimb wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote: Thanks, Sparlimb, I've made the correction in my post above. Looks like the Pioneers will be set in goal for a few more years!
As will the Mustangs. Teagan Johnson had a very, very good season as a 9th grader. The only game I saw her even remotely look shaky was against Blake, where Carly Bullock scored three. I think that is completely understandable.

White Bear Lake had a 9th grade goalie who started the game they lost to MV in sections and a couple ninth graders skating out who saw a lot of ice time. Looks like the Bears have a nice young group to build on.
Indeed. Shearen, De La Rosa and Frank (G) are all very, very good players. Verkerke as well.

White Bear's future problem is that they have no players at the U12 level. That's not figurative speech. This year they had no U12 teams, and 5 of their girls co-oped in Roseville. Those 9th graders are going to have to carry the load here on out. Good luck to WBL in 2020-22.
READYtoPLAY

Post by READYtoPLAY »

MNHockeyFan wrote:4AA
No. 1 seeded and No. 1 ranked Hill-Murray got goals from Mekenzie Steffen, Taylor Henthorne and Lindsey Featherstone to skate past Mounds View. Ava Bailey stopped 19 of 20 shots in limiting the Mustangs to a single goal scored by Sydney Brodt.

All 20 had the Pioneers winning the section, but all 20 had them scoring at least 4 goals, so no correct scores.

Edited 2/12/16 to correct Hill-Murray's goalie to Ava Bailey.
Correction: HM goals were Erica Steigauf (4th line - first varsity goal), Henthorne & Featherstone.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

READYtoPLAY wrote:Correction: HM goals were Erica Steigauf (4th line - first varsity goal), Henthorne & Featherstone.
Thanks, I've edited my post above to reflect the scorer change on H-M's first goal. The first box score put up last night definitely showed Steffen though - and maybe Johnson as the goaltender too, although not 100% on that one!
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

MNHockeyFan wrote:Updated Class AA Section Winners

Halfway there:

1AA: Lakeville South
2AA: Minnetonka vs. Eden Prairie @6:00pm Friday at Ridder Arena
3AA: Eastview
4AA: Hill-Murray
5AA: Maple Grove vs. Centennial @7:00pm Friday at Roseville Arena
6AA: Edina vs. Wayzata @8:00pm Friday at Ridder Arena
7AA: Forest Lake
8AA: Roseau vs. Sartell/Sauk Rapids @7:00pm at Detroit Lakes

And in our Class AA contest massalsa, with a big night, jumps into the lead:

1. massalsa - 89

2. wolfman - 85
Knight7 - 85
Go RED (not Crimson!). And Go RAMS!!! I think that is the difference between Knight (MG) and Wolf + me (Centennial) in 5AA. Wolf (Sartell) and Knight + me (Roseau) is the 8AA difference.

Both Knight & Wolf have CDH in the final of 6AA losing to Hornet but I have Trojan losing to Hornet. Don't think that matters now...

Hope they are great games tonight...
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

massalsa wrote:Go RED (not Crimson!). And Go RAMS!!! I think that is the difference between Knight (MG) and Wolf + me (Centennial) in 5AA. Wolf (Sartell) and Knight + me (Roseau) is the 8AA difference.

Both Knight & Wolf have CDH in the final of 6AA losing to Hornet but I have Trojan losing to Hornet. Don't think that matters now...

Hope they are great games tonight...
Still lots of combinations with perfect scores entering into it, but to have a chance to win:
wolfman - Sartell/SR must beat Roseau
Knight7 - Maple Grove must beat Centennial

If Roseau and Centennial both win I don't see how you (massalsa) cannot finish in first.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

2AA Final
Eden Prairie 2, Minnetonka 1 :shock:

Goals by Lauren Oberle and Naomi Rogge got Eden Prairie off to a 2-0 start as they outshot Minnetonka 17-8 in the first two periods. Minnetonka came back in the third, getting a goal from Presley Norby and outshooting the Eagles 13-7, but couldn't get the equalizer past EP's Alexa Dobchuk, who ended with 20 saves on 21 Skippers shots.

