Girls HS Hockey in Major Decline

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:52 am

EPIC97 wrote:No No No!!!!
Don't throw me in with your angst for 36.
I for one wish more people were as involved and brought a long as many players as 36 has. He does what's best for all the girl's that have played for him. Yes he has his favorites, as have I. As has any coach that will honestly admit it.
There is a place for Elite hockey in boys and girls, and If MN H.S. hockey was as good as it got then some girls would change sports.
On a related side note.
I was asked this past week where EP's hockey numbers had gone. My answer is simple LAX!!!, It's truly growing in leaps and bounds here and is taking away from the hockey and soccer numbers.
I am sorry EPIC my bad [-X [-X [-X For the record you are not related or have ever coached my daughter. And in no way, shape or form affiliated with THEGREATONE enterprises. I wish you well this week.

Cam Newton (36) has only been called out for his previous attacking posts and tired sarcasm and for cutting our daughter from his summer knitting team due to her parents not able to perform a square stitch.

Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:58 am

Most teams have transfers- EP had a well known goalie move in from OMG. I know she left for greener pastures, but it's a good example. Good programs attract good players and if they follow the rules, no one should complain. The Mirage does have kids who have open enrolled, as does other teams in the area. They all played by the rules, one very good player even decided to sit out of varsity her junior season in order to join the Mirage. That says volumes about the Mirage program. Making it to State and having success during the year is the best marketing tool for girls hockey... and for a program.

thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:21 pm

"The girls’ hockey state tournament begins Wednesday. But let’s be honest: It’s the boys’ hockey section pairings that will draw the most interest this week. Benilde-St. Margaret’s coach Ken Pauly calls the section playoffs “the best-kept secret in high school sports,” referring to the potentially juicy matchups that loom ahead."

"I think the best kept secret will be Blake playing Luverne"

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:49 pm

I find it hard to believe all the girls on SSP played u12's there :)

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:59 am

thegreatone99 wrote:
Um, I didn't say any of that. Nu2 used that team as 1 example. You are just generalizing about "five metro powers" and "botched moves" without knowing any specifics or having a single example. I don't justify what Blake is "doing" if by "doing" you mean staying at A. But bringing girls together to form a talented team that BY DEFINITION can never be home grown because it has no affiliated youth program, well no justification is needed. "Fluid changing of rosters" is a ridiculous allegation. Whatever legitimate beef you started with in your crusade against Breck and Blake has turned into this incredibly bold untruth.[/quote]

As long as you believe in your heart the best thing to overcome the apathy and declining numbers in girls hockey now and the best way to promote it is to have teams like B & B take a team like Luverne, then all is good. Because I know the girls in Luverne have the same resources and pool of players and recruiting opportunities that are enjoyed by St Thomas, oops I mean B&B.

And to make it clear, I hope for some great games and some great experiences for all the girls participating in this week's tourney except for B. I hope Warroad or someone can take them out like TRF did last year. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>[/quote]

Warroad? Really? Not a good example of a true A. Their 3 top scorers and best defenseman are all move ins. In addition to at least 5 others that were listed on their roster.

People would be amazed at the lengths a select few mom and dads went, to skirt the MSHL rules and be able to play on this team with out having to sit a year.

Warroad is a small northern town that has made it to the state tournament. Overall, it is probably good for girls hockey, especially for "Hockey Town USA"! It will probably be presented as a Cinderella story and what a great thing it is to have representation from an area so rich in hockey tradition. However, if anyone thinks that the players that got them to the tournament, are from and/or developed in Warroad, you probably need to do more research into their current roster. You may change your mind about Warroad being a true A team and you may even start to root for the private schools when they play Warroad!

itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:34 am

Hard water fan wrote:Most teams have transfers- EP had a well known goalie move in from OMG. I know she left for greener pastures, but it's a good example. Good programs attract good players and if they follow the rules, no one should complain. The Mirage does have kids who have open enrolled, as does other teams in the area. They all played by the rules, one very good player even decided to sit out of varsity her junior season in order to join the Mirage. That says volumes about the Mirage program. Making it to State and having success during the year is the best marketing tool for girls hockey... and for a program.
Nice post. Voice of reason. Whether it's job related, or greener pastures the token kid or two the system can absorb the way it's set up using existing transfer rules. Public to public the kids sits a year depending on transfer reasons. Now public to private it's different animal, it puts the public at a disadvantage again. Maybe this should be looked at for the loop holes that these players take advantage of. The scale of which these private schools/businesses go out and use their finical power to find and retain quality players is like comparing apples to oranges. It's on a deferent scale all together. The token player, or the token win here and there people like to bring up means absolutely nothing in the big picture, and doesn't represent a shift in the paradigm what so ever. In a prior post someone mentioned a girl that transfered to FL. I'm sure we all can agree if it wasn't for a job, then why? Good solid program. But if it's a top tier power house they are looking for I'm not sure that's where I would put my skates on. The big three have a sharp growth trajectory, and conversely the publics fall from this great sport. I wrote to the HS league on my concern. Thats what it going to take to help this. A little grass roots effort goes a long way.

