2AA/6AA BIG/Braemar Saturday schedule

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

C-dad

Post by C-dad »

SuperStar wrote: Bottom line is HF got shafted by the calls - I think everyone is in agreement with that.
Everyone who was a HF fan.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

C-dad wrote:
hockeyguy272 wrote:Superstar's argument lost all credibility when he tried to say the people in the box mess up the shots because they think goals are shots..... [-X
Yup. :roll:
Ditto. Goals are shots on goal. #-o

And, based on my seeing the video, that was a hand pass.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

After watching the video I can see why it ended up being a messy call. Pretty tough to be sure on replay several times. Very tough watching live once.

It looks like it ended up being ruled correctly at least. I do also understand the argument as far as reversing the original call.

Again, though kind of messy, I think it ended up being the correct call.

No matter which way that one went, somebody was going to be irate.

JMHO
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

green4 wrote:5-3 final with Wayzata winning. I missed the end shots because I was with my dad and he wanted to get out of there in a hurry.
Probably not as close a game as the score makes it appear.
The other games I watched Edina play Wayzata it felt the same, frustrating. They forecheck so well and it wears their opponent down. By the time you break it out, you dump to get a change and wayzata picks it up and is going back at you. When you finally actually carry it into their zone, it feels like one and done. One shot and they break it out. They do a great job forcing everything to the outside and blocking shots. It is just a frustrating team to watch when you are rooting for the other team.
The thing about this Wayzata team that I think is different than others is that they are built for this system that O'leary has put in place. When you look back, O'leary perhaps forced this style on players like Zimmer, who would not benefit from it. But now, you look at Sorenson, Senden, Anderson this is a system that fits their style of play.
Anyway, in the 3rd Wayzata scored pretty quickly to make it 4-2. Linstrand took a shot from the left point, and Riley tipped it for a goal. From my spot you could see the whole thing. Riley really chopped down on the tip, and it just turned into a slow dribbler. I could see degrood moving in the opposite direction as he read the initial shot.
At that moment Edina needed a response, otherwise they were done. They never got it, and it just felt like they were gonna lose, they were just out of gas.
Wayzata scored from the right point on a knuckle puck like shot from I believe Kubinski. Degrood probably should have saved it, but he might have been screened. Hard to tell from my angle, but the shot looked innocent. But that made it 5-2 with not much time left.
Edina scored with around 2 minutes left when Mickleson's shot was deflected by Scheerer. It felt similar to the goal by Riley.
In the second to last minute Edina had some good chances. Scheerer, Copeland and Brinkman all had some looks. Brinkman had a wide open shot and I thought he was gonna score but Urban for wayzata made a fantastic block where he seemed to catch the puck.
The final minute ended with Wayzata gaining the red line and dumping it back into Edina's zone continuously.

BIG was packed for this game, probably at 120% capacity. It was a fun atmosphere, Wayzata had the band and a better student section vocally.
Wayzata earned the win, they were the better team and to beat a team four times in a season shows that.
At the game & I kind of came to the same consensus. As talented as Phillips & Brinkman are, you could just kind of see the "old man" strength that Wayzata had, especially in the Edina zone. I thought after Edina's first goal, they buzzed a bit & almost knocked in a 2nd; would have been interesting to see if that would have changed anything. But Wayzata was able to just stay the course & really no doubt who the better team was. After the 4th goal, there was never really the sense that Edina was going to be able to get 2. Seemed like they were rolling 2 lines most of the night & you kind of could see things getting a little bit sloppy & lazy, not due to effort but fatigue.

5th goal: I was behind the net with others & that thing knuckled super hard. Was seriously a 12 to 6 o'clock curve ball that dropped off the table. Nobody behind the net was questioning that as a bad goal.

Edina will be back; Dornbach was really the only impact senior that I saw that Edina will be losing. Mickelson played a lot, but I don't consider him more than just a guy. Question now is whether some guys stay; Walker's family has a history & rumors about Brinkman. But Edina will be back.

