2AA/6AA BIG/Braemar Saturday schedule

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

green4

2AA/6AA BIG/Braemar Saturday schedule

Post by green4 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:31 pm

At Braemar:

noon start time: Ep vs HF

4pm: Tonka vs Prior Lake

At Big:

3pm: BSM vs CDH

7pm: Edina vs Wayzata

It's nice that Edina and wayzata got the late game so you can catch the three that are most likely to be close. Should be a fun little saturday.

MNHockeyFan

Re: 2AA/6AA BIG/Braemar Saturday schedule

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:48 pm

green4 wrote:It's nice that Edina and wayzata got the late game so you can catch the three that are most likely to be close. Should be a fun little saturday.
I love this time of year. 8)

GopherHockey

Post by GopherHockey » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:17 am

Are these games usually packed or can you usually just show up 30 minutes prior and buy a ticket?

Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:39 am

Braemar, usually yes. There will be a ticket line, but it moves quickly.

BIG is a little tighter. Smaller, plus parking there is much worse. You may find yourself over at Normandale.

Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:33 am

Doc Holliday wrote: BIG is a little tighter. Smaller, plus parking there is much worse. You may find yourself over at Normandale.
If only attending the late game, show up when? Whenever possible?

green4

Post by green4 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:22 am

Ep wins 4-2 over HF. Shots were like 36-17 for ep.
I didn't see much of the game, but I can tell you on the controversial goal that was waved off, probably a bad call.
HF would have taken a 3-2 lead with perhaps 7 minutes left, it was initially ruled a goal, but after a long talk they ruled it no goal. The refs came to talk to the goal official who is behind the net, he was standing by many of braemar's employees since it is at the Zamboni entrence. It appears the goal official said he could not see enough to overturn the call. The closest ref seemed pretty confident it was a goal. So take that for what it's worth.

Bayside Tigers

Post by Bayside Tigers » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:29 am

I'm curious if anybody hears why it was ruled no goal. Announcer didn't say anything. Net come off as it was going in maybe...? This was reminiscent of the Bloomington Jefferson Edina game also played at noon a few years back. Jefferson scored the go ahead goal late in the 3rd, and after a lengthy meeting, also with the goal judge, ruled no goal. Same result as the team with the goal waived off went on to lose all momentum & the game.

green4

Post by green4 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:33 am

Bayside Tigers wrote:I'm curious if anybody hears why it was ruled no goal. Announcer didn't say anything. Net come off as it was going in maybe...? This was reminiscent of the Bloomington Jefferson Edina game also played at noon a few years back. Jefferson scored the go ahead goal late in the 3rd, and after a lengthy meeting, also with the goal judge, ruled no goal. Same result as the team with the goal waived off went on to lose all momentum & the game.
My coworker who was back there said hand pass, but it might have been goaltender interference.

Bayside Tigers

Post by Bayside Tigers » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:36 am

Hmmm. They bring in the goal judge to discuss a hand pass or goalie interference? Maybe we'll get some more clarity on the situation soon. Gotta be tough to take if you're on the receiving end of these late game wave offs & then go on to lose. But, that's sports.

marchmadness

Post by marchmadness » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:46 am

I was sitting down near that end of the ice. Puck was up in the air and a HF player batted it down with his hand. Another HF player came and and got a shot off and they scored on he rebound. I couldn't tell if an EP stick touched the puck after the HF glove batted it down. It was a bit of a scrum. As soon as it happened my initial thought was it was a hand pass. Could have gone either way in my opinion. Surprised they overturned it once it was a goal on the ice.

green4

Post by green4 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:16 am

marchmadness wrote:I was sitting down near that end of the ice. Puck was up in the air and a HF player batted it down with his hand. Another HF player came and and got a shot off and they scored on he rebound. I couldn't tell if an EP stick touched the puck after the HF glove batted it down. It was a bit of a scrum. As soon as it happened my initial thought was it was a hand pass. Could have gone either way in my opinion. Surprised they overturned it once it was a goal on the ice.
Yeah, it sounded like it probably should not have counted, but how they came to overturn it was suspect.

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:23 am

It hit the stick of the EP player first - Then the shot, then the rebound goal... The Family got compeletly robbed. And EP should have had atleast 3 more penalities in the the 3rd. The most obvious one was the too many men on the ICE and High sticking, checking from behind...

I have never said this before - But I really believe the refs had it it out for the Family - Could be wrong - but the obvious missed calls, goal taken away can only lead me to believe that.

The 2nd and 3rd period reffing was horrible.

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:59 am

Agree Superstar. It appeared its if the take was on. The too many men on ice that wasn't called was almost as embarrassing as the embellishment call on Family that would have given them a 5 on 3. The family player gets tripped and he falls and they call embellishment. Wow! The check from behind that ep that could have been five that wasn't called was a doozy too. All that said Middlestadt was fun to watch. Family got screwed though. MOE played a good game. GB

marchmadness

Post by marchmadness » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:00 am

I agree there were a couple noncalls and more went in the favor of the Eagles.