Contacting the Minnesota State High School League Office

Minnesota State High School League
2100 Freeway Boulevard
Brooklyn Center MN 55430-1735

763-560-2262
763-569-0499 FAX

Link:

http://mshsl.org/mshsl/aboutmshsl.asp?page=3
Last edited by itsfoilcoach on Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:45 am

itsfoilcoach wrote:The scale of which these private schools/businesses go out and use their finical power to find and retain quality players is like comparing apples to oranges. It's on a deferent scale all together.
I actually applied for the Hill Murray girls hockey scout job, $250,000.00 yearly salary, health insurance, company car, $1,000.00 a day spending allowance for recruiting purposes, and you get to keep all your miles from flying around the globe looking for talent. I heard Cretin just fired their full time girls hockey recruiter and have hired a private firm to take over for him. Not sure what the recruiting budget is at Cretin but obviously it's less than Hill.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:57 am

Also agree with HW. Follow the rules, which are the SAME FOR EVERY SCHOOL whether public or private, and enjoy the game.
Or, as some have said, work to change the rules.
Can this be done now? Good luck to everyone this week, homegrown, transfer, public, private, north south east west, recent US nationals, mites playing "up", centaurs, recent college grads who look younger, superheroes in hockey gear, and even you pepper.
I'm taking Hill and Blake to win it all :D :x :twisted: :wink: 8)

thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:22 am

MN_Bowhunter wrote:
itsfoilcoach wrote:The scale of which these private schools/businesses go out and use their finical power to find and retain quality players is like comparing apples to oranges. It's on a deferent scale all together.
I actually applied for the Hill Murray girls hockey scout job, $250,000.00 yearly salary, health insurance, company car, $1,000.00 a day spending allowance for recruiting purposes, and you get to keep all your miles from flying around the globe looking for talent. I heard Cretin just fired their full time girls hockey recruiter and have hired a private firm to take over for him. Not sure what the recruiting budget is at Cretin but obviously it's less than Hill.
There is no issue with Hill just like BSM or Cretin. Yes do they recruit, but they all play up. The problem with Blake and Breck, they do they same recruiting, offer steep financial aid, but stay at the A level. If they were playing at AA I would not be going after them like I do. You will never stop the recruiting, the big metro publics all have kids who moved in to play hockey and were not on their U12. Only teams like FL ER, do not have that luxury of having families move in or open enroll for the hockey.

But what B & B is doing to the class A tourney is identical to what STA did for the boys and there is no excitement to watch them trounce the A teams. There is the apathy. As for Warroad and Roseau I don't have an issue, if a family can make a better living working at Marvin windows and would make that kind of move for hockey, that is ok. There are not a lot of families willing to live in Warroad for hockey only. Is this a double standard, sure I will admit that. But Warroad has lost to a lot of Class AA teams over the last two years while Blake has beaten the majority of them. They are still not at the level of a B & B or have the pool of players these two schools enjoy. Were any of the USA U18 players from Warroad? How many are on B & B? I am sorry, no one wants to see another class A title won by either Breck or Blake. The only advantage we have is the MSHL keeps them in the same section so only one can advance.

The MSHL never made St Thomas move up, they finally felt the pressure to move up themselves and MSHL is too weak to do this now. Both of these schools need to do the proper thing and make the moves themselves to keep the interest in girls hockey, they are only hurting it at tourney time!!!!!!

pepperpot

Post by pepperpot » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:57 am

Never you probably don't need luck if you recruit ALL of your players and have money to burn.Super-rich private team stacked with talent from outside there neighborhood against a team like Laverne? This is what you are defending and look for in a state championship bracket? Blake should be embarrassed to step on the ice. The league should be embarrassed that they allow such a joke. Anyone who defends it should be embarrassed. Hold that trophy high privates, you should be proud! GAG!