I was very impressed with Wayzata; good size, good speed, good strength. I was very impressed with Sorensen.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

"Guys, we're down 4-0, but we're outshooting them 7 to 2. We're owning the play."
-SuperStar's speech to team after 1st intermission to his team in locker room.
the_juiceman

Re: Sorry I disagree.

Post by the_juiceman »

SuperStar wrote:
BowlusGoon wrote:
Clarkkent wrote:I can count on very few fingers how many times officials have truly had a final impact on a game. The EP/HF game was one of those. Not to bash but it was just puzzling. The first coincidental penalty the EP shoved HF mask up over his nose and the HF didn't even react except for skating back to the bench. The second trip on EP where the HF kid was called for embellishment was crazy, the EP kid totally took the feet out from right under him. I was 20 feet away. The retracted goal was also a joke. They had plenty of time to call a hand pass but did not. None of the officials made the hand pass signal that I saw and the puck was bouncing around players from both teams. It was at least 7 seconds after that that HF scored. If no goal would've been scored, a hand pass would not have been called-simple. Then they call the GOAL JUDGE in who is a MINOR official and has no authority on any call other than if the puck cross the line, gets waved over for his input...WHAT?? THAT showed the complete ineptitude of these officials officiating a very big semi final game between two very good teams. In what I believe was the second period HF #22 got crossed checked with a 2-hand to the mask and the ref was looking right at it-You could hear the contact throughout the building. What referee association are they from? Then of course, EP goes on a pp 1 minute after on a neutral zone call that, based on previous call, could have been embellishment too- and 30 seconds after that EP has 6 skaters and the puck hits the skate of player coming off the ice. Easy call. So bottom line, especially if you didn't see the game in person, the refs did sadly impact this game several times over.
I was at the game to watch what I expected to be a great game. I do not have any allegiance to Hf or EP. What I saw through out the game was EP dominating HF, and a very undisciplined HF team. The HF head coach was barking at every call the ref made and was really out of control. Unfortunately the HF players fed of their coaches antics. I was really embarrassed for the HF coach, was very animated the entire game. I saw a lot of stick work by the HF team in the first period and an EP team who ignored the nonsense until midway thru the 2nd. EP started to retaliate the rest of the game. The play in particular you call out for the conincidental penalties you fail to mention the HF throwing the first punch prior to his face mask getting shove up his nose. I think taking both players was the right call...I also saw a HF player spear an EP player in the cup, and the EP player returns the favor, and the HF player giving him a 2 hand whack to the ankles. I have to be honest I do not feel HF was being screwed by the refs. All penalties a saw were legitimate, they could have called a few more on both teams but they were letting the teams play.

The hand pass was the correct call. If you want to blame anyone, blame HF . It was an another undisiplaned play by HF. Your on a power play no way do you jump up swat the puck to a teammate. That will get called every time. The puck went directly to a HF player and he gets 2 shots off. EP did not touch the puck. It was the correct call.

You also cannot assume HF would have won that game given the goal stands. Shots were 2:1 in favor of EP. HF had plenty of time to score, but HF followed the lead of their coach and played undisiplaned hockey and EP SCORES 2 times. HF finished the game with a check from behind...sorry I was not impressed with HF and I don't think they would have made it to state. EP HAS GOALIE issues, and I won't be surprised if they go down on Wednesday.
Here is the video, including the hand pass.

http://youtu.be/pL3ahS-JptY
You don't have be impressed with SOG, In most games it doesn't mean much - cause 90% of the shots are from the outside - In most High School games the SOG are inaccruate to say the least - its parents of the local rink keeping track and 99% of the time they are way off - They even counted Goals as shots on net - which they are NOT. They will count count shots that hit the pipe, Which are not SOG, etc..

It wasn't a hand pass - VERY CLEAR on your own video..It was a puck batted down and clearly hit EP players stick - Watch number 4 for EP at go down and stick out his stick..Very clear! and then HF played the puck. Total 'rob job' by the refs - VERY CLEAR! Shots on net don't mean Sh__. Scoring chances mean everything.

Holy Family got SHAFTED in the 2nd and 3rd period with calls. - It is clear and no doubt about.. 100% absolutely no doubt.

a goal isn't a shot on goal? what are you talking about? not a save, but certainly a shot on goal.
SuperStar

Re: Sorry I disagree.