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:19 am

GoldenBear wrote:Agree Superstar. It appeared its if the take was on. The too many men on ice that wasn't called was almost as embarrassing as the embellishment call on Family that would have given them a 5 on 3. The family player gets tripped and he falls and they call embellishment. Wow! The check from behind that ep that could have been five that wasn't called was a doozy too. All that said Middlestadt was fun to watch. Family got screwed though. MOE played a good game. GB
Moe played awesome. Never have seen an embellishment call in High School - And I really mean I have personally have never seen it, unbelieveable. And then after the goal waived off, the missed call with Too Many men - they call a slash on HF with 5 mins left - Graham stick gets a little chop, he drops his stick, they call the Family with under 6 mins to go in a 2-2 game?? Couldn't believe it.

edgeUcated

Post by edgeUcated » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:24 am

SuperStar wrote:It hit the stick of the EP player first - Then the shot, then the rebound goal... The Family got compeletly robbed. And EP should have had atleast 3 more penalities in the the 3rd. The most obvious one was the too many men on the ICE and High sticking, checking from behind...

I have never said this before - But I really believe the refs had it it out for the Family - Could be wrong - but the obvious missed calls, goal taken away can only lead me to believe that.

SuperStar - It was clearly a hand pass that was not called right away
Refs actually got it right - kudos to them for having the guts to review and get it right

Rule Reference 618(b).

An opposing player must have at least momentary possession and control of a hand-batted puck, otherwise it is still considered to be a hand pass. In this case the puck was, in effect, batted by hand to a teammate, and play should be stopped as soon as the teammate plays the puck.

Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:38 am

Give us something from your rulebook about the embellishment. Refs had an impact on the outcome of the game which is unfortunate.

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:42 am

edgeUcated wrote:
SuperStar wrote:It hit the stick of the EP player first - Then the shot, then the rebound goal... The Family got compeletly robbed. And EP should have had atleast 3 more penalities in the the 3rd. The most obvious one was the too many men on the ICE and High sticking, checking from behind...

SuperStar - It was clearly a hand pass that was not called right away
Refs actually got it right - kudos to them for having the guts to review and get it right

Rule Reference 618(b).

An opposing player must have at least momentary possession and control of a hand-batted puck, otherwise it is still considered to be a hand pass. In this case the puck was, in effect, batted by hand to a teammate, and play should be stopped as soon as the teammate plays the puck.
NO it wasn't a hand pass. The puck came in high and the HF player batted it straight down, bounces, hits the EP player stick, The Family shoot, save, rebound, shoot again, score.

If it was a hand pass it would have been called immediately - You had 3 refs in the zone staring at the play. The ref closets to the play would have waived it off right away, but he didn't. The other refs would have waived it off immediately as well, but they didn't. They called a goal. the goal judge confirmed. End of story. Somehow the refs got talked into calling it off - why even TALK TO the goal Judge?? It ain't his job to talk about stuff other than, was it a goal..? YES, it was.

So to your point, NO KUDOS to the refs. Bad reversal call. Then they blow the too many men, and others afterwards - then call a very, very weak call on the Fire for slashing after all that?? NO KUDOS to any of those refs - Embarrasing is what I call it and I don't even have a kid in High School anymore. All I can say is WOW.

Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:47 am

The hand pass is the most over called and incorrectly called infraction in HS hockey and the net being hit off intentionally is the most uncalled thing.

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:49 am

Nuts&Bolts wrote:The hand pass is the most over called and incorrectly called infraction in HS hockey and the net being hit off intentionally is the most uncalled thing.
Couldn't agree more.

blindref

Post by blindref » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:18 am

SuperStar wrote:
Nuts&Bolts wrote:The hand pass is the most over called and incorrectly called infraction in HS hockey and the net being hit off intentionally is the most uncalled thing.
Couldn't agree more.
A hand pass that goes directly on goal is an immediate whistle.
Was the ep stick that touched the puck belong to the goalie?

gitter

Post by gitter » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:25 am

My two cents with no allegiance to either team.

It was a hand pass and should have been called that on the ice immediately. Opposing team needs to gain possession not just bounce off a stick, shin pad, etc. just like a delayed penalty. Just more evidence of the AWFUL officiating. EP should have had a check from behind and a high stick...sad not called as those are semi-dangerous plays. I will admit I missed the too many men on the ice so I can't comment on that.

I hate the embellishment-and-penalty call at ANY level. To me it's either a penalty (and therefore non-issue if he dives or not) or it's not a penalty (and the guy tries to sell it by diving). Not Both. But that's just me.

At any rate, HF did get worked over a bit in the penalty department by the refs. It was still an entertaining game to watch.

marchmadness

Post by marchmadness » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:28 am

No. it was a scramble in front. The defenseman was tangled with the guy who batted it down so if anything it would have touched the defenseman's stick. Again, I was sitting probably 50 feet from where it happened and my first thought was it was a hand pass. I don't know the exact rule but they player batted it down and the next person to control it was his teammate who shot it on net. Tough call. Either side would have had a complaint with the call. I was just surprised they reversed it after deliberating for 5 minutes.

Bayside Tigers

Post by Bayside Tigers » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:59 am

There is only one way to settle this dispute: video replays. Who has this evidence? Whatever conclusion is drawn, that team should advance to play Edina or Minnitonka or whoever won that game. I don't know who is in what section anymore.

marchmadness

Post by marchmadness » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:07 pm

Prior Lake over Tonka 3-2. Both 1 seeds gone in 2 and 6. Wow.