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:02 am

](*,)

Rugland

Post by Rugland » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:06 am

itsfoilcoach wrote:In a prior post someone mentioned a girl that transfered to FL. I'm sure we all can agree if it wasn't for a job, then why? Good solid program. But if it's a top tier power house they are looking for I'm not sure that's where I would put my skates on.
Just to clear up the FL player. This was my daughter that moved to FL. My wife works for Polaris Ind and we moved from Roseau for work. We picked FL because of the location and the ability for me to enjoy the outdoors in the area (I love hunting and fishing). FL fit our family the best out of all the other places around. We looked at HM, Centennial, WBL, Blaine and none fit our family like FL. We are not 'big city people' and like the north end pretty well. And it also helped that my daughter knew 2 players from FL from playing with and against them as youth hockey players.

Was she the best player on the team this year, NO. Does she play well, I guess you could say that. But the entire FL team plays well together. I am excited to call FL home and watch the hockey teams grow.

Now, lets get my old account fixed so I can post under my original username. This system will not send a password recovery to a Gmail account....

State Tourney here we Come!

thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:31 am

Rugland wrote:
itsfoilcoach wrote:In a prior post someone mentioned a girl that transfered to FL. I'm sure we all can agree if it wasn't for a job, then why? Good solid program. But if it's a top tier power house they are looking for I'm not sure that's where I would put my skates on.
Just to clear up the FL player. This was my daughter that moved to FL. My wife works for Polaris Ind and we moved from Roseau for work. We picked FL because of the location and the ability for me to enjoy the outdoors in the area (I love hunting and fishing). FL fit our family the best out of all the other places around. We looked at HM, Centennial, WBL, Blaine and none fit our family like FL. We are not 'big city people' and like the north end pretty well. And it also helped that my daughter knew 2 players from FL from playing with and against them as youth hockey players.

Was she the best player on the team this year, NO. Does she play well, I guess you could say that. But the entire FL team plays well together. I am excited to call FL home and watch the hockey teams grow.

Now, lets get my old account fixed so I can post under my original username. This system will not send a password recovery to a Gmail account....

Awesome! Go Rangers, this is what girls hockey should be!

pepper said it best, you should be ashamed B & B, shame on you and you will see this as the entire X of 500 attendees will be cheering for every team but yours.

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:18 am

thegreatone99 wrote:
MN_Bowhunter wrote:
There is no issue with Hill just like BSM or Cretin. Yes do they recruit, but they all play up. The problem with Blake and Breck, they do they same recruiting, offer steep financial aid, but stay at the A level. If they were playing at AA I would not be going after them like I do. You will never stop the recruiting, the big metro publics all have kids who moved in to play hockey and were not on their U12. Only teams like FL ER, do not have that luxury of having families move in or open enroll for the hockey.

But what B & B is doing to the class A tourney is identical to what STA did for the boys and there is no excitement to watch them trounce the A teams. There is the apathy. As for Warroad and Roseau I don't have an issue, if a family can make a better living working at Marvin windows and would make that kind of move for hockey, that is ok. There are not a lot of families willing to live in Warroad for hockey only. Is this a double standard, sure I will admit that. But Warroad has lost to a lot of Class AA teams over the last two years while Blake has beaten the majority of them. They are still not at the level of a B & B or have the pool of players these two schools enjoy. Were any of the USA U18 players from Warroad? How many are on B & B? I am sorry, no one wants to see another class A title won by either Breck or Blake. The only advantage we have is the MSHL keeps them in the same section so only one can advance.

The MSHL never made St Thomas move up, they finally felt the pressure to move up themselves and MSHL is too weak to do this now. Both of these schools need to do the proper thing and make the moves themselves to keep the interest in girls hockey, they are only hurting it at tourney time!!!!!!
I agree they both should opt up. Change the Class "A" title game to Class "B" title game and I would wager that would probably be enough to get the privates to opt up.

As far as Roseau, at least they play AA.

I believe there were two players from the two above mentioned private schools on the roster for the USA U18 team - 1 from each. I certainly could be wrong though.

And no there wasn't anyone from Warroad on the USA U18 team - but let's be honest, there isn't hardly anyone actually from Warroad on the Warroad HS team either. If there was a Warroad player on the USA U18 team, now that would be something to talk about. The first question that would need to be asked!!! Where is she from??

itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:37 pm

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Also agree with HW. Follow the rules, which are the SAME FOR EVERY SCHOOL whether public or private, and enjoy the game.
Can this be done now? Good luck to everyone this week, homegrown, transfer, public, private, north south east west, recent US nationals, mites playing "up", centaurs, recent college grads who look younger, superheroes in hockey gear, and even you pepper.
They are not the same from public to private.... Again flexing your ignorance and putting out misinformation. Say still haven't tried the basketball hub yet I see. You may know more about that sport I'm thinking. Wink wink.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:52 pm

itsfoilcoach wrote:
Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Also agree with HW. Follow the rules, which are the SAME FOR EVERY SCHOOL whether public or private, and enjoy the game.
They are not the same from public to private.... Again flexing your ignorance and putting out misinformation. Say still haven't tried the basketball hub yet I see. You may know more about that sport I'm thinking. Wink wink.
The transfer rules from public to public, public to private, private to public, and private to private are exactly the same. Exactly. The. Same.