Post by SuperStar »

the_juiceman wrote:
SuperStar wrote:
BowlusGoon wrote: I was at the game to watch what I expected to be a great game. I do not have any allegiance to Hf or EP. What I saw through out the game was EP dominating HF, and a very undisciplined HF team. The HF head coach was barking at every call the ref made and was really out of control. Unfortunately the HF players fed of their coaches antics. I was really embarrassed for the HF coach, was very animated the entire game. I saw a lot of stick work by the HF team in the first period and an EP team who ignored the nonsense until midway thru the 2nd. EP started to retaliate the rest of the game. The play in particular you call out for the conincidental penalties you fail to mention the HF throwing the first punch prior to his face mask getting shove up his nose. I think taking both players was the right call...I also saw a HF player spear an EP player in the cup, and the EP player returns the favor, and the HF player giving him a 2 hand whack to the ankles. I have to be honest I do not feel HF was being screwed by the refs. All penalties a saw were legitimate, they could have called a few more on both teams but they were letting the teams play.

The hand pass was the correct call. If you want to blame anyone, blame HF . It was an another undisiplaned play by HF. Your on a power play no way do you jump up swat the puck to a teammate. That will get called every time. The puck went directly to a HF player and he gets 2 shots off. EP did not touch the puck. It was the correct call.

You also cannot assume HF would have won that game given the goal stands. Shots were 2:1 in favor of EP. HF had plenty of time to score, but HF followed the lead of their coach and played undisiplaned hockey and EP SCORES 2 times. HF finished the game with a check from behind...sorry I was not impressed with HF and I don't think they would have made it to state. EP HAS GOALIE issues, and I won't be surprised if they go down on Wednesday.
Here is the video, including the hand pass.

http://youtu.be/pL3ahS-JptY
You don't have be impressed with SOG, In most games it doesn't mean much - cause 90% of the shots are from the outside - In most High School games the SOG are inaccruate to say the least - its parents of the local rink keeping track and 99% of the time they are way off - They even counted Goals as shots on net - which they are NOT. They will count count shots that hit the pipe, Which are not SOG, etc..

It wasn't a hand pass - VERY CLEAR on your own video..It was a puck batted down and clearly hit EP players stick - Watch number 4 for EP at go down and stick out his stick..Very clear! and then HF played the puck. Total 'rob job' by the refs - VERY CLEAR! Shots on net don't mean Sh__. Scoring chances mean everything.

Holy Family got SHAFTED in the 2nd and 3rd period with calls. - It is clear and no doubt about.. 100% absolutely no doubt.

a goal isn't a shot on goal? what are you talking about? not a save, but certainly a shot on goal.
My mistake on that ONE item - I was always told that they don't count a goal twice - as a shot and a goal. I guess I am wrong on that one.

But all you Bafoons that went to the game, cannnot deny that the Family got total screwed on the calls in the 2nd and 3rd. No doubt!
yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey »

Here is my take on the HF/EP. Like someone earlier, I had no dog in that fight and was simply there to watch hockey

Refs make mistakes and miss calls many times during a game. This happens at every level of hockey from Mites on up to pros. Get over it. Quit acting like a spoiled fan just because your team didn't win. Be gracious in defeat, believe me it will get you a lot further in life.

I was actually surprised how the refs kept letting HF stall after every whistle. Whether it was a HF player chatting it up with the refs or their coach complaining yet again about something. HF was very slow changing their lines and the refs didn't seem to figure out they were stalling (Hats off to HF for getting away with it).

The better team won. No one can dispute that. #11 for EP proved again why he is one of the top kids in the nation playing the game at that age group. Example - 2nd period he chased down HF's top skater, stole the puck headed back down the ice and almost scored. One of the best plays you will see all year long. I guarantee you every scout was immediately jotting down notes after that play

#3 for HF is very fun to watch. HF goalie had a great game as well.