Huge upset in our contest, probably the biggest so far in both classes - even though Eden Prairie was ranked 4th in the State in the last LPH poll. But still they received NO respect from our 20 experts to win their section, so I guess they showed all of us, eh? ;)
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

5AA Final
Maple Grove 4, Centennial 1
(game stats not yet available)

A well-balanced section, with 9 favoring Maple Grove to win it vs. 7 for Blaine and 4 for Centennial. Nobody guessed the 4-1 score, but the outcome was big in terms of our contest, as Knight7 overtakes - for now - massalsa in our standings.

Interim Top 5, pending the outcomes in 6AA and 8AA:

1. Knight7 - 90

2. 36Guy - 89
rascalbrock - 89
massalsa - 89

5. panpan111 - 87
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

8AA Final
Roseau 0, Sartell/Sauk Rapids 2 :shock:
(game stats not yet available)

Another big upset. Only 3 of 20 had the Storm'NSabres winning the section, and their victory throws our contest into a bit of turmoil, pending the outcome and score of the Edina/Wayzata game. As of right now it's panpan111 with the lead.

Top 6:

1. panpan111 - 92

2. wolfman - 90
Knight7 - 90

4. 36Guy - 89
rascalbrock - 89
massalsa - 89
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

MNHockeyFan wrote:2AA Final
Eden Prairie 2, Minnetonka 1 :shock:

Goals by Lauren Oberle and Naomi Rogge got Eden Prairie off to a 2-0 start as they outshot Minnetonka 17-8 in the first two periods. Minnetonka came back in the third, getting a goal from Presley Norby and outshooting the Eagles 13-7, but couldn't get the equalizer past EP's Alexa Dobchuk, who ended with 20 saves on 21 Skippers shots.

Huge upset in our contest, probably the biggest so far in both classes - even though Eden Prairie was ranked 4th in the State in the last LPH poll. But still they received NO respect from our 20 experts to win their section, so I guess they showed all of us, eh? ;)
One of the best games of the year! Congrats to EP. Don't know a single person from Tonka but the sadness was palpable. Both teams should be extremely proud.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

In our final pre-State Tournament game of the year, it was:

6AA
#1 Edina 6, #3 Wayzata 0
Edina used a balanced but dominating attack to throttle the Trojans 6-0 in the Section 6AA final and advance to the Class 2A State Tournament. Shots on goal were relatively close at 23-28, but Edina netminder Anna Goldstein stopped all 23 Trojans' shots to keep them off the board and allow Edina's offense to take charge.

In our Class AA contest this was a widely expected result, as 17 of 20 had Edina winning the section and advancing to the State Tournament. With no correct scores, and aided by a last day come-from-behind charge, panpan111 holds on to win our contest. Congrats, panpan111, on a job well done!

Final Standings:
1. panpan111 - 97

2. wolfman 95
Knight7 - 95

4. 36Guy - 94
rascalbrock - 94
massalsa - 94

7. mnhockey3535 - 90

8. hugo_lucas - 89

9. THEBUCKSTOPSHERE - 88

10. MNHockeyFan - 87

11. GoalieDefense - 86
easthockeydad - 86

13. sinbin - 84

14. spars46 - 79
cjmhockey19 - 79

16. One with 76

17. One with 75

18. One with 74

19. One with 68

20. One with 63

For those not doing particularly well - and for those who did do well and would like to prove it was not all luck - look for a combined Class A and AA State Tournament "Pick the Winners Challenge" to be posted as soon as the seeds for both tourneys are officially announced!
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

MNHockeyFan, thanks for running the contests. For those of us who did nto fare so well :oops: we'll look to redeem ourselves at State!
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

sinbin wrote:For those of us who did nto fare so well :oops: we'll look to redeem ourselves at State!
That's my plan as well!:idea: Just waiting for a few more brave souls to post before I jump in and show everyone the winners...;)