And not sharing someone's opinion does not equal misinformation.

Now where are those Pioneers beer cozies and pom poms I packed away last February....

thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:13 pm

[/quote]The transfer rules from public to public, public to private, private to public, and private to private are exactly the same. Exactly. The. Same.
Now where are those Pioneers beer cozies and pom poms I packed away last February....[/quote]

Sorry maybe too many beer cozies, going from private to public or private to private are not the same as public to public. It is not the same playing field.

you need to go back looking for your pom poms or look at the BSM girl that went into HM with no issues And it was not for denomination :lol: :lol: :lol:

itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:17 pm

thegreatone99 wrote:
Rugland wrote:

Awesome! Go Rangers, this is what girls hockey should be!

pepper said it best, you should be ashamed B & B, shame on you and you will see this as the entire X of 500 attendees will be cheering for every team but yours.
Go FL !!!

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:55 pm

thegreatone99 wrote:you need to go back looking for your pom poms or look at the BSM girl that went into HM with no issues And it was not for denomination :lol: :lol: :lol:
If it's the player I'm thinking you're referring to, it was a perfectly legal transfer due to a change of employment of one of her parents. I was told that they did sell their home and move to that part of town, so no issues. It was their choice to enroll their daughter in a different private (Catholic) school much closer to their new home. So yes, no issues.

itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:41 pm

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:
itsfoilcoach wrote:
The transfer rules from public to public, public to private, private to public, and private to private are exactly the same. Exactly. The. Same.

Now where are those Pioneers beer cozies and pom poms I packed away last February

Ok. So a lot of confusion on this. If you move before your elegable 9th grade year all is well. If you move in your 9th-12th grade year (public to public) you have to move into the district that you will be attending so not to sit out a year. Privates you have to change residence only during your qualified years. The deference being you do not have to reside in the city where the private school is located. As in the rumor of a parent renting an apartment and going to SPU as a senior. Or maybe like you and your little Suzy going to Breck (not that that's the school your player attends... wink wink again) and not living in Golden Valley, but driving her to school for a good "education".

Disclamer - All data and information provided on this reply is for miss-informational purposes only. Itsfoilcoach makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis, and to wast everybody's time. Thank you for reading.
Last edited by itsfoilcoach on Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:22 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:
thegreatone99 wrote:you need to go back looking for your pom poms or look at the BSM girl that went into HM with no issues And it was not for denomination :lol: :lol: :lol:
If it's the player I'm thinking you're referring to, it was a perfectly legal transfer due to a change of employment of one of her parents. I was told that they did sell their home and move to that part of town, so no issues. It was their choice to enroll their daughter in a different private (Catholic) school much closer to their new home. So yes, no issues.
You are exactly correct. The family of the player in question built a new home near the HM campus, so it was a 100% legal move. Car ride to school is now minutes from home. Previous drive was an hour in rush hour traffic to BSM from their northeast metro home, then hour back in the evening. Keep in mind, she transferred to HM after Hill had just lost to Tonka in the State Championship. It was only Hill's 2nd appearance ever at State, and Tonka's 3rd title. If the family was chasing a high school championship, they could have built a house in Tonka. Safer bet, right? Then she would've been united with friends PN and KK, who she's been playing AAA hockey together with since U10's. That would have made more sense if a high school title was top priority in their lives. And don't get me wrong, winning a MSHSL title is a nice thing. But a great education at Hill and beating Canada in the last couple U18 World Championships was probably a higher priority on her to-do list.

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:18 am

itsfoilcoach wrote:
Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:
itsfoilcoach wrote:
They are not the same from public to private.... Again flexing your ignorance and putting out misinformation. Say still haven't tried the basketball hub yet I see. You may know more about that sport I'm thinking. Wink wink.[/quote

Now where are those Pioneers beer cozies and pom poms I packed away last February

Ok. So a lot of confusion on this. If you move before your elegable 9th grade year all is well. If you move in your 9th-12th grade year (public to public) you have to move into the district that you will be attending so not to sit out a year. Privates you have to change residence only during your qualified years. The deference being you do not have to reside in the city where the private school is located. As in the rumor of a parent renting an apartment and going to SPU as a senior. Or maybe like you and your little Suzy going to Breck (not that that's the school your player attends... wink wink again) and not living in Golden Valley, but driving her to school for a good "education".