HF has to start playing big boy hockey. It will be tough for them to compete when they only play 10-11 skaters. If I was guessing, I would say the percentage of ice time for the 3 lines was as follows HF -55/40/5 and EP was 40/35/25. I felt sorry for the 10-12 HF kids who sat at the end of the bench probably still wearing their skate guards.

It was a hand pass. My eyes (and the video) tells me a HF player knocked the puck down with his hand and it appears the first player to touch the puck when it hit the ice was a HF player. The refs got together, pulled in the goal judge (which they can/should do in this case) and made the call. I actually thought HF played very well after the call and the game could have still gone either way. And if the HF fans are going to complain about the slashing call understand this. Once you take away an offense play with a slash, it's going to get called every time. Behind the scenes, maybe not. But when the guy with the puck is coming into the offensive zone it will.

Good luck to EP as they move on and hats off to the HF team for a nice run at the end of the season. Hopefully in the future these two teams start playing each other a few times during the regular season
FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE »

Hand pass verified by video......nothing more to say about it except the refs did a great job to get the call correct. :wink:
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

No doubt it was the right call. There has to be some type of protocol/procedure for a mess like that. A 9 minute discussion and calling in of the goal judge, who's one and only job is to say if the puck crossed the line or not. Seems unreasonable enough, to question if in fact a call missed on the ice can be changed after play is stopped regardless of the impact on the game. Any refs want to weigh in on that? I mean isn't it sort of akin to a penalty happening, the whistle blowing 20 seconds later and the ref saying well I missed that one, I'm going to call it now that I've had a chance to process it? Once again I'd like to hear from some referee's.
BowlusGoon

Post by BowlusGoon »

yesiplayedhockey wrote:Here is my take on the HF/EP. Like someone earlier, I had no dog in that fight and was simply there to watch hockey

Refs make mistakes and miss calls many times during a game. This happens at every level of hockey from Mites on up to pros. Get over it. Quit acting like a spoiled fan just because your team didn't win. Be gracious in defeat, believe me it will get you a lot further in life.

I was actually surprised how the refs kept letting HF stall after every whistle. Whether it was a HF player chatting it up with the refs or their coach complaining yet again about something. HF was very slow changing their lines and the refs didn't seem to figure out they were stalling (Hats off to HF for getting away with it).

The better team won. No one can dispute that. #11 for EP proved again why he is one of the top kids in the nation playing the game at that age group. Example - 2nd period he chased down HF's top skater, stole the puck headed back down the ice and almost scored. One of the best plays you will see all year long. I guarantee you every scout was immediately jotting down notes after that play

#3 for HF is very fun to watch. HF goalie had a great game as well.

HF has to start playing big boy hockey. It will be tough for them to compete when they only play 10-11 skaters. If I was guessing, I would say the percentage of ice time for the 3 lines was as follows HF -55/40/5 and EP was 40/35/25. I felt sorry for the 10-12 HF kids who sat at the end of the bench probably still wearing their skate guards.

It was a hand pass. My eyes (and the video) tells me a HF player knocked the puck down with his hand and it appears the first player to touch the puck when it hit the ice was a HF player. The refs got together, pulled in the goal judge (which they can/should do in this case) and made the call. I actually thought HF played very well after the call and the game could have still gone either way. And if the HF fans are going to complain about the slashing call understand this. Once you take away an offense play with a slash, it's going to get called every time. Behind the scenes, maybe not. But when the guy with the puck is coming into the offensive zone it will.

Good luck to EP as they move on and hats off to the HF team for a nice run at the end of the season. Hopefully in the future these two teams start playing each other a few times during the regular season
Agreed.
Superstar, sorry you are wrong on your entire one sided take on the game. No buffoons wwere allowed in the game without a leash .

Those of us who came to the game just to watch a hockey game did not see any bias Against HF. I was with a group of 5 other friends from all over the metro, and we did have your take. I feel HF dodged a big bullet when a HF player speared a EP player in the nuts. Should have been a Dq and 5 minute power play in the first period. Happen directly in front of me. That would have been game over...
I would add the HF coach hurt his team with his lack of composure, and it obviously worked the HF fan base and players up. Again I don't have a dog in this fight, but I did not fell the refs were 1 sided on penalties towards HF. I think they were letting the players decide the game and not penalties. The penalties were equal if you exclude the check from behind by the HF player after the final whistle. They let penalties slide on both sides, just like any other game.

