Congrats to the Ms. Hockey and Senior Goalie Semifinalist

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:02 am

Also remember that to be considered for any awards, the committee is from the MGHCA and the coaches have to be members for any of their players to be considered.

luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:06 am

luckyEPDad wrote:I've been watching Presley Norby for years thinking "Who's that annoying little girl causing so much havoc around the net?" She's been a thorn in Eden Prairie's side from way back in 2009 (I think) when I wondered where the heck the NWC River Hawks were from when I first saw them in our pool at the Edina Cake Eater tournament. Shut down that annoying little blonde girl and you win the game, but shutting down Norby was never easy.

This year, with my daughter graduated, Norby stopped being so annoying and I could sit back and enjoy the artistry of her play. I think she may be the best skater in the state, seamless transitions, fantastic speed, incredible acceleration, always able to find a lane. Her game is beautiful. She is a joy to watch.

It was unfortunate that Norby didn't have a chance to play at the state tournament her senior year (I know how painful that final loss can be). At the section finals we saw once again that if you shut down Norby you win the game, and EP did just that (not sure why it took three games for Grossman to figure that out). But I am not going to complain. EP did go on to win the state tournament (one year too late), and Norby did become Ms Hockey.

Congrats Presely, I can't think of anyone more deserving of the honor. Looking forward to watching you play at Ridder, even if you're wearing the wrong colors. If I hear someone ask "Who's that annoying little blonde girl giving the Gophers such a fit?" I'll tell them all about you.
I just got spanked for this. I do not mean to diminish the accomplishments of the Minnetonka girls in the least. They are a great team that does not live or die with the heroics of one player. Instead of taking this as "Minnetonka is nothing without Presely Norby" please read as "If you don't shut down Presely Norby you will pay."

MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:09 am

luckyEPDad wrote:
luckyEPDad wrote:I've been watching Presley Norby for years thinking "Who's that annoying little girl causing so much havoc around the net?" She's been a thorn in Eden Prairie's side from way back in 2009 (I think) when I wondered where the heck the NWC River Hawks were from when I first saw them in our pool at the Edina Cake Eater tournament. Shut down that annoying little blonde girl and you win the game, but shutting down Norby was never easy.

This year, with my daughter graduated, Norby stopped being so annoying and I could sit back and enjoy the artistry of her play. I think she may be the best skater in the state, seamless transitions, fantastic speed, incredible acceleration, always able to find a lane. Her game is beautiful. She is a joy to watch.

It was unfortunate that Norby didn't have a chance to play at the state tournament her senior year (I know how painful that final loss can be). At the section finals we saw once again that if you shut down Norby you win the game, and EP did just that (not sure why it took three games for Grossman to figure that out). But I am not going to complain. EP did go on to win the state tournament (one year too late), and Norby did become Ms Hockey.

Congrats Presely, I can't think of anyone more deserving of the honor. Looking forward to watching you play at Ridder, even if you're wearing the wrong colors. If I hear someone ask "Who's that annoying little blonde girl giving the Gophers such a fit?" I'll tell them all about you.
I just got spanked for this. I do not mean to diminish the accomplishments of the Minnetonka girls in the least. They are a great team that does not live or die with the heroics of one player. Instead of taking this as "Minnetonka is nothing without Presely Norby" please read as "If you don't shut down Presely Norby you will pay."
Sounds like some people are too sensitive, that was a nice tribute and there was no need to elaborate.

luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:21 am

And I should make it clear I am not slamming Jamie. It was great to see him tear up as he joined his players on the ice to celebrate. He genuinely cares about the girls and works hard to make them the best team they can be. Do I resent that this didn't happen a year earlier? Maybe just a little. Hey, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not perfect.

jerseyoverhead

Post by jerseyoverhead » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:42 pm