Disclamer - All data and information provided on this reply is for miss-informational purposes only. Itsfoilcoach makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis, and to wast everybody's time. Thank you for reading.

You left out a BIG part of the move/transfer :

Open enrollment allows the student the freedom to attend a public school in which they do not have to reside within that school boundaries. A student can complete a physical move and open enroll at the same time . This balances the move/transfer for public-public moves with public-private moves

thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:57 am

Lace'emUp wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
You are exactly correct. The family of the player in question built a new home near the HM campus, so it was a 100% legal move. Car ride to school is now minutes from home. Previous drive was an hour in rush hour traffic to BSM from their northeast metro home, then hour back in the evening. Keep in mind, she transferred to HM after Hill had just lost to Tonka in the State Championship. It was only Hill's 2nd appearance ever at State, and Tonka's 3rd title. If the family was chasing a high school championship, they could have built a house in Tonka. Safer bet, right? Then she would've been united with friends PN and KK, who she's been playing AAA hockey together with since U10's. That would have made more sense if a high school title was top priority in their lives. And don't get me wrong, winning a MSHSL title is a nice thing. But a great education at Hill and beating Canada in the last couple U18 World Championships was probably a higher priority on her to-do list.
All very good points, I just find it very ironic after BSM has their run of State Tourneys the players left over from these teams both leave. Job transfer, moving, whatever the reason I find it funny how players just happen to land into top end programs. Why B & B and all of these schools should just play each other, because in five years that is all their will be

panpan111

Post by panpan111 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:43 am

I guess I have done it all wrong! My daughter grew up in a great Association that had great #'s (due to recruiting elementary kids) along with great coaches. Served on the board so the girls would have a voice at ALL meetings. Found a great Summer Team with a great coach and we played locally & traveled to play the best talent we could find in Canada, Chicago, Michigan, Italy, via Planes, Trains, & Automobiles...whatever we had to do to make it affordable for everyone on our team. To offset expenses we formed our own Tournament in the summer to raise $$$ to fund much of our expense. Lastly, we decided to send our daughter to Private School. All wrong? According to who?
My point is simple. Anybody can hide behind a screen name and whine about how everything is so wrong with Girls Hockey, Privates, Try-outs, Summer AAA Hockey, Hockey Camps, participation #'s, etc., but it really comes down to everyone doing something to solve the problem. If you don't have #'s...RECRUIT, if you don't have $...FUNDRAISE, if you don't like your Association's direction it is headed for girls hockey...GET ON THE BOARD! If you don't like the MSHSL decisions...GO TO A MEETINGS! If you don't like the Talent Gap on HS teams...WORK HARDER!
Our MN Hockey Experience has been beyond what I ever imagined. Proud of our MN Hockey (Boys & Girls)! All the Parents, Coaches, Kids we have met along the way has blessed me with memories & friendships that will last a lifetime!

36Guy

Post by 36Guy » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:54 am

panpan111 wrote:I guess I have done it all wrong! My daughter grew up in a great Association that had great #'s (due to recruiting elementary kids) along with great coaches. Served on the board so the girls would have a voice at ALL meetings. Found a great Summer Team with a great coach and we played locally & traveled to play the best talent we could find in Canada, Chicago, Michigan, Italy, via Planes, Trains, & Automobiles...whatever we had to do to make it affordable for everyone on our team. To offset expenses we formed our own Tournament in the summer to raise $$$ to fund much of our expense. Lastly, we decided to send our daughter to Private School. All wrong? According to who?
My point is simple. Anybody can hide behind a screen name and whine about how everything is so wrong with Girls Hockey, Privates, Try-outs, Summer AAA Hockey, Hockey Camps, participation #'s, etc., but it really comes down to everyone doing something to solve the problem. If you don't have #'s...RECRUIT, if you don't have $...FUNDRAISE, if you don't like your Association's direction it is headed for girls hockey...GET ON THE BOARD! If you don't like the MSHSL decisions...GO TO A MEETINGS! If you don't like the Talent Gap on HS teams...WORK HARDER!
Our MN Hockey Experience has been beyond what I ever imagined. Proud of our MN Hockey (Boys & Girls)! All the Parents, Coaches, Kids we have met along the way has blessed me with memories & friendships that will last a lifetime!
Amen brother!!