I just read HF coach quotes after the game in the Strib, and he needs to grow up. He argued every call and carried on like a 5 year old on the bench. The refs did not blow this game, your team lost to a better team on Saturday. EP scored more goals. Stop crying
Last edited by BowlusGoon on Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
green4

Post by green4 »

Doc Holliday wrote:
green4 wrote:5-3 final with Wayzata winning. I missed the end shots because I was with my dad and he wanted to get out of there in a hurry.
The other games I watched Edina play Wayzata it felt the same, frustrating. They forecheck so well and it wears their opponent down. By the time you break it out, you dump to get a change and wayzata picks it up and is going back at you. When you finally actually carry it into their zone, it feels like one and done. One shot and they break it out. They do a great job forcing everything to the outside and blocking shots. It is just a frustrating team to watch when you are rooting for the other team.
The thing about this Wayzata team that I think is different than others is that they are built for this system that O'leary has put in place. When you look back, O'leary perhaps forced this style on players like Zimmer, who would not benefit from it. But now, you look at Sorenson, Senden, Anderson this is a system that fits their style of play.
Anyway, in the 3rd Wayzata scored pretty quickly to make it 4-2. Linstrand took a shot from the left point, and Riley tipped it for a goal. From my spot you could see the whole thing. Riley really chopped down on the tip, and it just turned into a slow dribbler. I could see degrood moving in the opposite direction as he read the initial shot.
At that moment Edina needed a response, otherwise they were done. They never got it, and it just felt like they were gonna lose, they were just out of gas.
Wayzata scored from the right point on a knuckle puck like shot from I believe Kubinski. Degrood probably should have saved it, but he might have been screened. Hard to tell from my angle, but the shot looked innocent. But that made it 5-2 with not much time left.
Edina scored with around 2 minutes left when Mickleson's shot was deflected by Scheerer. It felt similar to the goal by Riley.
In the second to last minute Edina had some good chances. Scheerer, Copeland and Brinkman all had some looks. Brinkman had a wide open shot and I thought he was gonna score but Urban for wayzata made a fantastic block where he seemed to catch the puck.
The final minute ended with Wayzata gaining the red line and dumping it back into Edina's zone continuously.

BIG was packed for this game, probably at 120% capacity. It was a fun atmosphere, Wayzata had the band and a better student section vocally.
Wayzata earned the win, they were the better team and to beat a team four times in a season shows that.
At the game & I kind of came to the same consensus. As talented as Phillips & Brinkman are, you could just kind of see the "old man" strength that Wayzata had, especially in the Edina zone. I thought after Edina's first goal, they buzzed a bit & almost knocked in a 2nd; would have been interesting to see if that would have changed anything. But Wayzata was able to just stay the course & really no doubt who the better team was. After the 4th goal, there was never really the sense that Edina was going to be able to get 2. Seemed like they were rolling 2 lines most of the night & you kind of could see things getting a little bit sloppy & lazy, not due to effort but fatigue.

5th goal: I was behind the net with others & that thing knuckled super hard. Was seriously a 12 to 6 o'clock curve ball that dropped off the table. Nobody behind the net was questioning that as a bad goal.

Edina will be back; Dornbach was really the only impact senior that I saw that Edina will be losing. Mickelson played a lot, but I don't consider him more than just a guy. Question now is whether some guys stay; Walker's family has a history & rumors about Brinkman. But Edina will be back.

I was very impressed with Wayzata; good size, good speed, good strength. I was very impressed with Sorensen.
Yeah I agree with all that. Edina's best chances came in the first and if they would have gotten one more, who knows. But yes, by the later part of the game they just looked worn down. The skating had lost a gear and the passing was no where near as sharp.

I did notice that puck knuckle, but I coudn't see from my seat the extent, so thank you for clarifying that. Degrood played a nice game, he had a big first period I thought that gave Edina a chance.