Jiblet wrote:I am not denying that there should be an award for top senior goalie. Simply that there should be 10 semifinalists and 5 finalists. And if everyone has the opportunity at all state, why was the best goalie in the state tourney not all state? And Lauren Bench is All state because she was a finalist for senior goalie. Just pointing out most of these awards are decided by people who don't truly watch or understand the game and the best players in the state.
greybeard58 wrote:Also remember that to be considered for any awards, the committee is from the MGHCA and the coaches have to be members for any of their players to be considered.
All-State and Honorable Mention lists 2015/16 A and AA:

http://www.mghca.com/page/show/115699-mghca-all-state

Hansonbrother

Post by Hansonbrother » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:25 pm

massalsa wrote:
Jiblet wrote:Congrats to Norby. Best player in the state this year. Sorry having the best player doesn't mean you get to state 36guy. Also Brenneman was the best senior candidate. They need to reduce the goalie semi finalists and finalists however because the best goalies aren't seniors. Seems watered down. Also because so many seniors are up for the award they get All-State awards over other worthy players. Which is also a joke.
I agree on the congrats to both senior winners. Each of the Ms. Hockey finalists were definitely worthy of the award. But...(this is a forum for discussion correct?!?)

Like any award I think that one can construct an argument or two for another candidate or two:

Brodt: Not even close to the surrounding cast of teammates to Norby, Bullock, or Steffen. Was only able to see her in person 1x and was impressed.

Steffen: Might be the opposite of Brodt with such a great supporting cast that it was hard at times to notice how great she was with such high end talent surrounding her.

Bullock: Best pure goal scorer in the field?

Norby: Best out of HS season resume (ever? USA 18 2x + USA 22). The fastest skater I saw all season...almost Randy Moss-ish if that makes any sense.

Robinson: Only was able to see play a couple of times in the off season (and last season 2x) so not an opinion on this HS season. Very strong when I saw her play.
All these players are great players, and comparing them is almost ridiculous. I've seen them all, and everyone of them offers something different than the other. Bullock is just a pure scorer...more so than Norby. Norby is just a great all around player. Robinson and Steffen are the best defensemen the state has to offer, period. Both are ridiculously good. Robinson has size and speed, Steffen has quickness and puck smarts...both incredibly fun to watch.

What made me mad was, how does the goalie from BSM not even get nominated for senior goalie of the year? I got to see her play a couple of times this year, and lets be honest, BSM wasn't exactly great this year, but because of this goalie, they were in every game. That team was outshot 40-15 almost every game, and yet almost every game was within 1 or 2 goals depending on whether they pulled the goalie or not. I just thought this was one player that was completely under the radar...

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:54 am

Hansonbrother wrote: What made me mad was, how does the goalie from BSM not even get nominated for senior goalie of the year? I got to see her play a couple of times this year, and lets be honest, BSM wasn't exactly great this year, but because of this goalie, they were in every game. That team was outshot 40-15 almost every game, and yet almost every game was within 1 or 2 goals depending on whether they pulled the goalie or not. I just thought this was one player that was completely under the radar...
Agree that she was lights out good. Check out these stats (from about 5 min of quick research on the hub and letsplayhockey):

.931 save % (tied or better than 2 finalists)
SOS of 6 (KRACH's data, compared to 10 finalists #3, #8, #8, #11, #21, #22, #35, #42, #51, & #58 )

Only gave up 2 goals against Eden Prairie, 2 goals against Maple Grove, & 3 goals against Hill Murray (60 shots on goal)!

MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:13 am

Here's what I've learned in 5 years of HS hockey about shots on goal.

1. They are subjective and some schools do a much better job of counting them than others.

2. Some schools SOGs are even able to breed and reproduce in between the time they get recorded at the rink and when they get entered in the Hub.

3. A 35 foot dump in counts the same as a breakaway, good teams give up a lot less scoring opportunities and the same goalie would have a much different save percentage if she played for Rosemount vs (Really good team). (Really good team) could write 2017 in Sharpie on a traffic cone next year, put it in the crease and it would post a .925 save percentage and be up for Senior Goalie.

Obviously that's an exaggeration but every year there are examples of quality kids getting overlooked because either their stats aren't good enough or their team isn't good enough. It's just the way it is, I guarantee there's more examples than just the BSM goalie.