They will be back, and I hope nobody leaves because if they return the whole top line they could be dangerous. The good thing about walker is the college commitment probably keeps him in the USA and he might need one more year to grow before the USHL wants him. But who knows, he is talented.
It would be a bummer if Brinkman left since he only played 7 games or so. I think Phillips is the most likely to leave, but we will see.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

green4 wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:

Yeah I agree with all that. Edina's best chances came in the first and if they would have gotten one more, who knows. But yes, by the later part of the game they just looked worn down. The skating had lost a gear and the passing was no where near as sharp.

I did notice that puck knuckle, but I coudn't see from my seat the extent, so thank you for clarifying that. Degrood played a nice game, he had a big first period I thought that gave Edina a chance.

They will be back, and I hope nobody leaves because if they return the whole top line they could be dangerous. The good thing about walker is the college commitment probably keeps him in the USA and he might need one more year to grow before the USHL wants him. But who knows, he is talented.
It would be a bummer if Brinkman left since he only played 7 games or so. I think Phillips is the most likely to leave, but we will see.
Why didn't Tabor play at all?
edgeUcated

Post by edgeUcated »

One last comment - Hats off to EP players for not getting baited into another circa 2015 Battle Royal -- A HF player with a 2-handed cross check to an EP players head along the boards with no time left on the clock trying his hardest to instigate yet another Holy War against EP. To the EP players credit this year they just skated away. I believe the HF player got a game misconduct which will mean he has to sit out against probably Dassel/Cokato.

Those silly Catholic Boys - fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. All hard feelings set aside, HF has a good squad and fun to see the rivalries build -- love to hate relationships hopefully in good competitive spirit. Look it has kept us chatting/bantering for 3-days now. Calling each other buffoons :)

Last edited by edgeUcated on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
green4

Post by green4 »

WarmUpTheBus wrote: Why didn't Tabor play at all?
Geez, to tell you the truth I didn't even notice that he was absent at the time.
Perhaps he was hurt, but my guess would be with Johnson back in, Giles only wanted to run four D.
Seems strange, they definitely could have used his physicality and skating another player for depth would seem like a good idea.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Funny you even say that....I only noticed Phillips, Brinkman & Mickelson. HA.
green4

Post by green4 »

Doc Holliday wrote:Funny you even say that....I only noticed Phillips, Brinkman & Mickelson. HA.
Yeah, Johnson played, but his time was pretty limited too. I'm guessing whatever kept him out was still hindering him because I thought he was their best defensive dman all year. Strange
50in15

Post by 50in15 »

I posted this on a different subject yesterday but should have posted it here. Similar to other sentiments. Lack of class on the Holy Family side.

Was at the Wayzata game. HF should have been as well. You can see what classy programs do (and don't do) when it is apparent their season is over.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:35 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Walking into Braemar yesterday, I planned on rooting for holy family, the new kid on the block. That quickly changed when I realized the fan base was a bunch of soccer moms. Clueless about rules but more than willing to yell at refs, every time a player hit the ice and never willing to see their team clutching and grabbing. Really enjoyed 50 year olds behind me yelling "bullsh$!" Multiple times and even dropping a few "fu@& u" and this was well before the no goal call when things exploded. To no surprise, rivers flow downstream so when the game got to 4-2, the team showed 00 class. #4 and #10 head hunted on neautral zone face off. The coach kept them out their after an icing call, at which point they elbowed, cross checked, and hit from behind every player they could find and injured 1 (player appeared to be ok). Game ends and the soccer fans continue to boo and yell. 10 or 4 got a game misconduct after the game. Completely classless.

For the plays listed previously, friends and I thought it was a hand pass but the refs handled it poorly. Probably no goal was the correct call.

The holy family player jumped liked Levine on the embellishment call. Friends and I were laughing hysterically before realizing there were any penalties.

The late penalty on hf could have been a no call but the player did stop moving his feet and did a downward motion on the stick. So argument could be made for the call.

Went to the prior lake and wayzata games as well. Very welled played, clean, classy in the stands and on the ice. Impressed by the team speed of both winners.